Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Mikey Purp posted:

I'm as bummed as the next guy that the double turn still exists, but I don't see how anyone can say that they did absolutely nothing to address it.
  • CP changes
  • Hero abilities
  • New "Interrupts" e.g. Unleash Hell
  • Endless Spell changes
And I'm sure I missed a few, but I think they did a lot to shift the gameplay in a way that de-emphasizes the priority roll by giving the defending player more agency and interaction during the turn. To me it seems like the guiding principle for this edition was "keep the priority roll at all costs, but mitigate its impact."

I wish that they had just nixed it entirely, but for whatever reason its important to them to keep it. On the bright side, designing around the priority roll might have resulted in some really exciting changes that minimize downtime and make the game more interesting in ways that probably wouldn't have happened otherwise. Obviously no one knows if any of these changes will be successful yet, but it seems really promising to me.

You also get to destroy an objective if you go second on round 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm not looking forward to a new Age of Sigmar app. The 40k app is garbage, and the AoS app has been totally fine, I have no idea why they're replacing it.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The official tools for Age of Sigmar are pretty good. The app has images which helps a lot with visually checking your list, it integrates with purchasing the Battletomes, so when you buy the book you get access to the information from it in the list builder, and the interface is much quicker to put something together than Battlescribe.

The web app I haven't spent as much time with, but it's pretty quick to toss stuff together there, but it's weird they don't have the images there.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

How are people making AoS 3 lists right now? https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/ and Azyr both aren't updated yet, and I want to plan out how I get my Gloomspite army to 2k.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I don't know why I'm surprised, but it still baffles me how poorly organized these launches are. I assumed they would have all this ready to go, pre-patch the apps with the updated points and flip the switch to turn it on today. They also haven't shipped my preorder rulebook I placed 6/19. I thought preorders were supposed to be release date delivery?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

There's no AoS app for 3.0 yet, is there? Do the new Battletomes come with a code for a digital version like 40k does now, or will digital and physical be sold separately like AoS 2.0?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

So far I really prefer the old app to the new app.

For list building, it mixes allies and non-allies in the selection, so for some armies there's a bunch of stuff to scroll through.

The other thing I don't like here so far is how they group units. In the old app, you got a heading per unit type, and you added based on unit type. It made it much quicker to scan what was where, and where you were relative to limits.

Exporting the army is way better, at least.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Randalor posted:

If I wanted to get into AoS, out of the Seraphons, Overlords or Ogors, which would be the easiest/cheapest to build a starting army for? And which of the three is the most forgiving for making misplays?

Seraphon stuff is mostly online order only, so it's a hassle to actively collect.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So I’ve been getting into Warhammer 40 K and working on models and stuff recently and it’s been a lot of fun. I decided to take my son to the Warhammer store (he’s going to be 6 next month and due to COVID we don’t get to go to as many stores as before, but luckily he’s great with masks), because he’s been saying how cool the age of Sigmar stuff looks from the free catalogs. He also thinks the space wolves look cool. He’s super excited to work on the models since they’re push fit ones, so no glue is needed.

So long story short, he now owns this.

I need to figure out a way to create some exceptionally simplified rules for him to play by, he loves playing with dice in math class and numbers, so I’m thinking of something where distance is a dice roll and combat is some simple dice vs armor stuff.

I’m just hoping the paints I have for Cadian and Astra Militarum and Ultramarines will transfer off, but yeah I have a feeling that’s mostly wishful thinking.

There are a lot of kid friendly, simple games on Itch that you could probably re-theme, like Clay Creatures https://s-jared.itch.io/clay-creatures you would lose out on the fun of dismantling the fighters, but this ruleset seems otherwise adaptable.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

They really want you using your tiny phone with a tiny screen to manage Warhammer stuff instead of your large computer monitor with a nice keyboard and mouse interface. They also stopped selling ebooks of the rules.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

peer posted:

yeah, they're their own faction. they're ghosts, not skeletons

a shameful ghost fights his own skeleton

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

poo poo.

That would be an amazing story.

