Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

JBP posted:

The boosts are nice but whatever has the highest sorcery rating is what you want. So basically meteor for 3/4s of the game then Carian Royal for great power (boost to moon magic also great imo) or Lusat's if you want to spend more FP for more power. I preferred carian royal but with the rework of FP cost and sorcery power Lusat's might be rad.

Is Carian Royal worth using as soon as I have the INT to use it? Or am I going to get to a point where the gravity magic stops being effective and I'm going to want to switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Is there any particular place I should look for Patches if he's not in the Murkwater Cave and not in Lurnia? I've beaten the main bosses through Caria Manor and am now doing Ranni's quest, about to check out this Festival in Caelid. I've explored all around the Atlus Plateau and Mt. Gelmir, but barely been in the Capital and not been in the big manor by the volcano. Is Patches still available to me somewhere as a merchant?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

unpurposed posted:

So does the meteorite staff ever get outscaled by anything? I’m lvl 101 and don’t know what to upgrade because all the staves I have are worse.

I've been wondering this as well being around the same position. I have the Lusat Glintstone Staff upgraded to +6 right now and it has higher sorcery scaling than the Meteorite Staff at this point, and it does more damage on a single cast of a Glintstone spell than the staff, but I feel like between the higher FP costs from Lusat plus the gravity spell boost for Meteorite (since I spend so much time just slanging rocks) it's not clear to me that Lusat is better yet. Maybe if I shifted away from Gravity spells Lusat would be better (or when I upgrade Lusat more, if I could find more drat Somber Smithing Stones).

So anyway, sorry, that's not an answer, just some random thoughts.

I also have this staff from the Academy that requires 60 INT, but haven't even tried that one yet. I think it boosts moon spells but I don't believe I have any of that magic yet.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

I think you’re talking about the Carian Regal (the one you got from the Academy end boss, right)? That outpaces Meteroite at about +7 or +8. It’s the only one I bothered to upgrade, I went straight from Meteorite to that since it’s arguably the best staff in the game and you can get it relatively early.

Yeah, Carian Regal -- that's the one. So is that worth levelling up even if I'm not going to take advantage of moon magic?

When I got it I didn't have anything close to 60 INT and then sort of forgot about it. Maybe I should work on that one now, since I guess at some point I'll probably use something other than gravity magic

Just wish it was easier to get the drat Somber Smithing Stones I need in what I'm guessing is mid-game

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

There’s only like two moon magic spells so I wouldn’t worry about that part of it. Carian Regal’s scaling is just good for everything in general.

So bottom line I should just be looking for whatever gives me the biggest scaling number, which will equate to more damage from all spells?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

the_steve posted:

Just had a thought.
Is it possible to do something like a Mystic Theurge build?

That is to say: Sorcery equipped in one hand and Incantation in the other? Or can you only have one spell "active" and ready to cast at a time?

Pretty sure you can only have one spell active at a time. I've rolled with a staff and seal (or whatever its called that lets you do dragon stuff) and I had to pick which magic spell was active -- couldn't fire off two at once.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Ranni's questline question:

I just beat Astel, Naturalborn of the Void and popped up on that plateau in Liurnia through the lift. I realized I haven't seen any of my NPC buddies (or non-friend work acquaintances, meaning Seluvis) since the Radahn fight. What even happened to Blaidd after the Radahn fight? I thought we were supposed to meet where the meteor fell and I never saw him. Last thing I did with Seluvis was lie to him about giving the potion to Nepheli. Do I need to check in on them before I finish what I assume is the end of the Ranni questline?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Harrow posted:

Vague answer: You might have been able to find out some stuff about Blaidd if you'd checked in with Iji, but you haven't messed anything up. Finish the questline with Ranni and then go back to Ranni's Rise after.

hazardousmouse posted:

iji imprisoned blaidd in the bloodhound gaol cause he thinks blaidd will succumb to his programming and betray the plot. you should check up on everyone but it might already have passed the point of no return

Thank you both. I'll go check those places. I've been enjoying this questline so much, I don't want to miss out on part of it by just rushing something at the end, if there's more storyline to uncover.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Harrow posted:

Yeah Meteorite is best for most of the game, Carian Regal once you have the Int to use it and can get it to +8 or higher.

