Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I just did a survey on the government's plan on the Sask river delta area. Sounds like someone wants to try and justify some "economic development" by destroying another vital habitat. Also very surprised to get this considering I've never been in Sask and am currently in Montreal, it explained the survey was taking responses from across the country.

The only options are the status quo (where it just explained earlier in the survey that the amount of wildlife is significantly below where it used to be), or option A which kills loving everything for money.

And here's what's in it for you! 170 smackaroos! We'll definitely pay you that, we swear
Also lol that 100% fish is just the conservation target. There was no option for over 100% in exceeding that target.

This is the "you see this is all bullshit, right?" question

And this is the worst question, you're forced to choose between Project C or Project D, both of which lust for duck death. Whatever context your vote had here, it'll be read as an endorsement!

Pretty sure some of the questions here will be interpreted as excused to invalidate my response, because I "Didn't consider alternative A", or maybe because I suppose conservation in general, so maybe we conserve "other places" and not this vital area, ecosystems are all separate things after all.

Questions with double negatives, after a bunch of affirmative questions

Kinda leaning hard on the "What's the purpose of an animal you don't see?" aspect there

Never seen a poll ask me "did you believe this to be a push-poll" question before, that was interesting

Guys! COSTS :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Holy poo poo that's a powerful image

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Speed limit signs being just black and white in N. America is pretty bullshit though. Red circle supremacy!

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Man I missed out on all the cool side effects

My first shot felt like a placebo, my second shot I felt a bit crappy and low energy that night, and was fine the next morning. Double Moderna.

Fully expecting my wife to get utterly waylaid however, her first shot made her feverish the rest of the day. We intentionally booked our shots on different days to make sure at least one of us would be healthy and able to offer aide to the suffering partner.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
He deleted it, what was it?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Pleads posted:

It's very fitting for Canada that our upcoming Jan 6th-copycat violent mob attacks will be fostered by those in charge doing literally nothing at all to prevent it when they could have stopped it easily, early.

Funny you should call it a copycat

https://twitter.com/WhiteHatNZ/status/1488059301940064256

Everyone's getting in on the stupid action.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
The idea is that they'll lose their white western privilege in a one world government, and to them equality feels like oppression.

Those Africans are meant to be poor and starving. If they get something, it has to mean I lose something!

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

You can click somewhere and it'll give a breakdown of the steps. Any transit time estimates are from the moment you google. So if the next tram/bus/train is in one minute, the time is x+1, if it's in 15 minutes the time is x+15. It's not an average wait time, it's your wait time if you're leaving right now.

It also takes into account the time it takes to walk to the station, and then from the station to your destination.

With car directions, it assumes you're in the car right now and ready to go. It also assumes you can park right outside your destination.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

EvilJoven posted:

They don't want to help they want to win the next election and make their donors money. Corporations are bringing in record profits despite our society falling apart due to this disease and general socioeconomic strife.

because of, not despite.

Supply crunches have resulted in record profits. Power companies are learning they make more money by not providing electricity. Same is across many industries. Everyone discovered the dark secret of our efficient economic system.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Baronjutter posted:

I've found the reverse is true, we're in a golden age of local media and general discussion "thanks" to social media. I've never felt more informed and connected to local elections. You can get a good feel for a candidate based on their twitter.

But for a lot of that, you have to actively seek it out.

In the days of broadcast TV and a small number of channels, society was kind of force-fed information. If you had the news running while having dinner, you heard about things you both did and didn't care about.

Now, it's all self curated, and if you don't take an initial interest in something, why would you ever seek it out? Or even discover that it's a thing that exists?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

folytopo posted:

Without careful intervention UBI might just be a subsidy for small landlords and others who provide services to the poor.

This is probably why the landlord guy is touting it.

UBI without rent control is just an immediate rent hike of 100% of that UBI money. Then everyone is right back where they started and needing exploitative jobs too buy food. But the landlords make bank.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

infernal machines posted:

we call those startups, and even then they generally offer equity in lieu of pay.

