Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Eej posted:

They're very docile towards humans, even wild ones

e: which is probably to their detriment, since there's like 5,000 wild ones left?

To be fair, if they where aggressive towards humans there'd probably be zero left, because holy poo poo that thing looks terrifying in a way bears and big cats don't.

but now that I know they're docile... pet the birb!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Also TW for dog, child, and gun havers!

I didn't really develop a position on gun control until my mom drunkenly pulled her revolver, which she claimed she needed in case she was mugged in the notoriously dangerous streets of suburban Atlanta, on my brother. Which if she would have shot would have hit me square in the back as I was between them trying to get my brother to stop being a belligerent rear end in a top hat.

I then developed the slightly more nuanced position of "I don't know who really needs guns or not, but white suburban wine moms definitely need to be banned from carrying"

That's my almost being shot by a texas mom story.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

DurosKlav posted:

I doubt Texas goes blue at any point in our lifetime. At best it will go purple every so often.

I'll be interested to see the demographic shifts. My brothers in laws moved from Washington State to Arizona because they where afraid of the black people and poors violence coming to their home two hours away from the closest city.
So I assume a lot of those kinds of weirdos are moving to the American Southwest, which might lock in those states forever.

On the other hand, I've heard a lot of liberal tech friends are moving out of California to go to Georgia/Texas because of their jobs allowing WFH. So who knows.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone who name drops the Frankfurt school and claim colleges are effectively hives of political activism is automatically suspect in my opinion

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I don't know where these people get the "college professors are instilling COMMUNISM into your children". My dad insists his professors where all commies who where instilling the values of communism and required the teaching of same... in the late 70's....in the engineering department..at Rice University.

I went to two state schools in Georgia, and if there was any left leaning people in the liberal arts department they save all of that stuff til the STEM kids don't have to take their classes any more.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1404518426224234496?s=19

Per NATO this is just reiteration of the 2008 decision to consider membership. Nothing new.

Gonna be kind of hard when the Russian installed ukrainian government won't want to be apart of NATO

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/mattlargey/status/1404498195795828746?s=19

Not a given that the culture war poo poo sticks for the 2022 elections and they instead hinge on "hey, we have no power and people died while y'all yelled about Mr. Potatohead." Likely, but not a given.

I hope the response of Texans is "get hosed I paid for this power and it's your job to supply it, OUR FREE MARKET WILL NOT BE DENIED" and then the entire grid goes to shambles.

*sets Thermostat to 68*

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Which line would that be? The one where they already invaded and annexed part of the country, pretty much because they could?

The line where Russia invades a Nato signatory and the US and Britain go "lol we're not dying for ukraine" and allows Russia to annex the rest of Ukraine undermining the entire alliance.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Edit wrong thread.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yea, as much as I hate to admit it, rounding up everyone that had a maga hat on within three blocks of the capitol on that day and throwing the book at them for treason while cathartic, it'd probably do nothing more than give more propaganda ammo about the PeRsEcUtiOn oF CoNsErVatIves and in exchange karen gets slightly more inconvenienced until their lawyers plead them down anyway.

That said while the lightest of offenders should get off with fines, some jail, and book reports. The most egregious should be hung or spend the rest of their life in Leavenworth.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CainFortea posted:

They don't need actual real life events to use as ammo. They literally just invent poo poo all the time so worrying about ThE oPtIcS is dumb as gently caress.

Some dumbass in the back of the crowd isn't gonna see the gallows even if DoJ wanted them strung up for treason. So they walk and end up on fox or onn or what ever the gently caress saying "the gubermint tried to kill me, they're persecuting us".

So great, you've generated some amount of martyrs who can go on podcasts, news shows, what ever the gently caress yelling about how they where unfairly persecuted by the government and they'll be after the rest of you sooner enough, they get money from the grift, and the rest of us get gently caress all except some hick who might end up radicalized because of it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

To be clear I have no issue with all of them being charged with what ever, but the Justice system as is isn't gonna convict on treason for the vast majority of these dinguses and they'd walk free and clear. Pursuing lesser charges for the majority of them will get them smacked with something, this is the same country that let the people who occupied that federal park in the west basically walk. Outside of tarp ghost and that other dude who got killed.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

boop the snoot posted:

We fought an entire world war over it.

