Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Wonder how Maggotkin is gonna fare now that huge walls of Blightkings aren't gonna be a thing. I hope the answer is not fixing it by taking a bunch of Plaguebearers instead, because god that kit looks terrible compared to how incredible the Blightking sculpts are and I really liked how you could either go in a demon or "human" direction with the army.

It would be cool if Pusgoyles became more popular though.

Also looks like my hopes of Gloomspite being decent are probably not gonna pan out lol, they absolutely did not need any point increases and Squig Herd point costs almost doubling is nuts. Maybe Troggoths will finally be alright though at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Was kinda hoping they'd tone down shooting in 3.0 but it sounds like they just made it stronger instead lol.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

How are Sons of Behemat looking in the transition to 3.0? The sculpts are amazing and I've always been tempted at the back of my mind to pick one or two up just to paint them someday, but I'm curious if they're gonna be good enough to possibly turn into a side project army down the line.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Goblins have been near the bottom of the heap for the entirety of AoS unfortunately, and it doesn't seem like that's likely to change with 3.0, but they are fun and have some amazing models now.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Injuryprone posted:

Troggs or bust.

They were almost good and then 3.0 blew up all the battalions, including the one that made them playable :negative:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

AnEdgelord posted:

lol at broken realms having battalions be the only content some armies got and then immediately throwing them in the trash in the next edition

Maybe when they get a new battletome sometime in the next year or so it will have a new, better version of them. Otherwise lmao at them taking multiple bad armies and making them even worse while a couple top-tier armies barely got touched.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah I seriously have no idea what they were thinking with some of these armies. Beasts of Chaos, Sylvaneth, and Gloomspite were already bad, and while there's probably some interactions in the new edition that will take a few weeks to work out, so I'm not gonna say the sky is falling or anything, but I honestly can't see a scenario in which those armies didn't get significantly worse. Hedonites got totally dumpstered, Maggotkin lost basically their only competitive comp, etc.

A couple armies took some needed hits, but then weirdly a few others that were borderline oppressive, like Idoneth, are basically untouched. They'd already mostly transitioned from pure eel spam to mixing in a few sharks and a Leviadon, and the reinforcement rules make so little difference to them that they can run drat near identical tourney lists.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I'm actually excited about 3.0 and looking forward to playing it, but I can't lie and say I'm not a little salty about my favorite armies getting cut off at the knees for all but the most casual kitchen table play after some much-needed supplements had finally made them decent. I'm sure they'll get some buffs whenever their 3.0 books come out, but that could also be literally years from now, so.

It would have stung a little less if I'd a chance to actually *play* with any of those new rules in the past...almost two years now, jesus, but I'm not gonna blame GW for not anticipating a colossally mishandled pandemic when they were plotting out their release schedule.

Plus it could always be worse. I could have been a Hedonites player!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

how are th maggotkin of Nurgle? my lady wants to buy a Great Unclean One and paint it. I've heard Demon armies can be used in 40k as well....

They were actually doing really well in the competitive scene there at the end of 2.0 thanks to the Blight Cyst batallion and huge blocks of Putrid Blightlords, but 3.0 blew up both of those things so they're probably back to being pretty bad until the next battletome hits.

That being said, a Great Unclean One is pretty much always gonna be solid in both "human" and demon Maggotkin lists, so if you like the army and don't care too much about it being mediocre in the short term, it's hard to go wrong with one.

Also I dunno how they fare in 40k but the demon-based Nurgle lists in AoS were considerably less impressive than the Blightking-heavy lists, I'd say.

edit: Also worth keeping in mind that being on the 3.0 shortlist for new battletomes is both a blessing and a curse - the early books are generally kinda busted for a bit while everyone else is still stuck in 2.0, but then rapidly get outclassed by the inevitable power creep and end up being some of the weakest books in the long-term, and then you're stuck hoping they get some random update or a new battalion in a copy of White Dwarf or something.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 1, 2021

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Why didn't the wargaming hobby take off in the US to the extent that it did in the UK? Feels like they have an extremely large, healthy community for pretty much every miniature game you can think of, and I know GW starting off there certainly helped, but that can't be the only reason can it?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Definitely happy about Nurgle getting a new book since they're so drat fun to paint, and I'd love for them to get a bit more unit variety on the human side (or at least make a mix of Blightkings and Blightgoyles actually viable). Just not a fan of the demon sculpts at all aside from the GUO and a few of the newer characters.

