Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Aidan_702 posted:

I can't imagine any other game where GRRM's involvement makes so much sense but it also so wasted. What are there like two people in the world only interested because Big George is helping?

This could've been in collaboration Henry Kissinger and I'd be throwing a £200 pre-order at them if they asked

From the minds of the people who brought you the most important game of the last decade and the most infamous war in American history comes.. Bloodborne 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

i agree with that dude the studio that made bloodborne and sekiro hasn't reallly progressed visually from demons souls.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Very much looking forward to elden ring 2: the search for more fidelity

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

This game looks too much like dark souls and also it is too different from the souls formula. I know that I will never be satisfied and that this is my lot in life.

Astrochicken fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 5, 2021

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

just read the leaks and I can't believe the last boss of elden ring is your mom

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

not an approach i'm a big fan of, but true, if you ALWAYS want to be the aggressor in every fight this will absolutely have you covered

also much as i meme about hammers i've been meaning to do a dagger run of DS3 one of these days, they attack so fast that i bet you can get damage in during wind-ups vs. most enemies and still have time to dodge afterwards

dagger w/ the sidestep only no other weapon is the true alpha playthrough

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

the bosses in this game seem way more gently caress you than any other souls game.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

this is the first souls game i don't feel motivated to play.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

this is easily the worst dark souls game. boring setting. boring bosses. even the generic nameless horseman boss with golden armor has epic endgame music. everyone has an epic 2nd form and a new set of even lamer moves. convoluted boring story. it's like a parody of a dark souls game. gonna go replay sekiro. thanks for listening.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm on my third playthrough and what i'm coming to realize is that i dislike Elden Ring's combat because it expects the player to be as passive as the older Souls games even though it's Sekiro / Bloodborne fast

i've always said that Souls combat got better as it got faster and i stand by that. the problem with ER isn't the speed, just like it wasn't the problem in DS3

the problem is that in Sekiro, and I'm guessing Bloodborne just by reputation, the player can and indeed should usually be the one instigating at least half the exchanges in combat. you're pushed to be aggressive, pro-active, not just fast, and rewarded for it.

i think even in Dark Souls 3 the "intended" way to play is a lot like Elden Ring, you're supposed to wait, observe, see the boss commit, and only attack afterwards. it's just that, with slower bosses than Elden Ring, you can kind of ignore that "intended" gameplay loop and play extremely aggressively in Dark Souls either by having a very fast weapon or because it's easier to hit enemies (even bosses) out of animations

but in ER if you do that you get smacked in the face from 50 meters away. you almost can't ever afford to instigate, and any of the tools that allow you to do so -- frost and bleed weapons (whose procs can fake-stagger even bosses who are normally immune to stagger), weapon arts or spells with extremely long range but also quick startup, etc. -- are so alien to the game's mechanical framework that they're overpowered, trivializing combat rather than just being strong, because nothing in Elden Ring was built around the assumption that you should be able to interrupt it

conversely in Sekiro, you can prevent a boss from acting for a second or two, usually, by being hyper-aggressive -- but then some invisible meter fills up and their next block will be a perfect parry and it'll be their turn again. Elden Ring wildly overtunes bosses when they're acting on their own initiative, but there's no mechanic for them to take back the initiative if the player finds one of the few cheese techniques that outright shuts them down. it's extremely all-or-nothing, which makes it far less satisfying

e: i realized this watching the slvl 1 Malenia run someone posted a few pages back, with the huge list of voluntary things he doesn't do. all the guy does in that is watch for her to start doing an animation, and then step out of the way. the one or two times he attacks prior to seeing her commit, he takes damage or only barely avoids it.

This is on point.

Elden Ring feels like a continuation of the Dark Souls 3 dlc difficulty arc. Every boss feels like hyper-Gael.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

The chicken is definitely feeling a little less suicidal with this patch.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

I parried the poo poo out of the crucible knight with a buckler and dare i say i have john sekiro to thank for it.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I would actually like a three crucible knight fight in an open area.

That would be pretty insane

My three crucible knight moon shirt agrees.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Calaveron posted:

The guy who designed the Gargoyles enemy is just so loving proud as pigshit of them isn't he?

Im happy I more or less got sword/axe movesets down but twinblade means i stay back to avoid flashy spinny slicey

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Goldmask rules. Really, wearing a loincloth, and a sun mask, and pointing at trees while my finger rhythmically gyrates in deep cogitation about the problem of the golden order is just what im all about.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

i've never completed solaire's quest, and i don't think i even knew seigmeyer had a quest til like last year.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

You know what this game could use? Lost Ark-style instant resurrection using premium currency. Make it like 10 cents a pop so 10 per 99 cents or like 40 for 2 american dollars they'd make a bajillion trillion dollars.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

porfiria posted:

I feel like FROMSOFT DLCs tend to be pretty out of left field. Remember when everyone thought the the DS3 DLC was going to be Londor?

