Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Rules question:
Archaon is (among other things), Demon, Khorne, Mortal, and Slaves to Darkness.

Chaos Lord's command ability reads:

quote:

You can use this command ability at the start of the combat phase. If you do so, pick 1 friendly MORTAL SLAVES TO DARKNESS unit wholly within 12" of a friendly model with this command ability. After that unit has fought in that phase for the first time, when it is your turn to pick a unit to fight with later in the same phase, that unit can be selected to fight for a second time if it is within 3" of any enemy units. The same unit cannot benefit from this command ability more than once per turn.

Khorne Reapers of Vengenace faction command ability reads:

quote:

Leave None Alive: With a chorus of bestial howls, the Reapers of Vengeance tear their foes apart.
You can use this command ability at the start of the combat phase. If you do so, pick 1 friendly REAPERS OF VENGEANCE DAEMON unit wholly within 8" of a friendly DAEMON model with this command ability. After that unit has fought in the combat phase for the first time, if it is within 3" of an enemy unit it can immediately make a pile-in move and then attack with all of the melee weapons it is armed with for a second time.

Can I use the Reaper's command ability and the Chaos Lord's command ability to make Archaon fight three times - First with his normal activation, then immediately with the Reapers ability, and then a third time when I activate him a second time using the Lord's ability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'm referring to 2.0, we have a final 2.0 tournament this weekend.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Was this the guy everyone cited as the only relatable character in early AoS fiction?

edit: saw some GHB leaks and RIP using marked chaos warriors as battleline in my Tzeentch and Slaanesh armies :smith:

If you are just looking for cheap asses to sit in Battleline seats, you can now take 10 Marauders for 90.

E: Oh gently caress allied Battleline no longer count, that is dumb as gently caress, rip my 80% Slaves Khorne army I guess

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 18, 2021

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Actually are we sure marked Slaves units don't count as being in-faction amymore? They have the appropriate keyword.

Because If they don't then nobody except Slaves can take Archaon anymore.

This and the battleline thing would invalidate a huge number of Chaos armies which doesnt feel like something they'd do.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Hey GW, if you want me to not take Marauders and Warriors to fill my battleline quota in Slaneesh and Khorne maybe you should make their Battleline not suck poo poo instead of doing this "coalition" nonsense :colbert:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I am pretty concerned about Unleash Hell to be honest. Shooting was already pretty oppressive at times.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Talas posted:

If someone charges 30 Lumineth Sentinels, they deserve it.

You don't need to charge them. Just a unit near them.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Haha, I don’t know why people listen heywoah on those things. He has continually been wrong in his predictions of anything from how the meta will change after a new army book to how specific ability/unit interactions will have a massive impact. Way more than he is right. Also, in that video he talks about how GW has learned from fantasy, and is increasing the model points cost, to reduce the number of models, to avoid pricing people out of the hobby, and cause the veterans to tell new people to get their models from 3D printing and china. It’s about the dumbest analysis of a GW points increase I’ve ever heard. Like, have you seen the success of 40k? Because you clearly have no idea about what the relative costs of a fantasy was, or why it was played less and less. Anyway, his analysis of current meta okay, and kinda funny, sometimes.

I thought it was a very nice and entertaining breakdown of what has changed, and he has a very pleasant voice.

Obviously his opinions aren't gospel, he is just some guy. Doesn't make the video worthless if a couple of them don't scan.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

People are just really used to thinking about Warhammer points in that scale.

5 point increments are dumb as hell though. Just make it 10 like it de facto was before.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Der Waffle Mous posted:

StD characters can no longer be generals in god-dedicated armies so the mortal-specific command traits kinda do nothing now I guess?

:sigh:

The up-loving of mixing STD into god armies, via not counting as battleline anymore, and now this, is the only thing I'm upset about in this edition. It was extremely fun to have an army that was almost entirely STD, but be able to switch faction abilities on a whim, and maybe add in a couple of faction-specific models. I've played a couple of games as Nurgle, I went to a tournament as Khorne. The versatility was just neat.

Why did they have to rein that in? What problem was being solved?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Coalition units can now be used as battleline unless a battlepack specifically disallows it, so they walked that one back fast.

Oh word? Is that in the FAQ somewhere?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Not a big fan of fundamental army selection changes like this in battlepacks.

Besides, almost all games are played using the latest GHB matched rules, at least around here. Wether it is banned there or in the core rules is immaterial.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

If I get hit by rend -1, but I have +2 to my save, do I...

a) Get an unmodified save roll because saves cannot be modified by +1, and this is enforced before the rend modifier.

b) Get a +1 to my save because the save modifiers are totaled up simultaneously and do not exceed +1.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Besides AOS not being quite the same size as 40k, a big AOS starter was never going to sell as well as Indomitus for the simple reason that Stormcast do not have the same pull as space marines. Hell, like half the factions in 40k are space marines and could use the new Indomitus marines. The market was absolutely flooded with the Necron half of Indomitus after it's release. Probably still is.

