Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Margaret "Im no racist but..." Wente?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

infernal machines posted:

Didn't NatPo drop Wente a while ago? Who would pick her up? Quillette or maybe Rebel Media?

Given their track record lately, CBC.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Well, hopefully no one goes to the drat things and they bomb out. gently caress supporting that poo poo.

The most likely route this goes is the owner will sit on it and look for resources while eating the loss then sell it off to a logging/mining/oil company. Or build a bunch of "cottages" in a private little gated community for wealthy suburban idiots.

Both have happened in Ontario. :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Its kind of amazing how the shift from Scheer to O'Toole was, at best, a lateral move for the CPC. Sideshow Bob stepping on rakes, forever.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

I know it's dumb to get mad over a news chyron but CTV ran one about the London attack saying that Muslims struggle to understand the hate they receive. I've never much cared for the way our media likes to infantilize victims of hate crimes and it speaks more to mainstream arrogance that we consider them ignorant as to why they're they're targets of hatred when the answer is obvious. The media is unwilling to actually state it on air that hatred is the product systemic racism and we project it onto minorities because we suck. That's not a concept that goes over the heads of victims, they're not stupid.

Well a big part of the problem is that the Canadian media by and large was complicit (or in some cases actively involved) in demonizing Muslims and racism in this country in general. Going about it this way allows them to dodge admitting this fact. :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

:siren: Finally got my first 5G nanobot injection despite working in a loving pharmacy (thanks Ford you incompetent dingus).

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jenica Atwin apparently crossing the aisle and ditching the Greens for the Liberal Party. I'm guessing that Annamie Paul's chief staffer hasn't been winning many friends in the party when he started harassing the other sitting MPs and accusing them of being antisemitic for not endorsing Israelis murdering civilians in Gaza.

This will forever confuse me. Dont the majority of Canadians support Palestine and disagree with the Israeli governments constant forays into civilian murder? Why is every one of our federal parties still running in the opposite direction?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EngineerJoe posted:

You should care about him because he's giving out advice on your local news channel and your family and friends might listen to him.

A great start to my Monday at work so far. Pharmacy phone is ringing off the hook with confused or angry people that caught the news this morning and I want to die.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

So I spent my entire day doing damage control because our media will give any chucklefuck air time to preach dumb bullshit and drive people into a frenzy.

And then I get even more mad at the complete lack of presence from the OPC and the soggy bloated bagel we elected premier because no one at any level knows what the gently caress is going on and cant be assed to try and put any kind of message out there other than "Its Trudeau's fault!"

Oh and the hundreds of vaccine shoppers from as far away as the GTA looking to get their second dose sooner because they are all suddenly able to travel.

Im just so tired.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

It works on a rotation.

Ontario -> Alberta -> Manitoba -> repeat from start

Occasionally Saskatchewan reminds us they exist by doing something truly awful or dumb but then fade back into the bushes like Homer.

Also holy poo poo if I hear one more person cry that I cant bump their vaccine shot up before a bunch of our first shot patients because they have a trip coming up Im going to just walk across the street to the LCBO and finish the rest of my shift crying into a bottle of whisky.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Does BC even have any active volcanoes? I feel like mentioning Pompeii might be tempting fate if they do given how the last 18 months have gone out there. :ohdear:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Well, on the bright side that leaves out freezing to death or tornadoes. :v:

Now Im curious, how well funded is BCs emergency system for natural disasters? I cant imagine the BC Libs invested much, have the NDP spent anything on it?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

The guy who just yesterday said “we were very clear that it’s hot! Not our problem if people die?”

Yeah I’m sure he did a great job.

Oh god I missed that. What the gently caress is wrong with that man? Is he sabotaging the BCNDP on purpose or just unbelievably boomer?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

apatheticman posted:

What's the over-under on a "stop the steal" push coming here?

Its already here, at least at the provincial level.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Has anyone ever written a book on how SK/MB went from being the birth place of the NDP to being staunch Conservative hellholes? Northern Ontario kind of fits into this lately too.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

apatheticman posted:

Turns out people like well-funded mass transit systems. Who would have thought?

