Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

IDK, I think acknowledging past atrocities is an essential first step. Pretending to be blameless accomplishes nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

it's a known fact: if someone does something bad, all people who share any identifying attributes with them also do that bad thing. especially geographic location, people who live in the same place are well known to all be exactly alike, which is why local politics are such an unimportant topic

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

Pallister turns down 24k AZ vaccines because ??????

well, statistically, there's a 1 in 4 chance that a single person would get a blood clot from 24k vaccines. pallister is just weighing the risks!!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

apatheticman posted:

What is this line of thinking?

Politicians should be the last to integrate into society, they should be seen as making the same if not a greater sacrifice than they ask of us.

Not to mention the bullshit Kenney pulled during the pandemic, the Aloha gate poo poo and him coming back and saying hed throw people out of caucus if they were caught breaking the rules again.

Just because you want to do it, doesn't mean Kenney should be left off the hook.

I think it's meant to point out that this is bad because Kenney's actions are selfish and hypocritical, rather than because they're dangerous (as the whole "are they 6 feet apart?" thing implies).

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Fidelitious posted:

I have to say, this is a real quick follow up from Manitoba to Jesse Kline's "parks are a waste of space" article.
They really took it to heart.

Next up is privatizing sidewalks. It's free money, just sitting there.

I put a quarter in the siren. Ten minutes later, I was on the scene. It was a normal office building, strangled on all sides by public sidewalks. I hopped over them and went inside.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

might wanna spoiler that

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

I was thinking earlier today about the religious nut Boers at my work who ranted about how the pandemic was fake and vaccines are poo poo, so I did some reading about that history and now I'm more depressed than I was before and also, wouldn't it be great if we did away with Christianity? Maybe not everyone to begin with, we could start with eliminating Calvinism and see how that works out as a start.

calvinism. that's the one where you make up the rules as you go, right?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

Why does the Green Party even exist?

I've heard a perspective that the Greens are useful because they are so unlikely to ever have any power that they can take truly controversial stances and say things the other parties would be afraid to say. Essentially they exist to have nothing to lose.

Don't know if that's actually actually borne out in their behavior tho.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

absolutely devastating

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Starks posted:

Pressure them to do what, exactly? Give the land back?

clean drinking water would be a nice start

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Duck Rodgers posted:

Canada is selling weapons to Saudi Arabia. How can you possibly see any statement the Canadian government makes about any countries human rights record as anything other than cynically self serving. How are you willing to accept it.

Does the fact that some countries are cynical or hypocrtical in calling out the Uyghur genocide make that genocide any less real or reprehensible?

e: lol i thought this was the China thread, that at least makes a little more sense. But I don't think the alternative here, wherein Canada says "well WE did genocide so it's only fair China gets to as well," is particularly attractive.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 1, 2021

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Duck Rodgers posted:

Also it's weird that people keep using a broad brush 'we' 'you' 'Canada' etc. That's nationalism.

how else do you think the Canadian government should refer to the actions of a large number of Canadian government employees? you would prefer "they"?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

infernal machines posted:

https://twitter.com/CityNews/status/1413512766644625410

Ontario take the lead in the race to be the dumbest province in Canada

Great radio clip from the Waterloo medical officer of health this morning, saying essentially, "Yes our cases are still high, and they're all Delta, but we are still entering Phase 2 on Monday. Get vaccinated!"

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

i want ONE marshmallow and i want it RIGHT NOW!!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I had Pfizer then Moderna, as did my partner. I had a sore arm for ~3 days but not debilitatingly so, and a brief bout of dizziness about 24 hours after the shot. Partner had the same arm, and had a rough first night with a lot of flu symptoms, but those had dissipated by 24 hours after the shot.

e: this was after the Moderna. Our first Pfizer shots were side effect-free.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 12, 2021

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

For some reason young women 18-30 have started to really, really not like Justin Trudeau.

18-29 Men: Singh vs Trudeau: 55 to 49. Not too far off. Men like Trudeau fine.
18-29 Women: Singh vs Trudeau: 56 to 29. That's a 20 point plunge there for some reason.

