Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

lady named Lindy Chamberlain, pretty brutal story turned into a mean punchline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

PROBABLY not

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Without going too obscure, who are the "Australiana" bands that never got big outside of Australia? And I am more thinking bands that didn't translate to foreign audiences, as opposed to bands that were just not good enough to get famous overseas.

As mentioned there is TISM, and Cold Chisel. But who else are/were superstars in Oz, but nobodies overseas?

I would posit Crowded House as a band that fits this criteria. As well as possibly Savage Garden and Human Nature. Darryl Braithwaite also qualifies as a local superstar who would be unknown anywhere else.

Silverchair maybe? they're a pretty nineties touchstone

could go further back to like The Easybeats and John Paul Young maybe

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

maybe Daddy Cool and Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs?

hot drat those Aztecs live releases are great

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Outrail posted:

Gonna offer "Wake in fright" for bleakest Australiana film.

I love Wake in Fright

The Mockingbird is a recent dynamite Aussie film but it's harrowing. Same with Snowtown

also I think Wolf Creek 2 is better than the original and has a much weirder take on white australians

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

https://youtu.be/PA0riGc6cWw

body melt is as Australian as it gets

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

big austin powers "that's a man baby" energy

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

soon all seasons will be redundant and we'll just have apocalyptic heat or boulder-sized hailstorms

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ten bucks a night? you can't afford not to stay here!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kharnifex posted:

The cokes poo poo here why bother

you have to do nearly a kilo a night to even feel anything at all

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Aware posted:

Counterpoint - a lot of those old varieties were poo poo.

everything but ricco, mintina, cherry crown and the new peanut wafer is still pretty much available everywhere

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Jestery posted:

That's that best photo of him they had ...

he has a large head but a small face

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Sanity sold me the Living End "Prisoner of Society" ep and the Rammstein album "Mutter" when I was a young boy and I remember both experiences very fondly

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

baaderbrains posted:

Trippy taco for veg stuff as well and it’s either amazing or total dogshit, no in between, depending on what substances the backpackers in the kitchen are on at the time.

the tofu asada burrito i had from TT was unreal, one of the nicest things i've ever eaten

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Pic: Unprotected workers shovel loose tailings into drums

whoof i started coughing just looking at this.

asbestos doesn't gently caress around, it's gotten two of my friend's parents who were old tradies that only started properly protecting against it way too late

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

I hope all you cunts got on the piss and had a great Straya Day.

massive day of sinking beers, huffing bongs and drawing on butchers paper

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I hope we get a new Where's The Beef campaign

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I need to buy a reusable straw, the paper one at the cinema disintegrated into oblivion a third of the way through the drink

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I for one do not miss the crawling misshapen nightmare mounds lurking on the footpath every morning

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

EoinCannon posted:

Now Phillip Adams is someone who I will legitimately mourn when he dies
There's probably heaps of stuff I never heard of, I mean he worked for the Labor party and in the film industry, but I liked his radio show and he generally seemed to have good opinions and a sense of humour

yeah I love LNL on RN, it's been on my arvo commute for years now and is still as sort of provoking and comforting as ever

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

yeah more options means there's just an endless abyss of content to scroll through, just tell me "here's True Lies again, have an ad break every twenty five"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

dunno if it's that sudden - her fanbase has been kind of insane for a few years now

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

spaceblancmange posted:

have an extremely cursed australiana image

spending ages adjusting my dictionaries so the key words are underlined by MS word

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

derros never
plonkers forever

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

You can be a yob or a wanker

welp that's gonna be in my head for the rest of the night

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Beardcrumb posted:

RRR is where it's at. Where else can you listen to 18 different genres of music, a crystal huffing space cadet dropping obscure knowledge about gong music, and an old man constantly saying gently caress the libs on live radio - all in a single day?

community radio still owns. Three D rules

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Whoforthenwhat posted:

Catholicism has a great one with confession.

Be bad? Confess, all good now bro.

after God slammed the door on the former loophole of Indulgences

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

yeah C Word is great, like it a lot more than their other single Hillsong

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 16, 2023

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

EoinCannon posted:

My mates dad had a Fairlane with those lighters
I thought it was because Fairlanes were considered cars you might chauffeur people around in

my first car was a beat up old fairlane and it had five cigarette lighters; one in each door (including rear passenger doors) and one in the centre display

wish i smoked back then, what a waste

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Whoforthenwhat posted:

SBS late night movies was where all the good stuff was.

I have fond teen memories of coming home after work at pizza haven and watching the cult movie with des mangan. then the 1am rerun of S1 of 24, phwoar what a time to be alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

The Mark Mitchell fact I like is that because Channel 10(?) owned the rights to the "Con the fruiterer" character, Mark started writing and including more skits with his wife 'Marika', to whom he owned the rights.

Just to gently caress with the owners of The Comedy Company. Which I think is cool.

my childhood brain is reeling from this, it had never been put together than Con the Fruiterer is loving GRIBBLE