Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

SpaceDrake posted:

so EVGA just ollied out of the GPU biz.

More of a no comply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

What a difference 17 years makes eh.

In the first pic I notice in the background that you seem to have your toddlers caged off in a different room away from your pc. Good call.
(If it's actually pets in there, sorry for the offence (to the pets))

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Rashomon posted:

Now, any advice for software these days? Particularly, I'm trying Windows 11 for the first time. Anything I need to know or add or disable? (This new Start menu is absolute garbage, so I'll have to figure something out for that...)

Nice setup, I'm jealous.
I happened to read a thing in Ars today about de-shitifying windows. It actually looks like a ton, but a fair bit is cosmetic. It explains it all quite well.
Personally, I do a bit more than this, but I'm a bit obsessive.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/what-i-do-to-clean-up-a-clean-install-of-windows-11-23h2-and-edge/

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 24, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Rashomon posted:

Would love to know what you do as an obsessive.

Lol, this...
(it's really good though)

This can revert the start menu, Windows explorer, and a whole host of other things.
There are a couple of apps that do just the start menu, but I alway ended up coming back to this one.

https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher

Oh I was doing some registry editing today to remove that copilot garbage too

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 25, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Zoya posted:

he's extremely pleased that you like his case

i will quote him here:

he's recently played helldivers, enshrouded, and lethal company with us, but his PC struggles compared to the rest of the group since he's last to upgrade

he also plays rust and tarkov incessantly

he has an attachment to Intel in that it's what he knows and has always used and change is scary (samesies) but i don't think he's like fully "die on this hill" tier about it

Tarkov and Rust are 2 games in particular that would just love some of that AMD 3D cache

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Pooperscooper posted:

For the motherboard what is a good mid-range one to get? I feel like motherboards are hard to shop for based on reviews, like I'm okay spending $150-200 for a good quality one but seems like they all have technical issues?

I was thinking the ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard

It's a bit of a minefield, I've just been through it myself this week. They are all very similar tbh, and performance is near identical bar the odd very benchmark, more so in the mega pricey ones. That's probably why there are so few (non AI generated poo poo) reviews, as there's so little to say. There shouldn't really be many technical issues though? Well maybe there were when the platform launched, but they have all been updated multiple times since then.

They differentiate mainly by the M.2 slots (number of, and whether they have a gen 5) and USB connections (whether they have 5Gbps or 10Gbps)
Oh, as well as size and appearance too I guess.
The one you have picked has 3 M.2 (inc a 5 Gen) and a 5Gbps USB (along with loads of other USB3/2 ones of course)
Looks totally fine, unless you really want need a 10Gbps USB rather than a 5Gbps. In that case, you'd have to find a model that swaps that in place of the gen 5 M.2, or go for the higher priced X670 chipset.

I'm pretty confident in all that, but yeah, it's confusing, so don't take it as 100% gospel.

This explains it pretty well.
https://www.techspot.com/guides/2669-amd-ryzen-x670-b650-a620-motherboards/specific

Yeah it's totally confusing. your post got me wondering about the board I'm waiting to be delivered (PRIME B650M-A WIFI II) and I realized that I have no idea how they compared. I had a check, and I think mine has 1 fewer M.2 gen, but is £30 cheaper. I think so at least haha.
If I'd had a larger budget, I'd have probably got frustrated and just spent more money "to be on the safe side". The cynic in me thinks that's a big part of why it's like this

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 16, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Anyone experienced clicking noise from the fan in Corsair PSUs?

Got a brand new RM750e which makes occasional, very noticeable clicks when the fan starts or changes speed. Tried it in different orientations, gave it a gentle whack, poked the fan with a plastic spudger, but it keeps returning. It's intermittent, but annoying as gently caress.
I persuaded Amazon to send a replacement rather than gently caress about waiting to return and refund, but if it's something of a known issue then I'll tell them to change it for another brand.