Azur's is specifically for Comet Azur cheese. The extra FP cost doesn't matter if you're using the "don't spend FP for 10 seconds" flask, so the bonus damage is functionally free there.

If you're on like NG+2 and have 60+ Int and Faith the Death Prince staff is great, but it's pretty bad otherwise.

Do the extra bonuses from a staff apply to spells cast with a second staff if you have two equipped at once? like can I put Meteorite in my left hand, and then get the gravity spell bonus when I sling rocks with a Carian Regal in my right hand? Or equip whatever the one is for faster casting and make both staffs faster (although I guess with both having higher spell costs)?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Harrow posted:

That I don't know. It just gets really high sorcery scaling at high Int/Faith.

Well, just because it has better sorcery scaling than Meteorite Staff at +10 with 60+ Int. It's not a ton better, but it is better, so it's worth switching over for general use.

The moon spells are actually pretty good in PvE, though. Adula's Moonblade counts as a moon spell, for example.

I think so because I know people do stuff like that with incantation seals. But I have never tried it myself.

Interesting, thanks. Was weighing whether to invest in upgrade the Carian Regal or Lusat's, not having used any moon spells yet. Sounds like Carian is worth doing, and it's not clear to me the vastly increased FP costs of spells with Lusat are worth it (except in instances where I'm going to pop the no-FP flask, but those have been few and far between for me so far).

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Mailer posted:

The scaling is considerably better at 80+ Int, and nothing beats Carian until you're at way-past-endgame levels, so it's THE option for any reasonable run through the game. At 60 it beats Meteorite but it keeps going up when Meteorite dies off. Lusat's is technically better against anything slow and static enough to sit there and eat the entire long laser... but against anything like that you're already going to murder it with Carian at 80 Int anyway so meh. There's value (against those targets) with Lusat's staff + gear at 60 Int but that requires some weird stop-at-60 build and that's just creating a corner case for the sake of it.

Basically don't rely on the one long laser. Assume it will take multiple lasers, because it almost always will.

Thanks -- good advice. I've not yet had much luck with the laser, although I suppose I haven't really given it a fair try yet either. But I did summon a person to help me with the Draconic Tree Sentinel at Leyndell after many failures, and this dude ported in dressed like Lusat, crept up near the Sentinel and just burned him down with what looked like one long cast of the Comet. So it seemed cool, but maybe it's not for me. Dropping rocks and slinging glintstone definitely is for me, though.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If you trust this calculator spreadsheet (make a copy to be able to edit the numbers), at the minimum 18 int the Meteorite Staff loses to the Demi-Human Queen Staff (which has the highest base power and the lowest int scaling) at just +6 out of 25.

At 30 int, Demihuman staff needs +11 to beat it (and it is still better than all non-meteorite competition).
At 41-68 int, the Academy Glintstone Staff is best non-Lusat staff in the game, and it beats meteorite at +14.
Carian Regal Scepter takes +7 to beat it at the minimum 60 int.

So if I'm doing this right, it's telling me that at 80 INT and +10 upgrade , a Carian Regal Scepter is 373 Sorcery scaling, while a Lusat is 413. That's only about 10% more sorcery scaling, but Lusat adds 50% more FP cost. So that doesn't seem worth it unless there's something magical about going over 400 with Sorcery scaling (which I suspect there is not). And the Lusat effect is just the higher sorcery scaling, right? There's no extra hidden power boost other than the number being 413?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

everything you have said is accurate

Thanks.