Stormcast are one faction out of 20 or so and their popularity isn't very far above average. Space Marines are like half of 40k.

As for Kruleboyz, people seem to either absolutely adore them or hate them, which tells me they probably did something right.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Painted up some more rusty Stormcast:

Yndrasta

Praetors

Leena Stormspire and Larissa Shadowstalker

Fuuuuuuck these are good

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Marmaduke! posted:

The new undead were what piqued my interest to get back into the fantasy hobby, if Cursed City hadn't been such a debacle I'd have probably got that and used the figs as the base of a new vamp army. But I'm also enjoying the Orruks, it's amazing putting together the Dominion set, the figures are so well designed and go together so easily. I did buy the Blood Bowl box and those figures were so much worse in comparison, I'm glad GW got it right this time. The Hobgrots are a bit weird though, I've put together the 20 models and there's till about 10 body halfs in the kit that there's nothing to do with. I'm sure that's on purpose but such a weird way of doing it!

You can get the undead part of Cursed City separately now, although they are pretty pricy: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-WW/Soulblight-Gravelords-Radukars-Court-2021

Two Headed Calf posted:

Wheres the best place to talk about list building for AoS?

Here seems like a pretty good place!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Any hero monster at base 3+ is pretty oppressive in AOS 3. Almost all factions can easily stack at least a couple of + saves to make them 2+ rendproof. What wounds that do get through are regenerated using heroic regen.

Archaon is by far the worst offender.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

PotatoManJack posted:

Are Khorne a viable team at the moment? Seems like they did reasonably well in the 3.0 changes. I've got a few blood warriors and a blood secrator who I bought mainly for the fun of painting, but I'm now considering a larger picture for them so that I can get them into an army potentially in the future.

Khorne are definitely viable, if a little rough around the edges.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

On one hand dragon riding knights are the most generic fantasy poo poo imaginable and I like it when AOS is a bit more out there.

On the other hand, dude, dragon riding knights, that is loving sick bro. :dong:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I've used this AOS 3 reference sheet in my games so far and it has been hugely helpful: http://weirdnobz.com/2021/06/21/update-plus-an-age-of-sigmar-reference-sheet/

Page 2 has all the new stuff from AOS 3 - The heroic actions, new generic spells, universal command abilities, and monstrous rampages - Broken down by phase. You can almost print that one out without reading the AOS3 rules and you are good to go.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

DrDraxium posted:

I did have a printout of my AoS reminders for my list, but under the pressure of a tournament setting, I didn't want to continually leaf through it when we had two hours per game (which both veteran and newbies agreed is too short to play an entire game of AoS.)

I feel like having a AOS Reminders sheet makes me play way faster. It is organized by phase, so each phase I just quickly go down the checklist of things I can do.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Man, those dragons will absolutely gently caress up horde armies. Considering they look to be on Archaon-sized pie plates, you can get *a lot* of models within 3" of them. And all those attacks being 3/3/-2/2 is pretty nuts.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

PotatoManJack posted:

I've done a look around the internet for any upcoming AoS releases, but can't seem to find anything new coming for Khorne in the next 6 months. I've got a ton of Blood Warriors, Reavers, and other units including a Korgath, but I'd really like one of the cool big units like a Blood Thirster... Only thing is I don't love the current big centerpiece models for Khorne and so was wondering if the goon hive mind was aware of any rumored new releases coming for Khorne.

I know some really cool lords / dragons have come out for a lot of other factions, and so was hoping there might be something in store for Khorne.

GW doesn't do release roadmaps far into the future. Generally we find out about new releases a couple of weeks before they hit stores.

The Khorne battletome, although a little long in the tooth, is not particularly old so I wouldn't expect a new battletome until sometime next year. They generally do not release new models for factions except as part of a battletome release.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I am not a fan of doing rules updates in white dwarves.

I am even less of a fan of them reintroducing faction battalions. You guys pulled that poo poo two months ago, and everybody liked it. You couldn't balance batallions. What even is the point of bringing them back?

I'm even less of a fan of them bringing faction specific battle tactics and grand strategies. Right now everyone has access to the same set, so you are aware of what the other guy can do and this enables counterplay. There is no way you can be aware of the faction specific tactics for every faction.

3.0 removed a lot of bloat that was detrimental to the game, it is so weird to see them turn around and reintroduce it.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

Do people actually care about matching painting schemes with rules (space marine weirdos notwithstanding)?

