Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Series 8 Alex has some fake ponytail put on and was expecting Greg to just ignore it unimpressed like with Alex's gauged ears, but they loving got me when Greg flipped his fake ponytail around too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

Certainly better than the U.S abomination.

It's like there's no good reason this show couldn't work over here, but the casting choices they made were, exactly, the worst case scenario at every turn. It was like they took the person who casts a comedy central roast and then found that person's intern with even worse taste and had them recommend someone even shittier to pick out a cast. Hell, even just Reggie Watts seems like a comedy answer you'd pick in a task to find the least-suited person to be taskmaster.

pre-edit after scrolling down: lol it was comedy central so that's why the casting seemed as bad as comedy central

I propose they just keep the UK show going for ten years and invite one suitable north american comedian per series, add an extra chair so the islanders aren't bumped off.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

u brexit ukip it posted:

Just finished watching Season 3, with Al 'Moneybags' Murray. That bucket task in the final episode :laffo:

hahaha i just watched that before bed last night and was cracking up so hard when Alex breaks down for cash. Still, +1 to Al for knowing how to siphon properly.

I also liked that he recognized morse-code. I assume you don't get your phone for these tasks, cause my instinct would've been to look it up to read. I think if in bizarro world I got on the show, I'd be overly looking at all tasks for secret victories or hidden objects and waste so much time.

Has anyone tried the board game version of Taskmaster?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

Well spotted, it is a 10th Doctor under the sculpt - good facial resemblance, wearing a suit that's buttoned up high.

The costume needs a bit of tweaking, have to get rid of the tie, bring the shirt collar out, and change it into a double-breasted jacket. Also the hair needs to be a bit messier to really resemble James. Those changes were all done with modelling putty, here's a blurry scan of how it looked at that stage:

Then it was just a case of repainting everything into the correct colours

I would share it over twitter with Alex, but it just seems a bit much to register an account specifically to do that...

This is really cool, I love custom toys with believable packing to match! What is the reason some of these photos are really hazy, like they're in a space with lots of fog or grey milk?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the second place winner usually feels like who should be the real winner anyway. runner up round would be cool and get back some of the best folks

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i was enjoying the episode but something came up and i walked off. good lord cracked up when i walked back into the room because somebody was on some kind of messed up horse flopping some tube like a lance to attack alex i dont even know lmao rewinding now but ahahaha almost happier not knowing the task

haha the turtle duel seems like something that'd be it's own task or just a weird schoolyard game

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 16, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

AzureSkys posted:

Seeing all these other countries being successful at their own Taskmaster series makes me extra ashamed of the US attempt.

Really enjoyed this 1st episode. It felt like Alex was excited for the rap duel given how The Horne Section often goes. I'm not sure how much he improvises on that, but it seems a type of thing he enjoys doing. It's fun seeing him enjoy participation since typically whatever he ends up being made to do is quite awkward.

I feel like we deserve another shot, not on comedy central, not with Alex backseat Taskmastering, but our own sassy taskmaster and their goober assistant. We've got plenty of comedians who can handle the roles, honestly I think give it to the Comedy Bang Bang and CBB adjacent players because they seem like they'd get both the vibe of the show and the spirit of the tasks. Lot of things to be embarrassed about in the USA, but "couldn't handle taskmaster" isn't something I want dragging my nation down.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Good point, I can think of american alex hornes to fill the show-rule but not so much people who could also produce and keep things running. really, alex did a fine job in the circumstances, it's just Reggie is the absolute last person on Earth who should've been in the throne, he was definitely contestant material. Scott Auckerman is the host who comes to mind who knows how to be jovial and antagonistic in the right amounts to suit the situation. Anthony Anderson might also be good, or maybe even mama Doris lol.

In any case, at least we'll always have Katherine Ryan

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can see Conan as Taskmaster in terms of antagonistic host, but I have a harder time seeing him muster the "give a poo poo" for many of the tasks.

enki42 posted:

She's Canadian, and not really in any way that's relevant, I think her entire comedy career has been in the UK.

Speaking of which, I could see a Canadian Taskmaster working. We're usually slightly better at pulling off British adaptations (our bakeoff, dragon's den), and there's the tiniest little glimmer of panel shows being a thing here.

She talks regular and besides, Canada is basically the reserve USA state just in case, for now we just use it as a place to breed our actors and musicians.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
gently caress him, but the sentiment remains for the good improv comedians who aren't pests, that comedic sensibility and quick thinking and banterability seem to be the closest natural way to evoke the UK Gameshow spirit that just never evolved in the US, and which seems integral to the formula's success. Probably doesn't help that american media spread out across east coast, west coast, south coast, Canada. Seems like you need some kind of field-narrowing to get some sense of natural bullshitting around among contestants.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Olga Koch talks american style but she hasn't done Taskmaster yet.

