Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
https://twitter.com/Noctua_at/status/1404725364971216898

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a computer desk that is about 55"-60" in length and >25" in width? Most desks in this size are a few inches too small in width for my liking. I'm using a LG CX48 as my primary monitor so I need the extra width. I've narrowed my search down to this one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086W41GX5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A32G6KYZG6O024&th=1), but I wanted to see if any other goons who have better suggestions. Size is more important to me than any fancy features.

Mods: My bad if this should be in a different megathread - I didn't see specific thread for computer/office desks.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

But he’s just gaming, discord and browser tabs.

In that case, a 3600 should be sufficient, especially if your friend is only gaming above 1080p. A 5600x doesn't really make that much of a difference in that case.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Is anyone here using external DACs rather than the built in DACs on their motherboards? I finally have a good set of desktop speakers to connect to my PC, but there seems to be a common sentiment that the DACs on even high end motherboards tend not to be very good due to the electrical noise from the other components in the system.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I have a 1070 driving a 1080p TV and it can do Cyberpunk at Max/Ultra for reference.

What kind of CPU do you have? It's a lot more important for 1080p performance vs 1440p/4k

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

BurritoJustice posted:

Are arctic P12 still the go-to moderately priced radiator fans?

I'm using ML120 which are actually quite performant for radiator fans at low speeds when the Maglev bearings are extremely quiet, but I've looked into trying out the P12 because I can get them for reasonably cheap and they seem to have better perf/noise over 1000rpm (the ml fans are known to get loud at high speeds). I had Vardar fans before (EK's GT clone), and the ML fans were much nicer subjectively with the smooth ml bearing noise.

Yeah for the most part. If you are able to snag the value packs on amazon, they're definitely the best price/performance fans.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Spacedad posted:

Gamers Nexus has a new particularly thorough PSA about Gigabyte and newegg irresponsibly offloading dangerous exploding power supplies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aACtT_rzToI

Given how bad the reputation is around their RMA and customer service is with their GPUs (RMAs take months, arbitrary voiding of warranty, etc.), I feel bad for anyone needed to RMA that PSU.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Target Practice posted:

Wanted to pop in and thank everyone who helped me out, got everything put together last night and I was maxing out my monitor's 60 fps at 1920x1080 in BFV.

Naturally now I want a new monitor. Is a 5600X / RTX 2080 combo able to do 144hz at 2560x1440 with modern AAA games?

If you use DLSS, turn down (or turn off) ray tracing, and dial down a few graphics settings, you should be able to get in the ballpark, but it is dependent on the game.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Z the IVth posted:

Reposting my proposed build here as I have a question.

I've found a 3600 at a bargain bin price of half that of the 5600x. Given that gaming isn't going to be my priority with this system is there any reason I shouldn't go for it?

Not really. In the future you could upgrade to an Ampere or RDNA2 video card, and a 3600 would be totally fine with them, especially if you're playing at 1440p or higher. That said, a 5600x will have much better application performance outside of games.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Seyser Koze posted:

I started messing around with Newegg's custom PC builder after Dr. Video Games' earlier post. This would be my first desktop in about 15 years, for gaming, game development, and amateur 3D modeling.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($739.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.96 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($127.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($146.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1727.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-11 13:02 EDT-0400

Monitor still to be determined. Newegg has the 3080 listed at $1129, which may or may not still be there whenever I get around to actually placing an order. We'll see. Assuming I'm not concerned about the price aside from trying not to get gouged too hard on a GPU, is there anything glaringly missing/wasted/incompatible on here?

EDIT: specifically, I don't really know poo poo about motherboards to an even greater degree than I don't know poo poo about other hardware

I suggest go with a different AIB model for the 3080. Gigabyte's RMA process is pretty terrible (months long wait times w/o communication, arbitrary warranty cancellations, etc). It's even worse right now since they were recently hacked. Customer service never seems like a big deal until something goes wrong with the card and you have to deal with an obstinate CSR. I'd lean towards EVGA in that respect for long term customer service and their models tend to be less expensive than other AIBs.

mA fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 11, 2021

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Seyser Koze posted:

it's academic anyway since the gigabyte 3080 just disappeared from stock :v:

I assume this goes for the Gigabyte motherboard as well?

Just to clarify, I'm not saying their hardware sucks, they're fine. I have a gigabyte mobo. Chances are you probably won't have major issues if you get a Gigabyte GPU, but godspeed if something goes wrong with it and you have to deal with their RMA system. After having a horrific RMA experience with them over my 3090, I can't overlook how awful it was to deal with their RMA system compared to my experiences with EVGA. I think it's rational to take potential customer service into account before you sink $700-$1,500 into the most expensive component in your system. It took over 3 months to get my card repaired by Gigabyte (with no updates, and no responses when I inquired about my RMA), only to have it break again a week later. After, they offered to send me a weaker replacement card (3080). (I'm not kidding!). Eventually they finally sent me a working refurb, which was almost 6 months after my initial RMA. By that time my EVGA 3090 queue notification came through, so I sold off the Gigabyte card. I still might buy Gigabyte components in the future that aren't too expensive (budget mobos, budget monitor, fans, etc), but not for big ticket hardware like a GPU.

More horror stories here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabyte/search/?q=%20rma&restrict_sr=1&t=year
https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabytegaming/search/?q=rma&restrict_sr=1&t=year
Obviously critical posts will always provide a biased sample, but at the very least, they reveal what you should be prepared to deal with when you buy a Gigabyte component.

mA fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 13, 2021

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

aers posted:

Are Phanteks T30s actually in stock anywhere in the US? I've got them backordered on newegg but not holding out hope since the backorder date just changed from 10/6 to 10/29.
They've been super in demand and selling out almost as quickly as GPUs ever since the reviews started coming out this summer showing it outperforms the Noctua A12. I'm betting there are quite a few on the cargo ships currently idling on the West Coast that are unable to unload.

