Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So this is probably a really dumb question but how do you open the evergaols I've been playing co-op with a friend and for the life of us this has us stumped. There's clearly something there, but nothing hints at what to do as far as we've noticed and it's driving us insane.

Vermain posted:

He is significantly harder than any first boss in any From game up to this point, including Gascoigne, and has several reflex checks in the second phase that are batting under the average human reaction time. It's not impossible to do low level with unupgraded weapons, but it is also painstakingly clear that his design is meant to encourage you to go do open world stuff in order to gain higher resistances and more health to be able to tank more hits before you can beat him (or discover the secret item to trivialize his first phase).

I found he was just kind of trivialized if you were super aggressive and hopped around like an MMO player in PVP. Just spam those jump heavy attacks and you'll knock him down, a lot. Which has been my go-to strategy for the whole game now, so far the only thing it hasn't worked on has been the big tree knight guy next to the first grace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: I think "The Chest" is gonna be a meme soon.

I loving LOVE reading peoples reactions: https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/t0y1rv/i_opened_the_chest_i_want_to_go_home/

"I opened the chest - I want to go home"

Fun fact, if you like me have been playing co-op: you literally can not open that chest and it just becomes an infuriating thing I thought was bugged.

Oneiros posted:

r2's and jumping attacks are important :ssh:

Very much so.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

It's a little weird but at least one of them requires those sword keys things (look for imp statues), and if they're glowing you can just stand on them and go in. If they're not letting you do that when summoned you might need to try summoning after you get in. The gaols have a weird overlaying with the game world so it might even be possible for your friend or you to lay the summon sign outside and have it visible in the goal? Might want to try that. All I know is, is there's a gaol where you can summon an npc for it when you get into it.

Probably not doable in co-op. A lot of things, area transitions in particular, aren't doable in co-op. It makes sense; but since there were a lot of bloodstains around them I'd assumed activating the thing summoned the boss to you, rather than taking you to the boss. Thanks for the answer!

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

i haven't gotten a chance to fire up Elden Ring yet, but man, if this dude is actually a harder first boss than Gascoigne....

I was doing it co-op and it took us a very long time to down him, the boss is no slouch but it didn't feel, to me at least, especially trashy or bad. The patterns were pretty simple and were mostly variations on the same handful of attacks that made it really easy to slip up even if you had support. It has me excited to see what else the game throws our way.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So what's the deal with all these ashes I keep finding? I get that I can like, transfer special abilities to weapons I guess, but is that all? Also when/where can I enchant my stuff?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I've found what I'm willing to stake my life on is the worst boss in the game. The Ulcerated Tree Spirit Never mind the poo poo place you have to go through to reach it: the arena you fight it in is a tiny box that janks up the camera and the boss its self is just a whirling mass of garbage. It's bafflingly hard to tell front from back, and identify what animations are it just moving, because it does just flail freely around the arena at will, and which ones will just instantly kill you. If not for the fact that I'd have to go through this lovely dungeon again to reach it, I'd just not bother and come back later.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MShadowy posted:

Eventually I stopped being mad at this guy, just because of how ridiculous getting repeatedly clobbered by a self yeeting firey tree dragon became; that being said giant enemies in tiny rooms that hurl themselves all over the place are a pain to keep track of. One of the big issues with Ulcer Boy is that because he moves around so much there arise instances where the timing to successfully dodge an attack can change significantly, which was especially troublesome with the grab move he has. Eventually I figured that out, and finally beat it a little while ago. Didn't bother counting how many attempts it took me, but it was a lot.

Yeah my issues with the boss came down entirely to not being able to see or tell what attacks were coming when half the time. So I'd dodge when he was just worming away, and I'd be out of stamina when he'd actually attack. Or I'd dodge thinking it was a tail swing when it was a face plant. My friend put it best by saying it was a boss that wouldn't even be a blip on the radar if it was either like, 25% smaller or the room was 25% bigger.

Anyway, anyone know how the dual wielding works in this game, if at all? I still haven't found another great, or colossal, sword of any kind so I can't test it out yet.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Everyone and their mother is invading in Stormveil and it's making progress absolutely miserable playing with my friend who insists on playing only co-op. At this point, with all the other QoL changes, I really wish invasions were just full on opt-out. Almost every invader either just squats by an enemy pack, or hides in a corner for their full invasion duration until they can backstab which turns it into a turtle match either way.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

You can’t get invaded if you’re playing solo, so that’s only happening because he insists on playing co-op.