Katherine Ryan is fine, but there's a touch of snobbery there that puts me off, similar to Natasha Leggero (she's okay on that new cooking show but her last sitcom was poo poo).

Oh she's definitely got that fancy lass mean girl vibe, same as Natasha, but I've always had a soft spot for that archetype when it's funny and intentional rather than just, someone from a real housewives kinda life making a joke while being themselves.

Just looked up some Olga stuff and she'd definitely be good on TM, she's also been in lots of things with other folks who already have

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah that's what I mean, gotta narrow it way down to even get a chance of roping a good banterable group together.

Lauren Lapkus, Paul F Thompkins, Tawny Newsome, Adam Scott, Andy Daly. Could pretty much pick cbb guests out of a bag and get a good vibe.

Joel McHale, Gillian Jacobs, Yvette Nicole Brown, Ken Jeong, Danny Pudi (just can't imagine Donald Glover or John Oliver showing up but they'd be great too)

Just gonna have to stick to comedians who already worked together for years one way or the other. In any case, the comedy central attempt casting must've been some deliberate effort to pick exactly six people who would have the least synergy between themselves, the show, and alex.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Even putting aside the functional role of the assistant/producer: I think he'd be a pretty awful assistant because he's far too foreground a personality. The assistant needs to be someone who enables the contestants and at most acts as a foil for them, but will never remotely come close to taking the spotlight off them. The assistant has to not have a hosting type of persona.

Benny Schwa was also the only part of that list I didn't agree with. I offer Nathan Fielder as replacement. Despite hosting experience, the character he plays is not a domineering hosting persona and has the right balance of qualities to be the Alex.
This clip he almost breaks character being so understandably shocked, but the way he rebounds and responds to the absurd reality presented before him would work with the administering of tasks, as well as ready to roll with weird, in an understated manner.
https://www.youtube.com/6vbCKava_JE

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

I couldn’t name a twitch personality for a million bucks

I could, but not ones who would be good for television or vibe well with a random selection of other tier celebs, or even be that entertaining outside of the mild level required for their chosen game and audience. Twitch people especially lean into the weird parasocial stuff. Things're different when you know someone for being a media actor, character, or comedian, than when they're just some marginally entertaining person who can adequately provide background noise for hours at a time while playing videogames with comments and chat interaction.

That said, TM itself as a game format could be applied to Twitch cliques, wouldn't make for good TaskMaster TV but would definitely be a better entertainment effort for Twitch.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

I've been watching UK S8 recently and I honestly do not get why it was called early in this thread a bad season.

wouldn't seriously consider the opinion of anyone calling a TM series bad, but to some extent ya just gotta roll with it and let it slide for the purposes of a thread and discussion

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Why would we need an American one, we already have the UK, Kiwi, bunch of Scandi, whoever else ones already? What's the point of a US version?

I wouldn't be bothered if they made 2 UK ones, 2 Kiwi ones, and an american one. Anywhere in the language I speak is desired by me. Show like this also isn't going to be a magnet for all the most famous NA comedians anyway, and we've got dozens of pages in this thread alone brainstorming excellent groups of comedians across the gamut.

Plus, we already got a US one but it was under the worst possible conditions & channel, with some really crummy casting, trapped in a 22 minute format.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mr Beens posted:

So are we going to have the "Why doesn't the US have a version, it had a go and it was poo poo, here are a bunch of suggestions for US contestants and hosts" conversation every week?

the conversations shall continue, until the show manifests

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd accept a Taskmaster Canada as a substitute.

do canadians have their own secret TV the USA doesn't get to see? nevermind, no point in asking they would never tell.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Series 84 is where they really start running out of ideas and it's always eat boiled this, lay in a big plastic coffin full of that. no room for lateral thinking anymore, just alex skulking around finding gnarly junk to pour on whatever poor souls got their NIN pulled in the Lottery that month.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sort Of is on HBOMax surprisingly, I'll check it out edit: I've watched it all and it was great!!

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 3, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
hahha i have no clue what this task is yet but i look forward to finding out

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
blessings that the show can reach the point of a champion of champion of champions

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Aphex- posted:

I take a Whose line is it anyway approach and really don't give a gently caress about how it's pointed. As long as it's funny that's all that matters.

