Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Beelzebufo posted:

Just got my first shot on Saturday. My arm aches a lot but man am I happy to at least have the first dose in.

I'm coming up on three weeks since my first shot. Got sweats and chills and felt achy and fatigued the day after and couldn't really do poo poo all till the next morning, but that's nothing compared to the peace of mind it's brought me. Now waiting on shot #2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ChickenDoodle posted:

I can see one from my house, it’s called Mount Baker, so I get a choice of dying due to tsunami, extreme heat, forest fire, earthquake, or volcanic eruption!

That said, at this point in time it's actually Mt. Rainier that stands a better chance of going kablooey that Baker does. And if Rainier ever goes off, it's gonna really gently caress up Washington State, but Mt. Baker erupting certainly wouldn't be fun either.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oh thank Christ, I was mildly worried he might actually become Prime Minister somehow in the next election. No chance of that poo poo happening now (I hope). Thank you for your service, Erin, you literally insane glob of mashed potatos :patriot:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PT6A posted:

I mean, it worked so well for the PPC or whatever the gently caress they're called, why not???

It turns out, in fact, that no one wanted to feel the Bern-ier. But, hey, he was so crazy he brought the Bloc back somehow... That's something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drunk Canuck posted:

There's no way Harper comes back because he is in no position to muzzle the loving nutjobs in the CPC anymore.

As is what tends to happen when you purge all potential rivals and successors from the ranks thinking you'd die in office at a ripe old age and then get blindsided out of power. Harperland thankfully died with Harper's career in parliament, and the Cons still haven't found a way out of the Mad Maxime wasteland that cropped up overnight once the word got out that the king was dead.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PT6A posted:

I am less concerned about that overall, as I think a Socon is even less electable than the rancid jar of mayo, Andrew Scheer. I feel they may try, but I don't think it will work. We need to be less concerned about a Trump or a Bush and more concerned about a Reagan.

Yeah, Scheer was basically if not dead because of it then well on his way to electoral oblivion when he was asked how he felt about gay marriage being legal and a dial tone came out of his mouth. Someone who campaigns openly on "shove the gays back into the closet and annul all their sin unions by fiat" is on a bullet train to Literally Two Seats In The House town.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kinda hard to have a leadership vote when there's only two people in the party and one votes yes and the other votes no :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Trudeau sees this as his one shot to get his majority back so of course he's going to take it because O'Toole is melting before our eyes and is somehow an even worse Conservative leader than Andrew Scheer was. At this point it's only a question of who's gonna eat more of O'Toole's lunch, Trudeau or Singh.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

tagesschau posted:

Who do they even have to replace O'Toole, though? Don't say Harper. They don't seem to have much of a bench at the moment.

I assume that the writ won't be dropped until the Nova Scotia election is over, as is custom.

The irony is this is all Harper’s fault, purging the party of all potential rivals and successors over his term in office left them with a bench full of rudderless goobers with no leadership acumen.

DariusLikewise posted:

There was an interesting discussion on CanPol twitter the other day about how Scheer actually might have not been that bad. Everyone was focused on the fact that they didn't "win" but reducing the Liberals to minority status after a single majority term while winning the popular vote was a pretty good accomplishment. Harper got 3 cracks to win his majority and Scheer got turfed after 1. Not that I'm complaining, the Conservatives can suck it, but it's interesting to look at it from a different angle.

For example, ^^^ Scheer might well have been their best possible remaining choice and he actually did what Harper merely dreamed about : actually hurt Trudeau. God only knows what would have happened in that election if the Tories had real big boy or big girl candidate who knew what they were doing, or if the apparatus was still in place to actually groom Scheer into a worthy successor to Harper, had Harper not, in his monumental hubris, taken it down the hill from 24 Sussex one cold winter night and drowned it in the river.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

God, I think Skippy would def run again. Hell, Scheer clearly wants to be leader so bad he'd do is as a comeback vanity run

This might be a "be careful what you wish for" thing, and he's probably been utterly humiliated too many times to ever make another serious run at his boss's old crown, but I'd be very amused if Peter MacKay tried to make another grab at power and than ate poo poo directly into oblivion. Because he's Peter MacKay, and he exists only to be humiliated.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Georgia went blue last year, what's the odds on Orange Alberta? The NDP's literally within 5% of sending O'Toole to O'blivion at this rate.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I can't believe this man is actually younger than Justin Trudeau :negative:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

the talent deficit posted:

bc teachers and being furious at the provincial government. name a more iconic duo

Christie Clark and being heavily implicated in but never actually charged with any crimes.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 27, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

So BC and Alberta numbers are going back up again?