Don't mistake the USA's appearance in WW2 as some morally righteous rebuking of fascism in general. The USA was happy to sit out until inevitably Japan or Germany would outright start seizing US territory.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Abongination posted:

I think the point the previous poster was making was that there was not popular support for a war in europe from the general population which you acknowledged. Roosevelt absolutely wanted to be involved and did everything he could short of declaring war because it was not politically expedient until pearl harbour.

Pretty much, although I always like reading ace's effort posts.

All I'm saying is, if my neighbor wants to go bash the fash and they're lacking supplies I'll just give them my ball bat I don't even use anymore, I'm not gonna ask for a 99 year lease on their vacation home so they can use it or make them take a 10$ loan at 2% interest to own my bat.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

First major non-insane deep dive I've seen into the Arizona numbers. It more or less confirms what everyone guessed - Donnie lost Arizona because he pissed off McCain-loving Republicans.

Who are the weirdos who voted D down ticket and voted Trump?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

GoGoGadget posted:

I'm in Missouri visiting family. Just went to dinner last night in a relatively crowded restaurant with the table next to us having a family that included grandma on some sort of heavy duty respirator. She's done if she gets sick.

And a shop owner preemptively telling my wife not to get offended and walk out because of covid-19 restrictions on tasting hot sauces, then adding he doesn't believe in "all that nonsense" anyway, even though his cousin died from covid-19, adding "but it could have been pneumonia."

There's a buffet that's been packed from lunch til dinner since January down the street from me. Some people really don't give a gently caress.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Godholio posted:

Big difference between handing over a bat you don't need anymore vs spending your life savings to design and build a bat factory to supply him and all his friends. We didn't give away our WWI leftovers, we grossly expanded basically every industry in existence. That wasn't going to be cheap.

Oh...uh...yeah.

We did give away our WW1 left overs. Destroyers for Bases specifically gave away ships built in 1917, 1918, and 1919 even though the US was producing some amount of ships in the 20's and 30's, so yea. We traded our left overs for some prime real estate. We also loaned cash and equipment with the expectation of being paid back.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A Bad Poster posted:

A buddy of mine's brother bought a place, and its value rose 10% in 3 months.

This bubble is either going to pop and completely wipe out the world economy, or everyone who doesn't have access to buying a property outright with cash will be ground into dust.

Bubbles going to pop I think, or I hope, I'm saving cash for a home sometime in 2023 if the world is still around.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I wonder how long it'll be until we see protestors start deploying spike strips and mobile czech hedgehogs in the middle of protest areas.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Oh I went to one of those for having bad grades in middle school. It was pretty bad.

My younger brother got sent out to one in the Georgia Mountains over a summer and then another in the middle of the Arizona Desert for two years because he was into drugs, but he also had various mental issues which caused him to go into full blown psychosis if he did enough drugs. I dunno what exactly he did out there, but it was enough to keep him away from drugs until he could get a highschool degree and then enroll in the army I guess?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Unifying news item: the NCAA is probably on an irrevocable path to being hosed:

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1406983722365337601

Here's a hot take. gently caress college sports in general, and lol that tax payers effectively subsidize intake pipelines for NBA/NFL/etc/etc/etc and the players themselves get hosed on the deal themselves with a bunch of people making money on their blood sweat and tears except the players themselves.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Out of curiosity for statistical reporting purposes how are wars counted in the age of "undeclared wars", where the president can seemingly just deploy troops and weapons where ever the gently caress without push back from congress?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A Bad Poster posted:

Pretty sure to deploy them they have to say they're doing it under the authorized use of force given by Congress to fight the war on terror. I could be wrong though.