Same. The only time the scores annoy me are when the overall winner is someone who wasn't actually the funniest to watch and they're taking the place of someone else I'd rather seen in champion of champions later. In that regard I don't think "fairer" scoring would make any impact.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
still a couple eps behind but i swear i heard a snippet of the bbc preview guy saying "is it art or an STD" lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
4 eps into UK14 and is John Kearns the worst taskmaster contestant in terms of successfully completing tasks yet?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can see it being fun, kids are stupid, but they can also have some incredible ideas and weird lateral thinking you wouldn't as an adult. Could be fun, but finding a handful of kids good for the show must be a trying task. It'll also be hard to find kids with enough property for the prize tasks and ones who are good at improv banter.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
documentary in 30 years following up on the kids from the Taskmaster Kids incident, and the first interview with little alex horne from prison after his tragic lord of the flies task

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

There’s something about Lesser Tom’s eyes that remind of Charlie Cox doing Daredevil. Like he never seems to focus on something/someone, he’s just looking in a general direction.

I know what you mean. Even sometimes when he is making a reaction face to camera, looks like he's looking past it or the the side.

Nina Oyama is my favourite Aus contestant so far. She often fucks up the tasks, but not because she's not trying, she just completely forgets the most critical part of tasks, but genuinely doesn't realize so will still celebrate. Fun dynamic, whole season good so far

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So it is Danielle!! I kept meaning to look her up because they kept calling her Dani L and I was curious if she spelled it Dani-L, or Dawn E.L. or Danny El, figured it was an Australian name or some stylized artist name. I think lesser tom might've even made a transition joke about the vowels or something in her name, which at the time, I was like '"oh yeah must be a joke reference to whatever her moniker is." Someone else said it later I think and it sounded more like the two-syllable name I am used to and meant to look it up after the ep but got distracted looking up others. I'm sure it'll sound normal next time I hear it now, kind of how misheard lyrics change once you read the real deal.

I'd put Jimmy on bottom only because of the nature of hierarchies and Julie is also a standout to me. Especially funny since she's been claiming to just going at the tasks ASAP so everyone can go home early, which, mad respect I know that feeling, but she's not half-assing it or being dismissive of the tasks, she just guns her first idea and gets to it while also remembering to be funny about it. She's had a long broadcast history apparently but this is my first introduction and it's one hell of an impression.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's interesting seeing these different duos fitting the character molds for the taskmaster and assistant. I think being the assistant is much harder and less natural for other comedians, since Alex's brand of... Impish servitude? Mild trickster bureaucrat? Whatever you call his little Alex horneness

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I look forward to someday understanding why people love this applesauce sponsored spelling bee

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I watched a Greg Davies show because of TM, might not have heard of it otherwise, it was good. I watched Alex's show but it was more "cute" than funny, but still had some good bits.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

TM does have a long history of secret instructions and second-part-tasks, but I agree the way the string one was setup felt unusually capricious. It ended up feeling like the main task was just a fake and hidden task was the real one, without proper signposting for the contestant.

that every contestant doesn't by default check under the table, look at back of task, or otherwise look around for a secret is ludicrous to me. alex was also very suspicious when he was asking them "are you sure" when they claimed to be done. Task doesn't need to be written, at worst it affords an opportunity for entertainment and some attempt to rules-lawyer greg in the studio.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kaiho posted:

It's this, but more than 3 I'd suspect.

Also in the vein of all good panel shows, the point isn't to "win".

Well I wasn't bringing it up so much to play to win as play to beat Alex at his own little twisted subgames

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Whoa that's really cool, congrats! Are you local or making a trip of it?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why won't they look for the secret task ;_;

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I doubt they'd keep alluding to it in the edit if no-one ever found it.

I'm expecting it to be a thing just to have a montage of them all missing an incredibly obvious secret task repeatedly during every real task.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lmao bribing the kid! i like that sue fake sleep-talked "lateral thinking" but Sam was the one to do it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dragonstoned posted:

Dairylea is a brand of cheese in the UK

They come in little triangles and are good for a kids lunchbox or there are "Dairylea Dunkers" which is cream cheese with some flavoured breadsticks or something

I never actually had an actual dunker as a kid, always had to settle for the cheaper knock offs :negative:

Haha I always thought it was akin to Sara Lee and was just frozen desserts like chocolate pie.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
phil wang and nicole ritchie have a cameo together in the new Willy Wonka movie. Phil Wang eats some mind-altering chocolate from Wonka, who is a witch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha I watched it before Deadlich and didn't recognize her at all. A NZ episode autoplayed on YouTube recently and it took me a while to make the connection too!