Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Someone should update that OP

Not it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

That heel turn was definitely coming since the grits' position on Palestine is so much worse than the greens, but wow I figured she'd wait till the actual election campaign not immediately!

Utterly shameless, but in a way it proves she's a perfect fit for the libs lol

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

drat I just caught the 2nd part of this on the radio, yeah I know it's CBC but I'm kinda impressed they were airing something this unequivocally true & brutal during the commute home

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/the-unborn-future-how-western-philosophy-helped-propel-us-toward-a-climate-catastrophe-1.6069290

Gonna spam it to some Jordy Peeperson fans I know, like this is how a real rebellious straight backed professor diagnoses society's ills and whose to blame; with simplicity and brevity and accuracy - not weeping about a Disney princess being part gay or whatever the gently caress lol

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

It's not surprising, if JT pushes for a fall election O'Toole has got to get some momentum going, so why not go for broke and embrace the wing nuts?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Always vote for whoever it is you feel like voting for, but obviously don't over-estimate the power of your single checkmark and think that it's wasted if the candidate doesn't win

Arcsquad12 posted:

Poilievre walked by me one day and gave me me thumbs up for... some reason.

I see that little shitweasel Cooper all the time.

And one time I helped Singh when he got turned around in the Shopper's.

What was he shopping for

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

She's clearly thinking ahead, that tweet will be very popular when she runs in a riding outside of Alberta

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

"progressive" hero jack layton ran on a loving balanced budget. get out of here

He's dead op

Singh ain't amazing but his policies are obviously better than Jack's and Mulcair

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

I mean like maybe the NDP should show up to some protest or maybe organize a few? Run some community outreach things, show up with food to a park and feed the homeless? Have a presence anywhere rural at all?

The party is completely top down like the Libs and the Cons and I think people feel like when they try and get involved and they get nowhere.

Hell just have local orgs that actually feel like they matter to the party.

I've seen multiple dipper MPs and MLAs at stuff like that out here in BC, Singh has been to several protests and job strikes since becoming the mp in South Burnaby :shrug:

I agree their outreach/media manipulation needs to be better - ppl don't pay attention unless you're upsetting them

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Rockstar Massacre posted:

My home riding still has no NDP candidate, but I recently found out that a local progressive darling , with a tremendous amount of local support, experience and ground game, as well as being one of the best independent political reporters in Alberta, got in touch with the riding association to put his name in as candidate - and was largely told his views are too radical and he's too public about it. He mostly does stale number crunching and fact checking with a very neutral tone.

He's running independent now, lol good job NDP.

Can you source this? Not that I don't believe it, but I'd like to have harder evidence than hearsay to point to when arguing with peeps

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Also how beautifully circular is it that Trudeau's aspirational hubris at once was both the thing that saved us from Harperland AND the the thing that condemned us to return to Harperland at warp speed?

:ssh: we never left harperland

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Philman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Bn4KfZqy4

edit- its the NDP candidate for Burlington, ON

Did he shower? Couldn't he be bothered to trim his beard? Couldn't he spring for a dress shirt? Was a headset without tape on it too expensive?

tragic.

Even when the party brass allows a fellow goon (this guy is definitely one of you) to be a candidate we're not happy

The dippers don't need more rich professionals imo

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

Okay, and how many of them are university students or recent grads with no idea how to campaign, no budget, no support and no plans to attend the debates and contribute to the discussion in any way?

Why not help them out with some/all of those things?

Or maybe your "lucky" and your riding has a slick rich political lifer tho I dunno why you'd want to get involved with them

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Bleck posted:

"Don't be defeatist, just volunteer the time that you literally don't have because you work two jobs to pay rent."

Quit those jobs scarface from half baked style

flakeloaf posted:

Because it's not my job?

Knowing nothing of how political parties work (uhh, bunny? Help?), I imagine the NDP have a staff of people who are paid money by the party to win elections. Don't the training and campaign assistance, or at least, a handbook or something about how to campaign, come from them? I'm good on the mic because I learned how as a kid and practiced a lot, but I'd be friggin mental to take those skills into a candidates' debate without specific knowledge about that environment that I lack, and would have no idea how to foster in someone else.

