Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I would put r/hardwareswap in the links section, there are some really good deals to be had there sometimes and you won't have to pay tax (for instance I recently bought an NZXT H210 for $50 and a new Corsair 650W gold PSU for $90)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Fun fact about buying both your case AND motherboard used to save $40, there's nary a standoff screw among them. Good thing I have some left over from my current build...

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Just transferred everything over into the NZXT H210 and what a hassle to build in. Plus I didn't realize my MOBO only had 2 full-sized fan headers, so I guess one non-CPU fan will have to do until I get a splitter...

(My ambient temps are sitting in the mid 40s until then, which isn't great though)

change my name fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 11, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I would add a note to the OP about Windows licenses being tied to the MOBO; just realized my version is again unactivated after switching over.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Phew, bought a mini fan header to 2 fan splitter and now my migration to an ITX case is finally complete:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $200.00)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports CPU Cooler (Purchased For $40.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $180.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $60.00)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $54.99)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card (Purchased For $1000.00)
Case: NZXT H210 Mini ITX Tower Case (Purchased For $50.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $90.00)
Case Fan: Noctua S12B redux-1200 PWM 59.1 CFM 120 mm Fan (Purchased For $13.00)

A crappy pic:

Temps are fine, obviously way worse than in the H500. I tried Control maxed with ray tracing and the GPU instantly shot up to 78 but never went any higher than that, CPU stayed below 60 (would likely be better if I could fit a top fan in, it's a no-go with the cooler in place). I picked up 32gb of white Corsair RGB RAM for super cheap on Ebay but I doubt it'll fit so I might just flip it on SA Mart when it arrives, oh well.

Now I'm done forever! I'm finally free!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Kunabomber posted:

Building a PC isn't really delicate work - Half the time it feels like I'm bending metal and just stuffing things in hoping it won't rub up against a fan.

Can vouch for this, I had to use a drywall scraper to pry the front panel off of my case when putting the fans in

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

They detail it in the announcement article.

They also released today a new PWM fan that can run at 0% speed. The idea is to run the passive cooler, with some fans that sit at 0% unless absolutely needed, so you don’t run up against throttling situations.

It’s a bit niche so I’m surprised they made it, but it’s actually a really cool idea for sound sensitive applications such as audio and video recording, live streaming, broadcasting, etc.

That's a cool rear end case, do they say what it is?

Edit: Okay that's a $300-$400 case, nevermind

change my name fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 15, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Welp, took a gamble on some cheap Corsair Vengeance RGB RAM I found on Ebay to finish out my build, and thank god I tested it because I was totally worried about it not fitting:

Sits perfectly, now I'm done messing with this thing forever.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Chill la Chill posted:

You say you’re done messing with the build, but how is the cable management :sickos:

Absolutely terrible and crammed into the hole

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If that Noctua passive cooler was $50-60, it would be awesome for office PCs with integrated graphics (assuming you're not all on macs anyways)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So, I upgraded my Corsair TX550M Gold PSU to a secondhand Corsair RM650 Gold when I rebuilt my PC and lately it's been making a really annoying staticky buzzing/clicking sound that's bugging the hell out of me. Apparently this could be either coil whine, a damaged transformer failing to filter power properly, my MOBO's low-power CPU management, because I've plugged it into a cheapo power strip (not the case, I moved over directly to a grounded wall socket and it's still making that noise), or "totally normal". Any suggestions?

Update: switched the PSU back on my lunch break and in addition to being quieter, my GPU is now running much cooler because the power supply is so much smaller (more air can come through the perforated shroud). Oh well, guess that's what I get for buying secondhand to save $20...

change my name fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 21, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rexxed posted:

I don't have any suggestions for the power supply but there's some EVGA bronzes on sale for prime day if you just want a new one:
https://smile.amazon.com/EVGA-BRONZE-Warranty-Supply-100-BP-0710-K1/dp/B08N4NV5HM/

I'd see about RMAing the RM650 if it's doing weird stuff.

