Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
hey guys I'm researching Age of Sigmar and stuff like that because I'm interesting in the far future to get WarCry, a couple questions:-

Are lizardmen considered good guys now? I looked up the lore and they're now part of the 'Order' faction? or is 'Order' morally neutral term in this setting?

Do normal human beings exist as units? or is it all golden space marines for the human side?
Nevermind I found the regular humans

Also, I really really love the high elves minotaur/cattle theme, it really is a super unique look compared with how elves are typically portrayed.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ok now I know why Age of Sigmar has such incredible mini's they're really expensive compared to 40k even stuff like warcry is on average far more expensive than a kill team box and expansions. the starter set alone is 400-500 dollars and the expansions and teams are more expensive. Still you get what you pay for and those minis are astoundingly beatiful, but if you're gonna pay that much you might as well actually play age of sigmar itself.

Actually holy cow it's like a reverse 40k, getting a big collection of normal Age of Sigmar and factions and terrain is actually far cheaper than trying to assemble a warcry collection! that's crazy! it's like the opposite of 40k!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Order is mostly "good" on the back of your average elf, dorf or human being just an average joe trying to make it. Even if we are talking deepkin - you average deepkin is just a poo poo farmer that will kick it before he is 30 and even still will likely see his children die before him (unless they get soul grafts)

The hell are you talking about? All the boxes for AoS are priced the same as 40k boxes. Heart of Ghur was same price as into the dark. Also all the team rulles are online unlike for KT

sorry I meant to say that collecting normal AoS is far cheaper than collecting Warcry, while in 40k, getting a decent collection of different factions and scenarios for KT is far cheaper than normal 40k. the worst KT will ever do to you price wise just to start playing and gaming is around 200 dollars, up to 300 if you buy two different squads on top, warcry looks like it will have an asking price of 600 dollars if I tried the same starting collection.

maybe I'm super wrong though! I dunno!

I'm probably not gonna get into AoS for another year or so, I'll see what the situation is like then.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

I think War Cry is pretty much the same price as Kill Team as long as you're looking at a current box, it's been going a bit longer than the current Kill Team and is on it's second edition now I think, the latest starter is Heart of Ghur, came out in the summer and that's £90 or thereabouts, in the UK at least, comes with two teams, a board, terrain and all the rules and stuff. You might be looking at an out of print one from before that has much higher prices?

ooohhhh I think I understand where my confusion happened, it's because I googled 'Warcry starter set' and got this:-

https://www.amazon.com/Games-Workshop-Age-Sigmar-Starter/dp/B07VFKL5QM

while the other starter sets like the catacombs and the hearts of ghur are all within normal ranges of 185 bucks or so.

I'm a giant moron, all the other starter sets are well within the same price range as Kill team. my bad.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah if I ever get around to warhammer fantasy it's gonna be a real tough choice to make between the Lizardmen and Minotaur Elves, those designs are loving amazing, the moon goblins are also really really awesome especially the squig models.

Is Age of Sigmar as complex and long as 40k? I wonder how easy the game is to get into compared to 40k.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 10, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

I played Underworlds last night for the first time in years. I always forget how much I like that game.

I’m confused what’s underworld? Is it different from Warcry?

Let’s say someone wants to experience AoS but through a smaller package and entry cost like Kill Team, is underworld or warcry a good direction?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Muir posted:

Underworlds is probably my favorite game right now. And it's definitely different from Warcry. It's a mix of board game and deck building. You have a war band of 3-7 models, the rosters of which are fixed (no customization of equipment or models included in your team). What you can customize are your cards -- you have a deck of objectives you try to achieve to score points, and a deck of upgrades and power cards to play. Plays in three rounds, in each round you activate a model four times. Plays fast, very strategic. It's not AoS but smaller, Warcry is more like that. There are AoS and Warcry rules for the Underworlds war bands if you want to use the models there, but that's it.

https://warhammerunderworlds.com/

Oooooh! This sounds right up my alley!

Is underworlds easy to teach normal people? Is it a nice normal length game? If so I might actually go for that instead of Warcry or AoS, it will be a very nice complement side game to my kill team collection

If you were to reccomend a starting point for underworlds what do you recommend? I would love to have those wierd Mohawk slayer dwarves or Minotaur elves and lizardmen.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 10, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ok the more I look into warhammer underworlds the more I’m sold that this will be a really good complement game to my kill team sessions. Kill team will be my ‘big’ tabletop game while underworlds will be the more casual option. I’ll definitely get this game sooner rather than later.

Just to make sure, if I buy Gnarlwood, would I still Be able to buy other warbands like the Minotaur elves/slayerdwarves/lizardmen and it will work just fine? Or do I have to buy the expansions or rulebooks and compendiums and decks seperately?

Chainclaw posted:

There's a digital version of Underworlds, which is a great way to learn the basic mechanics and flow https://store.steampowered.com/app/1022310/Warhammer_Underworlds_Online/

Wow thanks! This is a great way for me to try the game and system before committing to physical!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 10, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

Buying Gnarlwood gets you everything you need to play and two warbands. Buying additional warbands is one pack and comes with figures and cards.

