Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

For the most part their positive aspects have been surpassed by their negative aspects. Their worshipers may have more nuance and view their patron with positive features. But the Chaos Gods have long been overtaken by their worse natures.

I agree and I think it's mostly an issue with the framing of all these stories. Every rulebook/codex/battletome has always had some little bit where they mention that the Chaos gods have positive aspects, e.g. Khorne can embody martial honour and Tzeentch hope and ambition. But ultimately they're the bad guys of the setting and they need to be cast as threatening and dark. So the metaphysical aspects tend to get lost under a wave of horrible evilness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

Guessing we will get a Stormcast box and Kruleboy/Orruk Warclans box to go with Dominion just like how we got a Space Marine box and Necron box after Indomitus.

Also I played my first game of AoS today with my Stormcast and enjoyed it quite a bit, even if my opponent brought a Morathi I couldn't kill. I just took a grab bag of units from Dominion and while I was disappointed in the performance of my Knight-Arcanum and Knight-Vexilor (though at least with the Vexilor its because I hosed up on his positioning and couldn't use the banner at the right time) I was extremely impressed with my Annihilators. They managed to come down and annihilate (heh) an entire unit of witch elves in a single round of combat and then proceeded to tank small morathi and an entire unit of khinerai while the rest of my army was killed by big morathi.

All in all I had a lot of fun, the game seems a lot snappier and flows a lot better than 40k which can get bogged down with stratagems and all sorts of other special abilities. Looking forward to expanding my Stormcast and getting some decent shooting units and monsters in my list.

Great! I had my first game of 3rd Ed last night too (I've played like 3 games of 2nd Ed, over about a year). I also found it really interesting, there were a lot of bits where I found myself thinking what I could of / should of done with command abilities or picking certain units to fight.

Is it me though, or do some games seem to be dominated by huge god units? Like the Morathi you mentioned, or Archaon? My opponent had a bloodthirster and until I finally took it down it just melted things one by one. I guess to some extent this has always been the Warhammer way - I remember complaints about hero hammer in 5th Ed WHFB, although I wasn't old enough to fully understand the games tactics. But I'm much more interested in pushing around the little soldiers than seeing my ultimate hero mk2000 obliterating the whole enemy army.

Is it m

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Thanks all - and yeah, I wasn't complaining about the Bloodthirster, I do understand it isn't on quite the same level as Archaon, Morathi, Teclis et al. It did indeed go down eventually despite the Heroic Recovery action being used a couple times. Its particular command ability (I think my friend said it was its command trait as his general) to fight twice, immediately, was very intimidating though!

My Doombull and Chaos Lord between them wee eventually able to bring it down, although he was extremely unlucky not to kill both of them when he attacked, Finest Hour on my Doombull combined with 2 luck saves is all that kept me in it.

Minotaurs (bullgors) are insane damage dealers BTW. That is sort of what puzzles me when just starting this game. I was never a competitive WHFB player but I was quite read up on the rules and it all sort of made sense to me, some units had lances or great weapons, some had sword & shield, I'd kind of internalised what they did and had an idea of how killy units were based on their appearance and reputation. Now it's just a strange new world of discrete warscrolls. For example, Chaos Chosen, as tough or less tough than Warriors for more points, don't seem that much more killy. Exalted Champions, which I'd sort of figured would be like Lords just a bit less so, have a very random D6 attacks. Why? I haven't yet arrived at the point where it all makes sense to me.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Look, I will not lie to you - a lot of stuff does not make sense and a lot of legacy units like the ones you mentioned have very little thought put into them. However, once you play more some stuff will click in place for you, I think.

Myself, I've been watching Conquest battle reports for the past two days and still can't make sense of how balance works in that game, so I imagine this is true for any tabletop game.

Thanks for that mate. As you say, I'm sure that while it may be random numbers from a dartboard for some older models, the wider picture makes some kind of sense.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Slaves is a mega weird one because we got a new starter box and some new units and sculpts, but they never released new sculpts for a bunch of units IN the starter box.

eta: To be specific, the Chaos Warriors you can buy in a separate box are still the lil potty pose grumpymans, as opposed to the more outlandish and posed ones in the Start Collecting

I remember the older, all-the-same-pose Chaos Warriors being such a cool new release back in the day. I have just yesterday been gifted an old box of 20 or so of them by a mate (assembled, half painted, mold lines left on) and by god they don't hold up to the new SC box sculpts. Same basic design precepts, but smaller, softer detail and so much less dynamic. A little worried about how well they will mesh together on the table, although the right base sizes may help.