Oh the entirety of europe? Ok then.

Europe? Whats that? We can only be marginally better than the USA at things.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tornado hit Barrie 30 seconds down the road from where I work holy poo poo. We were rushed into the giant fridges in the building for protection like some stupid movie plot.

Jesus christ.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Walked into city hall today, asked if I could get a shot, got a shot and now I'm doing the 15 minute shuffle.

So that's Pfizer for 1 and Moderna for 2.

Enjoy your covid protection, 5G nanobots and extra limbs!

Also thank you for not vaccine shopping. I had some fuckshit rear end in a top hat swearing and threatening me yesterday at work because we ran out of Pfizer and could only give him Moderna. He let slip he was a realtor and was whining that he couldnt see clients blah blah and now I hate realtors even more than before, something I didnt know was possible.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

supersnowman posted:

I've seen a case where people had vacation planned which they had to change destination because the country did not recognize mix as a valid immunization but that issue sill surely resolve itself in time where countries will start accepting it.

God forbid people look into this poo poo before planning vacations out of the country. Its not my job to hold onto vaccines just in case Wealthy Boomer #47574 booked a non-refundable flight to some country offering cruises.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's honestly amazing how one little change can improve your whole day. Gyms are now open again in Ontario so I went this morning so I could start up my routine again. I did a fairly light set just to ease back into it but it felt so good to get up and go in the morning again.

It doesn't help me forget how hosed our country is or how I'll never be able to afford a home before the environment collapse kills us, but I'm also not stewing over it in my room because I have nowhere to go. It's good for my health both mental and physical and I really, really hope we don't get hosed by a fourth wave caused by hesitancy to get the shot.

Its not exactly hesitancy to get the shot, its hesitancy to get a specific shot. Ontario at least did really well for first shot compliance but second shot seems to be lagging. I cannot stress enough how much of my day is spent answering the phone for people shopping around looking specifically for Pfizer only. Our fully vaccinated population could hit a wall at the current pace and that just makes me angry. Doubly so when I see how eager young people are to get whatever is available despite constantly shouldering the blame by politicians and the media for the slowing vaccination rates and spread of the virus.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Fidelitious posted:

I'm so confused as to how this happened. There seems to be a fairly widespread view that Moderna is somehow inferior to Pfizer and it's like it just bubbled up out of nowhere. They're pretty much identical in terms of technology, efficacy, and side effects so what the hell happened? Hell, Moderna could be considered better from a logistics view because it doesn't require as cold temperatures for storage.

Are you allowed to ask why they're looking specifically for Pfizer, and if so what do they usually say?
I wonder if anyone's done a survey to dig into what's driving this.

The two biggest reasons seem to be people thinking there has been no testing on mixing them and that Moderna side effects are way worse. The biggest reason I hear from the under-40 crowd is fear that it will affect fertility.

So its literally Facebook brain poisoning.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Capital Letdown posted:

4) not well!! Money wise, most people are on OW / ODSP. I have ways to get people on to OW very fast. That Keeping Six group I mentioned in another post runs a clinic every month that gets people from OW to ODSP - doctors and lawyers and advocates basically go through the whole application step by step in one day, instead of having to play tag with your doctor. In my main post I talked about how its impossible to afford a place, so people will use that for their own ends. People make up the rest from panhandling, scrapping, sex work, etc. Advocate groups drop off food and water semi-regularly. There are spots downtown to get meals - Wesley Day Centre on Catherine st does coffee, breakfast and lunch every day. St Patrick's on Victoria does lunch every day. Good Shepherd does dinner at like 5. There are ways to get food if you know about them and aren't picky about dietary needs, but by no means am I trying to suggest it's as secure as being able to make your own food.

5) It's high. Fentanyl / Down / Opiates are probably the most common addiction I see. Alcohol is common. Meth less so. Crack lesser than that. Anxiety/Depression is rampant obviously, more severe diagnoses like say BPD or Schizophrenia are not uncommon, but I'm not necessarily on the medical side so I wouldn't know peoples diagnoses (if they have them!).

