Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

blackguy32 posted:

I want to like this, but I really don't know anything about it in terms of gameplay. Everything has really been about the story which I know will be awful and cringey because historically usually both sides ARE awful. But I guess they really want to play up Giancarlo Esposito.

If it makes you feel better from the various spoilers I have seen. They actually don’t both sides it. President fring is portrayed as a hosed up reactionary who is basically the equivalent of if one of baristas kids. The main rebel leader is brutally honest that while the revolution may succeed, the first interim president will probably be dead within a couple months because of foreign coups and a probable civil war will happen because of counter insurgency. The rebels are portrayed as the group good guys and the ending while kinda sad is explicitly hopeful. It’s not far cry 4 or 5 in that way. Which is honestly nice and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rockstar Massacre posted:

'apolitical' is the wrong word, the problem is that it's cowardly. there's tons of anti-authortarian overtones in Far Cry 5 and Watch Dogs, and to a degree in The Division (when it isn't being super lazy and pro-authoritarian instead) but those games also bend over backwards to not include the actual real-world attitudes, politics and policies that enable the grim worldstate they're using as a backdrop, so you get wild poo poo like the hacktivists in WD: Legion cooperating with loving section 5, who in real life are one hundred percent in favor of and directly work to ensure the kind of corporate extraterritory that Watch Dogs spends it's screen time raging against.

none of which is a problem when you abstract hard enough, but Ubi puts a huge amount of effort into keeping it's settings relatable... and then a huge amount of effort not talking about the real life details they're mining for content.

Weirdly enough watch dogs legion is pretty openly political in good ways. One of the villains is a technocratic fascist and another is the uks not homeland security. Plus lots of other stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

And then they went and made a weird story about organ theft with that backdrop, which really doesn't seem relevant to the state of the UK surveillance state at all.

I mean that’s a grift both the fascists and the big crime syndicate are working on. Because they are basically using undocumented immigrants and refugees as either livestock or a conscription pool.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

Not really. I don't think the UK government is secretly working on stealing immigrants' organs.

I mean it’s a fictional cyberpunk hellworld still.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

reviews are mixed but lean more positive then not, the biggest issues seem to be so far that its more of the same even if its probably the best that that same has been. so its basically the AC syndicate of the series.

also waypoint just quite after five hours and then bitched about it.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7e9q9/far-cry-6-is-creatively-and-morally-bankrupt

its from some dude who never even wrote reviews on the site and i guess he got bored and wanted clicks which i gave him. i usually like waypoint alot because they are critical but interesting
but lol wtf.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 6, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Songbearer posted:

Is the story still disjointed horseshit like Far Cry 5's? I don't expect much from videogame stories, especially not from ubisoft, but I got burned by FC5 taking what could have been a cathartic experience and pissing it all up the wall with ACTUALLY THE VILLAIN IS RIGHT!!!@

Everything I have heard, they kinda of drop all the twisty “moron first twist” poo poo. President fring is played pretty straight and realistically monstrous(for a far cry game) and while the rebels are a coalition of outcasts and dissidents, it doesn’t go the golden path direction.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

Seriously, shooting some guns with Min? Who wouldn't prefer that ending to siding with the weird religious fanatics.

i sided with the maoist drug lord who is probably a child murder.

i do kind of like how the golden path is like some weird off shoot of a shithead monarchist movement that got mad because the merc king who they hired to because he shot their boy king in the head and took power for himself. like i kinda like 4 because alot of the power players are "realistic" assholes.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

No hanging with your pal Pagan Min, you have to instead choose between Kyrat being turned into an opium-based economy or a theocratic state with child brides.

you can murder them all, which is what i did.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

I liked Steep a lot so I'm kinda looking forward to Riders Republic lol

i wanted to like steep but too much was locked behind payed addons.

