Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

If this holds out, we are in a pretty good place - 80-90% uptake is probably the best you can hope for without some kind of method to force vaccination. And for the children side, we can generally force vaccination as a condition of in-person schooling (for the age ranges the vaccine is/will be approved for).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

tagesschau posted:

People generally did wear them on the TTC up until the mask requirement was dropped for non-public-transit, non-health-care settings. A tiny handful of people stopped wearing them as soon as it was announced that the end of the requirement was coming, but there was >90% compliance on the TTC when masks were still generally required indoors.

Yeah, similar experience on Hamilton buses. After riding the bus constantly during the various "lockdowns" and mandates, at least when I wasn't working from home, I'd say that mask compliance was at least 90-95% - at least for wearing some kind of mask. A small amount would wear something clearly ineffective. It fell over the last six months, but prior to the mandate changing it was still very much the norm for people on board. Some drivers cared enough to ask people to wear masks, some did not - I don't blame them, it's a hard enough job without having to confront assholes about masks constantly.

As soon as the mandate dropped though, a switch was flipped and mask wearing has dropped to likely under 20%.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Femtosecond posted:

As usual the FPTP results are wild.

PC's win 81% of the seats with 55% of the vote.
Greens win 7% of the seats with 21% of the vote
Libs win 11% with 17% of the vote.
NDP wins 0% of the seats with 4.5% of the vote.

Hey whatever happened to that successful PR referendum in PEI? Ah well.

I mean, with 55% of the vote, the political result wouldn't have been much different with PR in this election.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Bleck posted:

Yes let’s all try to find the bright side of the stabbing

The bright side is that no one who was attacked is dead and the attacker is in custody, also without being dead.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Mederlock posted:

If the discourse on the left is that these people need housing unconditionally, free mental health support, and free addiction treatment, as well as a path to skill building and employment/education opportunities after they're on more stable footing, then they should put money where their mouth is and actually follow through on what they say needs to be done when they're in positions of power.

Of course all of that is fairly expensive up front and comes with plenty of NIMBY pissing and moaning, so the Liberals just keep paying the issue lip service but then don't follow through and leave folk's frustration with the social disorder open to be exploited by "tough on crime" Conservatives. I dunno. Seems like that's what PT6A was kinda pointing out

Is there a single person in this forum on the left that would disagree with this? Of course we loving want so-called progressive politicians to actually do this when they get it in, and are perpetually disappointed.

And the Liberals are not progressive or on the left, so of course they offer only mealy mouthed promises that go nowhere.

I sincerely hope that Chow can make some progress in Toronto, but even if she wants to there are massive institutional barricades to that, including the right-leaning press, lack of resources, and the police system itself.

Violence perpetuated by and on the unhoused community has a relatively straightforward first step towards a solution - give them housing. A comprehensive social housing program would offer an amazing return on investment for all levels. Adequate housing should be a right for everyone. Follow that with investing resources into an actual functioning mental health system that has availability now, not 4 weeks after someone is in crisis, along with drug programs accessible to all without fear of losing housing or work.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

"Those wishing to leave Gaza"

and go where

In this particular case, the statement is referring to those with citizenship outside of Palestine - so presumably that's where they would go.

Don't get me wrong, gently caress this response of the West to ongoing apartheid and genocide.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Anyone who claims you can reasonably budget for healthcare costs on a personal level is insane or has never had to deal with a significant health problem, whether its an emergency or a chronic condition. You can budget for food, because we know about how much food we need to eat in the next month and what different kinds are good/tasty. You can budget for phone, gas etc. You can even budget for potential emergency spending like a car breakdown, because you often have options like public transportation, car pooling, or taxis if you can't afford to repair your car right away - even if those options aren't as good, you generally can use them (exceptions exist of course).

Health problems will come in an insane variety of potential costs depending on what the issue is, and generally need to be treated soon or your quality of life will decline dramatically (and incur even worse costs down the road). You cannot possibly budget for this in any intelligent way other than getting lucky and not having a health problem.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Albino Squirrel posted:

The Peace has, by a large margin, the most water of any river in Alberta. It would probably make the most sense to build plants near the town of Peace River, or as noted Lesser Slave.

The North Saskatchewan is a pretty sizeable river now, but I don't know what the flow a nuke plant needs and I don't know what the Great Drying will do to the river.

Just doing some quick googling, looks like a 1600 MW nuke plant would use maybe 90 cubic metres per second for direct cooling, or 2 cubic metres per second for indirect/recirculating (cooling tower) cooling.

Peace River is about 2000 cubic metres/second (at the discharge at least), North Saskatchewan is about 300ish maybe?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

MikeC posted:

You truly overestimate how much the headspace space issues like LGBTQ community. Outside the odd bible thumper, they don't give 2 fucks about that and take a 'live and let live' attitude. What most object to, and I am in that crowd, is whether minorities like the LGBTQ/"Browns" (as politically charged a term as I have ever heard any conservative use) should be given some weird special consideration via quotas etc on jobs or benefits programs.

Conservatives everywhere are actively working to deny necessary medical care to trans-people and especially trans-youths. So gently caress you and your idea that this is a 'live and let live' attitude. The conservative movement wants LGBTQ+ people to die as an active policy choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Isentropy posted:

There's... A ton of Chinese chain brands (Bestco) and ethnic supermarkets in general. I don't know what part of the GTA this is about but it's not true in North Etobicoke. However it would be easy to miss fortinos and no frills are both in fact Sobeys brand

You mean Loblaws - Fortinos and No Frills are both Loblaws, not Sobeys.