Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Why would you need another MOBO when you already have the X570?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

Is there a recommended brand for the B550s? When I got my 450 it was all about the MSIs.
Not really, I have an MSI and I like it, but if it’s a B550 and a decent manufacturer it’s fine as far as I have heard.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If you are mostly gaming, the 5600x is more than sufficient unless you want to play something like MS Flight Simulator at high settings

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I would be surprised if we ever get back to where GPU pricing used to be

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Good to hear that they fixed that

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CoolCab posted:

and really for good reason - it's 2021, the best pc building advice from a price/performance for gigantic chunks of this year were "buy a prebuild" and "buy an xbox". you get way more frames for your money.
Yeah I mean my PS5 runs almost as fast as my 5600x/3070 build, so if you are thinking about dropping $2K plus on a rig and that is stretching things for you financially you are better off just waiting

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I have an MSI B550M Bazooka and that works fine for me

As far as NVMe drives, I have the WD Blue 1 TB which was a site recommendation. I believe they also have the 2 TB version.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It’s really about extras. Any of those boards can handle that that processor

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So I'm reading that Win11 is causing people with AMD CPUs to have lower performance compared to Intel? That's just great, MS.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

There's really no reason to use Windows 11 right now unless you're into schadenfreude. Just wait a year while the kinks get worked out.
Yeah I'm definitely not rushing but it's pretty crazy that it's causing 3-5% performance drops on AMD CPUs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes you should definitely have a rear exhaust fan

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I assume these builds are putting HDDs in because they are just cheaper? Because at this point I would skip anything that isn't an SSD.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If anyone has an unlimited budget, there's an Alienware build up for preorder with a 3080, DDR5, and one of those newer Intel chips for $2800

https://www.ign.com/articles/dell-alienware-aurora-r13-intel-alder-lake-ddr5-rtx-3060-3070-3080-gaming-pc

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They may be talking about a chargeback or dispute with the credit card company

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Newegg was forcing people to buy unsafe PSUs with the new GPUs last year so this isn’t surprising

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If these were normal times, you'd be able to put together a pretty decent i5-12400/3070 system for $1150 - $1200 now. It loving sucks how screwed up the market still is.

With that said, B660 boards seem to be going live on Newegg now: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=b660

Only a handful so far, though it's nice to see a $140 option (even if it is mATX). Still, it's looking like the 12400 + motherboard will cost $100 less than a 5600X + equivalent motherboard while being as powerful or better in most games. Rip to Zen 3, at least until the 5800X3D comes out.

edit: There are more Asus motherboards on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=b660+motherboard&sprefix=b660+%2Caps%2C75&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_5

I swear Asus' expansion slot placement is intentionally designed to piss you off.

Why does that board have a VGA port

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The last two monitors I’ve purchased have only had HDMI and DP ports. What is still using DVI input?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Surprise T Rex posted:

I guess this is only tangentially related to PC building, but with my new system I seem to be having some pretty dodgy audio issues. Most of my audio is crackling/popping when it plays, though it seems intermittent. I'm on Windows 11, and it seems to be happening on all audio sources (tested with Bluetooth headphones and two separate monitors with speakers, hooked into the GPU via HDMI).

Could it be something I've done wrong in the build of the PC itself? I'm coming across a bunch of articles about "DPC" which I think is some kind of driver blocking happening, and I wonder if it's related to CPU performance, which makes me wonder if I should have bought a bigger PSU as mine only had one output for the 8-pin and not for the nearby 4-pin CPU connector. Perhaps I'm underpowering my machine - not that I've gotten the CPU anywhere near 100% utilisation yet though. I just don't really know enough about this stuff to know where to look or how to resolve it.

Anyone know a fix? Or a more appropriate thread.
The 4 pin connector near the CPU is probably for the CPU fan connection. That doesn't hook up to the PSU.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He's talking about this:

(taken from reddit)

That extra 4-pin connector is only there for very heavy-duty overclocking really, and is completely optional. It should not be causing any audio issues.
OK my B550 board doesn't have that, I don't think.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Probably just a GPU upgrade

I also don’t know if your issues could also be caused by poor optimization of the game you’re playing

Does it do ok with other games?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The newest Intel mobos have some shortages but that’s about it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah my guess is a PSU issue based on those symptoms.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah that is a huge markup for an older card, jesus

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The one time I had issues with that it was motherboard related

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dr.D-O posted:

What do y'all do with your old PC hardware when you've built a new PC or upgraded your PC?