From someone that worked in a pharmacy for a bit near a location like the ones you work at, you are doing more good than you realize. The ludicrous barriers put in place over the years to prevent people from getting on proper OW/ODSP coverage has always been one of my biggest beefs because something as simple as diabetes or depression can quickly compound the daily problems they face. That isnt even factoring in the many methadone programs that have started up in recent years thanks to the opioid crisis. Access to basic medicine is a big deal, even though most people in Ontario seem to still take it for granted.

For those unaware, one of the first things Ford did when he took power was move the majority of support program applications online when before you used to be able to get the paperwork at any pharmacy. Obviously easy access to the internet is something that the vast majority of homeless people will not have access to. It was such a low key scummy move that almost no noticed since so few people ever needed to even think about using it at the time. There have been other things like slowly reducing funding for long term care beds and district health units which also were a part of the support network too, but the one I had the most experience with was the drug programs.

Basically I hope you know that there are a lot of people that appreciate what you do, even if we arent the most vocal or visible ones around.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

infernal machines posted:

Fourth wave voting, here we come!

If I have to choose between getting covid or getting conservatives Im taking covid every time.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tochiazuma posted:

Blood? I thought he was a giant bag of spoiled milk in human form

That was Scheer. O'Toole is more of a living suit that consumed a human but accidentally stopped half way though the process.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arivia posted:

The stir dipstick.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

We're so, so hosed.

I may frequently disagree with your politics but please stay safe. Your premier is literally trying to kill you. :ohdear:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

nah that's just pugs and some frenchies, and dog people hate them too

I dont want to continue the derail but you really should go look up some of the documentaries that have come out in the last 5-10 years that go in depth on how much humans have hosed up our domesticated animals to suffer from genetic defects and reduced quality of life. BBC had a good one on dogs a few years back that was good enough even if it had some very obvious bits of misinformation (I think it was either Dogs that Changed the World or Pedigree Dogs Exposed).

Im pretty sure when the Liberals updated the animal cruelty laws in 2018/19 they also added a bunch of stuff regarding breeders for this reason.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Alctel posted:

It's not even comparable

Outdoor cats are complete ruthless murder machines and should be banned in all municipalities tbh

I think the average outdoor cat kills on average 10 small animals/birds a day or something ridiculous

Its not quite that bad but they do have a noticeable impact on local wildlife as their numbers increase. Since vets charge several months pay to fix a pet these days the real problem is that many cities are now seeing colonies popping up when people inevitably toss their pets out the door when they no longer want or can afford them. Some places are even seeing stray dog populations increase.

I did get a good chuckle out of Calgary of all places being the only smart city in the country when they invested in spaying/neutering their feral cat populations. Ottawa has kinda sorta started this process too but I never heard anything past them doing that one giant colony in the park near the Rideau Canal.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

e: ^^^ dogs definitely engage in surplus hunting (I think that is the scientific term? someone smarter than me can correct this) though its not quite as bad as cats. Its why cities take wild dog populations seriously.

Frank Dillinger posted:

Just cull them, like any other animal overpopulation/nuisance animal. I genuinely don’t get how throwing money at catching/spaying/releasing animals makes any real sense. Put them down, humanely, and be done with it.

Cities with bad enough problems do exactly that. I guess Calgary didnt have a large problem and wanted to go for the optics route instead? :shrug:

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 1, 2021

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Powershift posted:

Does Surrey still have that peacock problem?

Maybe they could use the cats.

Ah the trusted "Old lady who swallowed a fly" approach to pest control.

Where do politicians fit on that food chain? :v:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

I hope he gets covid, healthy young 58 year old that he is.

People like him are the embodiment of "Do as I say not as I do". I bet he is fully vaccinated and this is just a show for his insane base.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Nice to see Horwath getting an early start on throwing the next election away instead of doing it immediately after forcing an election.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kenney's super secret plan to keep the doctors and nurses and teachers from fleeing the province is to deny them the ability to prove they are safe to leave.

e: lovely snipe. How about some local news: Barrie now has the second highest rent in Canada, the fastest rising housing prices, and no loving way to afford either if you work here and not down in the GTA.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Sashimi posted:

The lawn signs are already out in force in my neighbourhood, and so far it's 100% Conservative.