Fame Douglas posted:

Yep, I subscribed to the more expensive tier for a single month because I want to try out Stadia. Playing Far Cry 6 on PC, of course, because I'm not playing at 30 FPS on Stadia. But I think I'll check out Valhalla on the service, just to see how it is.

i liked valhalla. its not perfect but its a more refined origins but with a better plot(though way way longer to its own detriment)

Fame Douglas posted:

Far Cry isn't some overarching story where games have to fit together. hth

this. they are there own stories. some of them probably share characters and possibly a universe but none of it matters.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Is that just driving the boat out of map bounds north to go to the US?

yes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

I really liked Origins (and the soundtrack was amazing!), but I found that to be pretty long already. The absurd length is the main thing that kept me from Valhalla so far, especially with my completionist tendencies.

i love origins(enough that i bought some concept art as print for it) but its like the entire last third is kind weirdly paced.

Blind Rasputin posted:

The length of Valhalla really frustrated me and I never finished it past like the fifth region. I was very sad because otherwise it would’ve been a great game. I have a family member who hasn’t ever really played video games, but really likes Norse mythology stuff. She got super sucked into Valhalla and before she knew it was 100%’ing it. She was hunting down literally everything. She finally finished it, at the 149 hour mark. She was more angry than anything at the stupid reward for some collectible eden video clip puzzle and overall the very unrewarding main story ending. I felt bad for her. That’s so many hours.

yeah i like the concept of the story and the story over all and i genuinely like eivor. etc. its too long for its own good but ireland and france dlc are ok.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 8, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

got off the tutorial island. so far its solid and it reminds me of a mix of 4 and new dawn then anything. the biggest issues i have is mostly the ammo bullshit and how hats dont appear in cutscenes and how when you shoot fascists their guns just vanish.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

Honestly, just use armor piercing and go for headshots. A 45/70 with AP will headshot anything, even silenced. You don't really need to switch between ammo types unless you really feel like it I've found.

The really funny thing about their guns vanishing is that they can still get picked up by a prisoner that you free, and they turn into the AR-15-alike from Far Cry 5, haha.

yeah same. i am more annoyed about the weird little poo poo like guns dispearing and my stupid hat not showing up in a cutscene. i get like masks and poo poo but its like a hat hat.

like i dont even mind not being able to pick up guns per say(idk add some fluff about how president fring palmprint scanned them or some bullshit) anyway, i do like it over all so far.

so far the writing is ok/solid. i like claras little speech on the boat.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

OK this intro really isn't making sense. They're conscripting workers... except even when people co-operate they just shoot them anyway? What is this supposed to accomplish?

its because its an excuse to purge the poor and the "outcasts". fring is fascist rear end in a top hat, irl fascists have killed for less.

Flesnolk posted:

The moral of FC5 being "MAGA are right" is pretty hilariously bad

i wouldnt go that far but yeah pretty much. the issue is anyone with half a brain saw that "twist" coming because its the most stupidly obvious one but it just sucks. part of the reason is Joe seed isnt a likable monster villian, like say pagan min, he is just a twisted gently caress who believes in insane bullshit because of a hosed up past and killed his kid. new dawn does a somewhat better job with him but its way too loving late.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Phetz posted:

The bad guys from Far Cry 5 honestly aren't very MAGA besides being fascistic and vaguely christian. They're just kind of a bland, cult-flavored organization whose actions begin and end with Joseph Seed, who himself doesn't seem to have much of an ideology beyond his own sob story and a bunch of biblical rambling. There's very little to them, and the way they turn out in New Dawn is a lot more interesting.

yeah this. i wish they had gone weird about the cult. like make them kinda have weird belief poo poo from The Apocryphal Gospels. i get what they are trying to do and i like the direction they go but idk five was dry.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

6 is more of the same I think, no real ideology, just pro-democracy rebels versus pro-civilian-murder dictatorship.

