Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sum Gai posted:

Honest question: how many open world games have treasure convoys you ambush? It sounds like the kind of thing that would come up a lot, but I've played a fair number and haven't encountered any.

Mad Max is the one that comes to mind almost immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Anno posted:

It's all asset-streaming issues right?

IIRC, GameInformer or one of the other early reviewers were saying that there were significant memory leak issues on the PC version that required them to constantly restart to maintain acceptable performance.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Wonder if it might be a VRAM issue on PC. My old clunker was able to play RE2R and RE3R at something like 50 FPS on medium settings with zero issue, but stuttering rendered it nearly unplayable unless I cranked my paging file up to an absurd 30gb.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

alternatively FromSoft's track record with optimization, whether for PC or console, is real bad

dark souls 2 ran like a dream on PC on launch :colbert:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

For my closing statement I will say that asking for an actual skyrim-style quest log in Elden Ring (idk if anyone is doing that) would be like asking for an edited version of a horror movie that has all the scary scenes cut out :colbert:

i think a closer comparison would be a netflix horror film with an optional checkbox that enables a warning icon at the top of the screen that tells you whenever a jump scare is about to happen

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Goddammit, I bought the game and am going to play it. :negative:

I wonder if KBM will be good enough or if I'll need to break out the DS4.

I've played every single Souls game with a PC port on KB+M and it's worked just dandy. If you're comfortable with the kind of keyboard piano you need to play something like an MMO, then ER shouldn't be much of a step up.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

sigher posted:

Did you ever feel like one control style was better than the other for certain things?

It's purely a matter of muscle memory, since I never owned a console and have played PC games my entire life. I think the only noteworthy thing I'd mention in my experience is that rebinding/secondary binding dodge roll to RMB is helpful, since it can be hard to tap a single key on a keyboard quickly enough to avoid the game checking for further Sprint inputs.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

PageMaster posted:

Never played any of the souls games; is this a good keyboard and mouse game, or do I need to find a controller for me PC?

It works fine on KB+M, but it does require a certain amount of keyboard piano to fit everything within comfortable reach. If you're familiar muscle memory-wise with using the buttons around WASD for various actions, then you shouldn't have any problems.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

like fully half of those would significantly compromise gameplay lol

"global modification of animation speed" in particular is an absolutely incredible ask both from that perspective and in terms of development / support cost

It wouldn't even be particularly helpful from an accessibility standpoint for a game like Dark Souls, since any gain someone might have from slower tells is compromised by longer persistence of weapon hitboxes compared to iframes.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Traxis posted:

Did he actually contribute or did From just cut him a check so they could use his name?

He contributed some worldbuilding stuff at the very start of the project but otherwise had no interaction with From past that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gorson posted:

PC users having stuttering, please try Network>Launch Setting>Play Offline. Exit the game, come back in. This appears to me to be DRM related or From's lovely netcode. Of course playing offline disables all the things that makes From games From games, but at least you can tell if it's the problem.

School Nickname posted:

According to some online the game is trying to use integrated graphics. On that advice I went to windows settings > screen > advanced graphical elements > browse > choose EldenRing.exe, select "High Performance" as an option. It improved the fps drops on my end greatly. There are still drops below 50 fps but only when I died which is down to a world transition I assume. The caveat is that I'm on the low preset here, but stuttering did occur on my custom preset which was similar.

These two combined made this game completely playable on my ancient-rear end PC, so give them a try if you're struggling.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

can from please stop making bosses who end their combos by backhopping a football field away 8/10 times after they finish their combos

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm getting a passable 50 FPS on 720p on my Ryzen 5 1500X + RX 480 combo, so it's definitely playable even if you've got a garbage system like mine. I still suffer from the occasional slowdown in the open world from what I assume is asset streaming, but everything in the more curated content runs fine. Really feels like the game wants you to explore a good amount before trying to tackle the main scenario stuff; Gundyr had some weird attacks that were hard to dodge, but Margit's got some real horseshit 4-5 hit combos that feel extremely hard to not get caught by if you aren't deliberately trying to bait out specific attacks.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

I am almost certain Margit randomly varies the timing on his swings even if it's the same attack from instance to instance. If that's the case that's part of why that fight is so difficult.