Yes, I know. I just want to finish getting through the area with them but every time we make a few rooms of progress after dealing with, or letting one go home, another shows up. I'm probably going to blitz through the area myself tomorrow night.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

KidDynamite posted:

this sucks i guess if you beat magrit or godrick before talking to her she's gone. Wonder if she's the lady who showed up at the round table after I beat godrick? She mentioned me talking to her when I hadn't.

Yeah it's weird. I talked to her and she asked me to do something. Then I beat margit and walked past the shack, talked to her and she acted like I'd done the thing she wanted and hosed off to the round table. I think it might be a bug.

beep by grandpa posted:

Me and my best friend Colonel Jellyfish just dispatched this craven fiend by breaking his AI at about the 50% mark. We broke his will to fight

I beat it in a similar way. It hit a wall just right and just froze for the rest of the fight.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

queeb posted:

oh neat, I'll see if I got that. I went back but D was missing from that spot I found him in. I'll have to look around.

After you beat pinwheel 3.0 whether or not you've spoken to him, he goes to the round table.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Aside from the map button not also canceling the map, here's a weird complaint about this game: why do half of the greatswords and colossal swords require faith to use? Like not even a tiny amount either, a lot of them require 20+

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I don't know if I'm just breaking the game or what, but has anyone else noticed that co-op seems to be tied to certain, sometimes arbitrary, bosses? Me and my friend killed the tree sentinel and then couldn't summon in the first area anymore. Even when we went down to the nearby swamp to try and summon one another to fight the boss down there. So for anyone else who might be playing with friends: make sure you clear out an area before you beat bosses.

Leo posted:

Anyone have a favorite strength weapon so far? I really like the bricklayer mace or whatever but feel weird upgrading something that doesn’t seem like it should be that good.

The Greatsword. But I just found the Zweihander so I'm gonna upgrade that and see how it do.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Has anyone else's game been crashing more since the maintenance? Because mine's been crashing multiple times a session now and it sucks.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I found two night-exclusive bosses almost right next to eachother. in Caelid if you just go left right after Gowry's shack there's some kind of lovely death bird that shoots a lot of cold fire and is a huge pain in the rear end until it jumps off a cliff, and a bit further down the road is a shadowy man on horseback I haven't fought yet.

Queering Wheel posted:

Mid-late game question: are there any ridiculously huge, hard hitting pure strength weapons I should be gunning for? I'm talking like, Yhorm's great machete or dragon bone smasher equivalents. Haven't found anything that's that ridiculous yet.

There are the usual stable of big axes, swords and clubs as well as a few other weird outliers in this game. if you want one early on follow the northern limgrave road all the way into the red hellhole to find a cart guarded by hosed up monster dograts: it's in that cart.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dual wield trip report for anyone else like me who's been on the fence or simply hadn't had a chance to try it yet: I finally got a second colossal sword to try it out and with a second one slapped on I can still use my right hand weapon like normal, L1 gives me an attack with both weapons while L2 uses my right hand weapon's Ash. Is power stancing still in this game?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gotcha, automatic then! I can't wait to actually use it in combat.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

CYBEReris posted:

definitely feels like bosses give way too little for how difficult they are. i miss beating a boss in ds2 and being able to get like 10 levels off it

Big bosses give a decent chunk. I got like five levels off of Margit when I beat them. But also tonight I beat a boss co-op and got less than a thousand souls from it so, you know. Land of contrasts I guess. Also it's absolutely silly to me that phantoms can invade in dungeons, and not just big ones like stormveil. Way too many times I've been in a mine-style dungeon, gotten the invade just as we were heading down, only for the phantom to spawn at the top and just get to plunging attack down.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

what the gently caress how???

Goddamn this game just has too much content

The map keeps getting bigger. I step into a new area and it just expands. Then I step into a teleporter and the map doubles in size. Then I go down a hole and there's an entire second layer. If there's any DLC for this game down the road, I honestly can't wait to see it given the track record they have for the soulsborne games.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Fun fact about this: he actually cuts his hand off in-game not just in the cutscene, in most cases the timing is so swift it switches to the cutscene as soon as he swings the blade. The attack will actually hurt you though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Phoix posted:

I've probably done ~30 invasions since getting the infinite invade item and I think only one of them has been less than a 3v1. It's wild how much they hate invasions.

