Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Firstborn posted:

I am kind of bummed that it's also last gen. I get it... but it still stings a little.

You are bummed that the game that was up until yesterday only announced for last gen is also coming out on last gen?

If anything the biggest surprise is that it's actually getting a PS5/Series X upgrade at launch, given Fromsoft's history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fromsoft makes some of the best looking games out there and it's because their art is rad, not because their games are tech showpieces.

Wondering if the main elden ring dude is a set protagonist or the official stand in for a create a character. I am just going to assume the latter because the trailer shows phantoms that all look different and its a fantasy RPG.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Re: the open world stuff. Miyazaki described the structure of the game shortly after it was revealed and it sounds like it's basically wide open areas that connect more traditional Souls style levels. So I wouldn't go in expecting it to be Red Dead Redemption all of a sudden.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

K8.0 posted:

It's not about the aesthetics, from does a great job of doing a western aesthetic. It's that the visuals are objectively bad and totally out of date, and not in a stylized way that could be cool. It's not just in terms of poly count and texture res either, look at the big dudes pulling the coach in the trailer. Their heads are totally non-animated, all their hair and poo poo is very plainly just part of a static "head" model and even that isn't flexing relative to the body at all. That's probably the most egregious example, but even in the "better" areas the animation honestly looks like complete rear end for the most part, it's more like an early 360 era title than even a PS4 game. From doesn't seem capable of moving forward at all from where they were with Demons Souls other than adding in a few polygons and a bit higher res textures. There really isn't an excuse for this, while not everyone is always at the bleeding edge, there's no one else making $60 games that has adapted this little. Madden shows more visual improvement FFS.

This post stinks, but I will admit that on paper there are some things in all Fromsoft games that aren't very "state of the art". But it also doesn't matter. From isn't competing with other AAA games in the way you seem to be implying. Their story isn't that of a dev trying to create a top of the line AAA technical showpiece for Sony, or MS or whatever. They started out as an underdog making AA games barely anyone cared about, and were thrust into the spotlight for doing something that (I don't think I'm being hyperbolic here) sort of changed everything. They have never seemed to give a poo poo about certain things that are becoming industry standard like mocapped faces or photorealism or whatever. So their games might not line up with some of the things you'd expect from "AAA" but it doesn't matter at all, because they have always just prioritized what they wanted to and done their own thing, and thats what got them where they are today. Not keeping up with the joneses.

Also most of your bullet points are just flat out wrong because the animation is awesome and the game looks great.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

infraboy posted:

I started loving Fromsoft because they're like a company that makes really spicy food and people that love it can't get enough and they refuse the make it less spicy for the weak folks.

Hell yeah

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The Dark Souls remake looks like what you'd expect from a team that lacked the vision of the original developers. It's incredibly well made, but it also gets a lot of subtle stuff wrong and loses a bit of the otherworldly, ethereal beauty present in the original.

I'm incredibly hyped for Elden Ring, and even I recognized right away how it looked like a last-gen title... because it is. But it looks like a real loving beautiful one. This is basically a DS2 situation where they're releasing it in the transition period between generations. Seeing how far they're pushing the visuals despite being based on last-gen tech, it only makes me even more excited for the future of the studio. In the meantime, Elden Ring still looks amazing. FromSoft's world and enemy designers are without parallel.

I'm at odds with the fact that I mostly appreciate the sentiment of your post, and and that you didn't even get the name of the game you are being passionate about right lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

"it's just Dark Souls" is a weird burn because that's just saying it's better than every other game already.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drat he nailed it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again:

From are at their best when they’re creating tightly designed dungeon-like environments that aren’t quite linear but have limited routes for exploring them. Their absolute worst content is, without fail, the more open zones like the DS3 swamp or the DS1 forest.

So trying to do an open world thing seems like a pretty big mismatch for their strengths as developers and I’m not optimistic.

Also crafting is poo poo.

I don’t think you are wrong (if not somewhat hyperbolic) but everything shown looks really cool and I feel like they have put out enough good games that I can give them the benefit of the doubt that they didn’t make a 50 hour long swamp level

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BOTW haters are such an exhausting snooze. So eager to always tell everyone about their bad taste in video games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Souls games only have so much in common with Zelda, but the exact same part of me that enjoys Zelda enjoys Souls, so it's always felt like an extension of it in some way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

% chance that the guy made out of a pot will just be universally referred to as the kool aid man?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Seems like a really stupid rear end place to lay an egg, dragon.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So have they gotten rid of fall damage entirely? Or is it just in certain scenarios?

Not that it's a huuge deal, but I feel like the sense of vertigo I get from carefully navigating a cliff, knowing that one slip means death was always a kind of important part of Souls.

I get not having it in big open world areas but it's would be a bummer making my way around some ceiling beams in a castle and knowing if I fall nothing happens I think.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They got rid of the dumb bowl cut. I’m returning this

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Should I keep slamming my head against Margit or should I run off and do other stuff for a while?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I literally can’t progress this dungeon becasue some troll put a message on a lever.