Unfortunately it's going to end up with them being all underpowered and crappy in like 6 months when all the other new book power creep leaves them in the dust, but ah well.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah current 40k is not exactly inspiring confidence in GW's ability to balance books

Yeah, and I mean part of it too is definitely that as much as players want balance, there is also kind of an expectation of each new book being bigger and better. At this point I've just resigned myself to it and I just hope they mix up the release order enough that every army gets to experience the feast and famine aspect of it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Gloomspite and Sylvaneth would be my priorities just because honestly those armies are borderline unplayable right now. Gitz were almost in a "not competitive, but still fun" place with the White Dwarf supplements, but right now both of those armies are honestly not even enjoyable to play.

But yeah there are quite a few books that need some drastic work. It'll be interesting to see how much all of this schedule backup from the Covid / Brexit tag-team affects everything.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Really want to see how viable Ironjawz / Kruleboyz end up being on their own after all the dust settles on this - I like Big Waaagh in theory, but at this point the aesthetic is so vastly different between the three factions that an army combining them all would look pretty silly.

I hate how important having a cohesive-looking / thematic army is to me because I feel like the "optimal" thing is gonna end up being like Ironjawz cavalry and Brutes mixed with Savage Orruk casters and then Kruleboy archers or something. I've already been working on a desert-themed Ironjawz force so tossing some swamp goblins in with them would feel pretty weird.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Big Waaagh is sounding so good that I'm honestly mostly worried that all the mono-allegiance lists are going to be too crappy to bother with.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Hobgrots are so bad that a lot of people were shocked they didn't get errata'd in the FAQs GW just did. I'd have to imagine that they'll be getting reworked as soon as the new Orruk book drops, though.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Haha that vulture is amazing and I was already thinking of doing a desert theme with my Dominion stuff, which this would slot very nicely into.

I really like the Kruleboyz aesthetic but I'm also definitely in the camp of wishing they'd almost been their own army because yeah, they clash really hard with all of the existing Orruk stuff in every way.

I'm hoping mono-faction lists are still strong enough that it's not an issue, because a mixture of Ironjawz, Kruleboyz, and Savage Orruks would look like a complete clown show on the table.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Super pumped for a new Maggotkin book, they're so fun to paint and convert but "buy 10 boxes of Blightlords" was never a very appealing playstyle.

I do hope the mortal side of them stays competitive though, they are some of my favorite sculpts in the game. I just want having a few brick shithouse units of Blightlords and some Pusgoyle cavalry + cool heroes to finally be a viable strategy.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I am glad they're getting a new Sorcerer since the old metal one just doesn't fit the army's current aesthetic at all, but I'm really hoping they announce at least one other mortal battleline unit for Maggotkin. At least the entire range looks amazing, because you sure don't get many options to choose from.

But yeah Chaos mortal armies have that weirdly common problem where GW makes all these amazing new kits and then forgets to make good rules for them.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah Gitz being good would wreck my wallet but they seem both dead-set on it being the goofy RNG army and also completely incapable of making a heavily RNG-dependent army even remotely competitive.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

So are Nighthaunt just never going to get releases for any of the units that were only available in the Soul Wars box? It's been a pretty decent length of time and there's still currently no way to get a mounted Knight of Shrouds or Guardian of Souls, and Chainrasps only come in an ETB box of 10 for $40, which is insanely expensive for such a small number and seems way pricier than most other ETB kits. That plus them being a bottom-tier army (arguably the worst in the game now based on win rate iirc) for multiple years now makes it feel like they've basically just been abandoned. Haven't heard any rumors of them getting a new book anytime in the near future, either.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

It's kinda crazy how solid Deepkin still are for being such an old book. They still pick up top 5 finishes pretty often.

