Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Randalor posted:

I'm honestly wondering if we can quarantine Winkler until they actually get vaccinated. Sadly I don't think we can do it for the surrounding area, but what's the population of the surrounding area vs the population of Winkler itself?

Start a false flag op to get people from Winkler to put anti-vax/corona isn't real poo poo on their cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I think this may be of interest to the thread

https://twitter.com/JeremyAppel1025/status/1405307529781866497?s=1

Key points:

* The remaining MPs' district associations want to deaffiliate over her dipshit staffer calling them anti-Semitic

* Annamie Paul dared them to do it, saying that they might actually gain something from losing them - you know, the actual MPs in parliament. The things normal political parties try to get

If I'm the MP in Fredericton, who just saw the party piss away a poo poo ton of money running in the safest of safe Liberal seats, and am now being harassed by some Hasbara guy for not giving pro Israel statements...

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Goosed it. posted:

He's speaking authoritatively on topics that are well beyond his area of expertise. He's not a doctor. He's a science teacher with no formal training in medicine or in public health. He appears to be a coauthor on some microbiology papers in the late aughts but nothing that he has led and, prior to COVID, nothing since then.

He also has a treated POC, and esp WOC, poorly throughout the pandemic.

If it's the specific Chatelaine writer I'm thinking of, he was rudely saying "of course transmission happens in schools, how is COVID not like every other airborne transmitted disease" and being called every name under the sun for not appreciating the concerns of working mothers.

And making this about WOC issue is disingenuous when you look at what the positivity rates were like in working class minority neighborhoods. Real easy to say "no risks in schools, open em up, #leanin" when your kids are going to school in the Annex, not in Jane and Finch.

That being said he's the poster child for "media training is important"/"you're right, you're just a dick"

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Gros Tarla posted:

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fe...in-toronto.html

Looks like the Greens are gonna fumble this all the way to the end. Is being wiped entirely from the electoral map their objective? Probably.

I think she said something as much during Zatzman's ultra Zionist temper tantrum. "We may lose a few MPs but we will be a stronger party".

I think this was after the NB MP said "gently caress this" and just became Liberal, because she realized the federal Greens are loving useless (and the NB NDP no longer exist due to the sabotage of one guy who's now a PC minister)

NE: added in some context about New Brunswick politics.

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 17, 2021

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

infernal machines posted:

I'm very curious how you envision a "successful" coup playing out in Canada

Canada is very much like Burkina Faso in that the true center of power isn't in Burkina Faso (even more actually!) so any coup here would be pointless without Washington endorsement

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

bub spank posted:

In fun news, some ladies in Saskatoon started a really obvious ponzi scheme that not only had the benefit of ripping off investors, but also creating a giant bubble in Saskatoon's low-income housing market:

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/failed-saskatoon-real-estate-company-was-using-new-money-to-pay-old-money-lawyer-1.5848048

I have 0 sympathy for these people. The business model of the company was to buy up single-family homes in Saskatoon's core neighbourhoods, and then rent them out to the people they had priced out of the market. It's basically people from B.C., upset about what foreign ownership has done to the housing market in the Vancouver area, decided to do the same thing to Saskatoon. These poor people are now stuck with the terrifying responsibility of being landlords for the properties that they bought.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Saskatoon's housing market if 500 small single family homes come up for sale at once.

Unlike crypto, there's probably things you can seize and sell to get something back for the victims

Also upon further reading: lol no such thing as free money

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 5, 2022

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Upstate NY is basically Canada tbf

Bonus if you agree: one Joseph Smith was arrested there in 1826 and charged with fraud for doing something really really similar to the golden plates thing

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

eXXon posted:

Just average out David Suzuki and Don Cherry and crown Nick Suzuki.

:hmmyes:

Looking down the list... Neil Young or Dallaire? Gretzky is good but he has some weird political views no?

(Also Norman Bethune still has not that much recognition here for the most part but a certain person and country does)

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

stab posted:

Welp, as predicted, the CAQ won Quebec's election with a crushing majority (probably the biggest in Quebec history)

Yay for 4 more years of right wing xenophobia and rural vote pandering!!!

Quatrième lien???

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

tagesschau posted:

You know the provinces do actually have a ton of explicit authority that the states don't, right?

And that the actual industrial manufacturing base and where parts are made to run their economies are not in Alberta or SK, right?

Have fun buying your poo poo at maximum markup ratés and basically being White Puerto Rico

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Powershift posted:

He was fighting forces in public that he was firing up in private to maintain power.

He played with fire and burned down the province. Doesn't deserve an ounce of sympathy or respect. He doesn't deserve to show his face in public.