It's been really fun watching people complain more and more about how unfair it is that they can't just poo poo up someone's game since three made invaders prioritize multiplayer games.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

No Wave posted:

or 1 on 1 PVP is just not something most people enjoy?

One on one pvp is cool. I think it's just safe to say at this point that most people aren't jazzed when it's forced on them, and it's their progress and currency at stake while the other guy is doing it because lmao he gets to make other people upset and that's real cool and even if he loses, he's lost literally nothing. And it's not like invasions were ever especially cool. Dark Souls 1 was full of people who just hacked in having infinite humanities so you'd hit them once, they'd run behind some enemies, heal to full, and keep doing that poo poo. Invaders have always been the shittiest part of actually playing the Souls games and somehow they've convinced themselves they're integral to the experience.

Polo-Rican posted:

How MUCH harder if the game if you roll a naked wretch? I generally love rolling wretches because it makes every single bit of item discovery noteworthy: you're ecstatic when you first find any sort of pants, any sort of gloves, literally any weapon beyond a club, etc. But the game is pretty stingy when it comes to handing out souls... clearing out a full dungeon, including the boss, only lets me level up once or twice. I've cleared out most of the starting area and can probably head towards margit, but i'm looking at my pathetic little hp bar and thinking "hmm. i might be in trouble"

That's what I rolled, though I did upgrade from the club to a greatsword asap. I went for Margit right away and it was hard because they'd two-shot me but it wasn't too bad. I started putting on armor around Stormveil because a lot of the enemies there hit really hard and were doing most, if not all, of my tiny untouched health bar in one poke (and enemies in other locations like Liurnia and Caelid absolutely floored me). So, basically, it's only harder imo if you don't put points into HP. This game is hilariously generous with its flasks, as long as you aren't being one shot it's incredibly easy to bounce back.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Frankston posted:

I found the mushroom armor set and it legit makes me uncomfortable to look at it. It's making my skin crawl.

That sounds rad, where was it?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

What's up with drop rates in this game? I'm after killing every land octopus I see a dozen times over and I've killed this pumpkin head at least a hundred times and I haven't gotten any of their cool drops. I rarely ever get armor or weapons. In fact I'm still wearing literally the only armor I've gotten to drop besides commoner garb. It feels so barren.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

AngryBooch posted:

Curious what your Arcane stat is at.

I definitely noticed more drops when I leveled mine to 10.

10, I've noticed a massive uptick in drops after using the crow foot item so I guess I'll be making lots of those.

roomtone posted:

felt the same way at first, but it picks up.

you're not going to find much good equipment in the open world. it's all in the actual dungeons, and vendors.

I know some of the mooks drop their armor, I'm still wearing a mish-mash of the godrick and exile stuff. Because that's all that's dropped :shepface:

No Mods No Masters posted:

I was under the impression the pumpkin head helmet only drops from one specific pumpkin head. Most armor drops in this game are like that for good or for ill

It can drop from the one in castle morne that respawns. I got it after using a crow foot.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Sure is cool that this game can let invaders invade while you're fighting a non-fog door boss, then spawn them right behind you while you're fighting said boss, giving them free kills. Tell me more about how invasion mechanics are just meant to be a cool challenge and that invaders are supposed to be ~obstacles~ in the world and not tedious dickheads.

This is rad.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

eravulgaris posted:

I really want to find some more cool armor / cape / whatever. Anyone want to push me into the right direction? Level 22, I just arrived at Godrick, but still using my starting Uchigatana. I kinda want to replace it but it's still the best weapon?

For some aesthetic stuff: explore the area around Agheel Lake North a bit. To be more specific if you really want: There's an NPC who's been turned into a weird looking tree near that grace, save him and he has some cosmetic benefits.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

goferchan posted:

I feel like I'm missing something here -- I have the sewing needle which lets me alter a small number of armor pieces, and then eventually somewhere I found a gold sewing needle that lets me alter boss armor (which is very cool) -- however I have several pieces of equipment from random drops that say (Altered) in the name but I can't modify them in the menu. Is there a silver sewing needle or something like that I missed that lets me alter more stuff?