I bought it off of Reddit so I don't think i can send it back to Corsair, sadly, even though it came in the original box with everything.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Bouchehog posted:

Bit of an issue with the build for my brother (full specs here). The EVGA 3070 I've sourced is too long to fit the case with the CPU cooler radiator (a Corsair iCUE H100i):

The card is not currently sitting in a PCIe slot. It needs to go into one of the two shown (the third is under the card in the shot above but is the slot lower than the GPU is sitting, so I can't use that one). I obviously need space for the power leads so even if I could shift the radiator back a few millimetres to cram it in, I'd still have an issue.

I can't see that I can keep the cooler: The top of the case (left of shot) is fixed with rivets, has no mounting holes and would have no airflow, the bottom section has no mounting holes and the PSU will sit below at the back of the case, so would not be ideal even if I could mount the radiator there.

It looks like the only solution would be to change out the cooler for something that will fit better. Any suggestions? It's on a i7-11700K which will be overclocked from 4.9GHz.

Install the cooler in the top? It looks like it might fit if you run the CPU power cable from the front instead of around the back

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm looking at mITX boards and need a sanity check. I'm switching from an ATX X570 board to a mITX format. I don't really use the extended I/O of the X570 and am trying to figure out which chipset I really need.

This is going in an open xProto case with the following bits - so nothing too beefy right now
SeaSonic Focus GX-750 PSU
Ryzen 2600X
M2 NVME drive
EVGA 1650 Super

I would like at some point to upgrade to a more modern processor, probably a used 5600X/5800X in a couple year's time, and probably a 30X0 video card in a couple years. I think based on new BIOS updates it will be possible to use a B450 board with Ryzen 5X00 series processors. Additionally, the PCI-e riser I am using is PCI-e 3.0 only, so there doesn't seem to be much benefit to having PCI-e 4.0 with the B550. Based on this, does it make sense to get a B450 board (like the B450I Aorus Pro Wifi) and save 70 bucks or so over a similar B550 board? I don't really have budget constraints, but obviously not really in to spending money for no real purpose. I am leaning towards the B450, but am interested to hear any reasons people would have to go one way or another. I am slightly worried I'm missing something. Also open to any mITX suggestions for B450 - I am pretty set on the Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro Wifi if I do go B550, but I'm less aware of what's good or bad in B450 world.

B450 boards will only come with Wifi A/C (5) and likely 1-gigabit ethernet while B550 boards will usually have WIFI 6 and 2.5-gigabit networking + the latest Bluetooth revisions, if that's something that makes a difference

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (12nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $90.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 2 Black CPU Cooler (Purchased For $40.00) (If this clashes with the RAM I'll swap for the stock Wraith Stealth, I just had it already)
Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $108.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $60.00)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 510 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $100.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: NZXT H210 Mini ITX Tower Case (Purchased For $70.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $90.00)
Total: $558.00

Finished speccing out my friend's new PC. She's upgrading from a 6-year-old iMac and her only stipulation was that she wanted the same case that I have, so I put together this unholy abomination made up of stuff that I could find used for cheap/on sale/or that I already had lying around. That PSU is the one that was buzzing so I'll probably have to find a cheap bronze-tier replacement.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

CoolCab posted:

well, unless you lose the little tiny screw when you first build the machine not realizing how mission critical it is, then have to buy it on amazon for five loving pounds and can't install your drive for a week, then after the amazon parcel arrived find the original lost screw. ask me how i know!

I just shoved a spacer and an m3 screw from the case in there and it worked fine, I didn't want to tape it for similar reasons.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Waroduce posted:

Yeah, the laptop thread discussion sent me here. I need a device now unfortunately since my personal is on its last legs. The laptop I was eyeballinng has a Ryzen 9 which is pretty sexy and a 3070 at right around 1800$ but just tracking this conversation I guess the PC pre-built would be nice to get in on and than part upgrade in the future.