However I also got given a classic-sculpt Archaon on his rearing horse, which will make an absolutely perfect 'lord on daemonic mount'.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

DLC Inc posted:

whewwwwwww my store just got their shipment of Holga Clovenhorn in, beyond stoked. This is gonna lead down the rabbit hole of getting that Slaves To Darkness big box for sure.

Not trying to add to your troubles man, but the Slaves to Darkness SC box is absolutely sick. I'm just finishing details off on the chaos warriors, terrific models, and about to start the knights. They're so drat good that comparable multi-part kits would be a pre-order purchase for me.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I voted for Khagra's Ravagers because I want more current-gen Chaos Warrior type models.

Went to WHW yesterday to play a couple games of AoS. My Slaves to Darkness, my buddy's Blades of Khorne (who were the only opponent I'd ever played previously), Stormcast Eternals, and Maggotkin.

I managed to win on objectives against the Stormcast, we were both struck by how tanky our armies were in most instances. I'm very relieved that chaos warrior types have a 5+ ward against mortal wounds, but god drat that Stormcast ability to generate MWs against enemies within 1" on 6s whenever they are destroyed in combat is diabolical. Cost me a lot of casualties. Apart from that his scariest things were 2 ballistas, which I fortunately managed to neutralise with disposable marauder horsemen, a unit of Evocators(? wizard troops) which cut down most of my unit of 20 chaos warriors over a few turns, and his chariot - I figured charging that thing rather than being charged was a good idea. My 10 chaos warriors half-killed it in that turn, but it then chewed through all 10 over the next few rounds.

We then had a team game, funniest thing was at the bottom of round 1, my Sorcerer Lord tries to cast, the enemy Slaughterpriest rolls an 8 to dispel, which straight up deals D6 MWs to the caster. Rolled 5, killed him instantly. I was fuming!

Things went bad to worse as my Krakadrak lord and knights did rather less well than expected against a Maggotkin lord and elite units on giant flying insect things. Then got charged by a "Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage" which, by rolling some 6s to hit, distributed about 10 MWs to each enemy unit within 8", ie most of my forces. I had very little to do in that game after that!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

Personally I think people are sleeping on Maggotkin. The reception reminds me a lot of the Soulblight book, which was widely panned as weak when it came out, but ended up being an extremely solid book. In particular, a lot of armies just can't deal with the sheer amount of mortal wounds this book shits out.

I also love the design - the book just feels super right for Nurgle. Slow, extremely tough, and if you stay near them too long your face starts sloughing off.

I know bugger all about the wider competitive game here, but insofar as I could follow my friend's contagion points mechanic, it did just seem to inflict a steady stream of mortal wounds on me.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So I played my first game against Maggotkin of Nurgle last night (I have slaves to darkness). Wooh boy those guys are tough, and the constant stream of mortal wounds once you're in combat with them is a real killer. We were fairly level on objectives - battleplan was Tectonic Interference - but I simply ran out of men after a while. I was tabled in Round 5, score 28-22 to him (and it would have been 28-20 if I'd not won the roll to go first in Round 5, as he could have tabled me at the top of the round. Are those guys considered a top-tier army now or anything? They seem to be at quite an advantage against my chaos warriors or another mate's Blades of Khorne.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Maggotkin's mortal wound output is quite nasty against certain armies, and they're very tough to shift, but overall their damage output is actually pretty anemic and they're extremely slow. They're definitely not top-tier and while I think they're getting underestimated a bit right now just because they got a new book that wasn't absurdly power-crept, most competitive players seem to think they are a B-tier army and I'd be inclined to agree. They're quite solid and very fluffy now, but shooting armies like KO and Lumineth just laugh them off the board and it doesn't seem like they're able to pump out enough damage to reliably kill a mega-gargant in one turn, which would pretty much disqualify them from being a top tier army automatically.

That said I'm excited to see if some strong builds shake out for them because they're a joy to paint, and small, elite armies without a ton of annoying rules interactions to keep track of are my favorite armies to play.