It's a combination of factors. First of all, BC and Ablerta are zeroing in on their vaccination opt-in ceilings. Luckily, that seems to be in the 60-70% area, which is a really good place to top out at, at least in comparison to the states. Secondly, it's the Delta variant that's driving numbers now, and it is ripping through the unvaccinated like a rocket-powered buzz saw right now. So numbers are rising all over the world right now thanks to that. We're still doing quite well in comparison to basically anywhere else in the world thanks to our vaccine rollout finally getting off its rear end and ramping up, but yeah this is still far from a good thing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

infernal machines posted:

Wait, Murphy Brown is running for office?

InfiniteZero posted:

If Murphy Brown liked to wear a MAGA hat and was a generally lovely person, sure.

It's never going to not be weird to me that there is a literal lovely Candice Bergen out there, and that she's Canadian.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HackensackBackpack posted:

Don't worry, they have a solid follow up.

https://twitter.com/CPC_HQ/status/1426242355422765056

Conservatives every day: "Trudeau must go!"
Trudeau: "Here's an election."
Conservatives: "No, not like that."

"I don't know what I'm doing, someone please send help."
- Erin O'Toole, Leader(?) of the Conservative Party of Canada

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mr O'Toole how do you feel about the backlash against your Charlie and the Chicolate Factory video?

Well first of all it was Willy Wonka and the Chicolate Factory and furthermore

Also good look here CBC. When do we board the DC-8s to meet Xenu?
https://mobile.twitter.com/CBCToronto/status/1426965620399149063

Whoever ok'd that picture at the CBC must think O'Toole is a massive joke. Also whoever (if anyone) ok'd that picture from the Conservative Party itself. And whoever actually made that picture.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Doctor posted:

He looks like an evil, bargain bin Colin Mochrie.

Or a pre-Island John Locke, the one who was an absolute loser goober.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cocaine Bear posted:

Wait, so that 14 words slogan with the letters docking into a weird limp swastika is real? Like not a lazy in the nose joke?

Great.

But the Conservative Party is NOT a regressive culture war party. Absolutely not, why would you even possibly begin to think that?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I don't speak French, but I know a dick joke when I see it :haw:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

infernal machines posted:

Put your pants back on.

NO!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

InfiniteZero posted:

-I'm Cliff Cullen, and I approve this message.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niDWhC5Pfic&t=2s

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ooo, I've seen this movie before. Hell yeah, it's Orange Mirage time again baby. That point in every federal election cycle where voters start telling pollsters they're voting NDP for about five weeks and then get scared and go rushing back to the Liberals at the last possible second because [insert self-serving reason here] and Trudeau wins again.

Charlie Brown is never going to kick that football.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gros Tarla posted:

He's the only reason the NDP has survived this long, when Quebec fell in love with him in 2011. His memory is the only meaningful thing they have to remain relevant. Or at least, that's what they seem to believe.

I mean the love affair didn't last all that long after his death given how quickly all of those orange seats evaporated under Mulcair, because it turned out that Quebec actually loved racism a hell of a lot more than they loved Jack Layton and/or Jack Layton's ghost.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Toronto—Danforth can become Danforth—Layton only if Calgary Southwest becomes Calgary Southwest—Stephen Harper's Ballsack.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Vancouver Canucks-False Creek

It hasn't sent an MP to parliament in over 50 years! :buddy:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Albino Squirrel posted:

On a provincial level there's a bunch of seats in Alberta named after party leaders. Edmonton-Decore, Calgary-Klein, and Central Peace - Notley spring to mind. (The last one is named after her dad, she runs in Edmonton). I do think they're all posthumous though.