I'm not complaining though, I love it, been awhile since a Fromsoft game tested me like the Margit fight did.

The large windup attack absolutely varies its timing unless you gain distance to force him to use a charge. It's not the first time they've used the trick, but it's making the fight especially tedious when combined with the outrageous backhopping.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Thanks. I'm using kb/m so I've had to learn what keys correspond to what controller buttons, I'm used to it with from games though. I'll just try every key until I find it.

Edit: someone a few posts up said it's G, thanks.

There's actually an option somewhere in the settings that lets you swap between gamepad and keyboard button prompts. Just look for "Gamepad Display" or something like that and you should be able to toggle it to keyboard.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

sigher posted:

Can someone please mod out the loving buffer system From always puts in their games? I mean, lord sometimes it'll buffer a roll a whole second later or someshit.

the one game they've made without an awful input buffer that makes your character feel like a tugboat is, you guessed it, dark souls 2

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Brandfarlig posted:

If you go directly to the hardest early game boss after just starting the game he's going to be hard, yes.

He is significantly harder than any first boss in any From game up to this point, including Gascoigne, and has several reflex checks in the second phase that are batting under the average human reaction time. It's not impossible to do low level with unupgraded weapons, but it is also painstakingly clear that his design is meant to encourage you to go do open world stuff in order to gain higher resistances and more health to be able to tank more hits before you can beat him (or discover the secret item to trivialize his first phase).

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

vandalism posted:

Hey anyone who is just getting into this game, especially people new to these types of games... do yourself a favor and use a gamepad. I don't know if it is mentioned much ITT with how fast it moves, but the mouse and keyboard controls are just atrocious. I tried it and it's so bad compared to ps4 controller. Any controller is good. It's like night and day. Do yourself a favor and try the game with a gamepad :)

this is the one time i will agree and say that you're probably better off going gamepad if you're not willing to gently caress around with custom AHK setups

it shouldn't be that hard to make trivial accommodations for KB+M like separating out sprint/dodge roll into different keys, having separate keybindings for pouch items, or adding in a sprint toggle key to keep my thumb from dying (which, again, game that had this: dark souls 2), but here we are

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pmchem posted:

Biggest annoyance is figuring out what menu / action controller icons map to what keys, as it changes based on context.

You can change the on-screen prompts by going to System -> Sound and Display -> Device for On-Screen Prompts and changing it to Keyboard and Mouse.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Deviant posted:

I guess my confusion with melee builds is how you're supposed to deal with bosses.

It's not like you can block a lot of their big huge swings, and when you try it's just "lmao get rekt nerd"

Which in turn leaves me wondering if i should reroll as a less screwed up caster or figure something else out

The game expects you to dodge roll as a primary means of defense, with some blocking mixed in for specific attacks if you have enough Stamina and a shield with a high enough Guard. Running away from specific attacks - usually ones with big windups and limited range - is also a valid means of evasion. There are a lot of attacks that require almost inhuman reflexes to dodge this time around, so investing in Vigor and some heavier armor (while staying with light/medium equipment load) isn't a bad idea.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Deviant posted:

I guess my experience with this is that if I dodge around, I get caught by big sweeping AOEs or tracking overheads.

You want to counterintuitively roll into the majority of attacks, since the iframes + movement will usually move you out of a weapon's hurtbox compared to rolling away from the attack. With that said, there's certain attacks - especially ones with secondary shockwave AoEs - that are ridiculously hard to time properly, and if you can sprint out of reach, you're better off doing so.

SkeletonHero posted:

Melee runs on Sekiro rules now. Charged heavy attacks and jump attacks deal the most poise damage, find gaps in the pattern to fit those in until you get a critical chance, repeat until the boss dies. R1 spam is exclusively for dealing with trash mobs and hunting critters.