Thank you for the context! I think you might be referring to a level of competition beyond me and my friends' current level of understanding - and I'm not sure any of our armies would qualify as B-tier. But good to know they're not considered a broken book or anything.

So far they are not considered anything special but might be a sleeper. What kinda bugs me is that S2D should have good game against them since you have good average saves and 5+ against mortal wounds. Especially now that most of their stuff deals out disease instead of straight mortals

Thanks - the disease points did seem to rack up quite quickly for me actually, maybe it doesn't help to be an exclusively close-combat army where things tend to get bogged down in combat for multiple turns. The 5+ save against MWs on knights and warriors was helpful, but also spiky - there were times he scored 3 MWs on me and saved all of them, and others where he scored 5 and they all went through. I did notice that when the disease hit my units without such a save (Marauder Horsemen or Sorcerer Lords) they went through them like tissue paper.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Dreamerdeceiver52 posted:

Two Maw-Krushas done - 6 pigs to finish, then I have an army ready to go.

Awesome looking models dude. Love the teeth and wing-tip-teeth-things. Is the base a sculpted plastic one or something? The detail looks really sharp, fair play if you've built them up with cork or something.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I'm very keen to see new-style Chaos Chosen, hopefully warriors/knights, the new characters, and whatever Legionnaires are. Hadn't thought they might be chaos dwarves, if so then it all depends what style they go with. I would like some sort of shooting unit in the army. Kind of glad this stuff isn't out until winter, gives me time for other projects!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

peer posted:

That's the new named character, Eternus. The new Chaos Lord on mount looks like this

Surely that's a dual kit then right?

Geisladisk posted:

The leaks had this photo, which includes the new Chaos Lord on Demonic Mount, as well as these guys standing next to him that are probably the legionaries.

Seems kind of redundant for the faction who already has iconic Heavily Armored Guys (i.e Chaos Warriors) to add another flavour of Heavily Armored Guy. I'd rather not head into the same kind of bloat that Space Marines and Stormcast have where they have multiple redundant units that all do basically the same thing, but one inevitably ends up as the optimal choice.

Also noteworthy that they seem to have both 2h weapon and 1h/shield options.

They look rad though.

I hadn't seen that pic, thanks! Yeah it's difficult to see what their angle is going to be that's different from the 'normal' Chaos Warriors and the Chosen. They look to have a slightly more slender aesthetic? Armour is a bit different, more like kruleboyz/mordor orcs. Almost disappointed they're not Chaos Dwarves (assuming these are the Legionnaires) but realistically I don't love a lot of dwarf models, they end up looking ridiculously short and stumpy in this scale.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

I wonder if they'll just replace Marauders maybe? Seems like they'd have a lot of overlap otherwise and those sculpts are definitely ready for retirement.

Perhaps eventually - Marauders and M Horsemen are definitely still in the table of contents of the leaked battletome though.

I really, really like the design of the newer Warcry Spire Tyrants and Darkoath Savagers, which are broadly similar to classic marauders, but the Warcry scale pisses me off something fierce. All the models are on different size bases, and that would be easy enough to fix, but they're also sized to those bases. So your basic warband fodder (I assume, that's what they are, haven't played Warcry) really is half the size of the warband champions. IMO it makes them look funny as part of a larger army.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

smug jeebus posted:

Really bummed that we didn't get clearer pics of those chaos bros

Likewise, I thought since they'd already leaked we'd surely be shown the whole range. Ah well, something to look forward to.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

My most recent tome purchases arrived yesterday. Not a ton of new lore in the Nighthaunt but the DoK one has some really amazing plot updates that fully commit to us being in the Oh No phase of Morathi’s genius plan,

I've never really engaged with the AoS fluff but I remember Morathi and Malekith having the classic recurring dark lord problem in old whfb. Like every big event in their back story was some variation on:
-set up everything perfectly, overwhelming force, treachery/surprise, couldn't possibly lose
- invade your good guy enemies, crush resistance, win some battles, all seems lost for the goodies
- forces defeated by pluck or ingenuity of heroes
- lose the final duel because of your lack of true dedication/bravery/commitment relative to aforementioned heroes
- cowardly slink off, abandoning your forces and vowing revenge.

