Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I'm as bummed as the next guy that the double turn still exists, but I don't see how anyone can say that they did absolutely nothing to address it.
  • CP changes
  • Hero abilities
  • New "Interrupts" e.g. Unleash Hell
  • Endless Spell changes
And I'm sure I missed a few, but I think they did a lot to shift the gameplay in a way that de-emphasizes the priority roll by giving the defending player more agency and interaction during the turn. To me it seems like the guiding principle for this edition was "keep the priority roll at all costs, but mitigate its impact."

I wish that they had just nixed it entirely, but for whatever reason its important to them to keep it. On the bright side, designing around the priority roll might have resulted in some really exciting changes that minimize downtime and make the game more interesting in ways that probably wouldn't have happened otherwise. Obviously no one knows if any of these changes will be successful yet, but it seems really promising to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

So based on conversations I've had with 3 different LGS' (2 in neighboring states), it sounds like the Dominion release is going to be another shitshow.

Each of them got the same allotment of 15 boxes for release day, another 15 in the second week of August and they've then been promised "a ton" of boxes before the end of the year.

Apparently we all missed the asterisk next to GW's statement that there would be "a huge number of boxes available," because while that's technically true, it turns out that the great majority of those won't actually be turning up until Christmas.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Danimo posted:

It’s a one-man project

This is everything wrong with GW in a nutshell.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

New edition, new army! I spent a ton of time testing schemes before landing on this one. Can't wait to completely demoralize all my friends.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I was so pumped for these dragon boys until their faces were revealed. Go figure that GW couldn't stick the landing and make a dope rear end traditional dragon without adding some weird divisive element to it.

Fingers crossed that when dragon-riding Tyrion shows up he's got something a bit more fierce looking.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

So it's still not clear to me where I'm supposed to access this WD content...is there an app?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

There's a rumor floating around that they'll be getting their tome in October 22. Seems a bit too on the nose to me, but who knows?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

I know they did the same thing with CSM and seem to have realized that was a bad idea before they did the Necron update. I dont think they're gonna do that again.

They just did it again with the new ork boyz.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

bagrada posted:

How is it for anyone who got it and actually played it? Like, compared to Gloomhaven or something like that. I almost got it for my board gaming group but their interest was iffy and then it sold out.

Let's just say that the models are the star...

If you've played Gloomhaven, this is going to be a poor comparison, although that's the case with almost every other game on the market. In all seriousness, Cursed City isn't bad by any stretch, and it's pretty good for a GW board game. The biggest issue I have with it is that all of the enemies feel too similar and for the players ranged attacks are kind of OP. I'm hoping that they address that in the expansion.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Captain Magic posted:

I play around with both and the reason AOS is hard for me to pick up is the same reason that 40K is hard to stick with; the mental load.

I’m the sick creep who kind of enjoys all the rules and data sheets and stratagems of 40k (though I agree it’s too much), buuuut as cool as AOS is, having to set up a game even at home and learn the armies and such is just a little too much when I’m already thinking so much about the 40K stuff. I even have some really simple, straightforward AOS armies, but trying to think about a brand new kind of tactics just deadends my brain. I feel like I’d have to drop 40k altogether to make the bandwidth for it, and I just don’t want to right now.

So for other people who maybe are more annoyed with 40k than I am, but who still aren’t playing AOS even if they can, I imagine it is something similar where their pains with the game has not outpaced their pleasure yet.

Yeah for me it's definitely this. I also think GW bungled the rollout of AoS 3 pretty bad with the lack of updated tomes since launch. It feels like they launched the game and then immediately pivoted the majority of their resources into pumping out new 40k content.

To your point, that hasn't been necessarily good for either game, but if you were already a 40k player it makes it that much harder to put much energy into AoS.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

It's interesting that a leak of rules and order of army releases (like the one that 40k had at the start of the year) just kinda hangs out there and is continually reaffirmed as things come out. But if the leak includes images of models, then GW is super quick to issue an official announcement, even if the release isn't for the better half of a year.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

That little chaos warrior familiar has big Sassy Nurgling Energy.

I honestly had zero interest in resubbing to WH+ for another year, but just when I think that I'm out...they pull me back in.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

If you paid annually then I think you were eligible for the model starting at the end of July, but GW did a hilariously bad job of instructing subscribers on what to do to get the model.

I assumed that they would just send me an email to tell me it's time to confirm my address or something, but instead you have to proactively go to the gw store site, search for the wh+ model you want, and then add it to your cart and check out. It will show up as a $0.00 item if you are eligible, and if not it will tell you the date when you're able to place the order.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I haven't played since about 2019, but have a pretty sizeable STD force and would like to get back into it with the new battle tome. Can anyone suggest resources for learning 3rd edition beyond reading the rulebook? I have a hard time groking it that way and learn so much better watching a video or even listening to a podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

edit: Also just nitpicking but it's kinda weird how every new kit they announce with Skinks involved seems to give them a new head shape lol. Or maybe it's just the way they're painted.

The new skink sculpts definitely have a different head shape and it's the one thing I wish they hadn't tried to update. At least on this most recent release the paint job mitigated the "snout" effect a bit more than on some of the other newish releases like the blood bowl team.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 21, 2023