I realize I'm probably just freaking out a bit, but my (also brand new) ProArt 4080 super is being returned (to a different shop) due to a rattling bearing in one of it's fans, so I'm feeling a bit cursed.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Corsair going after that Fractal North money by releasing wooden panels for their 4000D and 5000D cases:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/pc-components-accessories/cc-8900687/4000-series-wooden-pc-case-panel-sapele-cc-8900687

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/pc-components-accessories/cc-8900682/5000-series-wooden-pc-case-panel-sapele

It's a shame how expensive they are, though.

edit:

Not sure how I feel about this look, to be honest.

For a split second I thought that price was for the case too, lol.

They remind me too much of the covers that people here in the UK use to try and disguise their heating radiators.
Build a system with that new Intel KS chip in it and it would work as both I guess

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 18, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

spunkshui posted:

You aren’t wrong for being picky.

That power supply fan should be the quietest fan in your system.

The only time the power supply fan needs to rev up is when the power supply has been working hard for a while, and if it’s doing that your GPU fans are probably blasting along with whatever is cooling your CPU.

Power supplies are also something that you get about a decade of use out of.

I wouldn’t want to put up with a noisy fan for a decade, especially knowing that it’s not supposed to be loud.

100% agree. Shout out to Amazon for having the replacement here within 18 hours as well. Seems ok as far as the clicking fan goes. How-loving-ever though, it isn't exactly quiet as far as coil noise goes. Under moderate loads it has a clear fizzle/crackling noise. gently caress me.
I'm not expecting perfection, but I was just praising my previous old Corsair HX (or maybe AX) 750 that was over a decade old when I got rid of it and it was better that these. poo poo, the PSU in my Dell workstation to NAS conversion in the other room is better.

Either very very bad luck, a bad batch, or Corsair aren't as good as they were, idk. There are quite a lot of reviews on Amazon, and posts elsewhere with similar issues actually.
I can't afford it right now, but in a couple of weeks, I'll return it for a refund and add another hundred pounds or so and get something else off of the very top that cultist list. I don't really mind spending another 250 even, if it performs. 10 or even 20% of the system isn't crazy when I remember that it will end up in multiple builds over a decade like you say.

I tried to record the sound partly to show I'm not imagining it, or that it's not just my tinnitus getting worse, but the other fans mask it from a lovely phone mic.
I did manage to get some footage of the GPU clicks if anyone is interested though.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/A5mPQxnX9Xwmc7m68
Might need to crank the volume a bit (or headphones) The occasional loud click is my mouse changing the speed on the app btw.

That's being collected today, then they deal with it withing 48 hours, and send a replacement. "48 hour replacement policy" will still take a week which is a bastard, as specially as they are almost out of stock of that one and won't hold one.

I'll shut up now. Just an old man moaning about his toys not being shiny enough eh.
(My Phantom Spirit SE is nice and quiet though! The Asus PRIME B650M-A WIFI II Micro ATX is also great for the price. Oh, and I'll still trust Corsair with their RAM, that's been really quiet too :-))

-edit-

Not shutting up yet it seems (I'm hoping some of this is of some help/interest to someone, I'm not just venting honest)

That PSU is getting louder ( the new coil noise one , not the previous clicky one) I can hear it from 10 feet away, admittedly in isn't in a case atm, but that isn't the point. Here's a wee recording of it, bearing in mind it's from a lovely phone mic so it louder than it comes across again. I didn't open the curtains to avoid the shame of anyone seeing my hovel btw
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SxmrSyxgyYysnEdR8

Yeah, gently caress that poo poo. Going to see if I can spend my way to something better.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Mar 19, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Now that the GPU is out of the system for RMA it is even worse, the PSU coil noise that is. It vanishes if I load up the CPU, but is intolerable at idle. What a palaver.
I only discovered that the 7800x3D has a rudimentary iGPU, so that's cool, as I can still use the system (to research better PSUs) while the GPU is replaced.

Can't believe that I spent a couple of grand to do a week of my own computer janitoring

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 19, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Jeremor posted:

I do not have a Microcenter near me unfortunately, but I'd be willing to try putting something together if that was obviously the better option.