I had that specific idea when the bonereapers launched, and have some random notes for a story

Explain who the narrator is:
Semi-recently deceased. He’s a ghost that has lost track of his skeleton.
Explain the stakes:
His skeleton is doing things that are getting him in trouble in the afterlife, he’s being held accountable for things his skeleton is doing.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

If you told me this was a premise for a Discworld novel, I wouldn't even raise an eyebrow. Are you from the UK by any chance?

hah, no, but I had read all the Discworld novels in like 2017 or 2018 so it was probably fresh in my mind.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Some quick and dirty paint jobs. I'm still recovering from covid so painting was rough, a lot of shaky hands. I also bought these when my backlog was already giant, so I tried to get them done asap to not feel guilty about doing that.

I got the big boat boy because he reminds me of one of my favorite Elden Ring bosses. The archers were because it seems useful to have some ranged units in my list.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Marmaduke! posted:

I've never gone in to a GW store to ask for their free mini of the month... I find it hard to imagine, do you waltz up to the counter and engage in small talk or some kind of pretence of spending full-retail cash before saying "please sir, gimme the freebie"? But to think that in July the giveaway is a model I previously owned and sold like a hundred of over a decade ago is quite mindboggling...

when my buddy tried to get one, he said there's a line before the store even opens when the new monthly model is available and they get gotten real fast, they don't last long at all. I think once they've made it to lunch time the first day of the new model for a month, when it was a less popular model?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Finished 5 more crossbow ghosts, the five on the right. This will probably be it for Age of Sigmar a bit, I've got a huge 40k backlog to get back to.

This puts me at over 4,000 points of painted ghosts.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Rules question: For Craventhrone Guard, can the Standard Bearer also be the champion?

Wording on the unit card makes it sound like yes: "1 in every 5 models in this unit can be a Spectral Standard Bearer." and "1 model in this unit can be a Craven Huntmaster" but my friends aid you can't, is there something in the core rules preventing it?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

There's a digital version of Underworlds, which is a great way to learn the basic mechanics and flow https://store.steampowered.com/app/1022310/Warhammer_Underworlds_Online/

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

OK, probably against my better judgement I'm now debating picking up Gloomspite Gitz: Stampeding Squigalanche

It's out of stock on GW but not in other stores, can anyone advise me what I'd be missing to have a proper army?

I don't have the book, I know I want to get the looncourt and the gobbapalooza, but IDK what ever I need else to get for just a basic 1k army. I don't think I like the squigs as much as I like the gobbos

The current book sort of divides the army into 4 categories: Goblins, squigs, spiders, and troggoths. This means you get the most synergies sticking to one of those 4 categories as much as possible. However, like everyone else pointed out, the new book is probably going to change things.

I don't think AoS 3 books have changed terrain to cost points, so the Loonshrine's probably a good call to get. There's basically no reason to not bring faction terrain in AoS if your faction has it.

After that, I'd probably get the Shaman, it's hard to imagine the spell caster of the army becoming worthless in a new book.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Those are all such great models

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

What's a good source for neoprene objective mats for Age of Sigmar? The objective size is too large to do what I did for 40k (laser cut mylar sheets)

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

12" round might be possible to laser cut on a glowforge Pro, or do in halves on a regular glowforge. Is mylar like clear acrylic or a similar material?

Remember those overhead projectors they'd wheel out in the '80s and '90s in class? It's that floppy transparent plastic used on those.

I want them to look nice, glued together wouldn't look that nice. I've got the mid-range Glowforge, not a pro.

I'm leaning toward these right now: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1150363728/neoprene-zones-for-age-of-sigmar-stony-6

But the gotcha is they wouldn't be here until after the 16th, and I was hoping to get a game in on MLK weekend.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I was able to find some locals who are just getting started out with playing AoS!

