Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I didn't rush the gold scarab talisman, but once I got it I didn't take it off. With zero farming, just spending runes I acquired through defeating enemies and using the golden run items, I'm now at level 167 with only Malenia and the Ashen Capital gauntlet left to do. Game is just filthy with runes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Are there any crucible knights that respawn anywhere? Finally getting the hang of their parry windows but they won't stick around :smith:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ariong posted:

Yeah this sort of response bothers me. A lot of times when people express frustration with this they get a response like “well it just isn’t a co-op game, you can’t expect a good co-op experience.” And I’m like.. why not? It could be. God didn’t send Moses down with a stone tablet dictating that Elden Ring co-op must be hampered by interruptions that can only be stopped by vanquishing the lovely netcode.
It isn't a coop or multiplayer game for the sole reason that those two aren't well implemented. If those were well implemented it would work well as a coop or multiplayer game. Agreed and Case Closed imo.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Treat myself to what now?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That's why they call him that.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I just bought the invisibility art from volcano manor and put it on a random weapon, then used that when I got to the rooftops. Much easier to just run past everything.

Also practice the route outside of the evergaol before you go in.

Oh nice -- I've never tried that. I have my plan for this current playthrough.

Does it work against the invisible ground enemies as well as the archers?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I don't think so, but as the previous post pointed out, you can just run to the first one, let yourself get ganked, and then go back. .

You can practice the route outside the gaol to the next 2 so you can invisible, charge to the ladder, and then run across the rooftop.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Zwingley posted:

Are there any crucible knights that respawn anywhere? Finally getting the hang of their parry windows but they won't stick around :smith:

Yes, there are a couple in the endgame who respawn. The one you get to from four belfries might as well, I can’t remember. I don’t think there are any spear types that respawn.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Raygereio posted:

The spritiual succesor to try finger but hole.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I don't think so, but as the previous post pointed out, you can just run to the first one, let yourself get ganked, and then go back. .

You can practice the route outside the gaol to the next 2 so you can invisible, charge to the ladder, and then run across the rooftop.

Nice. Much as I enjoy when a well placed jar cannon shot dislodges those rooftop archers, they really end up being a bigger pain than the ground enemies. I've never tried the invisibility Ash of War. Fun to try something new on like the nth playthrough of the game in prep for the DLC.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ive tried so many different methods of mitigating the albinauric archers in ordina and i havent found anything that makes it truly trivial. rooftop archers are just always gonna be dangerous and scary

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

An upgraded medium shield has always worked for me

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

scary ghost dog posted:

ive tried so many different methods of mitigating the albinauric archers in ordina and i havent found anything that makes it truly trivial. rooftop archers are just always gonna be dangerous and scary

Wear the assassin's armor and sneak.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It's a shame Caelid doesn't have a proper dungeon.

Caelid has a somewhat unfinished feel to it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

radahn and mohg were almost certainly intended to have full legacy dungeons that got chopped for time. my intuition is that bestial sanctum would've been the link down to mohgwyn dynasty proper, since the underground map puts the dynasty at somewhere underneath dragonbarrow, and the sanctum itself is weirdly huge for what amounts to a single room and a scuffed jumping puzzle for two items. it helps explain both dragonbarrow being barren and the odd difficulty spike, since you would've been intended to go there much later in the game as part of a natural north/south duality of progression

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

Vermain posted:

radahn and mohg were almost certainly intended to have full legacy dungeons that got chopped for time. my intuition is that bestial sanctum would've been the link down to mohgwyn dynasty proper, since the underground map puts the dynasty at somewhere underneath dragonbarrow, and the sanctum itself is weirdly huge for what amounts to a single room and a scuffed jumping puzzle for two items. it helps explain both dragonbarrow being barren and the odd difficulty spike, since you would've been intended to go there much later in the game as part of a natural north/south duality of progression

This makes a lot of sense, because I have been wondering why Bestial Sanctum is so dang huge for a long time. I've sat outside the Caelid coliseum looking at all of that sub-structure under the sanctum trying to figure out what could be in there and "cut legacy dungeon" makes a lot more sense than anything I came up with.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Raygereio posted:

they definitely did that on purpose

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Morality_Police posted:

This makes a lot of sense, because I have been wondering why Bestial Sanctum is so dang huge for a long time. I've sat outside the Caelid coliseum looking at all of that sub-structure under the sanctum trying to figure out what could be in there and "cut legacy dungeon" makes a lot more sense than anything I came up with.

Maybe we're going there in a few months!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

When should I stop dumping into arcane and what should I dump into after that

These levels are NG+ or further, holy moly :eyepop:

Honestly you should shave down all of your points for Vigor/Mind/Endurance to 30, you can do pretty much whatever you need to with just that. Take those extra seventy points and repurpose them anywhere else you'd need it to be 👌

White Light fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 16, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I am in NG1

I got by in the first run with carian retaliation glitch, getting by in NG1 by over leveling and gold wave

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

Mustached Demon posted:

Maybe we're going there in a few months!

from your lips to Queen Marika's ear

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

scary ghost dog posted:

A great bow arrow to the face sends them flying. I usually get the assassin armor, then go to the tower where you have to jump on the railings to get to the ladder because that one can't detect you, then you can snipe the other three.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I am in NG1

I got by in the first run with carian retaliation glitch, getting by in NG1 by over leveling and gold wave

disturbing behavior but im still going to give you advice. choose a stat and leave it at base. theres no build that uses every stat and if you try to make one youre just going to make a confusing build that barely works

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Dont listen to them, magic battle priest samurai, i still believe in you

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

disturbing behavior but im still going to give you advice. choose a stat and leave it at base. theres no build that uses every stat and if you try to make one youre just going to make a confusing build that barely works

bring back mundane scaling from

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

For my first playthrough I didn't put a single point into INT or Faith. Now I'm running a Faith main and have only put a few points into anything else than Faith or Vigor.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

scary ghost dog posted:

st trinas torch trivializes godskin fights

This. The requirements of faith are also very low. Other similar torches like Beast Repellant and Sentry are nice to have for their abilities.