I know pre-built pcs are bound to cost more but that one still seems like a rip off. That being the "boosted" version even more so. Looks like an just extra 16GB or RAM and an extra 1TB sized SSD for 2 hundred dollars. Not that the 1,350 "standard" is great either.

The post above your initial one by DizzyBum has a system the is considerably better for just under 1,400, but it isn't built of course.
It's maybe got that Microcentre bundle in the price, but that won't make much difference.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 19, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Jeremor posted:

I'm convinced, I'll try building that one Dizzy posted above.

I'm actually only using 2 1080p monitors currently but I can see myself upgrading to 1440p in the near future. I don't care about 4k or anything like that.

Good stuff, you'll be fine friend

I don't know what the returns policy is in the US or your state, but in the UK they have to take stuff back within 14 days, as long as you have kept all the packaging haven't wrecked it. Maybe leave on the peel-off plastic til the end though.
I've had friends and acquaintances that have used this as an insurance policy if they just can't manage to make it all work, sometimes with a wee bit of online/phone assistance. It's been years since anyone hasn't managed, it is so much easier now.

If it's for your wife you could let her see the range of cases available if that's the sort of thing she cares about? You might regret it though, there are a lot.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 19, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

DizzyBum posted:

Cool, thanks! I definitely need to remember to tweak my fan settings in the new system. I have a habit of getting lazy and just letting everything run too loud.

I was late to the fan curve party and just installed this a few days ago and it is excellent.
https://getfancontrol.com/

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Sorry to beat a dead horse a bit here, but I specced up a similar build (to the 1,400 one Dizzy had) on the Maingear site and it ends up over 2,200. I know they are one of the best, and that some people can't/don't want to piss about with all this but that is a hefty markup. They will be buying components in bulk too. Not much cheaper, but still lower than retail. I hope they are paying their staff a living wage with amazing benefits.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 19, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

cool thx. While Ray Tracing sounds cool, I've never been the most graphics at all costs guy, so who knows how much value I'll get out of it

DLSS is something that you most likely could though. It can make a big difference in performance, as well as actually improve image quality in some cases. There are plenty of games around that can go from unplayable to playable and looking great.
It's a bit of a game changer, excuse the pun.

Mini rant incoming..
I wish that the AMD equivalent was as good (or even just a bit closer) and hope that Intel keep improving as I have giving Nvidia my money (not a fanboy thing, they are just too rich and have too much market share), but their software trickery really is very impressive.

Some capital-G Gamers talk poo poo about these technologies saying it's cheating, "devs are lazy", and "it's not real frames" but they are demented fools.

I'm a sucker for the fancy ray tracing stuff but I totally understand some people aren't fussed. But the upscaling stuff is becoming a fundamental part of performance/image quality and value for money. Sadly it's the worlds second most valuable company (or something like that) that have the best poo poo, price it how the see fit, and the market adjusts upward

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 19, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I think Gamers Nexus are maybe using that for their testing now. Partly for consistence, but it's definitely be more convenient the amount of changes they must make.
efb

It has pretty good rep. Meant to be good on super high temp stuff to avoid "pump out" or something, but that's not in my wheel house at all.

Last year Amazon accidentally sent me a 45G tube by mistake and only charged me for a 4G, so I'll be using that til the day I die (or it dries up) It looks comically large.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 19, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Wait what, are those pads electrically conductive? If so, gently caress that.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

If anyone has a case that is slightly too small for the Peerless Assassin (or it is out of stock like when I was buying my stuff), then the Phantom Spirit is a few mm shorter and performs pretty much the same. And looks pretty much the same. Seriously, Thermalright have so many coolers, it's wild.

-edit-
Haha, I thought I better check, and yeah it is actually only 4mm shorter. So not much at all, but I have had times in the past when a cooler was just barely touching a side panel and even that amount would have fixed it.
Seems that the Phantom is basically just a Peerless but with an extra heatpipe. I'm surprised that they don't hype that up more, first time I'd heard. Not saying that more pipes are automatically better, but it seems like an obvious marketing thing.
It does sometimes outperform the Peerless too. Depends on so many variables, and it isn't by much so it's hard to care.