The employer I was the most personally invested in was the one that I also had equity in. Surprise!

This actually should become more mainstream across all industries, not just because it's owning the means of production, but it also makes for employees who are quite engaged in making something successful.

The regulatory overhead for this is quite steep though, which generally restricts it only to larger corps who only offer it to senior management. A govt department that manages and streamlines the process for smaller businesses (and ensures that people aren't screwed out of their share) could probably work?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Whiskey_Dick posted:

I don't think he's a genius at all, I just don't think he's an idiot.

I think a lot of dangerous and capable assholes have risen to power because (at least in part) people have written them off as stupid.

As if being stupid is a detriment to getting power. It may even help. Humans are suckers for unwavering confidence.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

infernal machines posted:

Good point Danielle, that's an excellent reason to leave confederation.

Alberta Sovereignty: The Final Straw

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
The immigrant gets the thread title, that's the real Canadian dream right there

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Kraftwerk posted:

I just wanted to give a quick (but boring) update that probably slipped under the radar.
I recently attended an industry specific seminar with Environment Canada and it appears that the federal government is officially adopting the regulations from California's Prop 65.

Wait that prop actually does something? I thought it just mandated that every single item you purchase comes with a sticker saying "Some part of this product causes cancer in California only"

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Testikles posted:

Speaking for the airline industry, they lost a lot of experienced people during the pandemic. You had Ops and Crews with a few years under their belt let go, and a lot of them retrained and a lot of them retired. So you lost a lot of soft capacity, people who knew the slight nuances of the industry and could spot problems before they became problems. The airlines figured everybody would just sit waiting to come back like a lovely boyfriend who didn't think their ex would move on

I was led to believe staff are an interchangable resource, a fungible comodity. Was this wrong??

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

PT6A posted:

How many car-free folks do you suppose are so car-free that they don't, you know, outsource car ownership and driving to SkipTheDishes and Uber and things like that? I'm honestly curious how many people life a lifestyle that's not only car-free for them, but does not involve private motor-vehicle use at all.

When I was living in the Plateau or Downtown Montreal, I never used food delivery. Why would I pay the uber eats premium when all the food I want is less than 10 minutes walk away?

I very much lived car free for a while, ama.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Powershift posted:

Do you live car free now, and if not why not.

I don't, sadly. Got married and the wife is still very much a "car first" thinker, and I failed to convince her otherwise. I still live a 5 minute walk away from a supermarket, but we only treat it like a well stocked corner store. The majority of our shopping is at a Costco and an asian supermarket that are only drivable.

Plus it's a multi-generational house now, there's not exactly a lot of apartments or townhouses that can accomodate that. We're still in NDG, so it's not like we're in distant suburbia, the place definitely feels like it used to be a streetcar suburb at some point?

I miss the metro.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Immigration sources would also greatly impact changing religious demographics I'd assume.

Quebec gets a wider share from North Africa and the Carribean for French reasons, and I'm going to guess a few of those people might be a bit religious.

Meanwhile over in BC, there's a greater proportion of Chinese migrants who are fairly non-religious. I'm curious how much that skews the "non-religious" stats between the provinces cited earlier.

In a lot of western countries, the "fastest growing" religions are often Hinduism or Islam, specifically because of migration to an otherwise religiously disinterested local population. That was the case in NZ at least.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Fornax Disaster posted:

The US and Canada have cooperated on the defence of the north since the fifties. Presumably the actual shoot down was done by an American aircraft because they have a base in Alaska that was closer than ours in Cold Lake.

There could be a capability issue there too, these balloons are at a very, very high altitude. Reaching them is tricky

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Well that 45.5 hour power cut sure was fun. Has anyone considered not stringing them through trees?

NZ buried all their lines and they don't even get freezing rain 3-4 times a year!

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Vintersorg posted:

I love right wing shitheads losing their minds over anything Trudeau so much as is near by. I am eager to see what these people do with their lives once Trudeau eventually loses.