The riding association is, of course, a mostly-volunteer force. It's those guys who go around canvassing and hammering in signs to get knocked over and dumped in the woods. I'll cop to my choice to not join them, mainly because there's no point in my afterthought of a riding. The whole Martine Cenatus thing (which was largely not her fault) really turned me off, and I can imagine some of the other constituents who voted in someone who was basically thrown naked into the ring were equally-surprised when they found out what had happened.

I have that same green screen. You're supposed to iron it.

Right, it's not a job it's volunteering, you get to choose your level of engagement; I'm a constant disappointment to my old lady/young dude coordinators lol, so what

But you do have some expertise! The green screen thing you mention - that alone would be helpful!

When they tear down your sign, you go back and put up 2 :getin:

Jordan7hm posted:

I think this kind of defeatist thinking is endemic to the NDP and the left in general, and creates a circular logic whereby people don’t want to invest time or effort in losers, but i also don’t care enough to volunteer my time to help break that cycle so i recognize it’s on me too.

Yah honestly my handful of commie & ML friends struggle with this even more than my fellow succdems

Not the anarchists tho, they're always super pumped to support the Greens lmao idgi

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Plus as a terminally online goon you can offer willingness to engage in meme warfare

A highly questionable skill to be sure, and my own suggestion to tweet "this ain't it chiefs " at Dumas and Setee for libbing it up at Jagmeet's presser was shot down and the campaign won't let me near the official account but whatcha gonna do

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Greens be greening

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

How do I, a person who won't be able to vote until the election following this one, help the NDP rend the cons asunder? I am a computer toucher by trade and not able to canvass because I work stupid hours. It's there something little I can do that would help?

Toss $5 at them?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

They can't be trusted with it, they're so bad at messaging. I would prefer to DO something rather than hope they can

Then help them with that messaging?

Use those computer skills! Touch "like" everytime Singh says he's gonna tax the rich!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Guess I wasn't rude enough in my first post so I'll rephrase

Yes thanks I'd like that very much do I just stroll up to an office and say "who I gotta beat at thumb wars to run your messaging" or is there a better approach

You're asking a forum of bitter shut ins how to help out a group of people instead of just asking those people lol

Just email them dawg, tell em what you can and can't do

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks for the genuine answers folks, I've reached out and got a completely useless response.

Especially when, and here's the important bit: the people you want me to ask are hopelessly incompetent.

You're welcome! Also I don't actually know you, so all I have to go on is your posts; where you asked how you could help the dippers since you can't vote :shrug: if you don't want to help them increase their competence, then that's ok too idgaf but I dunno what you want to hear

I'm just putting up signs so far in my riding cuz I don't want to phone bank and I'm not available for canvassing yet, hopefully I'll find some time to do the latter but it's doubtful

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

ZShakespeare posted:

I volunteered with the NDP for a couple of years, showing up to farmers markets and talking to people. All you have to do is show up. They didn't have any ideas to put my computer touching skills to use.

I honestly think that independent organizing and pushing for specific policies is a better way to go than donating time to a party that will never have any power and wouldn't know what to do with it if they did.

That being said I'm not aware of any organizations that operate in that space, have good politics, and can utilize computer touchers ( maybe because computer touchers seem to mostly be libertarian poo poo heads?)

This is also very good advice.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

O'Toole flipped his message today on the firearms ban. Now he wants to keep the liberal status quo.

lmao that's gonna cost him some single issue voters i know

Good!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Well it's like you allude to earlier in your post - they have to make up stuff because in reality there's no substantial difference between a grit and a tory

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Pleads posted:

It's loving wild to me that the conservative premieres across the country are underwater on every loving poll for their poo poo policies and overt hatred of their own constituents and they represent the past, present, and future of the federal conservative party and yet somehow this election is 'close'.

It's all so loving stupid and I'm so very tired of everything sucking.