sorta. the regime is uber nationalistic and fascistic and there are alot of various nods to various stupid insane right wing dictatorships in the past, including one of my favorite "endtime hitler" stories which you will know when you see, meanwhile the rebels are made up of different brushstroke progressive and lefty thought. the rebels plan is basicly, toss president fring and then go from there. its definitely less cynical then 4 and 5 and obviously way less then three. like dont go in expecting disco Elysium depth of political criticism (some critics seem to think that apparently) but its not "actually the rebels are just as bad" poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 9, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I was pretty weirded out that there was cockfighting in the game until it turned out to be like a tekken-esque fighting game

yeah. to me, its too weird too be offensive.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's all still just cartoonish caricatures though, both for the dictatorship and the rebels. I don't really mind that, except it's super jarring when Ubisoft is trying to tell such a serious story with these cartoonish elements as a backdrop.

They should either drop the cartoonish depictions of LatAm guerrillas and go full grit, or go full Just Cause instead and drop any pretenses about this being a serious story (which is what I think they should do)

yeah, i can agree with that. then again the real cuban revolutionaries were all giant bookish nerds and weirdos(i mean that in an endearing way) but yeah i get it.

AcidCat posted:

Working my way into the main island and man, there are a lot of systems and things to do in this game. Not a bad thing! So far all the characters I've interacted with seem a step up from previous Far Cry games, where characters were either totally forgettable or downright obnoxious. The game overall feels like a definite upgrade from FC5, having a lot of fun. I think my only complaint so far is fall damage seems really extreme. There's probably a hat or something somewhere that mitigates it.

yeah its weirdly more grounded then the other games. like you have the weirdos and poo poo but most of them are at least somewhat realistically hosed up and dani can have actual conversations with them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Biology facts: fascists can't see the colour blue.

they also arnt that smart and are bad with pattern recognition.

shortspecialbus posted:

My biggest complaint is that it takes 3-4 rpg rounds to bring down the bigger rocket copters. Obnoxious.

my issue is weird poo poo like the flamethrower does dick damage wise to like regular shlubs. its loving weird.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I was mediocre on FC 4, 5 and New Dawn, but finished them all because I dunno there’s always something kind of cathartic about this type of game. The gun play also always delivers. So far, I think FC6 is significantly better than the previous games. I’m playing on PS5, just got to the main world, and I’m free flowing from place to place in between missions and feeling pretty awesome in big gun fights. The mobility and shooting is quite good and I feel I can rush around from cover to cover, zig zag through buildings, flank, etc and really close in kill the enemies. It’s definitely a break away from the priors, where silenced bow/sniper action before going hot was pretty much mandatory to deal with the onslaught of ads. Something about the weapons being built out of literal guerrilla junk and the heavier focus on close-mid distance fighting makes this a lot more fun.

The world, characters, female Dani, all I really dig. I like it so much more than FC5’s setting and characters. Female Dani hums to herself while riding horseback, or sings along in the car, so many little things that flesh her out. The voice lines for some of the plot might feel basic but poo poo, they have to say a lot of this stuff as basic as possible to make sure people understand it. That speech from Carla though, about wanting to be feared? Holy poo poo that was a strong moment.

The graphics aren’t amazing, they are very good and the world is extremely rich in detail and variety, but in comparison to BF2042 graphics, or some of the other native PS5 engines.. there is a sharpness and “newness” that’s a bit missed. This often feels like a heavily pumped up TLOU engine instead of a Unreal 5 engine.

If you like Far Cry even a bit, yeah this is more of it, but in a good way. A very fun and good way with tons of exploration (pays off richly, I have a few unique weapons already that really own hard), and definitely the most complex crafting/upgrade system to date for the series.