Are there any major concerns with this pre-built? The only thing I hit on was the processor being a bit older

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...p?skuId=6452133

Also this probably a stupid question but i was expecting an ethernet port to be explicitly listed but is that just assumed now

That CPU is pretty much top-of-the-line new new, don't worry about it. The front fans that suck air in from a solid pane of glass (there are no vents on either side either??) are hilarious, though

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ulhFi5N2hc

Man I love reviews of bad products (but at this point everyone knows Alienware is bad, right?)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Boba Pearl posted:

Can a 1070 even run anything these days?

The 1070 is like the fifth most popular card on the Steam hardware survey, I'm pretty sure you can run most, if not all, games at 1080p 60 FPS on it

Edit: looking at the rankings, the percentage of users running a 1060 has actually gone up, and the 3070 is finally creaking its way up the charts, sitting at twice as popular as its nearest 30 series competitor, the 3080: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

change my name fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 22, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I had a 1650 Super before my 3070 and it could handle pretty much everything just fine at 1080p? And the 1070 is significantly better than that. Here's a benchmarking vid with newer games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA_DCIEMaqI

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Boba Pearl posted:

None of those games are under 3 years old.

Is this a joke, I actually can't tell

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'd really like to see what settings he's using for each of those games because it looks like he's lowering them quite a bit and is still struggling to hit 60fps in a lot of them, which only supports my point.

He shows the settings at the start of each section, it looks like he's running them all at 1080p with everything set to high or ultra

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I have the Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro (the ITX version) and it's good so far even though I bought it refurbished. There are complaints that the built-in Bluetooth craps out after a while and requires a hard reset (hasn't happened to me) and that the 2.5-gigabit ethernet port needs to be capped at 1 gigabit or it becomes unstable (haven't experienced yet either) but take that with a grain of salt. I had an MSI board before this and I will say that the BIOS was way better and easier to navigate.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

mulligan posted:

What would be a good price to sell my used GTX1650 OC? eBay is all over the place. I bought it new but I lost the box, I don’t wanna scalp anyone but I don’t wanna throw It away either, maybe 150 - 200 shipped?

1050 TIs are still pushing close to $200, you could easily sell it for $200

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

PittTheElder posted:

How necessary are aftermarket CPU coolers? Particularly if I'm not dealing with overclocking is it just overkill?

The AMD Wraith Stealth is "fine", but really loud under load. I've tried both a $30 Arctic Esports 34 cooler (not the duo) and the Bequite! Purerock for $40 and both made my system absolutely silent.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This is only tangentially related, but after swapping all of my components onto an ITX MOBO and putting everything in a smaller case, my PC won't stop waking up from hibernation in the middle of the night or at the slightest vibration. I've disabled letting windows wake it from sleep in the power settings, turned that off for the mouse and wifi adapter and everywhere else I could, but it keeps happening even though it's the same HD as my old build and it never happened there. Any idea of what's causing this? I keep seeing my RAM LEDs go on in the middle of the night and have to repeatedly go over and turn it back off.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

canepazzo posted:

I had this same issue and I found that in my case, this was the solution - has been working so far at least.

Already did this, it has been disabled

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This seems well put together but the logo reminds me of a mascot head

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

PageMaster posted:

Finally starting to build my pc after having parts on storage for a year. I've never had a case with cutouts behind the motherboard, though, or if I did they never had dedicated removable covers and I forgot. Does anyone know what these are for? there are covers with hand screws over this normally:

I believe this is to let heat dissipate in case you have another M.2 drive on the back of your MOBO, my case has a similar cutout right over where my second slot is

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Eraflure posted:

Is this a good place to talk about prebuilts? My current PC is slowly but surely dying on me and I don't think I can afford to wait until the market gets less insane. This is a stone age setup with a 970 so I'll only transfer my SSD and external HDD to the new one.