Paint your dollies however you like, dont play with people who cares about it

Absolutely nobody cares in AOS. I dont think most people even know what the color schemes are for their own subfactions, let alone other people's.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

That bird is pretty cool but it ain't no crab.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Talas posted:

Definitely an online phenomenon, my local group is very excited about it and they have been talking about the new rules of Stormcasts and Orruks non-stop.

Literally every single large online community centered around a game is incredibly negative and toxic, and reading them drags your enjoyment of the game down. This applies to both tabletop and video games.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

If they don’t plan to capitalize on the video game fans by offering them a chance to play the new faction in Old World, they’re giant idiots.

They squatted Warhammer Fantasy Battles almost literally the day Total War Warhammer I came out.

The TWW launcher for a couple of days after launch had a giant banner with a picture of the old Karl Franz model with something along the lines of "You've played the game! Check out the miniatures!" which lead to a 404 error.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

I'm hoping Warcry pivots to somehow providing a way to use some of those gorgeous miniatures in Sigmar someday. I really was hoping those "dudes on fire" warband would be usable in something but apparently not.

Dudes on fire are a usable Slaves to Darkness unit.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

wow, had no idea, thanks! Idk why this information somehow escaped my grasp.

They came out after the STD book did, so they aren't included in there. They got rules in a White Dwarf or something.

https://www.wahapedia.ru is a pretty fantastic resource, it collates all of the current rules together in a searchable and well-formatted webpage. It is in a pretty dark gray area legally, but honestly, one of the things that were intimidating to me when I was getting into Warhammer was how spread out the rules were over books, FAQs, and even White Dwarves, so as far as I'm concerned they are doing GW a service.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Danimo posted:

I took my Mega-Gargants to the Hammerfest GT in Houston last weekend and went 4-0-1 in the 73-person event. I got Best Destruction and Best General. The differential-based tournament scoring (my round 1 win was sloppy) and softscores put me out of the Best Overall podium but it was still a very good result and a great time.

My round 5 game was against Archaon Tzeentch and its the game I drew. It was a nailbiter where I was ahead the entire game until Archaon finally tabled me round 5 and I missed my 3vp for my Grand Strategy as a result, pushing us to an exact 28-28 score.

The final game at the top of round 1, where I decided to pin-in his army (at least until he could summon some screamers to fly away and cap objectives):

my army:

Very cool! That is a great performance. Beautiful army, too.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Out of those three, Kharadron are definitely the least forgiving. They are kind of a techy army, based on maneuvering and shenanigans. Ogors would be the easiest to play, but that is entirely down to them having barely any options other than "run at enemy and hit them until they stop moving". Seraphon have a huge range of options, they have strong bashing infantry, lots of options for synergy and magic, and lots of monsters that you can smash into the enemy while making dinosaur noises like a happy toddler. They have also consistently been a strong army for the past few years.

Seraphon also have two Start Collecting boxes that are pretty great value - One based on Skinks, the other on Saurus. If you start by buying a couple of copies of either one, you have the core of an army ready to go.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Seraphon are a fairly recent tome so they wont be up for a new one anytime soon.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/10/11/celebrate-warhammer-day-this-october-with-two-sensational-new-miniatures

This year's Warhammer Day model has been revealed.

And there'll be a reveal stream as well.

Finally, the Dean from Community gets a model.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Two Headed Calf posted:

Also what is up with the mortarch kit? I cant seem to find it anywhere besides GWs website.

The little arrow icon in the bottom left means it is only available directly from GW. They do this for a lot of older kits.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Covermeinsunshine posted:

I honestly need to piss off from facebook aos groups because reading takes from people who can't figure out how to use teleport after bug fix hurts

Not reading online communities for any kind of game is a pretty good rule of thumb. Literally every game I've ever enjoyed has a hugely toxic and negative community that won't shut up about how the game is the worst thing ever and will inevitably die a slow death very soon.

So now I just don't read them and play games and have fun. SA is just about the only exception to this.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Savage orks got new rules last month so they are safe from shitcanning at least until the next ork book.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

I like about 60% of those barbarians in the Red Harvest set but jesus christ some of the women faces are abhorret. That one pinheaded woman with the white hair tuft might be one of the worst faces I have ever seen GW release.

I think the sculpt is actually fine. The paintjob makes her head look tiny because they painted a dark warpaint blotch in the middle of her face, creating the illusion of a extremely narrow head. Gonna have to wait until we see the model unpainted, but I think it will actually look fine.

The model has a narrow, high cheekboned head, but not unusually so, but the paintjob exaggerates it wildly

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Huh, this is out later today? Neat, I might check it out.

And yeah VR games tend to look pretty dated in flatscreen screenshots and videos, simply because they have to render the game twice in smooth 60 fps, preferably higher so polygon counts and fancy graphics effects have to be kept to a minimum compared to regular games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Good job GW. Now if only they'd stop writing the imperium as unambiguous good guys in the vast majority of their fiction.