So which of the 4 starting backpacks or resolver weapons do you all think is best to purchase first? The defender and EMP ones seem good, so does the crossbow. I have heard some say the rocket launcher is basically mandatory because there’s so many enemy helicopters, which was a let down for them, you all feel that’s the case?

this. i think the game is probably the best since 4 and probably the best one outside blood dragon. one of the things i like are how dynamic battles happen all the time in far cry games. its cool.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

spider bethlehem posted:

Apparently the deal with 5 + all the Seed stuff is that the creative director for the game was actually born into the Children of God cult (same one as Rose McGowan) and actually wanted to make the cult the good guys. All the stuff about trump and white supremacy and political satire was opportunistically leveraging the conversation to get eyes on the game - you literally play a cop, after all. And in the end, he basically got what he wanted, Joseph is entirely correct about the outside world and the coming apocalypse. New Dawn even heavily implies that the New Eden faction are the ones who are actually doing the right thing instead of just recapitulating the mistakes of the past.

Also I'm pretty sure I heard an enemy bark calling Dani a gusano.

so did that ever come out or what? my view of the ending of new dawn is the cult remenant and new hopers bury the hatchet espically after kylo renn son of joe gets his head knocked in and joe either eats a bat/burns to death or slinks away, after realizing that he had always been full of poo poo and he basicaly just rolled a 20 on luck that one time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rabbit Hill posted:

IIRC, you are correct....but I don't think that Joseph came to the conclusion that he had been full of poo poo the whole time? He really had heard (what he thought was) God's voice warning him of the end of the world. Or...poo poo, did I tune out during a cutscene or something? I have ADHD, so even though I actually really liked Joseph in FC5 and ND, maybe I missed this. And my experience of the end of ND was that he didn't so much slink away as the game just never speaking of him again after you refuse to kill him. (I refused to kill him because I didn't like how he basically decided on the spot that he needed to die and decided it was somehow *my* responsibility to kill him? Dude, either do it yourself or live; that's not my job.)

Anyway, I really liked the character, mostly because "Scary Preachers Who May or May Not Be Evil" is one of my favorite character types (hence my avatar). That poo poo is like catnip to me. It would be super awesome if the story surrounding them was really excellent and consistently written and they had a cohesive ideology, but for some reason, IME it's rare to find that level of quality when dealing with characters who aren't explicitly written to be priests/ministers/adherents of a specific real-life Christian denomination.

This is really interesting.

ok so basicaly he asks you to kill him, if you don't its implied he either burns to death with the tree or slinks away weeping. i think he kinda relizes the voices were always in his head or some poo poo and that he kinda caused all this misery for loving nothing and he is too much of a coward to face it. i went inglorious basterds on his rear end and knocked his head in with a base ball back. i dont hate joe, he is just not well thought out and his families writing is super inconsistent.

spider bethlehem posted:

as far as I understand it, at some point the higher ups said hey you absolutely cannot make this a game about how you should join a doomsday prepper cult and move to montana so they kind of tried to walk it back. But based on the callbacks in 6, the nuclear exchange didn't happen, so you must have taken one of the "bad endings".

There's a trailer in the game for DLC involving Vaas, Pagan Min, and yet more piping hot Seed content (called, respectively, Insanity, Control, and Collapse). And apparently a remaster of Blood Dragon is also in the works and you get it with the season pass?

I have a weird affection for this franchise so I can already tell I'm going to get them if they're not outright terrible.

basically they are all mini games where you play as them in mini rogue likes probably in purgatory or hell or whatever. blood dragon will be the pc edition probably.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Well, all I can say is that ol´Joseph needed a little extra ventilation. I guess I could have left him with his failure but after that poo poo he put me through in Far Cry 5? Writers pet got himself a bullet

yeah. same

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Holy poo poo Philly is annoying. I hate try-hard wacky character's more than the more common try-hard edgelord ones.

Other than that, game owns. Best Far Cry since 3 (though I'm judging that by how 3 was at the time - I'm guessing it hasn't aged well)

3 hasnt aged well at all on so many levels. vass is just a well acted weird rear end in a top hat with a possibly hosed up backstory if you read between the lines and the other villians are Dickhead Afrikaner crime lord or Gay rapist man. plus lots of weird problatic poo poo plus the lovely endings and the writer being a weird hack. plus more importantly. the gameplay and mechanics don't hold up.

i think 4 holds up the best because the villian is actually likable but scary, the gameplay loop is fun. its somewhat cynical but most of the characters are solid.

