Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Fidelitious posted:

According to the views of the intelligentsia on reddit who are adamantly opposed to our local action, the renaming of the SJAM back to its original name: The toppling of this statue of Ryerson is tantamount to erasing history and now no one will know who Ryerson is or what he did.

Seriously though, people want to maintain the SJAM name because of 'history' when it's had that name for less than a decade and people aren't going to forget who loving John A. MacDonald is.

Statue Keepers are a VERY weird bunch of people that get VERY upset when you inform them that their rhetoric stands hand in hand with the white supremacist statue keepers downstairs in America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Fidelitious posted:

It seems a little bad taste for people to be booing and cheering politicians at a vigil for victims of a hate crime, but I guess politics is unstoppable.

Absolutely boo the shitheads that all argued against Motion 103

https://twitter.com/bruce_arthur/status/1402264024033730570

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Arivia posted:

the funny thing is how the cop asks him if he has weapons and he's like "only my words and my mind"

funnily enough there's nothing more dull than a person who says smarmy poo poo like this

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Saskatchewan’s NDP is associated with austerity measures from the 90s and has never been able to shake that monkey off their back.

Ontario's NDP is associated with actual real good-results orientated austerity measures from the early 90s and will never hear the end of it.

RAE DAYS RAE DAYS RAE DAYS

As if the Cons would'nt have a worship plaque if they came up with that scheme.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Muscle Tracer posted:

"If you're young and conservative, you have no heart: if you're old and liberal, you have no brain!" was conventional wisdom in my household growing up.

yeah and those people grew up eating lead paint chips and it loving shows

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Goosed it. posted:

This is so disgusting. I haven't spoken to anyone in Toronto who supports this, even well-off old people. Although, I haven't talked to anyone who supports dofo, so....

But, in a serious way, what can be done to stop this? Anything? Writing to councillors doesn't seem to be very effective.

/r/toronto is overwhelmingly pro police doing this it seems from the couple threads I saw

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

2020 die for the economy number to go up
2021 die for your right wing politician polling number to go up

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

call the election gently caress that guy

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Orthanc6 posted:

Right-wing politics are an existential threat to humanity. The game being played is to see if the rest of humanity can survive whatever destroys them.

They all said it from the start when it was first popping off "Why do I care? I'll be dead when the consequences of my actions arrive"

Notice how they don't say that anymore? It's because all across the world - children of these fucks all stared at their callous father brazenly telling his spawn "gently caress you and your future generations"

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I don't remember reading about Tim Hortons having presence in the field of Vimy and having a beach shack near Juno...

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I can't breathe into my balls because that's where pee is stored and I don't like carbonated pee.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

give me a house - consider it an economic injection - I'll need to spend money at Home Depot and I'll be a better productive employee paying for it so overall I'll pay more taxes so we can bomb aid other countries with my increased tax money

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Well to be fair the fact that it's not in mid-november or march - the holiday deserts is pretty dumb.

That stretch between thanksgiving and christmas is loving brutal same with family day and easter is equally brutal

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Arivia posted:

It’s not supposed to be a holiday tbf. It’s supposed to be a day off work for national reflection and learning. I’m not betting there will be a lot of that from the people who do get it off.

Yeah I'm sure if you just did something like redirect all tax revenue gained on that day to first nations it'd be a bit more impactful than some stupid day off that 90% of people will use as an excuse to get wickedly drunk

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

...you'd turn the following day into Black Friday For Chuds

So?

gently caress them - Chuds going to chud - holiday or tax deferral day

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

lmao imagine thinking you can West Wing speech your way out of the situation we're in.