Someone else that has to suffer living in Barrie I see.

Im hoping this year the north riding where I live flips. It was double digits close last election and the dillweed the PCs have here has only gotten less popular. On the other hand I have also seen a ton of new people from Toronto moving in to this end of town and they arent the nice happy young families I was promised, its almost entirely NIMBY white flight gen x/boomers. :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I cant decide if this is terrifying or hilarious.

Semi related but a few days back someone asked if Mad Max was going to run again. Today my dad had a message left on his phone from the PPC that Bernier will be doing one of his first campaign stops here.

Hopefully he gets mocked just as much as he was last time he showed up for his anti-mask rally.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

I knew a ton of people that moved from Manitoba to Alberta from like 2008-2012 that praised the flat tax and had to come crawling back as soon as oil crashed in 2014/2015.

It was real, real hard not to be a smug rear end in a top hat about it. At least in my case. The 2 guys I knew that went out to work the rigs blew every single penny earned out there on coke and hookers and pickup truck accessories.

Election related it appears both Barrie incumbents (CPC lackeys) are running again. In my riding, Barrie-Springwater-Oro, the NDP/Lib/Greens have yet to nominate candidates (which is weird given how close the race was last election). For Barrie-Innisfil it looks different though. NDP have a BLM organizer and climate activist as their candidate. Liberals went back to their previous candidate, a school board trustee. That riding is so unbelievably conservative though so I dont expect much. Basically

flakeloaf posted:

Sounds a lot like Barrie, ON

is very representative of Barrie south. The north has a much larger minority and immigrant population, as well as having the majority of the younger voting group thanks to the college. The Liberals could easily challenge it and the NDP could surprise people if they can find the right candidate. Im actually slightly optimistic right now.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

If there is any premier that can gently caress up vaccination cards its Kenney. I can see him sourcing it out to one of his donators/buddies and it end up being riddled with malware and data breaches.

e: vvv Oh god you just made me think of the worst possible way he could do it. Hand it off to some subscription based company that would require people to have a subscription to access it.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 24, 2021

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Muscle Tracer posted:

tbqf i'd be more interested in helping 41 year olds buy their first house than a 25 year old or whatever

Look buddy our time has passed and we are ready to be put out to pasture. :smith:

e: I saw Jagmeet talking about nationalizing senior care homes. Unfortunately it was being criticized by a panel of CBC conservatives so I doubt it got any positive coverage anywhere despite it being absolutely necessary.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

berenzen posted:

Would you prefer a small oligarchy of big businesses instead?

As much as it would be nice to have the all companies in Canada be nothing but co-ops, that isn't going to happen, so the choices are support small local businesses trying to cut their niche in a marketplace that is getting increasingly crowded out by multinational conglomerates, or saying gently caress it go go full capitalist hellscape.

Small business associations are currently heading the "Roll back min wage" movement while they are constantly handed some of the largest tax breaks of any group in the country right now while I am forced to work 2 jobs just to not be homeless so you will maybe forgive me when I say let them all go broke nothing of value is lost.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

RBC posted:

I really enjoyed them seeing them begging for their welfare cheques during the pandemic tbh

Not just begging, demanding. While simultaneously fighting against CERB.

Big businesses are just as bad but they at least knew to not make their wishes public (except for the Westons, and at this point they should have every penny taxed and given to the tens of thousands of workers they exploited during covid).

e: Oh god I just scrolled past the Alberta covid numbers post. Approaching Florida levels of spread. :stare:

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

iv46vi posted:

Here’s something I can’t figure out: Are the people forcing Trudeau campaign events to be cancelled in different places organize and travel around to follow him or are there really that much hatred for the libs all around Ontario.

A lot of the areas outside the GTA are very conservative so its not that surprising.

But I also wouldnt be surprised at all if we later find out they are being paid by the CPC to follow him around and heckle.