This is extremely important and not telegraphed very well in the game at all. I went from beating my head against the Lingrave Tunnels boss to oneshotting him once I stopped trying to whittle him down and instead went for charged Club R2s to break his Poise. Sure would be cool if they deigned to include a loving visible Poise meter like in Sekiro if they're gonna go that way!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Parries since DS2 have two elements to them: windup frames and active frames. You want an enemy's weapon hurtbox to collide with you while the active frames are on, which is generally when you're actually swiping the shield and not winding up before the swipe.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I definitely miss that aspect of being aggressive with defense and in general how if you are a good boy and just hit the stuff when you're supposed to, it will die and you will win. In this you can dodge all day but never get a hit and die on first mistake. The enemies also don't want to dance with you, they have no honour, they know when your panic instinct is to roll or attack and they take a step back, roll out of distance, maybe even heal.

there's been a weird asynchronous arms race ever since dark souls 1 - and now extending into elden ring - where enemy moveset complexity has increased astronomically while player tools have increased to slow, unwieldy weapon arts and not much else

for a point of comparison, bosses in nioh 2 have the same kind of complex, multihit attacks and shifting between combos, but the player character in nioh 2 has a huge moveset with any individual weapon and highly responsive controls to respond appropriately to any situation with sufficient player skill, while john eldenring still has an input buffer that clears slower than molasses in january

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CYBEReris posted:

im finding that even more than DS3 there's a lot of value in using running to space out and punish attacks especially with jumping attacks, the windows for getting attacks off after rolling sometimes seem even more narrow than anything before.

i'm mostly fighting bosses now by figuring out the rough position i need to be in to manipulate the AI into giving me specific attacks that have more than a half second window to punish

strongly considering rerolling and going whole hog into magic because these fights are getting unimaginably tedious

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I literally don't know how to stop getting the "Cannot summon cooperators" error.

I got really close with Godrick though. Literally got him to 1/3 health before phase two, somehow. Still died thank you dark souls.

DS3 on PC had a similar issue with matchmaking for most of its early life (and probably most of the rest of its life, knowing from), and i imagine the combination of immense matchmaking server load + them having to slap easy anti-cheat onto the game after the RCE came out isn't helping

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

roomtone posted:

where is this siofra river everyone keeps talking about

head to the minor eldtree in mistwood, to the east of the starting area, and look for the mausoleum-looking building

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dropbear posted:

Yeah, gave it a couple more tries and it seems like a hard stat wall. In second phase he just spams so much that even if I dodge literally everything, I run out of stamina before he lets up for a split second & his next 462 attacks in a row demolish me. Blocking is even worse of a stamina-sink.

Try to keep him at one end of the arena or the other. The second you see him pull out a longsword during phase two, dodge away twice to the other end of the arena and then sprint to outrange it. It's rarely worth it to try and dodge through his multihit combos. This is an effective way of dealing with most bosses that have absurd combo chains, especially branching combos.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

without the months long input buffer, how else would we get such classic dark souls moments as pressing the dodge key 0.25s too slow once, getting hit by an attack, and then having the dodge buffer after your hitstun ends so that you roll immediately into another attack and die

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bardeh posted:

according to my Steam achievements, 23% of people have beaten Leonine Misbegotten, and 42% Margit, so it really does look like most people are bashing their heads against the most difficult initial path instead of taking some time to explore and get stronger

i think it's a completely understandable issue since from's past decade of work has been games where repeatedly beating your head against the next boss in sequence until you win is the core thrust of gameplay, and elden ring looks and smells so much like DS3 that it'd probably pass a taste test

i know miyazaki likes being obtuse, but if we've reached the point of having popup tutorials, having the maiden tap you on the shoulder and say, "hey, dude. maybe you should try exploring some more and getting stronger first" after death #5 might not've gone amiss

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

you explicitly can't have ash summons while having human beings summoned, so it sounds like npc summons are exempt from that rule

you can absolutely ratfuck bosses with an NPC summon and ashes, yeah. it's very explicitly the easymode "do you just wanna fire off magic in the background" option