It was also that Hardware Canuck guy that was testing it and I can't bear the intonation of his voice so I only clicked through it. Sounds lovely of me I know, but he always sounds too earnest or something, idk, I know I'm being weird

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 21, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

If anyone is really worried about applying paste then it would be worth looking at the sheets instead.

But wondering what pattern to squidge out, worrying that you put on too much/little, and it ultimately being just fine, is all part of the fun really.

Unless it's liquid metal. That's a different beast.
Even more so in a laptop.
Scary as gently caress.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Like this. With the air directed towards that white fan at the rear.
(unless I'm totally misunderstanding the question)

Used to be that some people thought that because "heat rises" you'd have the fans pointing up lmao
(not that having some fans in the roof of the case is a bad idea, that's just a different part of the equation)

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 22, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

And if you already have a nice monitor/tv (1440 or 4k) then you could use the saved money to upgrade to a 4080 super

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Not sure if this is the right thread, lemee know if not.

Anyone here ever had a motherboard cause coil whine to come from the PSU?

Bought a Corsair rm750e, and it had coil whine, only when idle. Really bad though, like across the room bad.
Amazon had a replacement to me within the day. Same issue.
I have a video of this (second) one (the bad, unchangeable, thumbnail is just my hand lol)

So two Corsair PSUs, I thought I'd get something off of that Cultist list. Got an NZXT 1200C total overkill, but it was only £30 more than the Corsairs
Nope. Even worse. It's like Josh Wink's Higher State Of Consciousness at points. Again it is fine under load.

So, that's now 3 different PSUs, all with the same issue. Never had this with the previous PC. Sadly don't have any spare parts to cross check things with.
Tried removing everything once at a time, RAM, SSDs, all peripherals. Tried different power cables, different sockets in different parts of the house.
Tried all sorts of BIOS settings, default, etc etc. It starts as soon as the power does (second video shows) and only stops if there's a load on the CPU.

So, the only thing I'm left with is the motherboard?

Or the CPU? That seems unlikely as gently caress for some reason, and afaik it won't even boot without it in there
I'm at the end of my rope here. I'll probably just order another, different motherboard from Amazon and see.
Anyone of you ever experienced this?

ASUS Prime B650M
Corsair 6000/c30 RAM (from the compatibility list)
7800x3d

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JTueHXwMJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsCOcDOmev4

ASUS Prime B650M
Corsair 6000/c30 RAM (from the compatibility list)
7800x3d

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Should have mentioned that the NZXT one was reduced, it's usually £190. Main reason I tried it was that it was A list on that Cultist list, and the reviews I found rated it very highly other than the fan being a bit noisy when at high loads. And I'll never get past 50%, even once the 4090 arrives

(I've had two RMA 4080 Supers that have takes so long to deal with that I can now afford a 4090, but that's another story)
I am truly cursed it seems

-edit-

Haha gently caress me I'm a loving idiot maybe I should have googled "NZXT | C Gold 1200W coill whine" gently caress them and gently caress that Cultist list
piece of poo poo, lol

Going to try an HX Corsair next. I had one in the past that lasted over 14 years and counting. Maybe the tch angels will look upon me favorably for my 4th try.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 29, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Hw busters review was actually one of the reasons I bought that nzxt abomination. It's wildly noisy. Sounds like one of those old whistling kettles at points. Google autocompletes "noise" when you put the name in lol.
Not to try to discredit the site, I just should have cross checked.