Would this prebuilt
https://support.hp.com/hk-en/document/c07673208
be worth 1500 euros? It might sound silly but I'm worried about its dimensions. It's a lot smaller than my current one and I don't know much about cooling/ventilation. Also don't know about that power supply.

The short of it for those who can't click the link

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard: Erica6
Memory: 32 GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM (2 x 16 GB)
Storage: 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD /// 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD
Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti
Power Supply: 500 W Bronze efficiency power supply (?)

Not sure about prices in the UK but you could likely build a comparable system for way less even if you pay scalper prices for that GPU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Augus posted:

Never gotten a PC before, am I doing it right please help

the case is an important part because I have limited space to put the computer in

This seems totally fine, maybe bump up the PSU to 550 or 600 watts just so you have some overhead. Also don't pay $100 for windows, you can get a key for $15-20. Maybe take that money and get a low-profile CPU cooler instead.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Any help with this? Or are the prices for graphics cards so hosed that trying to make a decent PC at this price is just not possible right now?

Honestly, for $600-800 you should probably grab a 1050ti or 970 for like $150 or put that money towards a Ryzen 5000 series CPU with integrated graphics and slot something dedicated in later. Neither of those has particularly high requirements...

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

^that would be an option to if you can find a 1050Ti for $150. I wasn't aware even those were available right now haha.

There have been a few up for sale on Reddit and the Ebay prices are trending that way, I picked one up for $165 (before shipping) for a friend this month

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is 70 degrees normal for the 5600x? The Ryzen 5 3600 also has a 65-watt TDP and mine has never hit 70 under load even though I'm only using a single-fan Arctic 34 esports cooler in an ITX case. Seems hot to me? That GPU temp is fine though.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I don't think heat sink height matters at all either, plenty of people in the comments for that LTT video said they threw one in and just removed the plastic cover that encloses the M.2 slot

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Okay, my PC's hibernation problem (it wakes up seemingly at random) is loving driving me up the wall. For reference, here are my specs again:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/snRBK3

My power plan has the wake from sleep option disabled. My mouse and wifi adapter similarly have that option turned off. If I put my PC into hibernation and physically disable both my mouse and keyboard it powers down, but then immediately after the fans all spin up again and the RAM LEDs light up but with seemingly no signal going out to the monitor. I have to hold down the power button to put it back into hibernation. This didn't happen at all before I rebuilt my system with this new motherboard and RAM, any suggestions?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm moving next week but my new place is fairly close so I was just going to take out my GPU and walk my system over. Should I remount my CPU cooler in case it shakes loose or am I just being insanely paranoid for no reason?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Depends: Are you going to carry your heavy printer miles away to help a pretty girl and hopefully get maybe a hug? After all, you are a Goon!

I have been helping my girlfriend lug furniture home all week so you're not totally wrong...

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Harvey Baldman posted:

Okay, work has given me a $2k budget to get a workstation to do 3D modeling, rendering, and other digital design bullshit on. I need to save a little of the overhead for monitor/keyboard/mouse, so I'm aiming for something <$1,800ish for now.

These have popped up for me during my search:

Are any of these contenders, or am I better off just getting into the weeds with a parts-picker and trying to build something to suit?

Don't spend $1,800 on a system with a 3060 in it, there are way better options at that price point even in the other prebuilts on Newegg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Not if you want 32GB of RAM, which the OP wants for their use case.

edit: The 3060 is the weakest of the new Ampere cards but if you're building on such a tight budget, it might be the best you're gonna get.

RAM isn't that expensive. Here's a config for $1,600 with a 3060 ti and Ryzen 5 3700x for $1,600, he could just buy 2 more sticks for like $60-70 and slot them in: https://www.newegg.com/abs-ala224/p/N82E16883360021?quicklink=true

Also for some reason none of the three builds posted have RAM speeds included? You'd think people would want that information