Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

It’s as close to the real TM you can get without just more regular taskmaster episodes being released I guess. Certainly better than the U.S abomination.

It's eternally disappointing that the US dropped the ball so hard on its attempt and then the CW tried to just import the UK version and just stopped trying two episodes in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bertha the Toaster posted:

What? I didn't even know the CW version was a thing. I can't even work out if I can watch it in the UK without messing with a VPN or something.

CW didn't have a version. They just picked up Season 10 of the UK version for broadcast, aired two episodes and then replaced it with reruns of another show because of terrible ratings or something.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Oh. That's dumb.

Why does American suck at Taskmaster?

Lack of trust for WB/The CW's part and lack of understanding for Viacom's part. They aired it on Comedy Central since that's the channel that the show would've fit for. But they don't even have the stable (or didn't want to pay for it) that they used to use for the roasts besides Lisa Lampenelli (who is terrible).

Arguably NBC or Disney via ABC or Fox could definitely make it work. Both have a stable of comedians/comic actors they could pull from for one. ABC also runs a bunch of game shows with a rotating panel of the same sort of people that'd fit on Taskmaster during Winter and Summer

drunken officeparty posted:

"Let's cut down a 50 minute show to 20 minutes, not be allowed to swear, and hire the complete opposite of Greg Davies as the Taskmaster"

-Comedy Central
The NZ version has shown you can do a Taskmaster that isn't the same type of personality as Greg Davies. Rather than the gleefully malevolent Davies, Jeremy Wells is a more cool, stoic and impartial arbiter of the Tasks. The big thing is that he needs to be able to banter with the cast and the co-host well.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 12, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Disappointing Pie posted:

I’m just mad we don’t have a panel show culture in the US like they do in the UK. Ive binged so much Would I Lie to you and others over the last year.

Hollywood Game Night seems to actually be close to that type of show, but not quite.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The '70s Match Game was a wild show, even considering the S&P restrictions of the day. Nothing very recent, though, at least not to my knowledge.

There's a modern Match Game on ABC hosted by Alec Baldwin and that has some bawdy unscripted energy, but idk how much in comparison to the 70's one.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The first time I saw Matt Heath, I thought he was out was related to Jeff Goldblum

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I feel like the UK one has those complex ones because enough people in a given round just laterally solving the task can get boring and its been around long enough that lots of participants are wise to it

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

The NZ ones have vanished from YouTube :(

DMCA strikes happen. It might be back

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I hadn't pegged Victoria Mitchel as the secret serial killer for this series, but you just never know. The two nonplussed people on the same team will be interesting though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Disappointing Pie posted:

While he seems like someone that’s great and you’d want him on Taskmaster the show really isn’t setup for his brand of humor and his personality. He needs quick witted back and forth conversations with people and he also seems like a much more level headed cool analytical person. He wouldn’t be much fun I don’t think.

He'd be a good replacement for Alex if that would ever happen

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think if Greg and Alex got tired of being the main characters of Taskmaster, Victoria and David Mitchell should take their places respectively.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

happyhippy posted:

One of my hobbies is codes and ciphers, so I love these kind of tasks.
Spoilering this just to be safe.

It could have been worked out without knowing the rest, if they had the time, and Victoria did guess A was E or whatever from looking at how often it was in it, the usual way of cracking these.
There is a screenshot of what Alan can see of the code, and its only 7 letters.
So Victoria would have seen 19, and was cracking it herself, and probably could have just guessed the rest of it without needing them.

I thought it was that each of them had roughly a third of the alphabet on each puzzle and the middle of it was only possible with the combination of the puzzles. But that said, yeah. It's totally possible if you know how to do substitution ciphers and the tricks to solve them. Letter frequency is the classic way of solving it. Testing common words with common letters is also a common technique. I have an app that's exactly that game that uses famous quotes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Paladinus posted:

I feel a bit sorry for Victoria, because she is always very serious when she tries to explain her bizarre choices, and when Greg invariably calls her reasoning rubbish, she seems legitimately crestfallen. Made it so much more satisfying to see her succeed with the latest prize task.

I feel like there's a 50/50 chance that she's actually bullshitting him with a straight face and it's impossible to tell because of how good she is at it

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The World Inferno posted:

I can get behind this.

