Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

People come and people go over years, and as such essential character will change. It's a thread that was on topic like a laser when something was going on, it just didn't slow down much when there wasn't. Very much a laboratory of postocracy where good ideas are forged in the fires of mass critique and bud off into their own threads sometimes when people get tired of talking about it

What I didn't like most of all about the moving it idea was the pitch that it would both not change anything for those who post there and they'd be welcome in other CSPAM threads, but also it would keep bad chat thread posters from polluting other threads or whatever. Both can't be true and it's a wholly unnecessary thing to do in the first place. Just let threads who feel especially aggrieved by Harton get their own Forums Resource Officer IK they can speed dial to make him stop or something

That's fine, and I think its a good counterpoint. I prefer to just give out opinions or thoughts even if they're half baked cuz I figure if they're bad someone with sense will come by and point out a different perspective on it.

I will say, so I don't come off as a faux above it all pr dork as much maybe, that I am emotionally biased about it; i absolutely do bristle when people from that thread start talking about how its some cornerstone of cspam, since to my ears it comes off like people wanting act like the rest of cspam, and the posters that for some strange reason don't wanna hang out with them or that don't view cspam as part of their posting/actual identities, are benefactors of the serene culture of the suzerain chat thread. Its an absurdly petty overreaction at times but I'd guess I'm not alone in having it, which could explain why people get on edge over trivial poo poo sometimes. And while I'd like to think we can all be reasonable adults and not be silly over that poo poo, the counterpoint to that is "lol".

I think the friction caused by chat thread aint world ending, its just kind of tangential to some other fun drama, but its just a thing that happens. Its like, message board dialectics or something. I still think moving it isn't nearly as bad as people might think it is and I'd like people to just give it an honest thought from alternative perspectives, but its a really minor thing on the whole. I take sick enjoyment about talking about this poo poo, and I do genuinely think just airing opinions out openly is nice to do and can let off some tension even if its just wishful thinking.

Tiler Kiwi has issued a correction as of 22:51 on Jun 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
"I dont recognize these people" after changing your account name is v funny

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

i have some mod feedback re: smarxist (bolded)

smarxist posted:

Hi mods, please ban me you bootlicking thugs!

I love CSPAM and because of that I'm doing my best to save it from the completely lovely junkyard that it sprang from before the literal child-brained owner flushes either the community here, or the entire website down the toilet

the events that occurred on the night of the stream with the "livebans" were really beyond the pale and basically killed any appetite I had to post here or spend money here, at the behest of a nazi chud peanut gallery, a man in his 40's banned some of my favorite people from their favorite place and seriously upset them, if you can countenance that poo poo, be my guest

i've been workin' hard (thank you!) to capture as many disaffected, displaced and banned posters as I can, and have literally hundreds trickling into the new hotness.

so come check us out!
:siren: https://breadnroses.club/register/ :siren:

if you register with your SA account name, I can track you down and approve you (we're doing manual approvals for now) and you can come check out the new joint, which despite being a work in progress is already REALLY loving solid.

if you can't be bothered, or if all of this is "dumb online bullshit" or you don't care, then I bid you good posting friend, it was nice making content with you!

hasta siempre,
Smarxist

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Slanderer posted:

who cares

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If we're posting old hot takes wait til you hear about the victory of John Dewey

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Slanderer posted:

You're literally one of the worst posters in this subforum and bring nothing to the table except posts like this.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hot Karl Marx posted:

You're literally one of the worst posters in this subforum and bring nothing to the table except posts like this.

Is it like a username gimmick thing?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

smdh

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Office Pig posted:

if you have ever played cricket and don't hail from any of the legendary jamaican teams who played in spite of the imperial anglo then you need to take yourself a little trip to qcs and beg for a regular old ban if you don't want to face righteous permanency

mentioning cricket makes me want to remind all of you to read CLR James

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Last few hours for this thread if anyone wants to get anything in.

Mine and Shine PMs are also open if you miss out. I also have like 3 days of unresponded to PMs, I promise to get to them all. Uhh..poo poo as I typed this I remembered I gave my email. I will go check that right now too.

I've reached out to some people for the Covid thread IK. Hoping to get that done when they get back to me.

Shine and I will figure out what we are doing about more mods and the best mods for the space using the suggestions in here.

Someone mentioned a thread for changing the forum subtitle, get at me when ya'll figure something out.

All NBA threads all over SA are amazing. We have a fashion one in SAS proper, and the people in the Draft thread are pretty loving fantastic. The whole SA NBA operation is aces.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Office Pig posted:

if you have ever played cricket and don't hail from any of the legendary jamaican teams who played in spite of the imperial anglo then you need to take yourself a little trip to qcs and beg for a regular old ban if you don't want to face righteous permanency

The west indies team actually has a pretty insane history. They basically dominated the game from the 70s till about the early 2000s.

Now the aussies dominate the sport and it sucks.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Now the aussies dominate the sport and it :barf:

:barf:

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

I’ve seen plenty of people, who’s names I recognize from their posting in the trump/chat thread, even if they don’t post there anymore, post helpful and on topic feedback in this thread.

it’s only a few who have expressed that it is the core of cspam or something similar, and a lot of the posts aimed toward the chat thread seem to think that’s a bigger sentiment than it actually is

like, the thread knows its dumb white noise posting ratio has risen, but people like to post in there with their pals. I also see posters from there in other threads

a lot of this conversation seems like people just running with what they were told or what a couple insistent posters have said repeatedly

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
my cricket knowledge remains limited to that there's a wicket, that it's an innings and

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Chat thread serves its purpose as a dump for poo poo posts/quarantine for posters who like to spam about their lives and should be left alone (and probably IK'd by a known chat poster). That thread shouldn't have much power over the rest of the subforum though and while mega threads can be bad, I think there is a trend lately with more threads being made.