In conclusion, the Elden Ring DLC will be Godrick's Vacation Home.

It'll likely be a whole new demigod or a series or random areas linked by some new-ish npc.

alternatively, Elden Ring: The Squared City

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

a kitten posted:

You can put the snake b gon in your left and and zap him with L1 while still using your normal right hand weapon, this works pretty good and is what I did the first time.

Or, you can use it in your right hand and clown on him with cool and crazy laser wind(?) beams that sweep the room and just remember to not stand in the fire and occasionally dodge

Two hand the poo poo out of that thing and whack whack whack the snake!

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

just went up against maliketh on my 3rd character and did it this time without summons and it was super rewarding. Idk, i kinda think i understand what they were going for with summons.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

IronicDongz posted:

it's only very loosely related to the actual point and he's just reading page after page of it as dryly as possible
he just wanted to read some dostoevsky and found an excuse. it's so so much more specifically about the hypocrisies of christianity than anything to do with the concepts behind the frenzied flame

He found an excuse to share literature how dreadful

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Melina is Hillary.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Ive been sick the past week and have been gorging fromsoft lore videos which sorta culminated in a string of eldenring lore videos yesterday and this morning and. Heres what i have to say. Everything in my gut told me that elden ring would be a huge jump the shark moment in souls adjacent gaming. How the gently caress did they manage to surpass bloodborne in creating the most unhinged and needlessly deep intricate expansive lore, the kind that only increased replay value as you read more into it. God loving damnit.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Vermain posted:

yeah, they all more or less trade off a single attack token between themselves now. there's a couple rare moments where an inactive enemy will lob a spell or something, and i think they're programmed to attack if you get too close for too long regardless, but they're otherwise tag-team matches moreso than brawls

Honestly as it should be. Like phase two of sister friede.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

I like the image and it's possible implications but i super duper think it's a piece of concept art that they slapped on a tweet to satisfy the expectation of there being SOME announcement a year after the game's release. Maybe i'll be proven wrong when it comes out a year and a half from now.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Would you like to be able to punish the Tarnished if they follow their first, second, or third instinct during combat? Well, we here at the Dancer of the Borreal Valley School of Enemy and Boss Design are now accepting applications!

Astrochicken fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 9, 2023

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

CJacobs posted:

Orphan of Kos is my favorite of the Fromsoft bosses with an answer for every thing you can do after being hit. Every input from attack to heal to dodge. No matter which direction you tilt your analog stick. It will find a way to swing at you a second time from any angle so get ready because here comes the yo-yo placenta!

It's almost been 10 years. they need to remaster Bloodbourne for the sake of artistic preservation at this point.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Untended Graves still feels like the biggest gently caress you, i love it. Did anyone ever figure what it even meant?

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

I weep for the people who may never get to experience a full playthrough of bloodbourne bookended by the laurence the first vicar boss fight. Still get chills thinking about the track that pays as you fight him. But also with like 10 other moments in the game too.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

They should put bloodborne on pc to help with the effort to reappropriate cone hats from the silent hill series.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Jose posted:

something i missed on my first playthrough and it took an age to locate where the voice was coming from. best helm in the game for sure even if my weapon clips through it

O' mountain of fire! Bake me in your flames!!

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

I find myself wishing fast travel were not available early and/or often.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

What gets me about the difficulty of Elden Ring is i'm not sure there's a way you're supposed to beat some of these bosses. like, maliketh phase two will punish you for attacking, and punish you for running. you can memorize attack combos and patterns, but those can all end prematurely, or seem to extend indefinitely, but at the moment you least expect will end with a giant explosion that gives you a life draining dot after chunking 3/4 of your health in one hit, and then add on a sekiro aoe storm slash thing that can't be dodged or blocked. Maliketh is straight up a parody of a souls boss. yes i'm replaying the game and i'm on death 15 for this shithead, why do you ask?

I get hyped up to replay elden ring and think about what i'm gonna do in ng+ and then i get to the boss slog at the end and drop it.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Epic High Five posted:

The best approach I've found for Maliketh is just massive alpha damage. +poise damage tear, high poise attack like Lion's Claw, every buff you can manage, and just go apeshit. With the exception of his explosion, you're safer by his butt than you'd expect, but really I only ever did my damage when he was recovering from his big combo and massively stacking holy resist for in between.

yeah i'm going aggro but just get unlucky. i'm just gonna level some and take my anger out on the banished omen in the capitol sewers, as Marika intended.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

I decided to install Elden Ring Reforged and I just whipped Godskin Noble by deflecting half of his hits and two handing a rapier. Mod fun. Game fun.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

finally, a quest log and compass!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Barudak posted:

Im doing as much as possible without killing any rune bearing bosses. Radahan is tragically a bit load bearing.

the outer gods are still laughing at the greater will for using "load-bearing empyrean"