I haven't played yet but it looks like soon (everyone nearby plays 40k, but seems there are a few small groups here and there I'm learning about)

I'm trying to figure out what small 500pt bundle of minis to bring. Here's what I got:

Gloomspite Gitz:
Stampeding Squigalanche
Skragrott the Loonking
Fungoid Cave-Shaman Snazzgar Stinkmullett
Grinkrak's Looncourt

Ossiarch Bonereapers:
Mortisan Tithe-Echelon
Gothizzar Harvester
Mortisan Boneshaper
Kainan's Reapers
Necropolis Stalkers

Stormcast Eternals:
Stormcast 1/2 of the Dominion Box, google says should be like 1350 or something points?

Not looking for meta just looking for fun. I want to figure out how to bring the underworld minis...

also for GSG, I know I'm getting gobbopalooza when that's back in stock, for sure, but would getting "loonboss" be worth it? sounds like a "lord" unit or "hq" but it looks rad, so I might get it anyways

I wouldn't use the underworld minis. They tend to be a pain in the rear end to use because every model ends up with a unique weapon, attack range, etc. This means the Looncourt has 4 different weapons, with 3 different ranges (16", 2", 1"), different to hit / wound rolls, etc. Mollog's Mob is the only underworlds team I've found that works ok in Age of Sigmar when I've tried to use them, because the other models aren't gameplay models (they don't die / have attack ranges / etc) so you're basically just bringing a troggoth.

500 point games for age of sigmar are kind of a challenge to play for Age of Sigmar, more-so than 40k, but if you're with other new players and mostly just looking to play introductory games to learn it, you should be able to make it work.

I wouldn't randomize the mission to do with the small lists, I would sit down with your opponent and both lists, and try to pick a mission that both of you have a chance of doing much on. At 500 points, you're just not going to have a ton of units to chase after objectives. Realistically you'll probably just play "We put our models on opposite ends of the table, last team standing wins" and not do much for objectives.

I don't know much about the other factions, but for Gitz I would recommend, to make an OK 500 point game:
Leaders: Fungoid Cave-Shaman and Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (make him your general)
Units: Squig Herd, Boingrot Bounders

This comes out to 450 points, and you have a wizard, so you can bring an endless spell if you can proxy in anything for one.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I only want the book and squig herder

Edit: are the data cards worth it

the data cards are worth it maybe if you can convince your opponents to not play with any FAQs, updates, or errata. I think sometimes GW has gotten fast enough at minor updates that the cards are out of date on the retail release.

Just print out what you need before a game so you have the latest info. Age of Sigmar reminders is still a fantastic site and I wish 40k had anything similar https://aosreminders.com/

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm not sure, I got some squigs and some bouncy boys but idk where else to take my army now

It's not a good time to try and plan a Gitz list, the book isn't out yet so you've just got previews and reviews to go off of.

Also kind of lame that GW didn't have a restock of the Gitz line with this, I put in an order early Saturday to get the Battletome pre-ordered and half the Gitz line was out of stock.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The Deleter posted:

Deranged new Deepkin model idea - it's a massive anglerfish that can transport namarti in its mouth and has a devastating bite attack that it can't use when it has said namarti in its mouth.

Also make the lure light a laser gun.

At the beginning of the battle, the Deepkin player secretly writes down one objective marker. At any point in the battle, the Deepkin player can remove that objective marker from the board and replace it with the anglerfish, the objective was the fish's lure.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Crazy Ferret posted:

Clan Eshin and Moulder are in dire need of some new models. The rat ogres are just shameful to see. The old monkey skaven look with Eshin is hard to see alongside the newer sculpts.

Plenty of great third party options mind you, but still.

These rat ogres look totally fine, but GW only sells the ugly ones right now for some reason

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I thought the reason they didn't put them out was they mixed the sprues in a way they didn't want to resell them?

Some combination of having a sprue with mixed High Elf and Skaven parts, and/or having the Rat Ogre parts spread over multiple sprues so they wouldn't be able to cleanly sell them without including a bunch of parts to half build other models.

edit: Found images of the sprues, and yeah it's a mess

https://bigorbitgames.co.uk/warhammer-island-of-blood-review/ has all the sprues

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

for these kind of games I just print off their character sheet or whatever and if someone asks I just point to the sheet

GW doesn't put that info on all warscrolls.

You can optionally equip one of these guys with a drum, this one does show the drum, so you could do that there.