The Franz von Papen clause. Trying to think you can control fascism and getting run over by them is older than time

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

You have no right to bitch that the system doesn't work, because you refuse to participate in it. It is your right to choose not to participate, but you can't then piss and moan about the results of a lack of participation.

In my life I have never had any competitive race at any federal level and a kid with the magic last name Ford won the vote sailing away. Should've voted harder?

ETA: check how many races are decided by 15%++. Maybe with ATV or PR things would matter

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

infernal machines posted:

Toronto Ward 2 and the provincial ward are a fun case, because there have been a number of good alternative candidates with extensive ties to local communities who have run strong campaigns both municipally and provincially and have barely managed a rounding error of votes in the face of a Ford brand candidate. Bonus: The various fords have won their seats with 60-70% of the vote, with less than 30% turnout, for like 15 years.

My recommendation would be to get out of Ward 2, but I realize that's not really practical.

Yeah. It's a decent place to live especially if you like urban parks but electoral politics are dire and depressing. I still wished the lesbian union teacher lead would've run to maybe get some people who wouldn't vote - particularly black residents like me - to care

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Mr. Mercury posted:

Why are we even having this discussion with FPTP

Double post but this guy gets it. Some form of PR would fix our issues while maintaining "The System"

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

While that wasn't how I spelled out that point (which was in my post previous to that) there's still a few things worth making explicit as a response:

(1) The popularity of ideas can be affected by political organization and advocacy campaigns. Such that different segments of the population (and different political groups) have greatly different ability to engage in organization and advocacy, an idea's lack of popularity can be the result of a poorly- or non-functioning democracy.

(2) Popular ideas can also not make it into public policy. In fact, research from the US on affective polarization and political efficacy suggests that there's very little correlation between popularity and enactment such that a lot of very popular policies do not get enacted.

(As a kind of (2a), I think that you've inserted "less popular" for yourself, and none of myself nor cat botherer nor bleck nor anyone else has committed to that.)

(3) The lack of implementation of certain sorts of policies is absolutely evidence for some kind of democratic deficit. It's not conclusive, of course, but a relative lack of implementation of policies which, for example, benefit renters rather than landlords is certainly evidence that the interests of some group of people (in this case renters) are having trouble finding democratic expression.

I thought I would disagree but talking to a SA Admin: the candidates don't bother reaching anyone who isn't a home owner and not solidly middle class.

I voted for my Ward 2 NDP candidate and put up a sign because they bothered to show up. Not a registered homeowner? Good luck finding anyone to care about your concerns

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Let's just ignore the Powell memo and massive dark money machine that built up to that. I mean it's so bad the NYT has to put asterisks on the best seller list because they get its being gamed

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

If any union has the spheres they'll stand on the side of CUPE. I think most non cop unions and non LIUNA unions would

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

Housing shortage (not real) instead of housing-cost crisis (real, murdering the poor and lower middle class) is I'm sure a very deliberate choice of terminology. Anyway that's awful but suburb developers and their elected buddies win everytime so oh well, Ontario stays losing.

Here in NS the premier recently passed a bill to allow him to gently caress with municipal decisions too which is pretty epic. It's starting with Halifax council's ban on construction after 8pm and I can't wait to see where it goes next!. Shame too, the HRM has some actually okay plans for city planning even if they are still extremely over-reliant on condos and luxury apartments.

Edit: Houston forcing the private power monopoly to stick to a 1.2% rate increase (NS Power was asking for like 22% lmfao) is okay I guess though. Better to just nationalise NS Power and give their executives a booklet on how to apply for EI but not even the NDP would dare suggest acting against the monopoly.

The NSPCs have literally zero support inside of Hali and their platform includes widening highways no one uses to cut down on those suspicious early morning Saturday Sunday accents. Their urban policy is "lol and lmao"

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

MNIMWA posted:

Moscrop is a decent follow (though he does sweet a lot), and I think this take on Doug Fordism is generally correct

https://twitter.com/David_Moscrop/status/1590007571100110854

I'm not smart enough to point out how this might be used as a way to defeat him in the next election, other than to say if you can drive a wedge between him (or the OPC in general) and some of those client communities, it might help to weaken his support enough - if there's a suitable replacement

I grew up in Ward 2. Clientélism describes him to a T. The man literally handed out cash ffs. There's a ton of other little examples such as subsidizing the Don Bosco football team

This is why the LIUNA letter probably spooked him - they're kept onside by largely being left out of his anti labour agenda and his love for highways and certain infrastructure projects.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