So they’re compatible and will work with gnarlwood?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

Any WU warband is, yes.

Great thanks!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

drat apparently the cattle elves for AoS underworlds is completely out of stock that’s a shame, that ogre pirate and the vampires looks cool though.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I tried the videogame version of Warhammer AoS underworlds, I was really surprised how much I really enjoyed the game! it's fast, action packed, easy to learn, a fun deck building and melee combat game, and it's perfect as a more casual game to play along side the more involved 'Kill Team' experience.

I am absolutely going to pick up the game! however, because I'll have to ship it across the globe, I would like add some decks and teams on top of the 'gnarlwood' box so that I can have a good collection of stuff and options to last a while.

What other teams/decks/accessories do you reccomend?

From what I'm looking around casually, the teams that caught my eye are the Vampires, Lizardmen Pirate ogre and the sigmar marines, Sadly the Minotaur Elves seem to be completely gone online which is sad because it's by far my favourite looking group from AoS in general other than goblins. oooh the snake people and fish elves look really cool too!

thanks!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

The cow elves are part of a combined box: https://www.amazon.com/Games-Worksh...c0-4513d670b6bc

There's a bunch of cool teams, though. If you want goblins, I'd go for the wolf-rider team, who are really unique in the current AoS landscape.

Thanks for the heads up! Those goblins do look cool.

The issue for me is actually finding a direchasm combined box online, I’ll keep digging and see what happens

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

abravemoose posted:

Painted my gluttons from the Feast of Bones box. From three years ago?

these are great good job!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

With the help of an awesome person who is super smart and handsome I Found a cow elves direchasm box for a good price! Double teamed it with gnarlwood, I’m all set for a while! Super excited!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Gloomspite gitz are my second favourite designs after the cow elves, I love their Moon theme faces and the squig mounts look amazing.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I just got both the gnarlwood and direchasm box, but if the announcement is for an actual moon looking gloomspite gitz war band I’ll happily bankrupt myself and get it

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Wow the gloomspite looncourt team for underworlds look fantastic!

https://youtu.be/r2MyRxAOotE

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 19, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I'm exclusively playing Underworlds so they're perfect for me.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Dreamerdeceiver52 posted:

Did anyone else enter their local GW's Armies on Parade?

I ended up doing up a board for the Gargants posted earlier in the thread:

lol holy poo poo are those like the titans of the fantasy world how is anyone supposed to be able to fight those

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

My gnarlwood and direchasm boxes are arriving tomorrow, so if I end up enjoying the game I’ll absolutely get the moon goblins, after the cow elves the moon goblins are my favourite designs in the AoS universe

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I want to give a big fat warning to people getting AoS underworlds, in this case gnarlwood but also direchasm, be very careful with pushing the pegs of the figures into the holes, the plastic is much more fragile than you expect and the way the models are cast means that weak points are located either on or around the pegs, I almost accidentally broke one of the legs of the skeleton knights (thank gently caress I noticed the bend starting before it was too late) and let me tell you the neighbors had a great time listening to the shriek I let out.

I think I’ll settle for glue thanks.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

peer posted:

was it the left leg of the twohander guy

YES HOLY poo poo WHO THOUGHT THAT LEG WAS IN ANY WAY GOOD FOR A PUSH PEG

it's really annoying because in the direchasm box one of the elves shoulder pads wont close the gap no matter how hard I press the pieces together and got too freaked by the skeleton knights out to try my luck, those things are insanely weak and fragile! I even broke a peg that connected a cape to a back so I had to glue it on, and the top ring of the staff of the cow elf leader was torn in half in the box on the sprue!

really bad moulding design, but I managed to fix it, and overrall I'm really excited to start painting them soon.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 4, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

I assume Steve Jackson needed to pay for another publishing of GURPS.

Holy poo poo the guy who created the fallout battle system is the guy who created Munchkin?! that's crazy!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

This is good to know; I just bought Gnarlwood for myself for my birthday and I HATE losing even a single mini.

Also, Al-Saqr - it's been awesome and encouraging seeing your posts in this and 40k thread, because it looks like the same sort of thing I'm doing with my friends in terms of getting them into the smaller games. I hadn't even given Underworlds a consideration before I started seeing you post about it, and it's SO SIMILAR to this old Marvel tactics tabletop game a bunch of my friends still play. Granted, I've gotten sucked into the hobby part of the games and have been assembling and painting instead of playing, so you've got one up on me.

Hey man thanks dude, I’m just really enjoying these games, im looking forward to trying out underworlds with friends soon, the digital version was what convinced me to buy it since I really enjoyed it when I tried it out. let us know how you and your friends like the game and let’s see the minis when you’re done with them!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The mohawk flame dwarves are so so awesome lol.

When is the 'old world' announcement....

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

LOL the 'go pig or go home' video ruled.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Brettonians rule so hard lol I love those toothless anglo-french illiterates

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

hey guys, I made a friend who actually has an Age of Sigmar starter set he never played it, so we're gonna crack that thing open to give it a try to see how it works since I've always been curious about it, I'm more of a 40k guy myself but I'm super curious how the fantasy version works if it's more focused on Melee combat. any advice?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

yeah that double turn thing sounds like a really not great thing to do with new players especially, they'll absolutely feel that it's bullshit.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

hmmmm it turns out my friend has the 2nd edition smallest starter set for AoS, the stormstrike box I dont think I'll be able to get him to buy the third edition rulebook and battletomes unless we both jump into it financially.