So you're saying there's a chance that Harper could drag his ballsack across a vast swath of Calgary?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ZShakespeare posted:

So when will people realize that the only enforcement the vaccine mandate will get is the police showing up 5 hours later and taking a report about someone named "Karen" making a scene?

It's gonna be one of those things like how nobody realizes that money is actually worthless and imaginary and only has power because everyone agrees it does.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1430589021982543873

How are the Libs and NDP losing to these idiots?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/TorontoStar/status/1430539209299873797

Oops, I might have spoke too soon. O'Toole decided of his own volition to whip out a tsunami of shotguns, point them all at his feet and pull the trigger by openly telling people he wants a two-tiered healthcare system for the rich and the poor.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 25, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

That could be saving face. I would've just glued macaroni to it.

That said, I am now rather intrigued by O'Toole's ant corruption proposal.

e: gently caress

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

This, but unironically. Still waiting for Jagmentum to collapse at the last possible second like it always does for the NDP and all the scared pissbaby voters to go running back to the Libs and Cons when it down to put up or shut up time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also how beautifully circular is it that Trudeau's aspirational hubris at once was both the thing that saved us from Harperland AND the the thing that condemned us to return to Harperland at warp speed?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Philman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Bn4KfZqy4

edit- its the NDP candidate for Burlington, ON

Did he shower? Couldn't he be bothered to trim his beard? Couldn't he spring for a dress shirt? Was a headset without tape on it too expensive?

tragic.

Reminds me of how this was the most readily available official headshot of the 2020 Libertarian Party vice presidential candidate until like a week before the election:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Caedus posted:

This is the STRONGEST language I've heard out of a government official about anti-vaxxers this entire sad saga. Guess the mayor doesn't like it when the crazies come to his house.

https://twitter.com/CBCtanya/status/1433239396942159874

Wonder how many of those assholes are gonna be laid up in VGH on ventilators in the next two to three weeks? At least they'll be well familiar with the area when they have to go back there :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ego-bot posted:

I'm voting for the guy standing normally.

The "I'm not voting lol" thread just got gassed though :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ego-bot posted:

I'm voting for the guy standing normally.

I also take it the dude between Trudeau and Singh is the moderator, right? Or did they just let some rando show up in the place of Maxime Bernier and Annamie Paul?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Femtosecond posted:

On a question around Indigenous affairs and mass unmarked graves being discovered, Blanchet immediately seemed to ignore the question and try to pivot somehow into accusing Singh and the Liberals of using the issue to call Quebec racist and like man maybe line that came off more nuanced in French (as I was watching the english dub) but that seemed loving insane to me???

Blanchet attacked Singh twice on "calling Quebec systemically racist" and I think Singh held his ground here (albeit in english dub).

In the press conference after, an anglo reporter asked Blanchet if he thought systemic racism existed in general or just not in Quebec, and Blanchet dodged that question.

All of this seemed like it would be near career ending anywhere else but it's Quebec so I guess it plays different :shrug:

Also both Blanchet and O'Toole were proclaiming that there's a huge job shortage because of CRB and CRB needs to be cut. Singh was the only person that pushed back on this idea, noting that CRB is less than minimum wage and that the workers were not there to be found because of low wages. (Also literally they all probably got new, better jobs months and months ago when they were laid off initially)

The Bloc kinda needs Quebec’s festering racism to get and hold power, so of course Blanchet would hem and haw when asked if he thought racism was maybe a bad thing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

apatheticman posted:

It's pretty well known that in times of strife people go towards fascism/populism.

We also have a delayed fascist reaction. We wait for the rest of the world to gently caress around with fascism and only then, once we've seen the consequences of it and how poorly it worked out for everyone else who experimented with it, only THEN do we jump into the pool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McGavin posted:

I feel sorry for Swiss Chalet employees.

I've felt sorry for them for nearly 15 years now. Even before COVID finally killed the one in my home town, every one of the servers there looked existentially miserable, always. Their takeout service was fantastic though.