He either a) is a petroleum engineer of some kind in which case he'll easily find a chud subcontractor to work for or b) is gonna get on the wingnut welfare train

NE: oops I thought he was in Alberta, but (a) still stands. Remember how LIUNA was about masks and mandates?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

Dreaming wistfully of how much cooler Halifax could've been if they didn't amalgamate the entire loving county into the HRM (probably not that much cooler tbh but at least the vast majority of our city council wouldn't have been suburbs and rural villages)

No it's great that farms and mines get to decide Halifax policy

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Guest2553 posted:

F16s have been operating in the Arctic for literal decades without issue and the internal fuel of the 35 is significantly better than the 18 even before considering the effect of internal stores. What are the fuel and weather issues you speak of that wouldn't affect any other air platform?

the F16 didn't shove computer controls into every nook and cranny developed by the people who brought you the 737 Max

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Guest2553 posted:

Assuming this isn't a trollint collection attempt, what does that actually mean? I would legit like to have recent sources on this.

1) MDLM =/= Boeing. Even if it was the same company, the workers and checks between "multinational defense bid" and "money grab pitched by that rear end in a top hat MBA" are worlds apart.

2) Baseline F16 was fly by wire and has only received more computer since. Modern single seat combat aircraft cannot be safely flown, effectively employ mission systems, and be expected to survive without computer assistance.

There are issues yeah but if these are the quality of spears you have to throw we probably disagree on a more fundamental level like "what do air forces actually do" and "should Canada have one"

I think we should have one because "Defense Against Help", but I'm just worried we didn't winter test them before putting in such a big order. Under whatever state you want we do need a (R)CAF

I don't want to reveal too much but I used to work on a very very old, mostly analog, anti submarine warcraft. FF knows which one. I've got a strong distrust of computer systems

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 11, 2023

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Tighclops posted:

So everybody that thinks getting involved militarily must be a tankie that supports Putin and thinks what Russia is doing is justified, right? Just like you jerk yourself off to reruns of Red Dawn and that one where Clint Eastwood steals the prototype fighter jet from the soviets, right? I'm sure that's a fair characterization, yeah?

Stick to straight facts like the rehabilitation of Nazi collaborators and the letting out of "sus" people like Poroshenko.

It doesn't matter how many woke baes** the Ukr government and LockMart put on the screen if the actual levels of power are held by people who really like Bandera...

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Bleck posted:

Would you like to elaborate in what capacities you believe Ethiopia is less relevant to Canada than Ukraine?

Or better yet when did most of that Ukrainian community come to Canada and under what circumstances? I don't think it was like fleeing the Derg

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Nilbop posted:

What "prequalifications" do you see in "Any other conflicts?"

Canada has a larger population of European heritage than Ethiopia by several magnitudes. It has closer ties to Europe, and longer ties, and more complex ties, involving immigration, trade, investment, military cooperation and just about every conceivable facet of international relations.

African people have been in Canada, not as citizens, for hundreds of years before the Doukhouburs arrived in the late 19th century. And the question of who is European takes you down a road you really should turn left from. Question: were Portuguese and Spanish and Italian people European for the vast majority of this country's history? Or even Irish Catholics?

Let's chat with the people of North Preston who can't secure running water or electricity about who's really a part of "Canadian culture" before we make broad sweeping statements like this that sound... Off.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Bleck posted:

Your reflexive association between "people that cops murder" and "our enemy, the Russians" is more damning than anything I could post in response, frankly.

I can’t wait to see how well the message of “cops good” and “more money for Ukraine, sorry about your quality of life” do in the 905 and 416. I know Jamaican Canadians like me who saw this sort of thing happen regularly on JTV will love it. It also happened to Indian students as well IIRC

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

TrueChaos posted:

For what it's worth, security on construction sites is frequently incredibly lax, to the point where they'll leave keys in the ignition of heavy equipment. While in university, on the way home one evening rather drunk, we found the construction site near our apartment unlocked. We re-arranged all the equipment, because the keys were just sitting in the ignition.

I see it all the time on construction sites these days. We were having problems at one site recently, with reports of unauthorized access. The contractor was adamant nothing was wrong, so I asked them to meet me on site an hour after the site closed for the day. I got there 10 minutes early and had been listening to the radio in the excavator (with the engine going) for 7 of those minutes when the contractor showed up.

Causing damage with heavy equipment is very easy. Using said equipment for actual construction works takes skill. While I completely agree it's very unlikely that the protesters actually did do that, it is generally easy & potentially not all that difficult to do.

