Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm getting "Network status check failed" every time I try to hit the log in button. I googled it and the internet told me its basically due to overloaded servers. A lot of you guys experiencing this error?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Anybody else unable to get online on their Xbox? I've been having the Network status check failed error all morning.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Just how much did I actually miss if people are level 25 before Margit and I'm level 2 lmao? How is the game this big?

I'm still pretty negative on the crafting though. It doesn't really add anything to me.

e: Def goin' Quality though for a build, those spells look loving sick

I mean, it's an open world game. You can just run around and find caves and poo poo.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel like I did a lot of that lmao, it took hours to even be able to level up. I thought maybe runes were just rarer than souls

I dunno, I'm level 20 and am on the 2nd boss in the big castle. I have about 6 hours and killed like 3 little cave bosses.

I think I am gonna level up a bit more cause this guy is rough.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have this little red square on my status bar with a down arrow. I'm assuming it means an HP reduction of some kind, but I have no idea what's causing it. I even unequipped everything and it's still there.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

You have this because you let the lady hug you. it trades HP for poise.

Right! Thank you.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bedlam posted:

Hey guys

Talk to the shop Santa until he gives you a gesture and do what he says. That questline is rad

I looked away for a second and missed what gesture he gave, what was it

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So I haven't done any co op due to Xbox online being broken, and I'm wondering how the "summon pool" things work. Does it just send you to somebody's little dungeon or whatever when they use it?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Relin posted:

saw a thin blue vertical beam by a bonfire, what was that

You misclicked and placed a map beacon. Click it again to get rid of it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Flytrap posted:

gently caress BEAR

The bears are such massive assholes. Fortunately the wolf summon helps a lot cause somehow the bear has bad aoe.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Somehow I've played for like 14 hours and failed to find the pot NPC... someone please help me...

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Heath posted:

What the gently caress are you people talking about "first boss" "second boss" I have not found any of the bosses you guys are talking about

Did you talk to the guy with the mask after the tutorial area. He points you towards the castle where the first and second story bosses are.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Heath posted:

Tutorial?? :confused:

Did you jump into the hole of knowledge.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

I want to get this game but half the reviews on Steam are about how it is literally unplayable because of poo poo performance and stuttering so bad the combat becomes impossible. To what extent has that been a problem for you all?

You know that picture of the plane with all the bullet holes? The ppl said "we should put armor in the spots where the bullet holes are in the planes that come back". But a smart guy said "no, put armor where there aren't bullet holes, because these are the planes that survived the damage, so they dont need armor where they got hit".

Its the same thing with steam reviews on a game that just came out. Everyone having a good time is not posting poo poo on the internet... they are playing the video game lol. Well ok we are posting poo poo, but there's definitely a big discrepancy between the two groups.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
land octopus ovary

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

a kitten posted:

Can you buy or find the various classes starting gear? Reasonably early would be great, but even later would be alright. I had fun starting out naked, but some of that stuff looks pretty cool.

Yeah I found a nomad merchant with the samurai (reed) armor eventually.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Where the heck are the teleporting chests?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

Im kind of dissapointed how many minibosses/bosses get reused. Like yeah, it happened in Dark Souls but these are literally the same exact dudes just with some variation in HP pools.

I've seen a lot of sick as gently caress bosses, so I'm not complaining yet.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Major spoilers in regards to the friendly npc at the start of stormveil castle: I am pretty sure I fought and killed him inside the outer ring of the leyndell city walls, in the battleground area. But like, it felt kind of out of nowhere. Did I miss a quest with him somewhere? Last time I saw him he was stamping on godricks head.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr. Kurtz posted:

I audibly said "holy loving poo poo" when I first got there.

Am I alone in having found Godrick way easier than Margit? The former was just way easier to learn imo.

The summons for the first guy made him pretty easy for me, cause he would get staggered. The 2nd guy had a lot more aoe and would take out my summons easily and quickly.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

bike tory posted:

Do the ash summons fall off in power as you progress, or do they stay fairly powerful and useful?

So far I've found having a summon there to distract bosses makes them a lot easier, so I'vr been inclined not to use them because I like the process of learning how to respond to a boss' attacks and poo poo*. But the summons are also really cool so I'm conflicted on that.

*(this is a personal preference, not looking to start a slapfight about whether players should feel obliged to handicap themselves or seek out more difficulty in order to "properly" enjoy this game or whatever)

You can upgrade them, but idk if npcs have ever been that good vs late game bosses. The best part about them is making outdoor mass encounters easier by distracting enemies.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I discovered something really funny about the mining dudes in the caves. if you walk up behind one that's digging away and collect the materials that he's poking at, he'll aggo on you. Whereas usually they completely ignore you.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm fuckin loaded with smithing stone 5s and 4s but i cant upgrade my weapon until i find one more 3...