Cold hard derision and exclusionary tactics hit the hardest and are often the easiest thing to do.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

The PPC gaining ground is going to shift the Conservative party more right which was inevitable and gross and awful. Forwarding my 2024 thanks to Justin for essentially handing a more fascist leader in 2024.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I only said thanks to Trudeau for the future fascist leader because if he waited this out - and called an election post-pandemic - the PPC wouldn't be a loving thing chipping away at the Cons. I get it though - it's not his responsibility to manage other parties but fucks sake what a stupid loving election.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

enki42 posted:

Unfortunately canadian law requires elections every 5 years.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

It's still possible for the pandemic to get worse before it gets better, requiring expanded mandates that would generate more PPC voters. So the other side of that cointoss is good job captain blackface for nipping the PPC thing in the bud before it got too serious.

ah gently caress!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

RBC posted:

I've read that if you're in bad enough shape to get put on a vent with covid, there's like a 5% chance of coming out of it. So almost all of those covid patients will get put on vents for weeks and sometimes months only to die. With outcomes like that, at this point it makes sense just to not do it.

what a loving great attitude jesus christ

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

has there been any justification for why we didn't just Implement mass testing at large? why not just make it easier for people to check.

stock pile tests and wait long enough for them to start charging for it

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Imagine working at McDonalds and making $8.50 and having someone come through and order a big mac meal that costs about 1.25x your hourly wage.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

After the last election, there were people posting here, unironically, that a few more elections with incremental gains and the ONDP will form the government.

Yeah I'll admit it - it was me. I thought there was momentum. There isn't. She's a loving landlord and has continually misstepped and moved the NDP further away from a worker's party into some weird pseudo liberal party.

At this point you might as well merge the two parties together to just loving defeat Doug.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

As someone with a friend who's a cop, he's told me some harrowing poo poo. Especially here in Winnipeg. It doesn't excuse the pieces of poo poo out there but tons of domestic abuse, kids screaming as their parents beat the poo poo out of each other, people out of their minds on drugs, and other poo poo will gently caress you up without the proper support.

One of my friends is a cop and we're in a low crime area - the overwhelming amount of cases he deals with is either fent related overdoses and alcohol fueled domestic violence.

The worst things he's seen is the bad parenting cases though (outside of the train suicides of course)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Doug Ford your time is nigh

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

no gently caress it keep going - this stupidity must keep growing and the cpc must fade into obscurity

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

infernal machines posted:

That not how this works, unfortunately.

Can I dream a bit?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Less Fat Luke posted:

Wow Hillier says he's not running for re-election. Good riddance lol.

is he giving the ol' self cancel and make a substack a try?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

the very thought of poilievre being the leader of Canada is so unabashedly scary at first thought.

but then Trump and then Boris - literal doofuses becoming heads of state. It's insane. Of COURSE he's going to be our next PM

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

We should focus on what we're good at. Driving Real Estate profits to their highest heights ever.

So in line with that, I'd like to introduce the Mattamy Homes Mobile Housing Development Corps and the Vistry Group Housing Marines

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Combining:
a military budget increase for more gear
+
gear having to come from Canadian companies
+
the real brain drain we're seeing from with the housing crisis is a HELL of a trio.

You thought GDLS products were bad now? Oh gently caress it's going to get so so so much worse.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

the red burns too much on the way down :(

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Another Bill posted:

This is according to the people who resented him, so I wouldn't take it seriously. It's the equivalent to your buddy who just got fired telling you their ex-boss sucks.

let's not make it a false dilemma - both sides being bad can and will likely be applicable in this situation regarding police force leadership.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Something something people using housing as an investment vehicle and not for living in

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Source: literally every Gen Xer and above becoming landlords during 2020 and beyond.

Obviously there's a myriad of contributing factors - the folks in the Canada Debt thread would probably give you a more nuanced answer but you can basically put the following above foreign investment:

- REITS
- Landlords
- Housing Flippers
- Real Estate's lovely unethical compensation structure
- An insane market driven by fomo and number-can't-go-down-syndrome
- municipalities zoning laws basically being only sfh for the last decade
- extremely cheap debt

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 6, 2022

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Joke's on them, I shower mid-afternoon.

boss gets a dollar, i get a dime, that's why i always shower on company time

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

They have no money to do this, this is literally billions of dollars

money isnt real lol

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

I hadn't been to Wonderland in years, so when I had to drive up there a few years ago I was surprised to see it's in the middle of a sub division now.

yeah dude step outside your front door and just have behemoth going 350mph around a corner like 15 ft from your front porch

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

How much did she spend on those props?

Did they have craft services for the crew?

at least $12, maybe $13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

So in a world where your choices are Montana's, or East Side Mario's or The Keg, it is your least bad option.

God, living in Burlington is the loving worrrrrrrst