Sure, but middle eastern shenanigans and ongoing africa shenanigans would be under the same heading right? At this point would it all be counted as one contiguous twenty year forever war?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

BINGO BINGO

I HAVE BINGO I WON $69

https://twitter.com/alanfeuer/status/1407027589630332937?s=19

I just needed "representing herself", "religious wingnut", and "sovereign citizen" to complete my card!

Any time soverign citizens are mentioned trying to use legalese, you know I'm gonna look it up and try to divine what they're getting at.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

I've attended football dominated the sports culture in ways the other teams, which at times were far better, did not.

Yea, the college I went to our football team was godawful, but our womens softball, mens baseball, and womens soccer teams where excellent and continually won at the state and regional level. The football team on the other hand was the team anyone ever talked about or had events for.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I would like to say the following: public debate outside of a few exceptions is just mental masturbation to make people feel better about themselves.

Those exceptions of course being, required to debate in school or college, as a public speaking exercise, or drunkenly at a bar with the general masses.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Tonight on Tucker Carlson: CHAIRMAN OF THE JOINT CHIEFS A MARXIST-LENINIST??!?!!?!??!

Is our military under duress from the woke mafia and afraid of being cancelled? Tonight on Tucker Carlson.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

I saw the nightmare, now y'all get to see the nightmare.

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1407669776969715718?s=19

I thought the trailer seemed kinda dumb and then a couple are riding around in a horse draw carriage with one saying "There's interspecies relationships happening on my grounds!" and you know, I thought the kids are gonna be alright.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

That actually doesn’t seem particularly light for the charge, it’s that she was able to get it down to the single charge.

Yea, three years probation and paying a lawyer to defend against that stuff is probably pretty rough all things considered. Like a traffic lawyer in ATL is gonna run you 500-1000 to just enter your plea for you and make most of the poo poo go away, I can't imagine what you'd pay a lawyer to defend you from the feds.

We've also not have seen what have become of the more famous dudes who got caught on video doing really stupid poo poo like busting into congress offices

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'm the lint roller casually on the night stand.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

It'd be great if there was some reconstruction law that gave the federal government over view of elections of former confederate states.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Actually I was legit wondering if there was some arcane reconstruction law that's just never been invoked because it would hurt the south feelings.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A good way for intelligence agencies to surreptitiously collect intel on trump 5th column types

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Here's a really hot take.

If you're gonna race on streets and not a controlled course, then obviously part of the charm is the riders dealing with changing circumstances.

Why isn't avoiding pedestrians doing stupid poo poo a part of it?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Well, it is part of it, in a way.

I'm thinking less "Begrudingly accept stupid poo poo happening" and more Mario Kart, on bikes. Bananas Peels, pedestrians clotheslining bikes getting to close, ramps, moles, that sorta thing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

UNBAN ME, YOU COWARD isn't really something you can put into law. UNBAN ME, YOU ONLY BANNED ME BECAUSE I'M A REPUBLICAN, YOU COWARD is even harder to put into law.

DEAR RICHARD TWITTER!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Christian eschatology and esoterica fascinate me;

Growing up my friend whose family is greek orthodox have a shrine to the virgin mary in their living room. It's back lit 24/7 and has a bunch of iconography and a.. doll?...puppet?..statue? of the virgin mary, never really could tell because the shrine is in a glass viewing case thing and it was the scariest thing ever, because it had a few paintings of "bible accurate angels" the ones with eyes every where and holy poo poo I hated spending the night over there because that shrine was just the scariest thing as an early teenager when you get up to take a piss in the night, come back from the bathroom and see a bunch of eye angels looking at you. I recognize now that eye angels are rad, but holy poo poo they still kinda scare me.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I'll bite, who is Cynthia McKinney?

Former Georgia house of reps member and a good example of how members of both right and left can get brain worms and come to the same hideous conclusions of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

NSA WIZARD posted:

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW loving BUSY I AM

Honestly I'd assume after the last four years it would be slightly easier now that POTUS isn't actively leaking intelligence.