And this is all inevitable if the villainous big bads are recurring characters, and it doesn't make them very good protagonists in my opinion. No one really wants to see their army led by Malekith in the wya they'd envision their own custom general as their avatar on the tabletop. Cause you know that ultimately he's a prick who will gently caress it all up like he's done so many times before.

Then they did the end times thing and it turns out the villainous gobshite was the rightful king of the elves all along, who knew?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Oh, that is great to know! I kind of hope with the new book the SoD release some Chaos Warriors that match the style of the start collecting box. I like the way they look and could go for a few more, but don't want to buy another start collecting box because I don't need another big lizard thing.

Mors Rattus posted:

Warriors getting a stand-alone release is high on rumors, and we know we’re getting a new Daemon Prince, a new centaur type guy, and a new ogroid.

Pictures have leaked already where you can glimpse new multi-part knights and warriors (or if not multipart, at least different to the SC sculpts - included command models and a warrior with halberd option). We've seen Chaos Chosen as well, big heavy elite chaos warriors. As well as the DP, centaur marshal and ogroids, we know there's a mounted chaos lord character, Belakor's herald, who seems to be a dual kit with a generic mounted chaos lord? And there is one confirmed Warcry warband, the Horns of Hashut, and one new unit which appears to be a Warcry band, the Chaos Legionnaires.

Overall a pretty big release and I'm super optimistic.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

peer posted:

d6 mortals for each model in this unit. ie, the chariot unit

Lol, thanks, I also got this wrong.

Glad to see the leaks. I was previously using my models as Ravagers, who got far worse, but they've now added another subfraction which rallies warriors/knights/chosen on a 4+. Since those are the units I'm all about, will probably switch to them.

I've got a decent array of heroes and 30 warriors already, but will definitely end up with some more knights and chosen.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

bagrada posted:

Do the made-to-order products show up on ebay or in stores later at all? I realized last week that I really want one of those horse-mounted Archaeons for my casual mounted chaos army. Maybe the sorcerer too but I'm not as worried about that one. I missed the period where they were on GW. The article about them said they'd be for sale until 11/28 then they'd be sent out sometime in the next six months. I don't see any listed on ebay yet. Do I just give it a few months and check again or am I probably SOL?

edit: looking for the first guy here
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/11/13/sunday-preview-classic-chaos-kits-return-on-made-to-order-basis/

Are you in the UK mate? I've got an old metal one lying around.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

I started working on Slaves to Darkness army today, and they will likely be my big project for the early part of the year, after that I plan to have at least one 40k army ready for the 10th edition release

Oh, what have you started off with? I'm trying to finish painting mine so I can buy some of their new models without feeling guilty.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

I started putting together the Chosen yesterday (excellent models) and once those are finished Im gonna get the Ogroids together. Not sure how much Ill put together before priming them all but after the army set is assembled I have two start collectings and the Warhammer+ Chaos Sorcerer model to do. After that I have a speed painting tutorial I found on YouTube that Im gonna use as the starting point for my army's paint scheme.

Edit: here's the tutorial https://youtu.be/xsMiwnRp08o

Seems rock solid to me mate. Warriors, knights and chosen are all great, and that's a solid ratio of them. It's actually quite funny, I follow a Reddit page for StD and like half the posts are people putting up an army box and/or SC box and asking 'is this a good place to start'.

I'm looking forward to getting some of the chosen, and new knights and warriors command pieces. Probably a mounted lord as well.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

If you have any kind of banner lying around, the knight with the upturned lance is really easy to turn into a standard bearer.

You gotta get a bit more creative for the musician. Mine is tormented the ghost of a trumpeteer he killed, who follows him around going doooooooot. I very nearly bought the Kurdoss Valentian kit just to get his dooters.

What a cool idea! I was just going to cut the end off a horn from another chaos kit, and glue it partly underneath a shield.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Khazalid Empire was the original Duardin Nation in AoS's Age of Myth. It was destroyed during the Age of Chaos with it's survivors splitting into the Kharadron Overlords and Dispossessed and it had close ties to the Fyreslayer Lodges that ended. A fair amount of recent lore has talked about the restoration of the Khazalid Empire, with talks of Alliance between the major Duardin factions, with Grungni, Grombindal, and Gotrek all expressing interest in it's restoration and the reclamation of it's great Karaks, along with rumors that Grungni intends to bring Valaya back to the Mortal Realms as well.