Completely unrelated question about Pidia (and/or I suppose, Ranni's quest):

At the end of Ranni's quest, after I went back to her tower and sadly had to put down Blaidd, I also happily found that Seluvis was dead, and then figured I'd go check in on Pidia since I was there. As I approached his area I heard him crying out, and then saw this:

What happened? Who are those dudes and where did they come from, and assuming they killed him -- why? Are they Seluvis puppets that got free when Seluvis died? I haven't gone back to check that creepy underground puppet storage area, but I don't remember them being up in the Pidia room before, so not sure what's happening there. Or why.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Not really a magic guy myself but from what little I understand, that 40 scaling difference probably matters if you're fully committing to glass cannon stuff and adding other talismans/gear/buffs that stack sorcery damage multiplicatively. I don't know how much it matters but that seems to be the logic with stuff like that ime

Oof -- that's a good point, but worrying about how buffs stack multiplicatively or not was always the part of Diablo 3 I couldn't fully wrap my head around, and I suspect I'm not going to do it here. Too busy slanging rocks.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Harrow posted:

If you take a look at Seluvis's "corpse," the position he's in is the same as the inactive dolls in his basement or that used to be around Pidia. I think that Seluvis was himself a doll being controlled by Pidia, and Ranni was getting rid of the little shithead before she headed off on her mission.

There was likely a real Seluvis at one time, and he was probably also a piece of poo poo (going by what Sellen says about him), but the one we interacted with might well have been a puppet himself.

Oh ho! That's tremendous. I hadn't noticed that about Seluvis's -- I guess I assumed Blaidd got him while going beserk -- that I love that explanation for what was going on with the extremely creepy doll storyline. Very nice touch that they let you hear Pidia's demise happening as you're platforming down to his room.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Where does Rogier go if he's not in the Roundtable hold? I have his +8 sword, which I'm highly confident I remember him giving to me there, but now I don't see the guy.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

pissinthewind posted:

in the lake of rot i pressed a button that took me up onto some ruins to fight a gravity zombie and then i died how do i go back up there

Where is that in the lake of rot? I thought I'd seen everything there and I haven't seen that.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Are you not able to summon ashes in the Grand Cloister? I swear there's one of those monuments on the ground, but I can't get out a summon to help me with this drat ulcerated tree spirit.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Tried out Rock Sling with my Meteorite Staff, a Carian Regal Scepter+10, and then having the Meteorite staff in my off hand while casting the spell with the CRS. Tried this against the troll outside the third church of Marika, as I figured I could reliably get him dead center in the chest each time, although if anyone has a better spot for testing damage against a large enemy, I'd be interested to hear about it.

At 80 INT:

Meteorite Staff alone: 807 damage to the troll dead center in his chest
Carian Regal Scepter+10: 927 damage
Meteorite Staff in my left hand and casting with CRS in my right: 1203 damage

I guess I'll be offhanding the MS where I can going forward.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

I've been farming for Alecto, so I was like, oh I guess I'll need better Physiks, so I go to go get the extra poise break one. Oh I'm dying to the erd tree, I guess I'll just upgrade my mimic, oh I don't have the stuff, so I better go get some gravewort. There, now my mimic is +9, the Erd Tree Guardian thing goes down nice and easy, and then it hits me.

I used all the ghost gravewort that I was going to use on Black Knife on the mimic. So even when I finally kill Alecto, I'll not actually have the resources to upgrade them until much much later.

I don't recall exactly where I got them all, but if you've advanced Ranni's quest enough to have access to fighting Alecto, I'm like 95% sure you've been through areas that give you two, if not three, Great Ghost Gloveworts.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Really hate that bell bearings don't carry over to NG+. I even bought loads of each tier before jumping over but now that it's a finite resource until I get to the very end game my consumables brain has activated and I don't want to use them.

For anybody who wants to streamline it to test a bunch of stuff out, it's 12 of each tier and 130k runes to get a weapon to +24 and 1 of each tier and 90k for sombers +9. In my experience it's either insanely worth it to bring something to the final tier or super not worth it and the next rank stat preview will tell you which one that weapon is

I've heard about the bell bearings not carrying over to NG+, which is lame, but just to confirm, you can buy a bunch of upgrade materials before jumping to NG+ and those do carry over?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

skasion posted:

Yes, only key items are wiped

Nice. Not that I'm there yet, but already looking forward to rolling into NG+ loaded for bear.