Ordered a Corsair Hx1000.
And then after reading quite a few posts of coil noise (and clicking fan, the issue I also had with the first unit) I also bought a pricey Silverstone Hela platinum 850 for a back up. Seems to be little negative online noise about that one, pardon the pun
I'll keep whatever one is best.
Seems demented I know, but after my recent luck I don't give a gently caress anymore.
I wonder at what point Amazon stop accepting returns lol

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 30, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Mr. Baps posted:

I'm upgrading my video card from my slowly dying RTX 2060. Currently I'm gaming on a 1080p monitor but I might upgrade that to 1440p in the near-ish future. I'm looking to spend no more than $450, and I'm leaning toward AMD's 7700XT.

My questions are,
Ray tracing is cool, but is it cool enough to push me toward an RTX 4060ti? I've heard it's underwhelming unless you're talking about ray tracing, and it seems to be the only comparable nvidia card in my price range.
I've seen mentions here and there that nvidia's drivers tend to be better than AMD's. Is that true, and if so how much does it matter?
Are there manufacturers I should prefer or avoid? I have no goddamn clue what the difference is, if any, between Gigabyte and XFX and PowerColor etc etc.

Drivers are pretty similar nowadays. Some will perform better in some games and whatnot, but it's been a while since one of them is consistently bad/broken like in years gone past. Unless you are getting an Intel card, but that's another can of worms (that is also getting pretty good now which is cool)

Prices of the 4060/Ti have came down a bit in price afaik, so they are regarded a bit more highly than when first reviewed. I remember them getting a lot of bad press, mainly for price (now reduced) and then only having 8GB VRAM (now the 16GB is also "cheaper")
Also, you would want a 16GB version for 1440p really, but it looks like that's in your price range. (with a cursory glance at US prices) The AMD card you mentioned has 12GB, which is probably fine too tbh, but 8GB would be a piss take really

Rather than ray tracing I think the best thing about Nvidia atm, is actually DLSS, and maybe framegen. It's considerably better than the AMD offering, and especially at lower resolutions. It looks to stay that way for a while more as well. I don't know the specifics of your games/system, but it may be what makes playing stuff at 1440p much more viable.
There's so many variables though so this is all general.

As for brands, they are all the same sort of performance so just pick whatever looks cool, do some specific googling/youtube for peace of mind.

I know I sound a bit like an Nvidia shill, but it actually pisses me off that the Nvidia are so dominant. It seems like at the high end with all the ray tracing/path tracing fanciness they are the "best" option, and at the entry level their DLSS is higher quality and boosts performance where it is needed.
The market really needs more competition, ideally with 3 companies.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 31, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

"I wonder why they didn't post a pic?"
"ah"

Joking aside, it does look very practical, and I admire them doing something different.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Dunno much about AMD prices, but I know enough to check dem zeros

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Your motherboard is hosed op

I've fixed a few bent pins in the past, with the use of a microscope that I use for doing phone repairs. Those look too badly damaged, and there's too many by the looks of it.
Some pins/pads don't actually do anything and you can get lucky, but that's a lot sadly.

The one I fixed was probably an LGA775 or something, which would be much much "easier" than a modern one with idk 1700 pins, and even that was a fucker. Even when you can see how they are bent with a scope, and have a tool to try to bend em back (a 0.2mm mechanical pencil iirc) they are basically springs and really really don't want to go back at all.
If it was a $500 motherboards and you had a morcosodering type person close by, then it might be worth a check, but I'd guess that it'd be best to replace the board.
Of course, you've nothing to loose, so look up some youtube videos and have at it?
*Actually on second thoughts, maybe a badly "fixed" pin could also damage your CPU, so I'd not actually advise that.*

I once, ironically, dropped the plastic cover thing onto a dual CPU LGA2011 board and totaled it (Valium is a hell of a drug) so I feel your pain

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 4, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I've been posting about my "noisy PSU" drama.
2 different Corsair RM750s, an NZXT 1200C (all RMAd), and a Silverstone Hella 850R.
All were making coil whine/squeaking noise, and eventually I thought maybe it's actually the motherboard.

Well, it was. The ASUS Prime B650M-A WiFi II is the guilty bastard. I got a new Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX today in a last gasp, and it it fine. No noise from the PSU (or anything really)
So, yes, a lovely motherboard can definitely make a PSU squeal. Or 4 different PSUs for that matter. I have a few rather negative Amazon reviews to edit lol.