But then... who plays the assistant?

Andy Richter

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I forget if he was also an Upright Citizens Brigade alum or if it was D'Arcy who was since I remember it being mentioned in The Good Place Podcast.

Speaking of, William Jackson Harper as the assistant (if only because there'd be at least three occasions per season of people trying to get his clothes off for hijinks)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Conan isn't threatening enough. And you'd have to have somebody extra-able to shut down rowdy contestants to deal with Americans just with their air of authority.

Terry Crews.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I'm a big Conan fan so I may have some bias here, but yeah thinking about it him as the Taskmaster and Richter in the on-screen assistant role seems like it'd work really well.

No matter what shape it takes, I feel like Taskmaster's going to keep being enough of an international success that someone in the U.S. is going to take another swing at it, even if it's basically the same concept but with just enough new wrinkles that they don't need to pay for the rights to adapt the show.

South Korea has tons of shows that are very similar to that Taskmaster vibe, and I feel like that audience would get on board with that vibe faster than American audiences, so I also wouldn't be surprised if we get a formal SK version of the show at some point.

A JP and an SK version would probably be right up their alley what with their own culture of variety stars, idols, and so forth.

A US version would always need to pay for the rights, but it'd be a matter of if the next company to take a swing at it would only need to pay Horne and his group managing the Taskmaster property or if they'd also need to pay Viacom or something.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm sorry you're not tired of cringe comedy yet, apparently. I was sick of it before either of their shows were cancelled. They're both better in movies.

I still like 30 Rock but it's far too detached from reality to be cringe. That and Kenneth.

Poehler is also a host of a reality show called Making It alongside Nick Offerman (who'd also be an excellent Taskmaster) and while she's fairly twee in it, it fits for a show that it also about making extremely twee things. Idk if you're way to focused on her in Parks and Rec and mistaking her character for the actress or not, but it seems like it.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 6, 2022

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Why is anyone suggesting us taskmasters when Marc Evan Jackson was already suggested and is objectively perfect for the role

Because he's be funnier as the assistant

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There was "make the most exotic sandwich" followed by "eat your exotic sandwich". Although the fact that nobody actually managed to complete the second part meant that they were mostly being scored on the first one.

There was the one in series 9 about building the most robust thing and then driving a steamroller into it
There's also the one in series 6 about having the most fun, and then recreating it exactly

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'd accept a Taskmaster Canada as a substitute.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Khanstant posted:

do canadians have their own secret TV the USA doesn't get to see? nevermind, no point in asking they would never tell.

Canadian tax money goes into making Canadian programming so that US TV doesn't completely monopolize their TV. That said, a CA Taskmaster would probably end up with three non-Quebecois Canadians, a Quebecois Canadian and an American for representation.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 30, 2022

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

I was unable to read past this because I started to picture, and am still picturing, Taskmaster Japan

It's hosted by Downtown and it is for all intents and purposes Gaki No Tsukai

Same but Kachou Arino and his partner.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

stev posted:

I just want the 'buy a gift for Greg' task to come back. I know they stopped because they didn't want it to become overplayed but they haven't done it in 10 seasons now. :(

Mix it up a little though: "Buy a gift for Alex that the Taskmaster would find the most 'appropriate'"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Heavy_D posted:

I share your doubts about Aoyade having much chance of appearing. He's been fiercely speculated about before, and apparently there were "scheduling conflicts". The hopeful side of me wants to believe that now he's not doing Travel Man the schedule opens up - but the more realistic side thinks it was just a polite way to decline. I'll go to bat for the chances of Jessica Hynes though - she's no strange to panel shows, and there have been contestants before who lean more towards the scripted side of things - like Katherine Parkinson and Charlotte Richie.

I think asking if Bridget is sane is like asking if Hamlet is sane - they're both pretending to be insane, to mask the fact that they've gone mad.

PS: if we want to talk unrealistic and double-acts, surely Fry and Laurie would be the one to pick

Do a Taskmaster/Bake-Off Crossover with the former hosts as participants and tasks themed around Bake-Off

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I can't imagine that Victoria came home after doing it and went "it was great, you'd love it" to change his mind on the subject either. I think he does probably have the right idea about how he would be on the show though, his comedic persona just doesn't quite fit with the kind of stuff they do on the show. He's great at banter but he would probably be very noticeably miserable when doing tasks, and not in a way that would be fun to watch.