I wasn't around for it, but they must have been absolutely obnoxious at the height of eel spam power.

And yeah, hopefully Nighthaunt get some love soon. Though honestly it's not new models they need so much as an entire revamp of entire army design (same with Gloomspite) - they already have a pretty diverse pool of units and probably the most consistently great model range in the game. I keep wanting to make them my second army but between having multiple staple units that you can only find for absurd markups on eBay and being by all accounts absolutely no fun to play in their current state, I'm gonna hold off until they get a makeover.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah I love all the Kruleboy models, slowly chipping away at them but man they are unforgiving to play. The extreme reliance on auras and fragile shooting units to do any real damage + how slow the army is means you kinda have to turtle up, and against *real* shooting armies they just pretty much auto-lose.

Definitely feels like an army that you need to get a ton of playtime with to learn how to pilot well and avoid all the traps, versus something like Ironjawz that are super intuitive and pretty effective even if you make a lot of small mistakes / misplays.

A few units need some tweaks and Gutrippaz badly need a point cost reduction, but they're pretty close to being in the "very good but not quite busted" range.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

If the crossbows either got an extra attack or an alt-fire mode that made it not useless against smaller units I think they'd be genuinely worth a second look. Right now they just straight up outclassed by the Manskewers except in really fringe cases, and even then you have a pretty big chance of just completely whiffing.

Though if you're not trying to be super competitive there is still something to be said for having a couple of them just straight up delete an enemy monster when you roll right.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

In fairness, "single really big model" is an actual thing in the current meta to want to be able to deal with.

I think the problem is that on average spending those points on Manskewers instead is still mathematically superior even against big targets, while also still being really, really good against smaller ones. The Beastskewer can be super swingy but it's not reliable enough to count on. This is compounded by Big Yellers being the only subfaction worth taking, so you are heavily incentivized to take double-reinforced units of Manskewers already. If they give the other subfactions some tools that make them worth considering, the big crossbows suddenly look a lot more attractive.

It's an awesome model and somewhere out there someone has probably lived the dream of using 3 of them to take down an entire Mega-Gargant, so I hope there ends up being a compelling reason to take them eventually.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Kinda odd that we're up to 3 variants of an HQ unit that nobody actually takes in their lists, but hey, more Orks.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not sure what you mean. Megabosses are quite good and popular. Not that this guy is a Megaboss.

Ah, totally missed the bit about Brutes, I always see people running the Brute champion with a klaw so I didn't even consider that. And megabosses are fine, but Mawkrushas are better. I haven't seen a competitive list running a megaboss on foot in quite a while, double Mawkrushas is just overwhelmingly dominant now. Though there's a rumor that they're getting a points hike soon, so maybe regular bosses get to shine again.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Danimo posted:

The winner of the Austin Open two weeks ago ran 1 Mawkrusha, 1 foot boss and the Rogue Idol. I saw one or two other mega bosses on foot while I was there. 2x Mawkrusha is the popular list but foot guy is pretty decent

That's good to hear! He's a great model and the 2x Mawkrusha + pig spam is a really boring list.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

peer posted:

any list with a rogue idol has my approval

Someone took the character model from Total Warhammer and turned it into a 3d printer file and it looks so much better than the official Rogue Idol that it hurts.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Kruleboyz are great and so are Ironjawz, but they absolutely look silly together in the same army when I see someone do a Big Waaagh list.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

On paper it sounds like the disease mechanic is just a slightly worse / more annoying form of the exploding 6s that other armies have, but it might be one of those things that sounds underwhelming until you see it in action - especially if there end up being ways to modify the rolls / boost disease points. I'm sure someone has cranked out all the math on it already though.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

The trick is MWs on 6s are usually limited in who can do them. These are on every single Maggotkin attack, and might be combined with MWs on 6s for really nasty hits. Also, they've said there's spells that can place more disease points.