I'm in the market to upgrade or build a new one as the last PC I built is now over a decade old, but I'm not sure what to do with it. It's still completely functional, albeit with compatibility issues.
I parted out my old PC about a year ago on eBay (GPU, CPU, RAM, Blu-Ray drive) and made more money than I expected

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

loquacius posted:

Hm. I have no earthly idea whether the GPU works or not. The old system straight-up does not boot. I don't really have a good sense for graphics cards, really -- I know they need to be relatively up-to-date to run a lot of games and crunch numbers on encoding/decoding, and that they're ridiculously expensive these days, but that's about all. If the budget cards I found really aren't a significant upgrade, I'll try sticking with the old one for now and see if it's fried. Thanks :tipshat:
Do you have a mobo with error lights

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Is there anything we know yet about the Ryzen 7 series

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes you need somewhere for that to go. I ended up having to find a desk with a PC cabinet that actually had a removable back area so the heat had somewhere to go.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Crypto crashing is making it much, much easier to get a hold of a new GPU now

https://twitter.com/hitstreak/status/1538276653876424704

Prices should only continue to lower as we approach the 40 series launch

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

8 Ball posted:

Are there any standout 3rd party 3060 Tis in terms of cooling/noise or am I good to (hopefully) snap one up at MSRP from Nvidia?
If you can, I would try and get an EVGA card since their warranty is great

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Devorum posted:

What's the best Power Supply Calculator? I grabbed that $780 EVGA 3080 off of Amazon, and I'm pretty sure my old off-brand 650w PSU isn't going to cut it.

I tried the Newegg calculator, and the PC Part Picker calculator and got wildly different results (900-1200w from the former, 689w from the latter).

I was going to go with an 850w, but am now thinking maybe 1000w?

I have:

ATX MOBO
i7-12700K
32GB DDR5
3 M.2
2 7200RPM HDD
Corsair H150i Capellix (considering switching to a Noctua U12A)
4 120mm Case fans in addition to the 3 from the CPU cooler.
RTX 3080 FTW3
I have the same card and a 5600x and my Corsair 850W PSU is more than enough. I’m a bit concerned about future gen GPUs though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

40C is not significant at idle

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

Even if it's a few degrees on the toasty side, you're not going to slag the chip just getting Windows up and running a few games - the CPU would throttle long before then

If you're bouncing off 90c while gaming and your performance starts going in the pot, then yeah, you might need a remount
Yeah exactly

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

AMD's new 7000 series processors are releasing on 9/27. Pricing and specs are in this article-

https://www.ign.com/articles/amd-ryzen-7000-series-processors-release-date-price

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It’s way better than it was at the beginning of the year

Supplies started to finally appear in like April

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

4K monitors are still way too expensive, but Amazon has a few that are almost half off

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-best-gaming-monitor-deals-for-amazon-prime-day

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i am reminded again how harrowing it is to crank a processor onto a socket

first time builders do not be afraid. it is very scary but there's a surprising amount of force involved
I just remember sitting it until you can feel it go into the socket, and then pushing down the holder or whatever it's called to secure it to the board. That was one of the lesser annoying parts of my last build.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

All of a sudden I come home to turn on my PC today and it will start to boot and then crash shortly after booting. I would try to log in to windows and then I would get a blue screen and the PC would go back to the BIOS to try and fix the issue. Then it would just freeze after a certain point. At first I thought this was the hard drive, but then when I tried to go into BIOS, after maybe a minute BIOS will just freeze. This makes me thing my motherboard decided to die for some reason. Does that sound right to anyone? The computer lights up, and I'm not getting the impression that it would be anything else except either the hard drive or the motherboard. My hard drive is an M.2 NVME that I have not had issues with before.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

spunkshui posted:

So I’ve been noticing a trend online where people suddenly have computer issues that sound like a dying CPU and then I check to see what kind of CPU they have and it’s a recent AMD chip.

You have a 5600x in this rig yes?

I mean, it could also just be that AMD sells a lot of chips, but I would pick up a new compatible chip someplace where you can return it and see if that fixes the problem.

If not, then yeah it’s totally the motherboard.
Yes it is

I took it to a local computer place so I'll know what the deal is in the next day or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It turned out that my PC that would just crash/freeze when going into boot or the BIOS just had a faulty RAM stick, which was the least bad of the possible options