From the latest abacus data released this morning
https://abacusdata.ca/party-leaders-canada-abacus-july-2021/

It's because he shaved the beard, I guarantee the same trend appears amongst gay men.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I believe they did commit to like tripling the immigration quota this year, since it was nonexistent last year.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

McGavin posted:

No poo poo they're campus Conservatives. Can you imagine becoming a Conservative late in life? Like, you make it to your 40s with a functioning brain and then suddenly realize that you want to make life worse for everyone around you? That's some Captain Planet supervillain poo poo right there.

"If you're young and conservative, you have no heart: if you're old and liberal, you have no brain!" was conventional wisdom in my household growing up.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Willatron posted:

Yeah but this saying was coined by people whose fortunes and quality of life generally improved as they got older. It makes zero sense to anybody born after 1975 or so.

just to be clear, i don't agree with my parents on this one.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Health Services posted:

Some of this is people wanting to travel see family in other places, not pleasure cruises.

all the more reason to be extremely on top of your poo poo in the first place. i'm an immigrant and i haven't seen a single member of my family for 18 months. the LAST thing i would be doing is blindly booking a flight, assuming i'll be fine, and then yelling at people when that doesn't work out for me. anyone who's been paying even an ounce of attention to border crossing logistics would know that that is insanely stupid and going to result in wasted time, wasted money, and wasted expectations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Madkal posted:

I am feeling rather charitable lately and am wondering what are some good charities to donate to. Nationwide or British Columbia orientated would be good.

CFCC - like a food bank but more "teach a man to fish" than "give a man a fish."

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

They're still getting tested as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure how much further we could reasonably go without, in essence, saying "hey, things are going to remain massively disrupted until we reach the point of perfect safety for everyone," and I don't know that's a good way to go.

It would be a great way, to go IF we were willing to actually commit to something other than tepid half-measures so that we could actually reach "perfect safety for everyone". But the boat on that has sailed a long time ago, and even eminently reasonable public-minded people have lost all trust in any level of government's ability to make decisions or, honestly, any kind of progress at all.

Fully vaccinated people who have recently taken a test is literally as safe as it's ever going to get.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Alctel posted:

A million times this

And you can't just abolish the position because having a head of state and the head of government combined into one person is a fast track to a dictatorship (seriously look at the list of countries that tried it, I think the US is the only one that didn't turn into a dictatorship and uh, it's been a fairly narrow escape a few times). You need that seperation.

As an ignorant American, I have no idea what this even means!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Tsyni posted:

Ages 12 and up it's 81% that have at least one dose, 66.6% that have two. Not sure if that's a better or worse way to look at it.

From a "hope" standpoint it's always better to look at %eligible. eventually kids will be eligible too, it's that 19% of adults to worry about

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

Alright, I scheduled a Monopoly-playing marathon with 7 of my closest friends on Friday. I just have to finish posting Missing Cat signs at the local park and then I'll start preparing the spread of delicious no name products purchased from my local Shoppers Drug Mart.

will you be driving your Silverado to the park, or biking without a helmet?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Fidelitious posted:

I think the concept can be good if people are replacing car trips with scooter trips but there are a lot of downsides. I believe these type of scooters still quickly turn into e-waste. I've heard that they've made improvements but the average lifespan of one can be measured in months and they're cheaper to replace than to repair.

At least back in 2019, they were so fragile that companies literally couldn't recoup even a quarter of the cost of the scooter before it disintegrated.

Oversharing posted:

So, our scooter company walks away with $2.32 in revenue per day from the average scooter in Louisville. As we said at the beginning, Louisville data indicates that the average scooter was around for between 28 and 32 days. That means the typical scooter generated something like $65 to $75 in revenue for the company after most operating costs over its lifetime.

You see where I’m going with this. Let’s be generous and say the company paid $360 for each scooter, as Bird aims to. At the rates calculated above, that company only recoups $65 to $75 on the cost of each scooter—in other words, it loses $295 to $285 per scooter.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

As someone who is finally able to see my family for the first time in 18 months thanks to this, I am OK with it. To get into Canada, you have to prove you've been vaccinated and tested negative within the last 3 days. It's hard for me to imagine a higher bar than that.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

ToxicAcne posted:

With the complete failure of the Defund the Police movement

if it can't be changed in twelve months, it must be either impossible or not worth doing!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

i haven't literally lol'd about politics in a long, long time. thanks, PCs!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Has anyone ever been swayed by charges of "opportunistic election!!!"? That's just a placeholder talking point while the leader's office preps the email campaign, right?