I guess it's going to depend on whether or not the new book gives us an incentive to run anything except Blightkings and heroes. Before 3.0 that's all a typical mortals list ran and they had extra battalion rules for exploding 6s anyway that no longer exists. I really hope a mix of Blightkings and cavalry is good - it looks like the Glottkin is gonna be nuts at least, and the leaked details about the book sound like there's gonna be 3 new Maggotkin spells to play with.

Deified Data posted:

If it only happened on 6's to hit I'd agree but it's also happening in the movement and combat phase passively (with probably more ways to add tokens we're not aware of), which probably gives it an edge

Good point! Shame it sounds like they're losing the ridiculous movement shenanigans they could get up to with the Gnarlmaws. Most people completely underestimated how fast they could be, but I guess it doesn't really make much sense that a bunch of humongous bloated corpses could move like that.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 7, 2021

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah, was really hoping for a new battleline option. The new sorcerer model is great and was a needed update but it's kind of a bummer that there doesn't appear to be anything else in the pipeline.

As long as they actually make the units they do have good enough / synergistic enough to run together instead of being locked into choosing a flavor of spam list like last edition I'll be happy enough.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah there's like a whole subset of tallymen and scriveners who are constantly pissed off because its impossible to track all the new diseases and plague victims that keep popping up and so they take it out on the plaguebearers who make counting mistakes by turning them into sloppity bilepipers.

They do use feathers stolen from a Lord of Change's tail to do their tallying, though!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Man the points increases on all of the Nurgle stuff is wild. +85 points for Blightkings is rough even if they do a bit more damage and are more resilient. Feels like overall a typical army is going to be much tougher than they used to be, but also smaller, slower, and with less overall damage output. Doesn't really do them many favors in 3rd Ed. - being hard to shift off of objectives doesn't count for much if you can't get on them before your opponent does and don't have the damage output to immediately take them when you finally get there.

Glottkin at 700 points feels really bad too, even though his warscroll is pretty scary now.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Capri Sunrise posted:

I just started getting into AoS with a Daemons start collecting box - would the vanguard box still be a great supplement with these new rules? (I'm still getting familiarized).

The Vanguard box is weird because it still seems like there's not really any situation in which you'd want to mix mortal and demon units in the same army - honestly you're probably better off picking up another Start Collecting box and then filling it out with a couple heroes - Poxbringer, Spoilpox Scrivener, and Sloppity Bilepiper all seem like they're going to be auto-includes for a demon army, and you're gonna want more Plaguebearers for sure. The Nurglings seem better now too - really the Plague Drones are the least exciting part of the SC box and even those are still solid.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Remember you can summon Daemons even as Mortal Army. So those Plaguebearers can be used in that context.

Also there is no actual harm in having a bit of mix.

Also from reading, it's mostly going to be improved.

Yeah there's no harm in it, especially if you just like the models. But it sounds like some of the subfactions / battalions / hero choices really promote picking one or the other.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I do feel bad for all the people who modelled their GUO with the bell - I was expecting their movement speed to get nerfed but I wasn't expecting them to lose *every* movement buff, and completely neutering a loadout option on a model that costs $150 feels pretty lovely. Wonder if there's even a way to magnetize the weapon options without leaving really ugly seams.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I keep seeing awesome Sons of Behemat paintjobs and getting tempted to start another army once I finally finish off my Dominion orruks but then I know they're just going to end up like Knights in 40k where they get 1 year of being good in between like 2-4 years of being complete rear end. Feels like the lack of variety + predictable gameplan makes them really susceptible to even minor nerfs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

On the topic of starting new armies, I have a buddy that I think I have successfully talked into picking up one of the new Battleforces that are on pre-order now, but he's probably gonna wait until Christmas. Are those something that are limited stock and will be sold out / getting scalped online by then or do they tend to be available for a while?