I think what we'll do is try it and find the very basic rules of 3rd edition online, try the stormstrike box, and if we like it I'll try to cajole him into getting the rules and each one of us gets our own army/battletomes.

Now that I think about it, maybe the double turn think makes sense, since the attacker has initiative it makes sense the defender gets a positioning bonus since it's a melee focused game.

lets see, I'll let you guys know when we try the game out, thanks for the input!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 27, 2023

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

S.J. posted:

There's a good chance 4th edition AoS will be coming out this next July as well, so if you want, you can grab the Warcry rules for free and play around with that in the mean time. The rules are pretty different, but Warcry is pretty fun and really easy to learn.

sounds good! will try.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

I've been building a bunch of stuff lately, but posting takes effort. Here's a "Chaos War Shrine."

that rules dude!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I might actually try out AOS in 4th edition, but not as a starter box, I'll probably get two boxes of an army of cities of sigmar and flesh eater courts or something.

I tried out AoS with a friend of mine a couple weeks ago, take note, this was a small game done with the very smallest basic starter set of AoS, from second edition with the Eternals and ghosts in it. literally two squads of basic units, for the eternals it's was hammer bros and ballistas, for ghosts it was banshees and glaive guys.

Two things I noticed

1- What's the point of running around in a map if in the end we have to do melee? are there enough magicians and sorcerers to worry about in the game that cover and positioning and line of sight will matter?

2- It feels like alot of the game is taken up in the actual melee fighting phase, like two thirds of the time was taken up resolving melee combat, can you make more than one squad enter into a fight when there's two people fighting? In 40k I think you're not allowed to charge a unit that's already in melee against another or did I horribly misunderstand something?

3- We never got around to trying out the 'double turn start for the attacker' thing, lets see if that sticks around for 4th.

overall it was good, it just felt like everything halted when our units got into melee combat, maybe it's because we were playing a basic 'kill everyone' mission so there wasnt enough dynamism in the mission we played.

Does age of sigmar have secondaries and tactical objectives?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 15, 2024

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Also why wouldn't more than one unit be able to charge into melee in 40K?

I think I may have completely misread the rules, so when I read 'cannot shoot' my brain automatically went to 'only two people fight each other at any given time'.

I'm such a bozo lol.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

How are Gloomspite gitz as an army? so far for me the three most exciting looking armies are Cities of Sigmar, the Undead faction as a whole, and Gloomspite Gitz.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Gitz are doing very well, and Cities is in a strong position.

You may need to narrow it down regarding what you like about the Death armies. Soulblight are extremely strong even after some recent nerfs, Ossiarch Bonereapers are also in a healthy place. Flesh-eater Courts are in a real standout position of being great in terms of mechanics and lore, but if nothing else, don't buy their book because it's probably not going to be useful in another few months. Nighthaunt are interesting, but critically underpowered at the moment. They all play very differently.

Keep in mind that 4th edition is probably going to be an index edition, so there may be some major rules upheavals, and if you buy into anything right now, make sure you really like it as a holistic block and not just for a particular meta aspect.

What do you mean by holistic block?

Yeah im not gonna buy any books, if i were to say what my probable purchases after 4th edition is out it will probably be a box of cities of sigmar and a tie between the Bonereapers and Flesh eater courts. Gloomspite are also an emotional fave for me.

Im mostly basing my decision on how cool i think they look. Not much more than that.

Theres rumored to be an AoS combat patrol coming out for 4th yeah? So i guess the core rules and two combat patrol boxes would be where i'd go.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

A well rounded looking army instead of 5 boxes of the same unit.

Also they already showed the combat patrols for Flesh-Eater Courts and Cities of Sigmar

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/12/cities-of-sigmar-and-flesh-eater-courts-bolster-their-ranks-with-new-spearhead-boxes/

Nice thats probably where id start along with the core rule book.

Holistically speaking cities of sigmar and bonereapers or flesh court are the armies that make me go 'holy gently caress thats cool' when i see them as a whole, the elve factoons are also incredible but if i were to play the game id like to go for a bloodborne-castlevania look and feel, the vampires are super cool as well but that can be later.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ok that seals the deal im getting Ossiarch Bone reapers as the second army lol i cant say no to a Bone Tiger lol

The only thing i have against the soulblight gravelords is that theres no dandy 'manfred von carstein' figure who looks like dracula from castlevania symphony of the night

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Doing my research into AoS, it does seem like Stormcast went through significant changes each edition to make them more interesting and not just 'fantasy space marines', the miniature quality and overall creativitiy really made huge strides with each edition and the lore was significantly spruced up as well, like for example with their dragon riding and panthers and whatnot. I wonder what they'll do with them in 4th. I'm slowly coming around to them as being interesting rather than just a space marine knock-off.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 19, 2024