FreudianSlippers posted:

For my first playthrough I didn't put a single point into INT or Faith. Now I'm running a Faith main and have only put a few points into anything else than Faith or Vigor.

One of my builds is me literally just pouring the bare minimum to use certain weapons(Blasphemous Blade and a few halberds) and just pouring everything else into Faith, Stamina, and Vigor and setting things on fire.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Like do you burn them with the torch in your left and stab with a regular right hand weapon

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Steve Yun posted:

Like do you burn them with the torch in your left and stab with a regular right hand weapon

You use the torch on your main hand as a second weapon and just bonk them until the sleep procs. The lther torches you just use on your off-hand as needed. Beast repellent trivializes any cave with animals in it including the Spritcaller Cave and Sentry Torch is pretty much mandatory for dealing with Black Knife Assassins.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
sleep procs pretty instantly with st trinas torch’s weapon art

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Just throw sleep pots at them and use proper weapons.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cannot recommend high faith caster or spellblade builds enough. Pretty much any build can be made to be lethal or borderline OP, but pure faith is the most FUN I ever had playing this game. Catch Flame is way underappreciated because it's close range and the starting spell, but sometimes it's more fun to get up close and brawl and it shits out serious damage to both health and posture. Then, it's all uphill from there. Sorcery has some tricks to trivialize a couple bosses, Incants have a way to trivialize every boss

This, sleep pots are way easier and everything you need for them is in limgrave

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lore question:
So we have slash, pierce, and strike damage. So wtf is Standard

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Lore question:

Neutral, neither resisted nor especially effect against anything. Lore-wise it's probably meant to reflect weapons that do their damage both from an edge and the sheer weight of the weapon itself, practically it's to give lighter and dex weapons a bigger niche to fill without which they would just be 100% outclassed by big stupid strength weapons instead of 90%. It's not totally consistent but neither is any other rule in these games, for example the Nightrider Glaive had its standard changed to slash to make it a little less superior to every other halberd, but also to give an easy slash option that has incredibly good strength scaling

edit - well, an option that isn't an incredibly short reach axe like the Warped Axe, which is fun and gets greataxe status effect levels, but is just too drat short

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 17, 2024

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
What's a good vigor to cap at if I want to keep the game a challenge?

I'm finally getting around to playing the game, and having a lot of fun, but as someone whose got a decent amount of Souls experience I'm also one shotting basically all these bosses in Limgrave. I moved into Caelid and it's tougher, but not by a ton.

I was thinking 25-30ish for Vigor. I'm seeing a lot of HAVE TO GET IT TO 60 online which seems overkill?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Lore question:

Chop damage.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

But my finite consumable resources. 😟

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Epic High Five posted:

Cannot recommend high faith caster or spellblade builds enough. Pretty much any build can be made to be lethal or borderline OP, but pure faith is the most FUN I ever had playing this game.

What are some good weapons to look at for pure Faith builds? This will be my last character that I park after Mohg in the lead up to the DLC. I've been using cipher pata and the winged scythe weapon I found in tombsward ruins, but would like to keep a lookout for other options as I plod on.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Listerine posted:

What are some good weapons to look at for pure Faith builds? This will be my last character that I park after Mohg in the lead up to the DLC. I've been using cipher pata and the winged scythe weapon I found in tombsward ruins, but would like to keep a lookout for other options as I plod on.

I did 99% casting, so I just used a Noble's Slender Sword with whatever infusion was handy, usually Flaming Strike with Flame Art scaling. Paired with a lightweight 100% phys resist kite shield, you can punch with the big boys in melee. If you enjoyed the Winged Scythe check out the Halo Scythe, which is basically a direct upgrade to it. The Coded Sword is the straight sword version of the Cipher Pata, also worth looking into. The obvious one is the Blasphemous Blade of course, which is just ridiculously good. Worth carrying just for the heal on kill buff, but it also does great damage and the weapon art hits like a truck with the best element in the game, and heals you like crazy. I'm maybe not the best to ask because I tend to consider somber weapons to not be worth the versatility you give up compared to non-somber.

Best pure faith somber weapon is almost certainly the Envoy's Long Horn, as the weapon art on it is completely cracked and scales 100% off faith and is buffed by anything that increases holy damage AND weapon art damage, and the helm that buffs it is really funny looking. On top of that it's also a Great Hammer, which is the overall best weapon class in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rookersh posted:

What's a good vigor to cap at if I want to keep the game a challenge?

I'm finally getting around to playing the game, and having a lot of fun, but as someone whose got a decent amount of Souls experience I'm also one shotting basically all these bosses in Limgrave. I moved into Caelid and it's tougher, but not by a ton.

I was thinking 25-30ish for Vigor. I'm seeing a lot of HAVE TO GET IT TO 60 online which seems overkill?

i suggest not leveling vigor at all unless you feel like youre dying too frequently