Don't kinkshame, some Canadians like to get hosed by gross fat dudes

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Ah Zellers, the poor man's Sears (which was the poor man's the bay)

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-in-that-moment-i-knew-he-wanted-me-to-lie-jody-wilson-raybould-recalls/

JT is the Michael Jordan of douchebags, just when you think he can't top himself he finds a new level lmao

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Honestly, I believe he pressured her and told her to let SNC go but she changes her story every single time she gets attention and also hired loving Kinsella to manage this so......

Believe women, even when they say unflattering things about your hero

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Also rip Norm MacDonald :'(

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Re: strategic voting

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2021/08/30/Does-Strategic-Voting-Actually-Work/

I would remind that our system, for better or worse, was first designed for roving gangs of largely illiterate violent drunks

If you're strategizing, your overthinking it

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

ZShakespeare posted:

We aren't going to get any left wing policy passed until we actually have a left wing party. Until that point you might get some minor fiddling with the tax code or a means tested tax rebate for small business owners who operate in a marginalized neighbourhood for 3 years and source 10% of their inputs from domestic sources.

The only actual political force that is offering an alternative to shitheaded neoliberalism is the loving fash, and no amount of posting is going to change that.

We have 3-4 "major" ones, the succdem NDP, the marixist-leninists, and :canada:'s 3rd oldest political party the Communists! And while the greens suck the lefties have a large growing presence within, iirc Lascaris came in 2nd behind Paul for leadership

In terms of ideology there's probably a couple of others, there's literally 20+ political parties https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=pol&dir=par&document=index&lang=e

No doubt these don't count for a variety of reasons, but waiting for a rapturous future day (that from the pov of most ppl, has already occurred multiple times) when a truly pure leftist party arrives is a recipe for inaction and failure imo

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

The commies & ML's actually do a pretty good job covering the spread out here in BC, for fringe parties

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Jesus was the first #semenretention warrior

Didn't Buddha beat him by a few centuries?

PT6A posted:

lmao imagine being a catholic

The church certainly doesn't make it easy :(

ZShakespeare posted:

If only one of them actually ran candidates and articulated popular leftist policies. They even have a handful of those people in the states.

Lol ok doomer

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

ZShakespeare posted:

Thats a weird thing to call someone who doesn't think that the NDP is magically going to win and are crypto leftists, but ok.

Well sorry, I don't know you dude and that's a much more reasonable post than the one you made earlier that I was responding to

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Arivia posted:

i genuinely want to know what you meant by cryptoleftist, no foolin

I think they mean that the dippers are generally fairly centrist, only appearing leftist in comparison to the grits/tories

Which is fair but also so what, vote commie, unless they also aren't pure enough :shrug:

Edit: or they think that people posting here think Singh will win and is some sort of radical lol

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 18, 2021

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Evis posted:

They’ve already done it with Freeland via her Nazi collaborating grandfather.

It's not really "demonizing" if it's just plainly true

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

HellOnEarth posted:

Lmao the NDP candidate in my riding is the one who dropped out after people saw she tweeted about Israel apparently stealing the state's vaccine supply. I don't know who the gently caress to vote for now. Green, I guess?

:ussr:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Also Jesus Christ Rosemary Barton is really showing her colors this evening. She keeps pitching this result as a brave gamble for Justin Trudeau that has totally paid off.

I cracked up at her immediately talking up Mulcair's past "successes" after the dipper lady praised Singh, Barton hates them so much lol

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Does anyone have that Jagmeetum! pic handy? Y'know the Jeb! one

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I will not stop fomenting ww3 personally

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Annamie Paul is leaving, blaming her party for attacking her during the election.

Good riddance you delusional loving moron.

Both of these are true imo

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

OLP and ONDP have their attack ads written and ready to go

"Remember when The Coward Douglas Ford let your grandma die covered in poo poo drowning in her lungs? We do."

You wish, that's way too accurate and thus rude for them to say, gotta keep :decorum:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

The sjwflakes finally cancelled Jorp, rest in piss to a :canada: legend