Where was the gold sewing needle? I don't think I have that one yet! But after you give Boc's stuff back to him he shows up in Liurnia where he'll offer to alter your gear for you.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Willfrey posted:

In the red rot swamp lake there is a site of grace with a boss nearby. The site of grace is in the middle of where all the 'exploding' bubbling on the lake is. Kill the boss for the needle

That's for a different thing! If you go east of Sellia there's a man in a hut to talk to You'll know you're at the right place when you see a lone ratdog. head just a little further past that gate and take a hard left at night for a surprise, unrelated.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

roomtone posted:

Any hints on what this is? Because I just cleared Caria Manor, did the boss and everything. I didn't even meet an NPC in there.

I keep missing so much stuff man.

I keep hitting a sort of choice paralysis because I've already hosed up one NPC quest chain, I'm afraid to progress too far or kill too many bosses lest I gently caress up more. Dark Souls!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

10/10 everyone I was co-oping this game with don't want to play anymore thanks to invasions constantly forcing us to reset our progression.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Phoix posted:

The penultimate secret boss is the most ludicrously overtuned Souls boss and it is incredible

Tell me more about secret bosses please

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

This seluvis guy is hosed up

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The “drag the sword” portion of this attack does good damage and can be comboed into the uppercut for two hits instead of one.

More than two, it will absolutely chew through some enemies. I don't know what, exactly, decides whether or not they take more than one hit from it, but some bigger enemies will take damage on pretty much every frame of contact and just get obliterated by it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

So I got to Three Sisters and no one is in the one unlocked tower and the hidden basement doesn't have anything for me to do. I assume the hidden puppet is for some quest.

Anyone know what gives?

It's part of Ranni's quest line. that secret basement and the NPC attached to it is creepy as hell, and not in the fun way.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I just lost a lot of runes because a friendly NPC in a safe space suddenly wasn't when I warped back in to talk to him. Welp.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Has anyone else had an issue with the game's process not ending after exiting it since the last maintenance?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

It's actually been an issue for me from release that when I exit the game, it can take anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute before the game actually registers as no longer running.

It's always taken a few seconds but now it just, straight up does not stop. I can listen to the title screen track all I want I guess.

Rookoo posted:

Early-ish game but I did the finger snap thing in the ruins and The wolf man appeared but I got ganked by the sleeping Bear before I could speak to him. Now there's no howling in the location. I'm guessing I missed my chance?

Try warping somewhere else like the round table and warping back or changing the time of day a few times; I've had to do that to get NPCs to spawn before. Failing that try going to the next location in his quest chain the forlorn hound evergaol and seeing if he's outside or inside that, IIRC it's where he goes after the forest conversation.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Guillermus posted:

Mind spoiling a map spot?

Anyone has a decent rune farming spot to level up a bunch?

Go to the third church of marika, run into the little pond behind it and hop into the teleporter. You'll wind up at a beast church place. Run outside, hop on your horse and sprint between the legs of a giant gargoyle; go all the way down until you find a bridge with a dragon and there's another grace you can rest at. There's a few little dudes to the left of that grace and a few up the path near a glowing tree.

Personally my favorite way to get runes is the same as souls in any other game: drop your sign down near a busy boss and just chill, gets you a bunch of rune arcs too. Depending on your level Margit or Godrick are probably good choices.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mailer posted:

Don't know if this is in the OP, but exhaust all dialog from everyone. There are so many quest chains I've missed just because I didn't mash the Talk option. D showed up for a couple of visits then permanently hosed off so that's an entire chain I'll never see until a replay happens.

I'd say this game feels worse than dark souls 2, but not as bad as dark souls 3, for the sheer amount of baffling "what the gently caress is going on" moments when it comes to NPCs and their quest chains. Things just keep happening. I've outright stopped chasing the big bosses for now because I'm afraid of breaking more quest chains. But god help me if I walk into the wrong fancy shack, I go back to the round table and suddenly everyone's either talking about leaving, or already left without saying anything while half the NPC quests just seem to stop dead for no reason without any resolution or actual end state. I look forward to doing a second playthrough with a new character in a few months time when things are a bit more understood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

How many evergaols are there in this game? So far I've gotten the two in Limgrave, one in the area south that I can never remember the name of, three in Liurna and one in Caelid

VulgarandStupid posted:

I think D has to die for the room to open up.

It opened for me when Rogier died after I spoke to Ranni but that also happened at the same time as me going up through the caves to the area above, idk what it's called because I don't have a map yet. Setting for there seems to have caused all sorts of poo poo to go down. A few NPCs left the roundtable, dung eater showed up, and things are weird.