Actually I’m kind of starting to hate the messages in general and wish I could just turn them off without turning off the other online stuff. They poo poo up the aesthetic and 99.9% of them are some no assed unfunny joke. Neat feature but I’m over it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know how it works but they managed to break something and the lever is totally non interactive. It’s an elevator I need to get to a boss I’ve already used it multiple times to my shame

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't understand why the goats start rolling sometimes but I love it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cuttlefush posted:

I wrote way too much on this. Feels like a boss fight guide.

Agreed. I'm just going to go enjoy the fun game now and not care when the frame rate stutters.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

is there any way to get the jellyfish summon later if I missed it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really early on in the game I ran into patches and defeated him, and I could have sworn he gave me the patches squat gesture but I don’t have it. What a bummer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Where the heck am I supposed to go in the academy? After the dog boss, I did that whole rooftop loop 3 times trying to figure out which direction to go and couldn't figure it out. Like, you kick down that ladder to shortcut to the first bonfire and theres a couple of small side areas on the way. No idea where to go for the critical path though. I did find a key I think but I don't remember any locked doors.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Word, thanks. Ill look for that tomorrow

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also I tried that dog boss like 3 times and thought it was loving impenetrable. It's move set is absolutely ridiculous. Then I remembered I had the summon spells I often forget to use and lol it's the easiest boss in the game so far if you can distract it for 2 seconds.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone know where I can farm smithing stone 3 ? I feel like I have no problem finding Ss 4 and 5, but 3 is so rare I can’t get past 8 on my weapon.

There must have been a tunnel I missed or something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Moongrum is straight bullshit

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

VanillaGorilla posted:

I like HZ Forbidden West mostly because it’s a fun narrative and I like the setting but the actual gameplay design of the quests is exceedingly rote so that dude should probably chill a bit.

I dunno a lot of those major quests are pretty fantastic. The side stuff is pretty standard.

Honestly that game was so good I almost didn’t put it down for Elden ring…but I mean cmon it’s Elden Ring of course it’s gonna win. Can’t wait to go back and finish horizon after this though

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

frogbs posted:

Holy poo poo, how are you guys leveling up so quickly? Just running through the saem swatchs of enemies in limgrave/Stormveil/Stormveil gate? I feel like I'm leveling super slowly.

As people have stated you can go all over the place and do stuff as you please. The accessible part of the map is probably 8 times bigger than you think it is, but 58 is ridiculously high for stormveil castle imo. I did it at 25 and felt properly leveled until the end boss who I came back to at 35.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah weapon level is the basis on which I've been tackling things. Margit seems about right at +4 and Godrick +7. I think I did renetta at +10 or something and they all felt like I was in the intended range.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ngl one thing I'm not huge on in this game is weapon progression. In their other games I felt like playing around freely with stuff felt like it came pretty early on, maybe only sweating which ones you'd get to +10. In ER I feel like my starting weapon (or alternately something else found early on) is a higher level than all of the other stuff I want to play around with. Maybe I just need to google where to find more ball bearings cause tbh I'm still using my starting weapon most of the time because it's +13 and I can't bring anything else past +9 atm and it's just a basic rear end broadsword

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is it just me or is bloody slash insane?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chard posted:

Has anyone figured out what these little pylons are for? No location spoilers below, but just in case:

These are just two I bothered to screenshot, they're all over the dang place, usually with a "but hole" message nearby. My theory is director's commentary points, unless they have another secret use?

You can use your ash summons in the vicinity of one. A little icon that looks like a grave will pop up on the left side of the screen when one is nearby

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

WaltherFeng posted:

I refuse to believe this double boss in Redmane castle is beatable. It's insane. I'm at 8+ weapon upgrade but it might as well be nothing because I'm dealing 2 hyper aggressive bosses.

Should I just explore Altus instead?

I don't know what any of these bosses or locations are and my weapon is +14 so probably. I don't even know what Atlus is lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The torch lights up 4x the space and is more fun imo. I thought the belt lantern was rad when I bought it and used it for 2 minutes and forgot about it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also more often than not R3 is my lantern

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

look for tunnels north of the castle (they look like little red buttholes on the map) and you should be able to get a bunch of 3-4-5 smithing stones.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I kind of hope they nerf these op weapon arts asap. I just stumbled on bloody slash in my inventory 2 hours before I quit playing for the night and spent the evening one shotting every enemy and killing bosses in 5 hits. At the same time I am too weak willed to not to keep exploiting it and mulching everything in my path. Just want to go back to normal times but a new addiction has presented itself.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone know what the sacred butterfly knife is? I got it off an NPC invader on the bridge of inequity. Absolutely cannot find it in my iventory and even goodie isn’t helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do I need to beat the draconic tree sentinel to get inside of the capital?