I'm no great fan of the AoS lorez I much preferred the old WHFB setting. But it seems to me that this is an easier way to manage factions than the current split. Even if they never plan to support the legacy dwarf models or introduce new stuff with that aesthetic, the Fyreslayers at least seem way too threadbare to be their own faction. I have no experience of how they play on the tabletop, but visually they're just the same loincloth mohawk dudes all with slightly different axes, and a dragon monster. Seems they'd do much better as units in a larger faction.

The kharadron overlords on the other hand do seem distinct and varied enough to stand on their own merits.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

Friday night, posting tiny plastic toys on a dead forum in a thread for a game I still haven't played. That might change soon, at least.

I'm not usually the biggest stormcast fan but these look phenomenal!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JBP posted:

All I can say to this is lol sounds terrible

I have to say that I've built that kit as well and it didn't strike me as particularly bad. Bit stiff, but with a bit of pushing they clicked together absolutely fine.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Captain Magic posted:

you sit in your loving tower

Lol, sorry mate. Perhaps I did find it deeply traumatic and my hindbrain has wiped the memory to protect me.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

I don't really have much interest in ToW as a game system but I always loved the Tomb King aesthetic and find them much more interesting than the general vaguely Eastern European Soulblight, so I'll probably buy some up just to paint for fun. The AoS scene is pretty healthy here so I'd be surprised to see a bunch of people drop it, especially since increasingly few people playing the game even have nostalgia for WHFB, so I'm guessing it's gonna be like Horus Heresy where there's a ton of cool sculpts and nobody to actually play games with.

I would rather use my Chaos Warriors in an Old World setting than AoS. Maybe this marks me out as a grognard, but I still consider the new background rather silly and weightless. I preferred the old bizarro-planet-earth map with its fleshed out histories and mock human societies.

What remains to be seen is how they allow models to cross over, basing solutions, and the actual gameplay. I still dislike some elements of AoS, like the double turns, shooting units being exactly as effective under all situations including melee combat, and the importance of ubiquitous command abilities (all out attack and defence). But there's no doubt it is an overall playable and enjoyable game. By all accounts, 8th ed WHFB wasn't.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

2 good things I can say about conquest is that city states are cool and the way actiations work is something aos could use.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Conquest: last argument of kings is way better than the name would lead you to believe.

I am really tempted by Conquest although I have no one to play it with and too many unfinished products already. However I find their models a mix or really interesting ideas, and some stuff that visually doesn't come together for me.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

zerofiend posted:

Conquest is really stale in terms of gameplay and the designers are assholes who balance things based on how mad it makes them instead of playtesting data. After 40 games and three tournaments I sold it off happily.

Good to know I guess, thanks for the warning. It certainly has some kind of heartbreaker energy about it. Their website sort of talks about it as if it's a huge deal, whereas actually, although I suppose it's not nothing to produce hard plastic miniatures, it simply doesn't seem that fleshed out.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

zerofiend posted:

The activation stack is a legitimately cool mechanic that is wasted on a game with really shallow design, unfortunately.

Oh, what is activation stack? The only thing I'd gleaned about the rules is that your units arrive throughout the game as light-medium-heavy, so while the latter are the most formidable, you don't get to bring them into play as early, so it's a matter of what you invest in. Which didn't super make sense to me but at least is something different.

S.J. posted:

I just think their Dwarves look cool.

This was also my thought.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

zerofiend posted:

The game alternates activations between players per unit, but you have to pre-plan your activations for the turn before you even know who has first activation. So you have to anticipate what they're going to move first to not end up out of position. It's legitimately a cool mechanic but the rest of the game is mediocre.

Oh, got it. Very interesting although it's hard to envision how it affects tactics without understanding how maneuver and combat work in the game.

hoiyes posted:

While it's not the stack system, now I'm really hankering for a rank and flank with alternating activations that incorporates Armadas dial system, where you have to order bigger units more turns in advance to simulate their more ponderous command. Highly doubt GW is gonna take any risks like that with Old World though.