Play posted:

I really like this game. Best Far Cry game in a long time

I very, very rarely buy full price AAA games. For some reason, I guess I had a bad day at work and was kinda drunk or something and I just decided I wanted to buy this one. Great decision luckily because it owns. It's a bit like Far Cry 3 or 4 except way better imo. More features, better gameplay, more fun in general.

I was pretty ready to poo poo on it since I'm not a big ubisoft fan but gently caress, they did a good job

yeah, i am actually enjoying it right now. i am doing random side missions with the murder rooster and murdering dozens of fascists'. i do with helicopters were easier to shoot down but whatever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

4 seems to handle the "everybody is a shithead and you're making things worse" motif better than most games.

yeah. its works mostly. i think 5 tries the same thing but lol.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

So just beat the game. I will say its easily the best game in the series since 3 overall. Better cast, better "feel", setting, all that, plus all the gameplay tweaks along the way.

Only complaint is Castillo himself, I think he's the weakest villain in the franchise.

spoilers on the ending I guess

So after all this stuff with him and Diego, I was expecting a hook, like, anything. Like a "see it from my perspective" or something to change how he looks other than an insane slaver tyrant but no, he's really nothing more than what he is presented as. Yeah he's sick and all but that doesn't really add any credence to his plans or his actions.

All the build up on Diego as well, I thought maybe you'd hand the reigns to him or smuggle him away, but no Castillo just shoots him dead before he cuts his own throat and the whole ending just became totally toothless. All the build up on the character for literally nothing. Compound that with the fact they wanted an ending that didn't interfere with running around the open world after the fact, its effectively established that yeah you killed him, but nothing is really gonna change, oh well.

Other than that, I overall very much had a fun and positive experience with the game.

yeah and no. i like that Castillo is just a hosed up fascist rear end in a top hat who is super broken person and they play that straight. i feel like if they tried to make him secretly likable or have an actual point, it would just backfire.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I think they made the right choice by turning Dani into an actual character for FC6. While these games have been historically defined by their villains, it gets tiresome to be hauling around a mute blanket for the other 90% of the campaign while everyone else awkwardly monologues at you. It's not exactly high art but I actually care about Dani and want her to succeed, which is more than I can say about Jason from FC3 or... whoever the other protagonists were I forget lol. I think the switch to 3rd person in the guerreeeeeeeya camps and for cinematics was also a positive change.

Yeah Dani is fun. Poor orphan kid who dropped out of probable spec ops training before their call to action and has some actual good motivations and moments. They are world weary but not cynical and also not dumb as a rock for once.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

Both had the exact same lines, they were exactly equally witty and funny. But Alexios has the better voice actor, in Odyssey the male choice is the preferred one. Though neither performance is outstanding, which isn't surprising considering the absurd length of the game.

i like kassandra but i prefer her as deimos because she plays the hosed up bad guy/foil better then alexios.alexios does big kinda naive well meaning but also mercenary demi god, loving and killing throughout the land.

spider bethlehem posted:

It's extremely funny that considering how much effort they put into making Viviro a wonder cancer cure that is allowing this tiny island nation to force the rest of the world to a moral reckoning with a brutal dictator but actually doesn't work on the special cool magic cancer Giancarlo Esposito has. you couldn't think of one other disease people can have? one other definitive metaphor for interior corruption mirroring exterior malevolence? Nothing? Not one thing? Also I wonder if they were going to do a viviro=marijuana parallel like they did with opium and Bliss and... well, marijuana in previous games and decided it's too risky.