But for this one, there are two optional alternate models: Champion and Standard Bearer. Also the app is broken and it lists one twice.

A printout wouldn't make it clear which one is the Champion, and which one is the Standard Bearer in the unit. Standard Bearer is usually obvious, with a big flag. Champion is less obvious, so I think it's fair to require models like that to be very clearly marked.

I've definitely hosed up and accidentally swapped who my Champion for a unit was mid-game in Age of Sigmar in casual games.

I just looked again, adding a Champion is actually optional, too, weird.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Lucinice posted:

I want to get a 3d printer some day for terrain. I don't know if I'll get one for minis because one of the only places around me I can play is an official GW store.

the 3D printers that are good for terrain are a lot safer and easier to use than the ones that do minis. Especially if you have kids/pets, a spool of rolled up plastic is less of a concern than a dangerous liquid that can easily spill.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

edit: wrong thread

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 13, 2023

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

My interest in Old World is currently at zero. Modern Age of Sigmar basically addresses most of the problems I had with Warhammer Fantasy originally.

However, if they announce Vampire Coast as a faction and specifically the Necrofex Colossus getting a model (and the other good stuff like Rotting Leviathan), my interest goes to 100. I'll learn to play the slow square based game that requires you to spend way more on models compared to AoS and 40k if it's got good poo poo like the Necrofex Colossus.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

I'm pretty sure they just removed it because almost all of it looked like trash and had rules to match and probably barely sold at all.

I like the one AoS Forgeworld thing I got. I think the rules are trash for it but I like how it looks and conceptually artillery squid should be fun to use in a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Gato The Elder posted:

a friend and i are getting into AoS and have built up a modest collection of a few factions: Gloomspite, Skaven, Nighthaunts, and Seraphon. We plan to play entirely within our friend group, and I'd like any advice you all have on playing AoS 'casually' (a loaded word, I know) and with those factions.

Things I'm kinda curious about include:
1. How is the narrative play in AoS? I don't have enough experience with the game to intuit anything about play experience based just on the battlepacks/plans
2. Is Path To Glory similar to Crusade in 40k? Is it any good?
3. If we're not building any skew lists, is there anything we should worry about re the relative power level of those factions? For example, I've heard that Gloomspite are Quite Good if you really lean into the squig herds; if I don't do that will the faction feel 'balanced' (ish) vs the others?
4. We're going to start with smaller games, but I don't have an exact number. Is 1000 a spot? 500? I know in other systems games below or above certain thresholds can get kinda weird, so I'd love some advice on keeping games fun when we're not in the sweet spot

The main thing I'd suggest at smaller point sizes is Age of Sigmar moreso than 40k can devolve into everything blobbing up into one melee fight ball.

Skew lists in Age of Sigmar at 1,000 points aren't as much of a problem as 40k, luckily, so 1,000 point games are easier to play without coordinating lists as much ahead of time.

General list building tips for fun games at 1,000 points: Avoid any models that are over 200 points individually, that's 1/5 of your list and can skew the game. Try to go for more multi-model units than leaders, maybe keep your leader point spend around 300? So basically 300 points for leaders, and 700 points for battleline and other units.

If I were to play my Nighthaunt in a 1,000 point game right now, this is roughly what I'd play. I know this isn't meta competitive, but it's a casual 1,000 point game not a competitive game, and I want it to be fun:

Leaders:
Awlrach the Drowner - 170 points
Spirit Torment - 120 points

Battleline:
Chainrasps - 110 points
Chainrasps with reinforcements - 220 points
Spirit Hosts - 130 points
Grimghast Reapers - 130 points
Craventhrone Guard - 90 points

Again, not particularly competitive, but this gets me 4 regular size blobs of units on the table, one huge 20 model blob, and two leaders, so 7 units total.

I would purposely not bring Kurdoss Valentian, Lady Olynder, the Briar Queen, a Black Coach, or a Mourngul because all of those are more than 200 points for a single model.

I've made the mistake of playing a 1,000 point game with like 3 or 4 units before, and it's not fun for either person really.