This also sounds super interesting but I think of delayed-execution Orders as more of a classic, serious, kriegspiel-type wargames thing. I'm not sure modern, casual players in a Warhammer-dominated world would embrace it. I also think it is used in a tradition where the bulk of the tactics was where you moved and whether you fired, charged, retreated etc. It sort of clashes with the more game-y tactics of AoS/40k (and most other modern games) where a good half of the tactics is the special abilities you activate, firing off buffs, debuffs etc. You'd have a question over whether those are delayed or chosen on the spot.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

GreenMarine posted:

I notice Nagash has six skulls on his belt and six spinal cords on his back. Any significance to that? Were they previous kings he overthrew like Anasurimborian decapitants?

What on earth are those? Google tells me nothing.

Edit: I mean "Anasurimborian decapitates" although I have no idea about the nagash thing either.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

GreenMarine posted:

Oh sorry Google Anasurimbor Kellhus. A character from a series of fantasy novels. He has two demon heads on his belt, the decapitants, who talk to him later in the series. I thought maybe the heads on Nagash belt had some story significance.

Gotcha, cool.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

The Deleter posted:

I want games to be competitive because I want to be able to walk into my games club with an opponent, put my army down, and play without having to adjucate or rule or ban anything on my own terms. The designers at games workshop are paid to make the game functional, playable and fun, and I'm not.

Exactly this! I am happy to play narrative games that are lopsided and heavily Arbitrated/games mastered, like Necromunda, with some of my friends. I also go to tournaments for Infinity where everyone is onboard with a competitive mindset and the game is played completely RAW with up to date FAQs etc.

With my oldest warhammer-playing friends, although we are a long way from any competitive meta and will only play against each other in a garage setting (often we just get chatting and don't finish a game before it's time to wind up the night) we still want the games to be fair. We don't want to spend time discussing the balance and testing/adjusting, we want to turn up and play each other, and have an even game.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I was always a fan of the setting and background for WHFB. I never had enough models to really play games, but owned and painted quite a few over the years when I was a kid. Right now though, my chances of playing this are directly proportional to how easy it is to use my (32mm round base) chaos warriors, that I have for AoS, in the new ruleset.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

My pet theory is that chaos warriors, saurus and such big infantry are going to be based on 32mm square bases, so it would be pretty easy to adapt.

Yeah, they'd be mad not to allocate them a base size that people could use base-adaptors for, surely. Also the current models physically wouldn't fit on 25mm bases, let alone be able to rank up. Even the slightly older ones, with very closed poses, used to be literally touching shoulders ranked up on 25s - if you centred the models badly you couldn't rank them up.

AnEdgelord posted:

As always the worst case scenario for OW from my perspective is throwing my S2D on some movement trays once and maybe not enjoying myself so theres a pretty high floor here

Same here. Can't imagine it becoming the next big thing, but it's hardly a big investment.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

tangy yet delightful posted:

From a middle ages history standpoint, those new sculpts having all that plate armor would be indicative of some money to spend on gear at the very least.

Yes, but not as much as you might think given the clearly pretty strong states in the background. Towards the end of the medieval period professional soldiers did start to be equipped with mass-produced plate armour by their employers (instead of it being a very valuable possession owned by the wearer and part of their feudal obligations).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munition_armour

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Cool models, but why does the cannon have what looks like a spare barrel sitting upright on the base? Do the designers think it needs changing like a modern machine gun?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JBP posted:

Cannon barrels crack. It's cute.

Also yeh it's a silencer.

I mean, those medieval and early modern cannon barrels did crack, but you couldn't just slap another section in there, it's not a modular system!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

sasha_d3ath posted:

For your information, at last check Cities of Sigmar win around 50% of matches and Stormcast win--

Oh.

Oh dear.

Sorry, I don't play competitively, are Stormcast top dog or bottom of the pile? I seem to recall a lot of hype about their all-dragon armies.

Assessor of Maat posted:

this specifically

grabbed it from here; https://www.mdpi.com/2571-9408/6/2/58 but I'm sure i've seen it or a nearly identical drawing in a book previously.

anyway, you can also find similar designs of Veuglaire if you look around. GW have cobbled it together from a few styles but whoever it was does appear to have done some research... though like I said still missed something important, the second breech on the base of the model doesn't have a lip to socket into the barrel, so I wouldn't want to be standing near this thing when fired:

Thank you, and to everyone else who commented! I can't imagine those designs worked very well, it would be so difficult to get full obduration of the breech. Must be why they went back to muzzle loaders. Still, really interesting that GW have done some research instead of just winging it.