Nearly a month of this poo poo, loving hell. Last night I happened across a review of 35(!) different B650 boards by Hardware Unboxed/Tech Powerup. The only board they really laid into was mine (and its variants) due to having VRMs that were reading at over 105c. Most of the others are between 60 and 70 for comparison.
Soon as I saw that I stuck the noisy PSU in a box for a moment to silence it, and listened to the motherboard. Now that it wasn't being covered by the PSU racket, I could hear a similar-ish high frequency sound from the (hot as gently caress) power stage. Seems that's what it was all along. A lovely cheap VRM/caps loving with the PSU.

Mystery solved, what a roller coaster of shite it has been. I was even considering returning it all and getting a pre-built at points. lmao

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Can I use one power cable to feed both of my pcie connections on my GPU? Or should this be two separate cables?

I've done both and had no issues with either.

wash bucket posted:

I feel your pain. Some years back I built a PC that had a serious problem and the motherboard ended up being the culprit. But I spent a LOT of time and money figuring that out. Once it was fixed I ended up using that PC for the next 8 years because I was so afraid of going through that again with a new build. Motherboard issues are the worst.

Yeah it was really beginning to sap my confidence in the whole thing. I was "modding" C64s and had my first custom gaming PC built around 2000, but this had me second guessing everything I was doing (or maybe not)

New case comes tomorrow. I think I may have managed to buy the last Fractal North (dark) in the UK so that will be nice. Getting it all off of my makeshift bench setup will make it even quieter (and safer) too.

Now that I think about it, I got the case from Quiet PC (not that it's really a quiet case) and they sold me my first "custom" PC component back in 2001. It was a Zalman CPU cooler. Not the flower type one, an earlier one. Holy poo poo though, what a difference it made compared to whatever delta screamer was clamped on the (I guess) Pentium 4 that was in it.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 4, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Many more cases fit eATX boards nowadays so it is less of a specialty list sort of thing.
Have a look at whatever you like the look of and make sure it is compatible, maybe double check with check a review or two and ask specifics here and you should be good to go.
Id pay as much attention to what else you want to put into it, such as water cooling, multiple gpus, loads of hard drives or, idk loads of fans or something, or none of the above.

As an example, I just got a Fractal North (literally about an hour away from the door atm, yahoo) which is a very mid-sized, standard sort of box and it is speced for eATX, (though it would be tight-ish I guess). There's a newer "XL" version that will of course take eATX too, but with more room to work, and will also fit more/bigger radiators or whatever bits you have.

Now, I seem to remember that "eATX" isn't an actual standard as such, so if you've got some exotic dual cpu server jobbie, then make sure of the actual measurements. In fact, it might not do any harm to make sure anyway.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 5, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

You only need one of the small horizontal bits. The other one is if you have 2 gpus.
I got a similar one with my Gainward card and that bit confused me a bit

They do look a bit cheapo, but if you have a 3 or 4 slot card they are worth using. I was amazed at how much mine was sagging. lmao
There are better looking (and performing) ones that uou can buy for 20 bux or so. I think they are usually called "hidden" or "secret" brackets. They bolt into the motherboard standoffs, or the rear pcie slors

Here's a rather bombastic video showing how these budget frebiee ones work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0knLe3MDzT8

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 6, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

^^^
Nice. I just finished putting all my bits into the North case today as well. Classy looker. I feel like I should be smoking cigars and sipping whisky.
I got another fan for the top, just the same as the front ones, but I'm not sure it really needed it what with being so perforated. Only £12, so no biggie.
I wasn't sure if the power led strip was meant to be sort of gradual, or if it hadn't been fitted evenly, yet still managed to look nice, but now that I see yours I see it is actually a feature.

