Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I sometimes laugh when I remember discussing jobs with my parents because for so long they assumed the world was still like it was when they were my age in the late 70s/80s, where you could more or less turn up to a business with no qualifications and ask for a job and if they liked the look of you a good portion of the time they'd give you a shot. I still cringe remembering when they insisted I march around Newcastle as a 17 year old in the late 2000s with a stack of CVs handing them in to a bunch of very bemused people in their 20s/30s who clearly knew they were going straight in the bin, because obviously. I'm just glad they've seen the error of their ways and mellowed out a bit on the 'lazy millenials!!! :bahgawd:' poo poo now they're a bit older, but I guess having a kid with a PhD who can't find a job would probably do that. I for one love hearing about how I'd apparently have been able to walk into pretty much any uni and get a decent-paying position of some kind back in their day, it really does make me feel much better.

e: My partner's dad is an engineer and has told me at length about how his skills were in such demand when he entered the job market he was able to go back and forth between prospective employers and essentially make them bid on him, so he started off on an absurdly good salary. He's significantly more wealthy than my own parents and still pulls a lot of completely out of touch bullshit and I wonder how connected these things are.

They're old and watch the news and live in a nostalgia bubble and don't comprehend the environment unique to even their own under-40s children who still haven't been able to afford their own house yet. This is 100% everywhere.

Regaling me stories of losing a job and walking down the street to start a new one in less than an hour doesn't help when you know for a fact I waited weeks for an interview, waited weeks for a reply, waited weeks for a start date, then waited weeks to actually reach that date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
lol bollocks that half of 30-34s already got one in that brief window. Mine still isn't scheduled for two weeks.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
To be fair I'm also going to for the place I know supports Pfizer and not some pre-victorian 2 bedroom house looking "clinic" in a village that couldn't fit a fridge through the door.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I've developed a hobby of reporting blatant racists and take pleasure in watching their accounts get suspended. Inconveniencing arseholes is so much fun.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Covid data site updating very late today.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I developed a bunch of warts on my fingers and thumbs for a while and it was very grim and freezing didn't do much and trimming/cutting them out was unsuccessful and bloody. We happened to move house and between the new sea air, new tapwater, and a weird sensation whenever I touched metal in the shower that had every wart site get a very sharp chemical nervous feeling, they all disappeared within months.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Apparently it started 20 minutes ago and the set, visual, and sound quality are supposedly poo poo but nobody is actually watching or shared how it looks and I'm not changing the channel myself.

e: Saw some caps, it's a tiny set and a tiny desk and there's no lighting. The walls might be curtains.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 13, 2021

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
There was talk of the vaccine clearing up existing long covid symptoms, in addition to other infections and a user here's dad's verrucas to the point that their GP wants him as a case study.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'm getting my first (probable) Pfizer tomorrow and won't be getting the second until 31st August so aaaaaaa.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I don't doubt long covid, but I also think it is just post-viral fatigue. While this sounds suspect, my family caught a vold/flu virus in February last year, and while we didn't/couldn't get tested, the symptoms were extremely not-covid, but I was still hosed up with weird lingering effects of it all through to September, exacerbated by a one-two punch of the most severe hayfever I ever had.

So yeah, I think it's a very real thing, but I don't think it's a covid exclusive thing.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Like, understand, I've made a hobby of reporting Twitter racists. The sheer ingrained prolificness of Diane Abbot mockery is insane. It's not like cutting a cerberus head, it's like mowing a 20 acre lawn.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I want England to lose because I enjoy heartbroken football fans but if England win I want them to immediately and continuously take the knee again for as long as possible so that every second and every photograph of the historic win is inseparable from the message. Straight up lifting the cup on their knees.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
If you're on Twitter and wondering why #craftywank is trending

https://twitter.com/hepcatsector/status/1414585065066139652

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
There's a big scary spike in cases and it's worth reminding everyone that it's because of the finals and not necessarily a trend.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

I mean they actually just numerically recreated the Christmas spike.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

In positive news the trousers I asked about turned up and oh my god they are amazing like 90% pockets. I can put so much crap in them.

I thought the aim of the game was to not poo poo your pants though.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
But also the double vaxx'd people you're hearing about are either politicians or actors or famous for reasons involving travelling internationally, meeting people, and doing group activities, so they were always going to be taking more chances per day than your average person.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I don't want to sound hopeful, but after the giant surge of cases the last week that I suggested was due to Euro finals related mass infections, today cases dropped to what they were pre-incubation-via-Sunday's-gatherings so we might not actually be getting 50k+ a day just yet.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Gort posted:

We had 54,349 new infections two days ago.

