Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Just bought Alex Horne's book and some of the tasks are very clever, in this scavenger hunt style game.

Also, I just finished the Season 2 Taskmaster New Zealand which might be one of the best seasons of any taskmater, everybody came to play from the very first Prize Task

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

The absolute worst are some of the foreign versions that stunk. Everyone loves to poo poo on the US Taskmaster at every opportunity although I watched it and enjoyed Ron Funches performance.

As to OG TM, I think S10 is clearly the low point. Alex did a poor job creating the tasks, then covid badly effected the filming and the studio chemistry suffered.

The first channel 4 season was just the worst of taskmaster, mostly because Alex Horne I think REALLY got tired of the loophole/lateral thinking comedy that year.

"Get the blank to the blank, your time starts now" has become "Get the blank to the blank, you may not touch the blank, you may not use a blank, you can't move the blank or the blank, your time starts now"

I also think the US version faultered because it was comedy central and they were given a half-hour not the full hour, they really wanted the prize task to be a "prize possession" task (which isn't in spirit of the show celebrating lateral thinking) and the rehashing of old tasks, but now with a pool in a hollywood hills house.

BUT AT THE SAME TIME- they aired the original on The CW and got cancelled after one episode. (TBF it was Season 8, so maybe a person saying "hello?" in a baby monitor wasn't really the best introduction compared to melon buffet)

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Is anybody else playing with the TASKMASTER app?

https://taskmaster.tv/app

It seems like a ton of pay-extra content like more tasks/more music/etc but it sounds like fun

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

I just really loved the overarching story about the "best friend" with the hide the body task, but the prize task last episode made up for it.

What a fantastic game show.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

The prize tasks on the UK TM has been a weak point for a long time. It seems every other country does a better job.

I generally love the prize tasks when there is some level of lateral thinking, but in a way that if you've never seen Taskmaster before, you'll immediately know these comedians and how they think.

"Most Embarrassing Photo" or "Greatest Accomplishment" is always better than a "best thing" and if done correctly something funny like "Least Nostalgic" or "Most Fruity" could bring laughs.

I miss my skull prize

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Using only this tube of toothpaste, create a portrait of the Taskmaster on this mirror. Best portrait wins.
You have 5 minutes, your time starts now.

(10 minutes later)

Put the toothpaste back in the tube. You may not use a different tube. You can't leave the bathroom. You may not turn on the water faucet. You have one minute. Time starts when you flush the toilet.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Also, it's very tough to write/develop tasks now that the contestants are aware of many of the "gotchas"

So the moving of goal posts, which was fun in early seasons can't be done, and are now written within the tasks themselves. ("You may not")

Sometimes I think it's because Alex really wants more controlled tasks instead of everybody trying to be "the clever one". But to compensate, he gets more vague - "toss a thing into another thing".

I honestly think much like QI with the need to complete the collection from A-Z, Taskmaster has written itself that it needs to do enough shows to do a champion of champion of champions as the final episode.

I think my favorite tasks that have been "new" are the ones that are set in the garage. It feels different from "lab" even though, it's theoretically just the same "empty box" to create the task.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Disappointing Pie posted:

A redditor spotted some news that looks like funding for a fourth season of Taskmaster NZ.

https://www.nzonair.govt.nz/news/clean-sweep-for-comedy-in-nz-on-airs-latest-scripted-funding-round/

One of my favorite quotes is at the end when they talk the funding for the projects:

quote:

Taskmaster 4, 10 x 44 mins, Kevin and Co for TVNZ 2 and TVNZ +, up to $882,119.

If you're wondering the cost for a season of Taskmaster, it's roughly US $564,644.37

And when you consider the price of Jeremy's head? That has to be $4.37 of it!

EDIT: just so I don't double post, did anybody see the Quebec edition of Taskmaster?

It looks like fun, even if they are repeating early taskmaster tasks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3NO5HOlJT8

TelevisedInsanity fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 5, 2022

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

CatstropheWaitress posted:

There's plenty of competitive/noncompetitive talent to find for a Taskmaster US, tbh. Just run it through the troupe of comedians that make up Comedy Bang Bang, or Dropout (old college humor), or poo poo, Citizens Brigade, etc. The pool is ripe with old and young folks, and networks that you'd think would jump on it (Netflix, Hulu, HBO...).

Given how well the international versions have done otherwise, I do wonder if a reboot hasn't happened due to Comedy Central maintaining the US IP, or if Alex was just so burned by it that he isn't interested in trying again. Still bewildering that they tapped Lisa Lampanelli for their trial run.