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mailer posted:

Jesus gently caress Radahn. I figured I was doing something wrong so I checked youtube and the only sorc run is eight minutes of a guy who has to be like level 200 getting lucky. Everything else is beefy guys in armor who can chug a heal in the middle of the spear wave and live. Best I've done is 30%. I like how his melee strikes are the same range as my spells and if he turns after you cast you die.

Get on yo horse!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I got a +16 weapon and suddenly I feel like I can take on anything!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

algebra testes posted:

Am I the only one that sells the boss drops for like 20,000 souls each time?

If you dont want the boss weapons then thats the only other thing theyre good for.

I'm a collectibles freak so I never sell them like that, I get the boss weapons.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

beep by grandpa posted:

Need some help - I finally stumbled upon where to unlock using the Great Rune that I got from Godrick but I am sitting on a mountain of regular runes that I don't seem to be able to use (jump attack damage, etc)

Ok so the jump attack thing is a talisman. It's basically the same thing as a ring except you unlock more talisman slots by finding these items called talisman pouches.

Great runes just sit in your inventory and do nothing, until you use a Rune Arc consumable item which activates their special buff.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

What method are people using for weapons switching with Samurai? It seems very awkward, from 2 hand bow I'm having to press right twice on the d pad then R+Y to get back to 2 hand sword? I don't normally play this type in DS so I don't remember having to do this.

The new process for switching weapons and two handing is a little cumbersome but I'm getting used to it. I don't think you need to press the d pad to go from bow to sword if the bow is in your left hand and the sword in your right. You should just be able to hit y+r1 two times. I think its two times. I did this a bunch while fighting godrick to get free bow shots at him when he did the earthquake move.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

God, I just wanna play so much more that i'm moving up to the lake area but... work. gently caress.

same

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Finally ran into a boss where I had to whip out a shield to fight. I like that sort of thing about these games where sometimes the best option is to break out of whatever tactic you've been using.

Sir Alonne helped me beat them, too, which was fun (not an NPC lol, a guy cosplaying as the dark souls 2 boss). What was even funnier was they used a shield too.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

External Organs posted:

Has Xbox multiplayer been hosed up since launch? I still haven't been able to play in online mode.

I was getting the Network status check failed error until Saturday night when it randomly updated to 1.02.1 or whatever. I did not do anything to get it to change.

Im playing in the US if that means anything.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

CYBEReris posted:

definitely feels like bosses give way too little for how difficult they are. i miss beating a boss in ds2 and being able to get like 10 levels off it

Ds2 was pretty unique in that regard.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

The cutscene between the Godrick phases is so good.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

Fun fact about this: he actually cuts his hand off in-game not just in the cutscene, in most cases the timing is so swift it switches to the cutscene as soon as he swings the blade. The attack will actually hurt you though.

Yeah I almost got killed by it one time lmao.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

also Fromsoft turned the Obscuring Ring into a talisman that only works while crouched lol

the filthy casul is coming from inside the studio

It is a little disappointing that invasions are so limited.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

i'm going to be pretty lol if all these reports of top tier magic being poo poo are because all these people have been using the magic equivalent of the drake sword

edit: or i guess more accurately the oolacile ivory catalyst

I have a feeling most people haven't cracked open magic yet. I'm not gonna do a magic run until I know where all the good poo poo is. Like I'm gonna need a talisman that plain buffs magic damage, which I might have already or it might be one for incantations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

summoning is insanely strong. after initially thinking it was worthless i've found i really like the jellyfish summon -- it's stationary, but has a super long-range projectile attack that debuffs enemy damage, and it also has a shitload of health, so either a situation where you tank for your jellyfish or where your jellyfish draws aggro for you is equally good

i also recently got an elite summon of a perfumer lady who applies a damage shield (or did when she was a boss fight, anyways), but i don't have enough FP to actually summon her lol

Ya I think I'm gonna put some points into mind to use some of these summons.

Also the wolves helped trivialize the Raya lucaria boss.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

thehoodie posted:

Pro tip: the rune items sell for the same amount they're worth, so no need to menu out of a merchant (still have to menu out to level up tho).

I was worried about this and for some reason never decided to test it after almost 50 hours of gameplay.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

totempoleman posted:

Finally got to Margit after hearing how hard he is and somehow beat him on my third try. Is the gold summoning by his door OP, or was I overleveled (I was level 21-22ish). I'm trash at this game and expected to spend a loooong time on that boss.

The npc summon helped me a lot on that fight too. I think you were probably a higher level than the majority of ppl who spent a long time on him. I'm trying to recall what level I was but I'm pretty sure I wasn't quite level 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i tried that for a couple runs but really, that boss fight is disturbing enough without "oh yeah, i loosed a pack of wolves on a bunch of congenitally disabled children" :v:

Fuckin lol

I couldn't help but be reminded of the scene in Evangelion when ritsuko kills all the clones