Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
victoria has murchie's tea which i enjoy a lot although it looks like they have places in vancouver now too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Hello mirror universe CanPol. I have minted some one of a kind rob ford NFTs in the style of disco elysium portraits

and I like them a lot. So much so that I'm offering any canpol poster from any universe a chance to claim these unique images! (a free avatar)

here's what's left

If you'd like one just post in the other thread since I have no power in this realm.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Looks like there will be protests tomorrow in the GTA, and CUPE should have a picket line finder on their website in the next day or two. They always support people showing up to man the picket line, and can always use food, water etc.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
They basically campaign on doing their job poorly because that's how you run government like a business.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
You don't even have to extend beyond antisemitism. Remember when Parliament applauded a member of the SS?

any federal politician who wants to start lecturing about antisemitism can definitely sit this one out unless they want to remove the two memorials we have to different SS divisions that have been up for decades.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
best part was the police said they were looking into it as a "hate-motivated incident"

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i wonder if skippy will start talking about replacing our monopoly money with crypto again

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Mea culpa. I thought there'd be a bailout for businesses with the CEBA loan but they didn't do it, now everyone gets to refinance.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Arivia posted:

it's honestly kind of shocking, both personally it makes a lot of sense a lot of restaurants and the like aren't unfucked yet

and also cynically, the government telling small business owners to go gently caress themselves is something i've never seen before in my lifetime

It's going to cost them votes, but I don't know how much versus general outrage of a potential bail out while telling the rest of us to go pound sand.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
l*xury c*ndos are just building coded apartments.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Glimpse posted:

Happy to be wrong.

It used to be the case that you couldn't get an abortion in PEI but they opened a clinic in the last 10 years or so. Before that you had to go to Nova Scotia.

As for ford and culture war stuff, he'll do whatever he thinks is popular. in the US a lot of this stuff ends up being electoral poison in the long run, but you can never predict if someone figures out the right mix of cruelty and think-of-the-children to turn into a policy people will vote for.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

infernal machines posted:

There's something amusing about the caucus being so mercenary and power hungry that the party fears enough of them will jump ship midterm that it'll cause a problem.

Nice party you've got there.

Honestly it reminds me a bit of OLP people jumping ship during Wynne's tenure as premier as Trudeau's campaign was kicking off.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The immediate pushback for that, uh protest adjacent to Mount Sinai i guess? at all levels of government compared to the gentle treatment of anti-lockdown people interfering with hospital traffic is quite a thing to notice.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 15, 2024

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Precambrian Video Games posted:

PP also has important opinions to share on washroom usage:

Nervous lol to anyone who believed he'd steer clear of imported transphobic culture war bullshit and focus on kitchen table issues.

I think it always came down to whether or not conservatives could figure out how to zero in on a way to frame trans issues that wasn't electoral poison. The Republicans are finding out how terrible their moral panic is at the ballot box (although still doing plenty of damage in the process) and it remains to be seen if it really works here.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DynamicSloth posted:

It was always the NDP negotiating strategy to seek a limited number of medications as long as they were covered on a truly universal basis. Two kinds of pretty important medication, is definitely half a loaf but the Liberals at least aren't going to rip insulin or contraception away from people if the program gets up and running. The Liberal pharma care "pilot" is less than nothing, most people would not notice if it was instituted nationally, which pointedly they have not done, they just need something to run on that doesn't make the lobbyists mad.

I am glad insulin is covered. It's ridiculous that it isn't completely covered and my heart still breaks for all the Americans who bought insulin from Canada when I worked for a pharmacy. Not that they'd be covered obviously just, the difference between the two countries for diabetics is really jarring.

The discussion about vision care (my eyes also suck rear end) is good reminder that our understanding of healthcare has certainly evolved since UHC was introduced. I don't think anyone would have thought of dental as critical to someone's well being as it is now. Could be wrong on that though.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 13, 2024

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The Belanger interference made me look back at Meads as he got called out there too. I forgot about this though:

quote:

The exotic nature of the Moorish Law movement and its claims warrant some comment, as casual exposure to a Moorish Law litigant may lead an observer to suspect mental impairment or disorder.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It was a challenge to put a cost on water/air pollution, and those had very immediate, visible consequences to people's quality of life. It's really hard to get capitalism to put price on externalities in general because I don't think most corporations would be viable if they were responsible for all the waste they produced.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Kraftwerk posted:

I’ve basically driven cars like the Civic/Camry my entire life. Never cared for trucks and SUVs. Don’t need them.

My old camry lasted 20 years before it got too expensive to be worth repairing. Sold it to a buddy who fixes up cars so he was able to do it for a lot cheaper and it's still going strong.

Bleck posted:

we're literally watching the planet die to satisfy the greed of oil/gas companies and people are shocked that they'd pass on costs to consumers

Every time governments have had to step in and put a price on an externality that the "market" doesn't account for there's been a massive backlash. Until the fundamentals of our economic system radically change it's always going to be like this unfortunately.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 20, 2024

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
There's so much demand and so little supply it's hard to even get a non-plug in hybrid.

Subsidies definitely work: heat pumps have become a huge success and have become increasingly popular in Canada, even though they struggle at low temperatures.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I suspect the OPP investigating his police force more than anything has convinced him to walk back what he said.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I hope Helsing is okay.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

ZShakespeare posted:

If you truly believe that women’s lives hinge on casting a vote once every four years for either 99% hitler or turbohitler, then there is genuinely no hope. I am not one of these people, however, and I believe that voting is, by far, the least impactful thing you can do to affect political change. Right behind posting about it on dead comedy forums.

It's a bit of a sham in the US since presidential candidates campaign on domestic politics but have relatively little impact on them, hardly talk about foreign policy at all but hold tremendous influence there.

Regardless Joe Biden isn't going to protect abortion rights in the US anymore than a US president is going to try to get a federal ban passed.

In Canada the PM and Parliament have more of a direct impact on both but considering how unpopular abortion restrictions are in Canada it'd be a wild time if they tried to pass something like that here.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Isentropy posted:

Depends on the province. NB would love to do this; NS kind of wants to

Yeah I mean the provinces can always just do what PEI did which got around the Canada Health Act for a long time.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think there's some value in kids going to daycare as a way to socialize. But right now you're either stuck having to do it because you can't afford to stay home, or the perverse incentive where if I worked I'd be handing over my entire paycheque so my kid could go to daycare.

I think the goal of a more equitable society - or whatever you want to call it - is to give families choices. Ontario at least has the EarlyON program which, honestly, I'm not sure how it hasn't been defunded yet, but that's a playgroup, not daycare.

A parental leave program for both parents after they have a child would probably be another good step. It'd put a dent in post-partum depression rates, from what I understand of recent research on the subject.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

ZShakespeare posted:

Ladies, Gentlemen, and Enbys. I Present to a new chapter in the book of terror. The Megaguillotine.

Only available at Choppers Drug Mart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
There's Farm Boy here and there but they're owned by Sobeys