David is the sort who'd've been good in Alex's role as the assistant.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

May might be alright on the NY special, less so Hammond or Clarkson.

Clarkson would be amusing in his oafish sort of way if asked to build or take apart something.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Just gonna put it out there that making lists of ~celebrities you'd like to see on TM isn't especially interesting.

Sounds like a you problem and maybe post something else that isn't complaining about it.

I posted before, but Victoria Mitchell probably would've been a good Taskmaster. Take her dry wit from Only Connect but now make it more domineering with her husband as the Assistant. Don't just imagine his own snark at someone's ambitious but rubbish constructions, but his own discomfort at having to be a participant in a task or having to taste something.

Between CHM, Clarkson and Hammond would probably be the most entertaining contestants. Clarkson would be a lot like the other who just can't seem to be arsed to do the finer points of the task and whinge about it as a bit while Hammond would be way too into it and competitive. May would probably be like Victoria Mitchell in that he's also into it, but also trying to be too clever about it and ends up a little boring.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Modern Leper posted:

:wth: As a queer person myself, [inappropriate joke about Sophie's queer identity being a factor in her victory on that heinous challenge].

That challenge was someone's fetish.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Sophie and Chris are both clearly the "in it to win it" sorts of players though Bridget is clearly trying too, but overthinks everything. Ardal is just having a laugh like a lot of the older contestants.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Psychepath posted:

Great cast all around and pulling the basket off the bike is probably the best "solution" to any task in any series. Its still going wrong just felt right.

Bridget, as the person who was trying to really laterally solve every task she could, found a way that worked brilliantly, only to mess up one of the rules.
Alex definitely should've also tested that task more and assumed people wouldn't find the secret words

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The simplicity of the Pi task makes me think it might've been a possible tiebreaker task that got elevated. They were pretty strict with the definition of recite too since it was "from memory" so no writing stuff down or w/e.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Josh is definitely one of my favorites for this season. He jumps back and for between masterful genius and panicky idiot at perfect levels.

Also the live task where they ended at 1-2-3-4-5 was absolutely perfect.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

itry posted:

TMNZ has some good task writers. Really liked the studio task.

There's a lot of ways to mix up that studio task for other series/seasons too. Using more qualities about the items besides their locations is on obvious one.

I also enjoyed their variation on the task about seeing the person and like that, instead of an instant fail, it's a reset position.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

itry posted:

Yeah, that's definitely better. Also liked the mat clause they added in. The train yard was a better place for it though.

Train yard was an excellent place for it. Lots of good hiding spots. They should've done more tasks there.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

eke out posted:

I really thought with the handwritten stuff/lack of seal, there was some fundamental twist -- like that the taskmaster's assistant had overstepped his bounds within the fiction and you weren't supposed to give him money, or there'd be other followup nonsense along those lines

though "taskmaster chiding contestants for giving the assistant money" thing would be more greg/alex's character dynamic than jeremy/paul

I honestly thought it was meant to suggest to some of them to just craft their own money just like Paul did with the task or Paul did with his money. Like someone draws some $100 bills or someone writes a fake $1,000,000 check

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Heavy_D posted:

Good final episode on the the NZ front. The bathtub task is a simple but effective capper for the series, but the trick or treat task was my favourite from a design purpose.

Bathtub task was a better variation of the barrel one in the UK version. It's a lot more funny when the participants sabotage themselves, regardless of whether they knew or not, than if someone else like Paul or Alex do it. But also giving them an out do to it a more tedious way to test their patience as well (and for the inevitable fuckup) was good too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
A dry Taskmaster is perfectly fine with five fairly ridiculous people to bounce off of. He just needs a bit more sharpness and wit to really maximize the banter. The UK relationship is kinda the reverse where Greg is generally the crazier one and the five play a bit more normally.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
America doesn't have a panel show culture, but the major networks do have stables of c- list talent they generally can call in for celebrity game shows. ABC has a pile of them right now with particular example of The Match Game which has a bunch of recurring comedians that'd be perfect

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The loo roll task was basically like the egg one but less frustrating. But also less flexible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just an absolute banger of an ep.