Also for anyone interested: PC Building Simulator is free on Epic until the 14th: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/pc-building-simulator

mA fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 13, 2021

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

PoizenJam posted:

Well shoot, I wasn't aware! In any case, I couldn't justify the cost increase. I settled on the following build:

Fractal Design Node 304
Ryzen 5600x w/ stock cooler (may be scoring one for cheap; local seller has BNIB that came with unneeded bundle)
MSI B450i Gaming Plus MAX Wifi + BT
2x8GB 3200MHz RAM
1tb NVME SSD

I went pretty cheapo on RAM and SSD to save costs. Like 'Silicon Power' cheap. Unfortunately couldn't source a 550 motherboard that was cost effective for this build.

For the curious- yes, this build will comfortably fit in your standard Ikea Kalax sized entertainment stand/book shelf cubby-hole.

The stock 5600X cooler should be fine, but if you want to upgrade to an inexpensive 3rd party air cooler that runs quieter and keeps temps lower than the Wraith stock cooler, the Vetroo V5 ($25-$30) performance is at level of the much more expensive Noctua U12-S ($70) on a Ryzen 5 CPU.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GXNgPSBq8g&t=850s

mA fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 15, 2021

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
LOL yeah, put the Fuma 2 on that bad boy and you should be good. Its a fantastic dual tower air cooler, and one of the best bang for your buck values especially only for $60.

mA fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 15, 2021

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Seyser Koze posted:

Hey folks, Newegg ended up refunding me for my crushed PC, so I'm here to do this again. Same build as last time, except that I needed to switch to different RAM to be allowed to select the new GPU. I was warned away from Gigabyte cards before; is there anything I should be aware of with MSI?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($739.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($144.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($184.88 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($234.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($224.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA G1+ 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.99 @ Best Buy)
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 ATX Video Card RTX 3080 SEA HAWK X 10G LHR ($1200)

Total: $3046.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-10-16 09:57 EDT-0400

Is there a reason you prefer the Cooler Master AIO over the Arctic Freezer II or the EK AIO? They are chart toppers in terms of performance and both less expensive ($20-$25) than the Cooler Master. If it's RGB, I think both the Arctic and EK have RGB variants, too.

mA fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 16, 2021

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Yeah despite nvidia’s “it’s 4K ready!!!!” Fanfare, we’re just not there. IMO we’re at least 2 gens away from decent, real 4k.

Real 4k is here if you can get your hands on a 3080, 3080ti, 3090 (and probably the 6800XT and 6900XT). These GPUs can run most of the recent AAA games at 4k/60 or higher at high settings natively outside of a few exceptions (Cyberpunk, Flight Simulator). The caveat is that this is without ray tracing on, but at this point it's still mostly a niche feature.

mA fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 20, 2021

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The question is how long can these cards maintain that status for, and I'd wager not very. I don't think we're out of the transitional stage yet, and it'll be a couple more GPU generations before we have cards that can run at 4K top to bottom across the product stack, with the lowest end cards being maybe 1440p cards instead. And that's the point when you can expect to buy a card that will do 4K pretty respectably for 5+ years, much like how the 1080 Ti has that potential for 1080p, or the 3080 has that potential for 1440p.

If you just want to mirror the performance of the PS5's base model for 5 to 6 years, the 3080 will probably be able to do that. But it's worth noting that the PS5 typically fails to hit 4K 60 even at reduced visuals, and not even true 4K 30 is a guarantee with some games. That's what you're mirroring (edit: to be fair, you'll be a bit better than that, but I still wouldn't expect miracles). And we'll probably get new console hardware in a few years that will make the base PS5 and XSX feel rather antiquated. So if the expectation is "The PS5 is a 4K console, so surely the latest and greatest graphics cards will be able to handle games at 4K for just as long," then I think the whole premise is flawed from the start. Despite what Sony and Microsoft would like you to believe, the hardware is just not there yet in the consoles, and it's only barely there on PCs (for now).

It's a segmented market. You're right that it's not widespread at the moment for casual gaming consumers, but it is a viable gaming configuration for enthusiasts who are willing to spend a little bit more on a high end system (3080 and up). I agree that it will probably be a while until 4k is the median resolution, but 4k/60 gaming is not a myth. It's here.

mA fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 20, 2021

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Lazyhound posted:

I finally came up in the EVGA queue, this is the system I’m looking at building (for gaming, in Canada):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($374.99 @ Best Buy Canada)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 5.5 g Thermal Paste (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($214.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($173.99)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($209.99)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 860 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($180.00)
Monitor: LG 32QK500-C 32.0" 2560x1440 75 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1153.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-02 17:43 EDT-0400

Any comments or suggestions? I wouldn’t mind cutting back a bit on CPU/motherboard/RAM since AM4 is EOL.

You could probably save a good chunk on RAM if you went with Crucial or Corsair. G.Skill Trident Z's tend to have a more premium price compared to other brands that have the same speed and timings.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You're not being gimped at that resolution, don't lose your head over it. At 4k you will see literally no difference at all.

If you want to go for a more budget oriented pick for 4k gaming, a 3600 will give you the essentially the same frame rates as a 5600x on the vast majority of games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSxuiWih_Z8&t=627s

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Is there a surge protector of choice right now or just go with whatever isn't obviously cheap garbage?

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-surge-protector/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
A Scythe Fuma 2 would also be a good option. It's very close to the D15's performance at 60% the cost.