I do honestly think you could do a Taskmaster USA, but there is a ton of "but unlike the first time around"

Such as keep the show a full hour (instead of half), keep the format of "prize task", "three tasks", "live task"

And then get the casting to be scattered, Paul F Thomkins and Michael Ian Black could fair well, against somebody more "out there" like a Sarah Sherman or even Tom Green.

It's without a doubt possible but you'll need a not Alex Horne assistant and a Grumpy Creative Type as Taskmaster.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Don't forget the need to make it a full hour with the prize/3 tasks/live format.

It seemed the pitch meeting of prize tasks being "something they bring in from home" got misinterpreted, and it was so terrible.

When everybody loves it as the introduction to understanding how the contestants think when you get told they need to bring in "best liquid" or "best hand crafted item"

but also, I think the "single story with backyard and pool" wasn't the best field for this show, when it would've been better with a weird ranch style (that you could "build upon" and a camper van wouldn't be out of the ordinary)

But also, I agree with some of your casting choices, so many missed opportunities here, just to see Nikki Glaser "create a how to video" or Ken Jeong making a song for a country he hits with a dart on a map.

It isn't reinventing the wheel, it's just about casting, location and good/funny challenges.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Macdoo posted:

Honestly I feel like the American comedian that has the most taskmaster-y feel would be Conan O'Brien. Can be a bit mean and deadpan without it feeling odd.

He's tall, he can "play" a bossy type, but I'm sure in the frame of an hour they would go off script, and it'll be something like his old talk show, where it would be something taken from the banter.

"Wait a minute, did you just say you like pie more? We're asking you to decorate a cake, you don't even have to eat it!"

I could actually hear it, plus he's as tall as Greg!

Mr Beens posted:

We seem to have the "who would be in a good US version of TM and why the format doesn't work on US TV" every 6 months with exactly the same conclusions and points raised.

It's that "one that got away" because it's a show that has multiple different types of comedy in one episode, and should have the pull, but comedy central broke the show into something just "fine" (Reggie would've been a better contestant) and CW tried putting a slightly edited version but it got one of the LOWEST viewership in history. (Tbf it was the "hello" baby monitor episode, and not the melon smash)

But hey, good news, Alex Horne is on Lego Masters tonight and also, we have a New Years Treat!

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Superrodan posted:

Pretty good article about Taskmaster and Alex:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...but-not-bonkers

EDIT: In which he says he doesn't wanna do USA Taskmaster again but does know that 75% of the TM views on youtube come from the USA.

The Guardian, 2022 posted:

Early on, the team attempted to take the show to the US, but changes to the format broke the spell and it was quickly cancelled. “The main problem was it was half the length of the UK version, but with the same number of ad breaks,” he says. “It forced too many changes.” Horne enjoyed the experience of walking out in front of American audiences to a roar of applause, “despite the fact that they had no idea who I was”, but he has no plans for a second shot. Instead, American audiences come to Britain – often flying to London to sit in on the live show recordings at Pinewood. More than 70% of the millions of people who have watched Taskmaster clips on YouTube are American, a fact that has led Avalon to recently launch an on-demand dedicated Taskmaster channel in the US.

Sad it won't be attempted again, but really happy to see they know about the cultural appeal.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Every version of Taskmaster has it's strengths and weaknesses, I think "Taskmaster Tom" is really good, because that's his sense of humor, and as a fan of Hard Quiz, makes perfect sense as a Taskmaster.

People are giving "Assistant Tom" some grief because he's slightly animated and kind of a dick to the contestants, but he still does the job at hand of being the bridge between Contestant and Taskmaster.

He will still agree to all the dumb ideas people have, but is really excited to show rules infractions. But I think every version is "a good version".

My favorite line of the night was Gleason saying he "can't wait to read your comments comparing this version to the original"

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

the cat out of the bag task felt like an Alex Horne classic, but surprisingly it was an Australian original.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

we've asked them all to bring in... the most delectable dessert, whoever you find has the most delectable dessert will receive five points and the winner of tonight's show will have a cake walk with all these tasty treats.

what did you bring in and why?

"candy bar wrapper"

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

while there isn't any clear task format, categories typically are broken down by race (fastest wins), judgement (most lavish) or my quantity (most oranges in the bucket wins)

The Australia version has "lessor Tom" be somewhat like Horne in the US edition (a mean prick)

But greater Tom is very similar to his Hard Quiz persona, but I think of all the English taskmasters, he's the best at judging the tasks that involve creativity. (Agent of chaos but rewarding creative ideas) vs Greg who is better at "rulemaker" and Jeremy who is great at playing the straight man to the antics of the contestants.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Junior Taskmaster doesn't seem like a good idea, unless it's maybe as a one-off special like the New Year's Treat, where it's just showcasing all those Taskmaster in the Classroom.