Found an image that explains those holder things better. That's not even a big one by current standards.
The image was on an actual Amazon product page lol

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 6, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

there is a nonzero chance I might need some advanced scientific software

Does any of that software work better with nvidia or amd maybe?
Will you be using linux with the software? That can have a bearing too sometimes.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Is there a source that compares benchmarks for all the different partner brands of a single GPU model, A 4070 v B 4070. Most of what I can find is different GPU models entirely.

As mentioned, there's so little difference in performance that there's little for them to say, however there are some differences in thermals/noise and of course aesthetics. This youtube channel does a few group overviews of cards
https://www.youtube.com/@TechTesters
Even then, it's pretty light.

Also as mentioned TPU do it too
https://www.youtube.com/@TechPowerUp

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

ISawAPuddyTat posted:

PC newbie here. I was recommended this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tqfk89 list of parts to get a few months back but by the time I had gathered enough money to work with some parts had gone out of stock. What are some parts I could replace them with? I'm looking to get into games such as Helldivers 2 and Darktide and value performance over visuals.

General advice/questions -
I'd advise against buying into the AM4 platform at this point in time unless you have a very specific reason. Was the CPU/Motherboard/RAM part of a package deal at the time or something?
Are you sure you'd be fine with a 21.5" monitor? You can get 24" ones for the same sort of price and it makes a big difference imho. In fact, just having a glance at the Part Picker site there are even 27" ones around the same price.
What is your budget? It's hard to tell from the list due to shortages and whatnot

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

maybe they are dumb fucks who are full of poo poo?

go intel by all means if it makes you happy of course lol

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I had plenty, but it was all because of Asus

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I mean, for you to feel this strongly about it, what’s the hubbub? Is there a comparison somewhere I can check out to see if I’m willing to risk trying AMD after they lost me all that time ago? How much more performant are we talking here?

Just taking a swipe at reddit, no strong feelings, no offense intended.

I note that your post mentions you'll be using Linux though so I've no idea if that makes any difference, maybe some Linux people should weigh in?

Very generally talking (and with Windows in mind) the 7800x3D will perform better in games by a few percent, up to 20 percent (game/gpu/resolution dependent) It also uses about 60W while doing it (it is a 120W part, but never really hits close) so is cooler which would serve you very well if you do decide to downsize from ATX, (as be cheaper to run of course)
Prices vary, but the AMD part is usually about 50 bux/euro/pounds cheaper too. In fact I think even the 14900k is bested by the AMD chip at points, and that fucker is what $550 and runs even hotter.

This isn't some dumb fanboy poo poo, I loving hate that poo poo. All of these companies suck one way or the other. I was badly burned by AMD's bollocks in the past, and avoided them for years, but credit where it is due they have had their poo poo together since 2018(?) Basically, there is no inherent risk in buying either brand as far as drivers and bios issues go (unless Linux is different, someone else can advise if so)

Your PSU will still be fine either way though btw

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Oh I forgot to ask, for the 7800X3D what’s the thread recommended mobo? I used to trust ASUS and their ROG stuff, and I used to strongly distrust MSi but obviously things have changed since Google is telling me the MSi Mag B650 Tomahawk is the best, and it’s under $200 compared to the $480 Intel ASUS board

Here's some fresh ones to definitely avoid. (oh it's been linked already, bah whatever)
Also, the video is also worth a watch to get your head round what is what. Most of the boards on that particular video are actually fine, once you work out what combo of M.2/USB/PCIE you want. The only ones they said to avoid on that was the ASUS "Prime" ones with lovely VRMs, something I personally had issues with.

For what it is worth, I coincidentally ended up with the Gigabyte Aorus Elite that comes out well in both of these videos, I've been very happy with it, but tbh, as long as you avoid the stinkers, and get the combo of features you desires, you should be good to go.
Also, a lot comes down to value and boards seem to vary a lot across different areas, as well as yo-yo inn price. The one I got went from £270 rrp to £200 when I got it, then £170 for a few days, and for some reason £300 (lmao) for a while. No rhyme nor reason, and just makes the whole thing even more bloody complicated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naX-DnKekCM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtHOOyWYiic

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 15, 2024