Enjoying the discussion about spellblade builds, which is how I've been playing the game lately, and it's a hell of a lot of fun -- so many options for weapons and spells. But what do people like for armor with such a build? I haven't particularly encountered anything that seems all that great yet (being as far as finishing Ranni's quest, but not yet all of the Capital). I gather Rogier had something that might be good, but I lost track of him after Stormveil Castle and his giving me his rapier in the Roundtable Hold, so I think I'd need to hunt that down if it's really good. Any other good options for sword and sorcery types?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
So I just walked in the front of Volcano Manor for the first time, talked to Tanith, saw Rya and some other dude who seems let down to see me, and didn't see Patches anywhere. Is he supposed to set up shop where Rya is? Should I be looking for him somewhere else in the Manor?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Can I do missions for Volcano Manor without messing up other questlines? Or is it going to make me kill people who I need for other quests?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Dr. Clockwork posted:

They don't affect any other quests. Just make sure you complete the Manor missions prior to beating the final boss of the dungeon there.

Thanks. That's what was driving my question -- I want to get that dude, and know the questline dries up once I do.

Time to clean things up on Mt Gelmir before finishing up business in the Capital.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Is it possible to catch up with Iron Fist Alexander after the fight with Radahn? He showed up there, and I've since done a bunch of other stuff, but I didn't see him near the Artist Shack in Liurnia (where the wiki suggested he would be -- I just saw a hole in the ground suggesting he'd been there). Didn't see him by the Magma Wyrm on Gelmir either. Does he keep moving on as I advance through other areas of the game?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

He should stick by the Wyrm all game long. I did his quest after the final boss and he was still there. He's pretty tucked away though, you probably just missed him.

drat -- I looked at a video of his questline and he's definitely not in that spot behind the Magma Wyrm in my game.

Maybe I didn't talk to him enough at the Festival? The wiki suggests you need to exhaust his dialogue there, and I thought I did, but poo poo, maybe I didn't.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Harrow posted:

Did you talk to him at the Radahn grace after the festival? He'll still be there if you haven't. I did the same on my first playthrough and didn't finish his questline until postgame.

I didn't realize you could talk to anybody after the festival. I just went looking for the meteor after the stars started moving. I guess I better go back there

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I forgot that carian retaliation glitch was a thing because I couldn't get it to do much damage even though it apparently wasn't linked to INT. It's based off the shield weapon level right?

Yes -- my understanding is that it's based on shield level.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

DeathChicken posted:

That is the save point. Just have to figure out where the giant rocks bounce so you can go quicker (and step on the elevator button before you exit so it goes back down)

You can kill the guys summoning that boulder, to make the run up much easier.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

a kitten posted:

Was just going to say this. And while i got pretty good at dodging all the mages in the other (bridge) shortcut, after i explored a bit more and found the boulder control room that way was much better.

I only found it after I beat Renalla, but it still felt good clearing that space because those guys had it coming. Plus there's some gear up there.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

VagueRant posted:

What?! I'm pretty thorough so I'm super annoyed to find out about these little areas I've missed in EVERY area.

In the area directly under where the boulder drops, where you fight that red invader the first time, there are big double doors that when you try to open say "Can't be Opened from This Side.". If you walk around to the patio (which is part of the other run back to the boss), you can see how to get there.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
What makes Gostoc become a merchant? I've just gained access to the mountains above the capital and still it seems like all the guy wants to do is foot stomp a patch of ground where Godrick died.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

euphronius posted:

We are going to have to wait for GRRM’s novelization to know for sure :(

At least nobody ever has to wait that long for GRRM to release a book.

I dunno what it is about NPC quests but they continuously seem to confuse me about where people are or what moves them. I got my big jar bro sorted but now I can't seem to get Kenneth Haight to move on. The bozo is still on top of that arch where he first asked me to clear Ft. Haight. I did that ages ago, told him, got the dagger, and he still hasn't gone back to the Fort. Do I need to do something else to get him to leave that arch?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I believe it is linked in with Nepheli (and possibly Kenneth?) - you have to get into the Four Belfries and use the Blue Stone Key to take you back to the start of the game, work your way back up to the roof and find the Hawk Ashes up there, then give those to Nepheli. If you then go to Stormveil, she has become the new ruler of Stormveil, Kenneth is her advisor, and Gostoc is hanging out there as a merchant now.