Engineers and loving with construction stuff, name a better duo. Might have seen quite a few tables made out of NS DMV signs

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

He could at least have brought back per vote subsidies

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Rockstar Massacre posted:

yeah he was an RCMP fanboy who was sheltering someone who i *think* was an informant. i'm not sure, believe it or not they haven't made that information super available

He had a known fake cop car a bunch of weapons and a ton of connections to gang men

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

My MP didn't even vote? I can't find the vote for Etobicoke North on the site....

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

Looks like she hasn’t voted on anything since December 7, 2023

https://www.ourcommons.ca/Members/en/kirsty-duncan(58877)/votes

edit - She took medical leave in January 2023 for a “personal health challenge”. No idea if she’s still on leave.

Ooh I remember this now. Hope she's well but I'm thinking she probably has some more serious issue. Not good!

ETA: been dealing with cancer on and off it seems. Get well, she has been one of the better MPs in the Toronto lib caucus

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 20, 2024

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

My MP is probably and really shouldn't run for re election even though she's been fine. She's been out like a year plus with cancer.

Terrified of what empty Brampton business suit slumlords the Liberals and NDP will drop into Etobicoke North

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 17, 2024

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Less Fat Luke posted:

Jama was in the ONDP and right after the Oct 7th attack made a post saying that the occupation of Palestine should end. Ford's government then censured her and Stiles' NDP kicked her out.

Edit: here's more

Lol for suing the priemeir for libeling her as a terrorist...

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Segue posted:

The Liberals hosed up but given that education and health are provincial responsibilities, it's frustrating this all fell on their wishy washy asses. They realized far too late they have a stick they can use, and it's too little too late.

A big part of the post-secondary crisis in Ontario was Ford opening up colleges to just sell syllabuses to scam institutions, which the Wynne government had expressly vetoed. Ford has frozen the payment system for family doctors so all the slots go unfilled because there's no monetary gain.

After years of being mismanaged it's kind of remarkable to see the good vibes coming out of BC and Manitoba as their Premiers jump on with federal funding and look to meaningfully improve lives. While Ontario is running record deficits for no material benefit whatsoever.

And given the low information voters that re-elected Ford, I'm confident Poilievre will benefit from the same, dismantle institutions, and make things much worse but face little pushback from his supporters because he justifies their identity politics. It's not great times!

Also, the one thing I think a lot of people will notice is he and his supporters are very anti-CBC and he's ideologically committed to cutting all its funding. With the lack of rural news and Canadian content (mid as it is) that's gonna be a hard thing to bring back

Mid content is how we get the Weeknd. More importantly I wonder how hell try to avoid cutting radio Canada which is still a really respectable institution and still covers things people love (e.g. sports)

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Another Bill posted:

Also no matter what they say leading up to election day, the Conservatives will 100% try to roll back abortion access in Canada if they form the next government. A plurality of their constituency and their MPs watch Fox News daily, have seen the repeal of Roe v Wade and will want to do the same to women here.

I imagine it will be the same argument, but replace "states' rights" with "healthcare is provincial jurisdiction."

What makes you think Orangeman Blaine Higgs will do that first thing?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Blood Boils posted:

Say what you will about his music, but he donated a few million bucks to Gaza aid

I mean, you don't have to listen to me, but if you really hate the grits and are in such a close riding you might want to consider voting dipper. Not that they're truly good obviously, but they are objectively less lovely than the alternative :shrug:

I like his music. It's perfect for what he is and he seems to be a nice guy. Not every rapper has to be Kendrick or Lupe.

And yeah honestly I'm not sure what to do in Etobicoke North. Kristy Duncan has been MIA for fighting cancer for a year now. I think if they try to drop in a random Indian slumlord...

1) if she's well she should run, she's been MPP here and wins with 80 pct

2) if she isn't resign and allow the Liberals to choose someone acceptable to the whole community here not just the rich slumlords who profited from fake colleges

3) nothing matters sauve qui peut

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Because we live in hell: the Liberals and NDP will both nominate slumlords who rent to not-just-here-for-the-PR Indians and both lose to a Conservative who is the same.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Bleck posted:

Hot take: the Liberals are religious fascists

No they absolutely are not, they understand that to win the bourgeois you need women

They don't have Leslyn Lewis "trying to get me murdered as a black queer" in their cabinet and they don't loving go to hang out with culty religious churches that ban women from wearing pants

I love computer touchers telling me they're the same so lol nothing matters. Accelerationism dot gif except not as a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Yeah we can agree that electoralism in a system where the press and who can run is controlled by the rich is just a rigged game and the good guys only win by mistake/error. If Niki Ashton or Angus won she'd have gotten the Corbyn treatment