In a way, "opportunistic election" is like the epitome of representative democracy. If more people really do wish Libs had more power than they do, shouldn't the representation adjust to reflect that? Isn't that the point of the system?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

o'toole is a nazi in exactly the same way that singh is a communist

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Like, how do people look at the way that conservstive provinces have been running poo poo into the ground and then say "more of that, please!"

by not looking any further. "Well, this poo poo sucks, but it was the best that could be done!"

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

poo poo's gonna get real awkward when people check out the track record of this "Queen" institution that all these streets are named after.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

tbqf i'd be more interested in helping 41 year olds buy their first house than a 25 year old or whatever

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Count Roland posted:

I seem to find myself in this odd zone where I'm mostly opposed to requiring vaccines (unless say you're a nurse at a hospital or old folk's home) and yet I have both doses myself and think the vaccines are beneficial. I find anti-vaxers to be morons but don't agree with those that think it should be mandatory which seems to be put me in this political no-mans land. Apologies if this has already been discussed to death.

For me, it's like seat belts. Yeah, there are a few extremely limited circumstances where it might do you harm, and sometimes it won't save you, but the vast majority of the time it's going to protect you and the people around you. That feels like a really easy "yes" for government enforcement.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Basically I think the vaccines are good and people should get them, but making them mandatory will have marginal benefits in relation to the anger they cause, when other methods are available.

Taking just this part of the post - I think the anger mandates will cause is good. I'm extraordinarily tired of society sacrificing the lives of the most vulnerable to protect the feelings of the most selfish. I'm not saying that's what you specifically are a proponent of, but that's what I see our politicians doing when they talk about "divisive" policies.

quote:

If it comes down to mass death or mandatory vaccines, then sure, impose the mandate; I’m not going to die on this hill. But the mandate will get messier as effectiveness wanes with time, as boosters become available and new variants emerge. Testing (and enforced quarantine for positive tests!) is an effective way to track and limit the spread of the virus. Limiting ourselves to vaccines alone in determining who can do what is not only alienating but it is also less effective than a combined method.
And to this point, I agree, but I think the key word there is "combined." Mask and vaccine mandates are a minimum, and we should build on top of them rather than try to replace them with testing. That's what's happening at the border: to enter, you have to be both vaccinated AND have a negative test.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

enki42 posted:

I've heard some people say that this will further push away the hardcore antivaxx people, but IMO they're a lost cause anyway, there's no rational argument that will convince them, and you'd probably have to get to the level of physically forcing a vaccine on them (which I don't see happening anytime soon). Besides which, if the end result is that antivaxx people just can't do non-essential risky activities while there's still a lot of active cases, but never get vaccinated, that's still a win in my books.

I can't imagine how someone whose stance is "I will never take the vaccine under any circumstances" could be pushed further away. I think those folks would be more easily reached if more of their friends and family ended up getting the vaccine despite espousing similar views, than by society saying "actually, you're right, we don't care if you put us in danger, that's fine." Appeasement doesn't work.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Another Bill posted:

I really feel for health workers right now, it's complete bullshit that the cops are defending them.

We need to stop calling this an anti Vax movement, it is a fascist movement.

personally i'm just glad the term "anti-vax" has won out ofer the mind-numbing "vaccine hesitant"

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

MatchaZed posted:

So who will the Libs part for, Green or NDP? Mike Morrice exists and got like 25% in this riding last time.

Mike came in 2nd last time, above the Conservative candidate. The NDP had a negligible result and are not running the same candidate this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Powershift posted:

Churches are exempt from Alberta's mask requirements because of loving course they are.

:canada: "Sorry folks, you're not allowed to recklessly endanger every stranger you pass by."

:tfrxmas: "But what about in church?"

:canada: "Church? Yeah you can murder your neighbors at church, why not."