This game ran out of steam for me very badly somewhere after Madrugada, which i did first.. A lot of the later game revelations felt extremely coercive, trying very hard to wring pathos and twists out of characters and scenarios that are pretty wildly contrived in the first place. It also has that same FC5 mealy mouthed inability to stake a political stance more complicated than 'it's bad to melt people in an industrial foundry, and also no one here cares about this enough to remark on it except for the bad people who think it's super fun to display evidence of war crimes in their garden parties.'

It's a shame. I was having a great time with it for awhile and Dani really carries this game on their shoulders. Tone oscillates wildly between lisa frank murder party in the jungle and 'the human cost of this regime is incalculable'. It's a game that's made with tremendous amounts of work, vision, and ambition on the technical side but narratively is terminally compromised.

Also, the cities being essentially empty was a bummer. I know the in universe excuse is lockdown but i would have loved to see crowds and riots and a feel for the people. But maybe the engine just cannot handle that.

At least they took out the fun wacky cia guy (except for one note that mentions him I think).

I did love Ocuso at least. I guess I'll see what comes of the DLCs but after FC5 I'm not necessarily optimistic.

my assumption was that viviro doesnt work as well as fring and co claim it does. its works well enough on some cancer and poo poo that but it clearly doesnt work as well as it should.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

I love Juan so much. Does anyone have discord for finding people or w/e? I want to grind out lola's shop, but in game matchmaking is dead.

yeah. i have liked the various characters more then i thought i would. not all of them are super deep or anything but most of them are fun or likeable.

stupid question. ok so who was the Castro of Yara. so you have castillio senior who is US puppet man and basically Batista, but then he gets executed and Anton basically becomes a prisoner at collective farm or some poo poo, so who takes over during that time. is it the legends of 67? i know the revolutionary government kind of implodes and anton gets elected and goes full MAGA

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mandrel posted:

spinosa I think. the idea from what I can gather is what if Castro ended up being incompetent and the US successfully deposed him and reinstated the old regime

so basically there wasn't a Castro. but they're pretty vague on details to avoid having to take any sort of position

sorta. https://farcry.fandom.com/wiki/Santos_Espinosa

he was never deposed/killed, there was a CIA attempt but he is basically Castro but incompetent. he dies, election is held and Fring takes over.

fast cars loose anus posted:

I think it's very funny that after their strenuous efforts to avoid committing to anything political in 5 they just went ahead and threw in a tremendously obvious Trump in this one

i am ok with it. both watch dogs legion and this are weirdly left leaning in goodish ways, which is a nice comparison to whatever the gently caress 5 was and the cynicism of 4 and 3 and 2. like its not and never would be disco elysium or such, but for a AAA shooter, its pretty ok.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there any particular reason to think the CIA isn't going to come back and go after whatever goverment replaces neo-Castillo?

i mean. main revolutionary talks about that. how yeah, if they win and kill him, it will still be a protracted war afterwords with proble foreign backed coups and counter revolutions and how the first president will be dead with in like 5 months. i mean the ending is basicaly you walking away to let the various rebels you helped figure out goverment because you don't want the power and don't want to become a monster because they basically beg you to be interim president. its not a cynicle ending of "they will all kill each other" its just more of a "i have seen enough death and i don't trust myself, you all talk amonst yourselfs and i'll help but i dont want the big chair".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Is there ever any explanation of what is an Outcast and what makes a True Yaran? Fascist ideologies need an internal group to project all the nations problems on and scapgoat, and i needs to be specific enough that a board section of the population can know it and know they're not part of it. It can't just be the poor, or orphans or whatever, because again, you need to have poor people that you can trick to think they have a chance when all those nasty unwanted people are gone. Also to feed into your military machine, because what are you going to do, send the rich peoples kids to die?

Also i'm kind of sad that i beelined right to the guns because it means I just have the best ones and so i have no reason to not use the best of them. Oh well, I still can't find the drat Mg42 or the regular multiple grenade launcher.

not really. alot of the true yaran/fake yaran poo poo is just antons weird hosed up brain because his daddy got his brain blown out and because he is weird MAGA type psycho.