But school children aren't necessarily comedians, so it loses it's luster a bit. And I'm worrisome about that oversaturation of the format.

I just want to get that champion of champion of champions as the finale and then BOSH

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Kojey is probably my favorite one-off contestant, simply because he understood the game, especially when it came to lying to Alex about "how long it takes to eat an orange", because he knows it's not a personal question. Also, just wanting to feed Alex.

Debra was also delightful, but now I'm scared for the eventual series of Dragons Den when somebody does try pitching a Voice Activated Toaster.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

nerox posted:

I wonder if one day we will have someone who can assemble Gregtron with the Head, Body, and Eyebrows statues.

Even that eventual series ending "champion of champion of champions" happens, I need to know the final part of the collection.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

I recall Sam Reich saying he wants to do Taskmaster for Dropout, but Avalon isn't playing ball.

Anyway, I think it should be Joel McHale and Brian David Gilbert.

But most of the cast is "Internet Podcast Types" and YouTubers who need the bump, (ex. Alex Ptak, Eddy Burback, Heather Anne Campbell, Ify Nwadiwe, Izzy Roland)

I think it's the new zealand version having Guy Montgomery that broke my brain on this reasoning.

Boxturret posted:

I just think all the americans should be banned.

This also works, but please save Desiree Burch, she was fantastic!

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Tagra posted:

We just finished season 1 and if it weren't for the audio quality there were genuinely times where I could have forgotten I wasn't watching a licensed spinoff.
David created some genuinely good tasks. Although the shoes task was definitely some bullshit that needed a bit more planning...

We got a little ways into the first episode of season 2 and I can already see how much it's improved, too. Not just in audio quality but also in diversity of cast. He probably has more friends to pick from now that he's gained traction, so he can get a good mix of clever and quirky now and not just rope in whoever was closest, lol.
Also Carter as TM was a good move.

Has Alex ever said why 5 contestants? The 6 on Minnesota makes so much more sense for team tasks.

I never got a real answer other than 5 was the magic number for tasks because even if 4 did it the same way, 1 would at least do something different in the edit.

And for team tasks, they have had Guests show up on teams to make it even at times. But I do like the 3 vs 2 dynamic.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

I'm more questioning *where* it would go, rather than who.

Because Greg and Alex? That's the show. Makes sense.

Joel McHale would make sense in his world of clip show and heckling, but then you'll need to find a nerdy sidekick like a BDG or a Sam Reich to help.

But I'm more on the "Comedy Central hosed this up so much", "The CW pulled it after one episode of Series 8, Episode 1", what network will pick it up? Or is this going to Roku Channel like American Baking Show?

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Wungus posted:

Nah, with Joel McHale, you just don't break up the double act. Give him Ken Jeong as an assistant and you've got the safest possible choice for a mainstream adaptation.

I was thinking Ken as a contestant, especially given they already have a back and forth (like Rhod and Greg) and I could already see him having a "doctor" outfit during tasks.

Also, John Hodgman would also be a pretty good assistant, I could see him try and do the unnecessary wordplay and "they went six mongooses" distance measures.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

As someone who bemoans the half arsed prize task effort that plagues UKTM, compared to say Kongen Befaler, I appreciate the effort that Pemberton is putting in.

I liked it when the prize task was a prop comedy/lateral thinking game, but it feels like, because they know they aren't actually losing anything in playing, they are just going with whatever the production house can afford as a prop.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

I think John Robbins did well on the baby water can task and the double fake out on if he broke the rules after seasons of "but" and roll tape again was actually pretty smart.

I think he's playing the game the same way one of those super fans does when they talk what they would do in the task, where they are trying to find the workaround to be "the clever one",

As a fan of Inside No. 9 because of it's really dark comedy (I loved the fake game show episode with Lee Mack last series) I can see how he's really good at the tasks that are the open-ended types.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

I think we could all use more bargain hunt endings

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Robins is falling into the Mae Martin ‘boringly competent’ category.

Oh no, he's going to win and then be unable to make it to champion of champions so Nick will have to fill in dressed as Frankenstein's Monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

CatstropheWaitress posted:

lol, now we know where that missing banter section went:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9puvztApts

I'm passionate about pepperoni pizza