It also means that Nepheli is available as a summon against Godfrey when you head back to the Erdtree.

Thanks. I've done all that except for the very last part, but at least in one regard seem to be hung up on Haight not leaving his original spot to go back to Ft. Haight. I suspect my issue is more with him than Nepheli, but I'll try advancing the Nepheli part further (although I think I gave her the last thing I can give to her).

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

stratdax posted:

If everything else is done and they're still not moving, you have to actually rest at Godrick The Grafted's site of grace. Even if you fast travelled to it, still gotta rest at it. Then they should be at the throne room.

Thanks. I think I just moved it forward and the key was that even though I had already rescued Haight on those ruins and cleared out his fort and gotten the reward I also had to kill the demi-humans underneath his starting point a second time, and that got his dialogue to advance. Weird

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

The Anime Liker posted:

The old crone who speaks for the two fingers: [Nick Fury voice] I'm putting together a team.

- Nerdo, the leader

- Edgelord, the spooky guy that predictably betrays the team

- Nec-Romancer, the hot goth gf

- Dandy Lad, because every superhero teamup needs a billionaire

- Sad Girl, the tarot card reader

- Blacksmith, the negative nancy with no object permanence who thinks anyone not in his field of vision must have died

- Two Old Ladies Melted Together, they run the commissary

- Wheelie Potter, the magician

- D, whatever his deal is, he's just on the team because he has cool armor

- a priest just so I can make fun of him and ask him to sing Wagon Wheel

- some guy with a destiny who really loves making chickens commit suicide

- and a guy who literally eats poo poo

:perfect:

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Harrow posted:

Yep. It's definitely still a really good weapon, but on the dedicated Int build I've been making, I left it at +6 and haven't touched it since I got Wing of Astel and the Dark Moon Greatsword. Now I just have both of those equipped and swap between them for different situations and it feels great. Wing of Astel annihilates bosses (for the same FP cost as Moonveil's heavy weapon art), the quick, mid-ranged R2s are extremely useful against fast-moving enemies, and the charged R2s do excellent posture damage. Meanwhile, the DMGS hits pretty hard and can bust through the poise of anything more lightly-armored than a Crucible Knight. Plus the R2 beams after buffing hit really hard and, again, do good posture damage at range.

Part of it might be that I was just getting a little bored of katanas at that point, to be fair. Dual-wielding Moonveil and a Cold Uchigatana does fantastic damage if you just get in there with L1s. But I was thinking before Moonveil was nerfed that it was overshadowing that other Int weapons are also awesome, and it looks like that's true.

Interesting. I've been thinking about changing it up from Moonveil and was considering both of those things to target with upgrades. I have the Death's Poker also -- and kind of want to use it after all the drat trouble of fighting that stupid death bird -- but the INT scaling doesn't seem worth it for my heavily INT-based guy.

Sounds like Wing of Astel is worth spending some time with.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

What's the strength req on DMGS? I'm nearing the end of Ranni's storyline and if I can force myself to deal with Lake of Rot I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.

The Lake of Rot really isn't that bad if you bring a Seal with you and cast Flames, Cleanse Me or whatever the rot-curing incantation is. Just sprint between platforms and cast as needed, and get the heck out of there. You can spend more time in the lake hunting down gear if you want, but there's no reason to dawdle within the Lake itself if you're just trying to get through Ranni's quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Video Nasty posted:

I made it through the Rold Route and didn't realize that I completely missed Alexander somewhere back near the lava wyrm then realize that I somehow ALSO missed him by the Artist's shack so I'm hoping he is still hanging out there for now. :ohdear:

I did this, except I had also missed talking to him after beating Radahn. He was all the way back there when I tracked him down, and had been for a very long time I guess, and talking to him in all those places progressed his quest just as I expected.