Sedisp posted:

Problem with this kinda wishy-washy messaging is your fans are very stupid.

From that linked wiki

That damned evil dictator Fidel overthrowing poor Batista

i mean its a lovely fan wiki and most people now a days outside weird fucks like us and the exile rear end in a top hat community and political boomers, know who EITHER of them are. also he did overthrow him in a revolution. though the revolution was actually justified.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He is very explicitly not a reference to Castro, lmao. In Yara's backstory, there was a prior revolution in the '50s/'60s that resulted in an unnamed form of government (but you can guess they were the communists) that itself eventually got overthrown. Democracy or something happened at some point I guess, and everyone voted in Espinosa, who is the bad president who does bad things. He's called a dictator, but he was literally voted in (Dani mentions voting for him?) and it's not clear how long he's been in power for.

FC6 is what happens when you try to tell a political story while attempting to avoid politics and ideology at all costs. The story is an awful mess best left ignored.

yeah. anton is very very very much a Batista/right wing demagogue type. my view of Santos is he becomes president and because he is basicaly the last dude standing with any real power and because he kills fring senior. he basicaly runs unopposed and basicaly becomes a Bobby Baratheon figure. the "usurper" who won but kinda just rots in his victory and is miserable and incompetent. eventually he dies and elections happen again and fring wins.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

In a hypothetical improbable situation where there's only a singular island on the world manufacturing anti-cancer medication, you can be drat sure what governments will be tripping over themselves to have their secret triple letter agencies try to take control and quell revolutions as much as possible. You'd have Blackwater and co running the drat island.

oh i am sure. they basically say that in the game. end game is basicaly you fighting the counter revolution.

Sedisp posted:

Castro wasn't a dictator overthrowing a president he was a revolutionary overthrowing a dictator that's what I meant by fans are kind of stupid.

oh i know. i think its more just bad wording in general though. because moron fan wiki.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I guess I shouldn't of expected it to be a deep understanding of Fascist Ideologies and how they create scapegoats out of the more vulnerable groups in a society. But as I said earlier in the thread, some of the stuff that Castillo says in the recorded speeches sound like they would be something Tucker Carlson would say.

i mean facist ideologies are empty shallow sociopathic ideologies with no real concrete grounding.

i will always be amused how Ubisoft has become some weird whipping boy for weird little poo poo like this. like they have actual real issues like their management being weird pervert ghouls(though a bunch of those got tossed i believe) but like, go after and get upset about real issues, not "game did a dumb ad thing". or people getting mad that their games arnt disco Elysium levels of political discourse or how their HR said that dumb "we arnt political" line and then have kinda walked back on it since.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 27, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

biggest annoyence is still the weapons damage stuff. its not Guardians of the galaxy annoying but poo poo like tank shells/coaxis gun/turrets should make yaran chuds go pop, instead of mildly annoyed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Apraxin posted:

Ok, am I going crazy here: in one of the cut scenes in the final couple of missions, Castillo is talking to a military guy with a big mustache who has a unique character model and is named in the subs as something like 'General Mariano' who says "please mr president, you have to evacuate the capital, the guerillas are moving in" but Castillo brushes him off. I completed the game, and I don't recall that guy appearing in any scene before or after that one. Did I miss something about this guy?

i also love that moment because based of a real hitler moment. it was maybe like 5 months before then end and he was sitting Speer looking at models for new city designs and how the city roofs had to have a gold tint in the sun. as artillery was falling/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

Yes, absolutely no one knows about Hitler wanting to build Germania. Crazy how the Far Cry writers manage to elevate unknown moments of history to prominence through their brilliant writing.

i just found it funny. why do you have to be like that.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 9, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Slimy Hog posted:

It's not something I'm familiar with :shrug:

yeah insane germania poo poo is always fun. the new wolfensteins do a pretty good job at painting the insane dystopian awfulness of it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

It's unfortunately a pretty big step back from Odyssey in almost every way. I'm assuming Covid must have hampered production hard. It feels like something that would have come before Origins, with much of the improvements from the last two games missing.
Also no Kassandra.

i am mixed. i liked Valhalla more then odyssey story wise though eivor is step down from Kassandra or alyxios but she isn't bad by any means. I think the combat is a nice mix of origins and odyssey mostly works and the story while not the best flows better then odyssey. that being said, none of the AC games have amazing pacing, though origins has better of the newest ones.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I just got to Insurgency Mode last night, so I guess I'm close to done with the game at this point. I'd say it was fine. Not great, but fine. Even with the edgelordy idiocy in the storyline of FC5 I think I enjoyed that game more, and I liked New Dawn aside from the racism. I think my fondest memories are of FC4, but I did like FC3. I think I actually liked Primal a little more than FC6, but those two are in the same general level of fine for me, I think.

One thing I noticed about FC6 that I don't recall being as much of a thing in earlier games was that the movement feels way less fluid than it should. Maybe coming from Cyberpunk 2077 influences how I feel about it, but it seems like ledge-climbing and general responsiveness are worse in FC6 than in earlier games. I think I've died more from my parachute not working than any other cause, and the way ledges work in FC6 just feels wrong and finicky - like it's way too easy to get too close to a ledge and not trigger the climbing response, or not be close enough and have it not trigger, or be slightly off center and have it not trigger. Weirdly enough, the ladder mechanics worked great, which probably made the ledge mechanics feel that much worse.

i think i liked 5 the most shooting/mechanically but 2/4 being the best story but 5 is solid over all, the issue i have is, it suffers from the weird RPG poo poo, though not as bad as other ubisoft games.

twistedmentat posted:

No, FC6 never goes "actually even though he's murdered a bunch of people, and enslaved a whole ton of others, Moff Gideon did improve Yara's economy". The Communist rebels of the first revolution are always shown as heroic and in the right, The Fascists are always in the wrong, and it never gets trying killing them.

But Yea, I really liked running around Yara doing stuff. Its a really fun map with a lot of neat stuff to explore and there's some decent environmental storytelling here and there. The weapons feel great and there is a good variety of them. Its too bad a few that should be earlier unlocks are not available until the very late game. Like the Sig Saur 228 is not available until literally the second last mission.

yeah, and it was a nice surprise for once. they clearly show that the first rebels while good definetly kinda hosed up because the dude who got in was kinda of a gently caress up and the rest kinda booked it back into the jungle to find themselves.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Because I'm an idiot I bought the new Lost Between Worlds DLC, and have been playing through it.

It is fine. Not great, not terrible, just fine. I'm probably like 60-70% of the way through it, and based on playtime I do think $20 is going to be overpriced.

it just looked too loving ugly and dumb and so i didnt bite. i am sick of ubisoft trying to do stupid rogue like shooter poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zwille posted:

Couldn’t get over the forced story missions in 5, they really should’ve patched a toggle in for that. I just wanna get lost in the countryside causing havoc.

this. i genuinly liked alot of that game outside some of the writing and the ending but that bullshit just sucks you right out of it.

Professor Shark posted:

I really liked 4 and New Dawn’s outpost replay

Still working on 6’s narrative campaign, it might have one?

it does sorta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Well I just finished the game. It took me a while (over a year and a half, I think?) because I wanted to get 100% on everything, like I did with all the other FC’s. I was pretty annoyed by the ending and felt that they could have gone in a better direction, but overall I really enjoyed Yara.

Here’s hoping 7 (or an in between game?) will be coming soon.

I kinda liked the ending sorta because its sorta more hopeful. it would have been very very easy for them to just be overly cynicle about the revolution and their are defiently moments there but i liked it wasnt 4 about it.