That's my point, today there's 15k less. I'm saying the finals were a Christmas like event. A spike, which doesn't help, but not the trend.

I'm saying the 7 day moving average might return to it's slow increase after the vertical line cause by last week. I'm sure today will gently caress it up but I feel weirdly less doomed.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 19, 2021

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

Theres always a reporting lag after the weekend.

That's the deaths tho.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Gort posted:

They were specifically arguing that the infection numbers were going to decrease along with the other "why worry" arguments

I remember this conversation and my point like theirs isn't "they're decreasing" but "they're increasing at a slower rate." The finals induced a vertical increase which I too thought would be a trend but it looks like it's trying to revert to its original slow increase. Today probably fucks it and we'll never know but v:shobon:v let me see escape routes.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'm also going to assume that given that everyone under 40 has to have a Pfizer or Moderna, and that those two are available in limited quantities, and that both appointments are booked in advance, I'm presuming that guaranteeing second doses are taking precedent over first doses, because I had to wait weeks for my first appointment theoretically being able to book. In fact moving my second appointment sooner was way easier than getting the first.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

learnincurve posted:

There was also the big spike after the euros because the gammons are morons.

Someone in this thread kept arguing with me when I was saying there was actually a slower rate of increase happening and that the Euro spike might not be an actual trend but I kept getting poopooed for expressing slight hopefulness :(

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

a futile attempt to pretend that deep down they aren't terrified of being faced with their own mortality in a cruel and random universe.

Also it's all this. "It's not real, if it is it's not that bad, if it is it's only the old and dying, if it isn't it's because my natural godgiven antibodies are superior along with my supply of zinc, also I'm scared of needles and will contrive a convoluted conspiracy to justify not getting a vaccine because saying I'm scared of needles isn't butch and the lads will call me gay."

OwlFancier posted:

the capacity for doubt and insecurity is something a lot of people just don't have

But also this.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

I am getting really tired of my router resetting every time it starts raining

is it likely to be an issue on my end or should I ring up BT and bitch at them until they fix it

We had some minor router trouble lately and had a man come in and while he was here I asked him about this weird phenomenon: At 2:30am (and 20 seconds-ish) every night precisely, for approx 20 seconds plus or minus 10, the internet will hang, and then resume. We have a Sky minibox network in the house and this also interrupts the TV signal despite them technically running on seperate networks. It's always 2:30am, regardless of daylight savings or not. There is nothing scheduled in the router itself.

He reckoned that a neighbour probably has a device set on a timer to come on/off at that time, and it just happens to interfere with everything, and that he'd seen cases of someone's jukebox loving with internet for several houses down.

So yeah it could be anything so everything is worth checking.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Guys how do I watch Time Team on a television in 2021.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I've watched Time Team on loop at lunchtime when available for over a decade but it's gradually disappeared.

Sakurazuka posted:

Is it not on every day on Channel 4 at 3pm so I can watch that instead of going to my actual archaeology lectures anymore?

Channel 4 stopped showing and Yesterday was my backup but they also stopped.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I think its freely available on All4

My understanding is it's only available on PC/browser and All4 services on TVs don't have the full selections.

EvilHawk posted:

I've actually just found that there's a Youtube channel by the producers behind Time Team that's uploading loads of episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/c/TimeTeamClassics/

They're trying to get the series revived as well :)

I also saw this when it started a few months back and while I'd want everything and a more orderly selection (and Youtube via TV is awkward for me) it is kinda my only option.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The current TERF news is misinterpreting female athletes "no comment"-ing on what they think of of trans athletes as some kind of dignified win for them and making a hashtag out of it.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

"Love. Pride. Hate. Fear. Have you no emotions, sir?"

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Borrovan posted:

It sounds :tinfoil: as gently caress but a lot of people say this kind of thing, & yesterday I had an entirely offline conversation with my partner about Gorilla glue in our own kitchen, & guess what my phone browser was advertising to me a few hours later. Like honestly I don't really believe I'm being spied on but come the gently caress on.

I think it's just a matter of noticing coincidences. Like how whenever you look at a digital clock and always take extra notice of 2:22 or 14:14

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Posting terrifying images to scare away the terves.

This is reminding me of Dear Esther.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

jabby posted:

Well if I was rich and soulless, I'd just fund both parties. The Tories to actually rule and enact the policies I wanted, and Labour to be my pet opposition and keep the Overton window narrower than a Gnat's whisker.

There was a whole thing where the nature of (foreign) interference (whether Russian, Chinese, internal, whoever) where they do in fact deliberately fund both sides to cause heightened friction and division.