If NZ and Jacinda Ardern is anything to go by, no, it'll just carry on.

She was a power hungry, mad tyrant bent on total domination of every aspect of people's lives (because lockdowns). And yet that power hungry mad tyrant just... resigned one day.

But she's still a mad tyrant, honest.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

The local NDP candidate for the Westmount-NDG by-election setting up a campaign office in a defunct lingerie store amuses me because I am 5.

NDP: Embrace your curves

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

:denmark:

NZAmoeba fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 1, 2023

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I (well actually, the wife, who works at the bank) fixed our mortgage for 5 years at 1.69%

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Vasler posted:

I fail to understand how voting for the cons will lead to anything aside from more rapid dismantling of every social system we have. You've made it clear that your issue is housing and that the NDP is for whatever reason not tenable for you.

But somehow the cons, that present no coherent policy on anything, is better than either the libs or NDP?

I almost can't believe I have to type this out, but if you think a con minister is somehow going to be more effective than a lib minister at doing anything (except dismantling social structures/shutting down programs/selling off assets), well, you ought to brush up on history, perhaps what happened under the last streak of con governments or the one just before that one).

I can't believe I'm defending the libs.

Did I miss the post where PT6A is saying he's voting Conservative?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

EngineerJoe posted:

This week, the convoy set-up a rural base camp near Casselman, 40 minutes outside Ottawa. A livestream to announce the opening of the camp was interrupted by a rival convoy group, leading to an incident that saw a man thrown from the hood of a moving car while attempting to punch in its windshield.

An incredible paragraph

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Calumanjaro posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/environment-comissioner-audit-emissions-charging-stations-1.7020689

Canada set to miss emission reduction targets. I'm sure it will get better under our imminent conservative majority.

I strongly believe that the Liberal government's abject failure to align their actions with their rhetoric has caused their collapse in support. Trudeau says he is committed to climate action and improving housing affordability, but they achieve no actual material results. Now, we understand that this is because they don't actually care about these issues. However, the Canadian public seems to view it as gross incompetence, rather than indifference, leading to their electoral collapse.

No it's ok, they saw a presentation about how if they grow the economy enough, we'll unlock clean energy in the tech tree and solve our problems.

That's why they're building pipelines, to solve the climate crisis.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Newfie posted:

It also comes up in times of extreme financial distress. Meads itself is a family law case that arises after the GFC. Parties find themselves unable to afford support obligations, let alone lawyers, and they become so desperate they'll cling to anything that might give them any chance or any arguement other than "but your honor should I really have to pay for my kids?" It's just depressing that the failure of the legal system to provide counsel for anything but the poorest folks leads to these people being preyed upon by these con artists.

Yeah, they can't afford legal representation, so they turn to the Honorable Google, Esq. for legal advice, and that can rapidly send them down a rabbit hole because it promises a literal Get Out Of Jail Free card.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Poldarn posted:

I don't think you should be allowed to deport Permanent Residents. Isn't that the whole point of PR?

It's more like Permanent* Residency, because it's also "use it or lose it", you need to be in Canada for 3 out of 5 years to keep it, so if you decide to leave, it can't be very long term.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Fart Amplifier posted:

https://twitter.com/ABDanielleSmith/status/1752814944716734935

Puberty blockers and hormone therapy to be banned for minors 15 and under.

Parental consent required for name changes for 15 and under and notification required for name change for 16 and 17 year olds

I'm looking for some good articles/testimonials/videos about the experiences of trans youth, and the importance of early intervention, compared to delaying until adulthood.

There's an argument that fundamentally rests on "but kids are dumb and don't know what they want, just wait until they're adults before making such an important decision" that I don't have the knowledge/experience/eloquence to push back on, beyond "puberty doesn't nicely line up with the drinking age"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
The company I work at sells software that uses statistical analysis to predict optimal future outcomes.

The moment AI became a buzzword, all that statistical analysis suddenly became "AI"