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pentyne posted:

I've come back around on the Rapier. It's an excellent 1v1 weapon, and for some reason extremely effective at disrupting them? When fighting the spear/shield knights I can just R1 them to death because every attack interrupts their action. Super efficient at the stamina too.

elden ring likely uses the exact same poise system as DS3, where enemies are staggered by every hit unless they're doing an attack that gives them hyperarmor, and i doubt the spear knights have any of those

some of the later enemies, like the axe soldiers in stormveil, get hyperarmor when prepping a swing and will absolutely murder light weapon users if you don't block/dodge

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pentyne posted:

so other then raising "discovery" through Arcane is there any way to improve drop rates?

you can eat a silver-pickled fowl foot to temporarily boost discovery, and, much like in other from games, i assume there's a handful of individual armor pieces that boost item discovery out there

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

simply use kb+m, god's chosen instruments, and then set up AHK macros to toggle sprint + run forwards for the best in "comfy gaming"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RevolverDivider posted:

Oh god this is loving horrifying. It’s apparently not a bug with input delay it’s a change from the previous game to roll on release instead of roll on press

Really hope that through some miracle this gets patched or I’ll have to beg for a refund

yep, and it loving stinks

if you're on PC, you can do what i did, which is set up an AHK macro for a specific button to make it register keypress down on your dodge and then immediately register keypress up, and then just bind sprint to a different button

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RevolverDivider posted:

Nope, on PS4. I’m gonna put it down for a month to play other things and pray to god they patch this

it was similarly slow in DS3 so i wouldn't hold my breath too much

one day fromsoft's r&d will advance up the tech tree enough to figure out how to separate out the dodge roll and sprint buttons, but that day is not today

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nuebot posted:

Aside from the map button not also canceling the map, here's a weird complaint about this game: why do half of the greatswords and colossal swords require faith to use? Like not even a tiny amount either, a lot of them require 20+

it's a way for miyazaki to make faith builds technically viable

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Barudak posted:

Im kind of dissapointed how many minibosses/bosses get reused. Like yeah, it happened in Dark Souls but these are literally the same exact dudes just with some variation in HP pools.

similarly, every side dungeon having exactly two tilesets (stone ruins or generic caverns) with the same exact lighting and boxy neverwinter nights-style layout is really harshing my exploratory groove

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cuttlefush posted:

Pretty sure it still has that quirk and that you have to rebind the double inputs for attacks to single inputs every time the game launches.

it was this, yeah. they hosed up something with the input registry so that the option that enabled the game to read double clicks as separate inputs was turned on every time the game started

even in spite of that, i still sincerely appreciate the fact that from put genuine effort into DS2 to provide more options for KB+M players. it still beggars belief that i have to rely on AHK to toggle sprint in elden ring instead of it just being a basic keybind

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, I just beat it myself but that’s the first fight where it felt like I needed to come back when I could win the damage race instead of learning the patterns. Misbegotten warrior wasn’t too hard to rush down before his friend joins in, but crucible knight just doesn’t seem to have any reliable openings.

I think someone else posted that you can parry a lot of his attacks, so maybe that’s the trick, but it was really miserable with a two handed weapon.

crucible knight actually has a hilariously exploitable opening: his shield slam will completely whiff if you strafe into his shield side sufficiently, which gives you more than enough time to get off a charged heavy attack. i dunno if the recovery frames on greatweapons are too long or not, but i was able to reliably get a full charged heavy off with the battle axe and dodge away from his retaliation after. you can usually whack his shield once if he's blocking in phase 1 and he'll almost always try to shield bash, so you can reliably push him into phase 2 easily via guard breaking

the second phase is a lot harder, but i never saw him use his tail swipe when two-handing, so that's a fairly reliable opening. his tail swipe also seems to whiff a lot if you hug his butt, even without dodge rolls, but he combo chains too much to use that to reliably punish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'll give this to from: this game has the best iteration of lightning spear out of any game they've made so far. comes out lightning (heh) fast and does pretty good damage for the cost