More hands off moderation would be nice but also dealing with the aggro idiots who can take over threads when posting about posters should be probed more often though.

Also, someone unrelated should probably check in occasionally just to make sure everything hasn't gone to poo poo. Some insanely bad posters were left to fester in there, which seems to just be a natural consequence of a megathread getting too insular.

My only real complaints nowadays are the strange desire to have every thread properly sorted with Proper Thread Titles Formats using [Brackets] and such rather than letting things grow organically, and our mods being thin-skinned weridos who would rather circle the wagons for a billion years than admit any iota of fault(iks are generally fine though)

Otherwise c-spam is pretty good, I think.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

frankenfreak posted:

my cricket knowledge remains limited to that there's a wicket, that it's an innings and

simmons is crouched deep in the cow corner, keeping an eye on the silly mid on, we've got some real cricket here folks

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

DarkEuphoria posted:

I’ve seen plenty of people, who’s names I recognize from their posting in the trump/chat thread, even if they don’t post there anymore, post helpful and on topic feedback in this thread.

it’s only a few who have expressed that it is the core of cspam or something similar, and a lot of the posts aimed toward the chat thread seem to think that’s a bigger sentiment than it actually is

i also think that it's a sentiment that's misunderstood as being way more all-encompassing than it really is. toward the beginning of the thread i described chat thread as the "community center" and i think that is what it was for a long time. a place that many posters who didn't otherwise post in the same threads had in common. maybe that's changed, but i'm not really trying to portray the chat thread as the "king of threads". i was trying to make clear that it's an important part of cspam that should not be moved elsewhere, but it wasn't my intention to make it out as more important than succ zone, marxism thread, number thread, games thread, etc. although i think it came across that way.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I just find it concerning the amount of ablest and homophobic terms used to get mad about chat threads. Someone literally said the chat threads were "gay" at some point in this mess. Lots of weirdly dehumanizing poo poo too.

If for nothing else the chat threads shouldn't be moved because they'll just come back. Either get some real cudgels ready or learn to live with them because they're clinging on.

Plus,, as I've stated before, the line of what a chat thread is blurs anyway. I see all sorts of casual talk even in the more 'legitimate' threads. Especially if it a slow period of relevant news. gently caress, I've seen multiple "I just walked 4 miles" type posts in the Glenn thread over the last couple weeks, for example.

To me it all just reads as weird posting enemy drama.

Like even below you'll see Plague Rats refer to people as brain damaged for posting wrong.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

some plague rats posted:

Okay: you're weird. But seriously the problem is that this isn't happening, it's not getting squashed at all and the chat thread dumb fucks are never going to read the room and take the hint. Left alone they'll just do it more, as you pointed out yelling at them also makes them do it more, all that's left is mod action which hasn't been happening, hence the feedback I'm currently giving. I would like this stupid bullshit that's super annoying to anyone who doesn't have chat thread brain damage to be kept in it's own thread so I can not read it. Doesn't seem like a big ask. Before anyone tries to be like lol you're so mad or whatever: I'm at work, sitting on the toilet, my time has literally no value right now

Poof more beefers and you may care less about stupid things.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zurtilik posted:

To me it all just reads as weird posting enemy drama.

f'real, there are people who decry "megathread posters" on like page 7321 of the "did Marx eat rear end?" thread

(yes he did)

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Athanatos posted:

All NBA threads all over SA are amazing. We have a fashion one in SAS proper, and the people in the Draft thread are pretty loving fantastic. The whole SA NBA operation is aces.

my feedback here is "agreed"

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Jazerus posted:

i also think that it's a sentiment that's misunderstood as being way more all-encompassing than it really is. toward the beginning of the thread i described chat thread as the "community center" and i think that is what it was for a long time. a place that many posters who didn't otherwise post in the same threads had in common. maybe that's changed, but i'm not really trying to portray the chat thread as the "king of threads". i was trying to make clear that it's an important part of cspam that should not be moved elsewhere, but it wasn't my intention to make it out as more important than succ zone, marxism thread, number thread, games thread, etc. although i think it came across that way.

oh yeah i get that it isn't the intent, i just had a sit and thought about it and realized yeah, I was letting my goose get got a bit

im still gonna be a Big Hater tho

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Athanatos posted:

Last few hours for this thread if anyone wants to get anything in.

Mine and Shine PMs are also open if you miss out. I also have like 3 days of unresponded to PMs, I promise to get to them all. Uhh..poo poo as I typed this I remembered I gave my email. I will go check that right now too.

I've reached out to some people for the Covid thread IK. Hoping to get that done when they get back to me.

Shine and I will figure out what we are doing about more mods and the best mods for the space using the suggestions in here.

Someone mentioned a thread for changing the forum subtitle, get at me when ya'll figure something out.

I really enjoy sports threads, the players provide endless content, and the fans do it for free.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Yinlock posted:

My only real complaints nowadays are the strange desire to have every thread properly sorted with Proper Thread Titles Formats using [Brackets] and such rather than letting things grow organically,
That's not supposed to be a thing anymore and hasn't been for a while. It's mostly just leftover from the initial change which iirc was mostly a single star-haver's idea.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
oh i kind of personally like it like that since thread names change a lot and it sometimes something catches your eye when you look down the list. it helps make new threads without it stand out too.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

oh i kind of personally like it like that since thread names change a lot and it sometimes something catches your eye when you look down the list. it helps make new threads without it stand out too.

yeah I actually kinda like the [Brackets] because it gives you more latitude to get weird with the rest of the thread title, but i know goons hate change and effort in equal measures, so yeah

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Can we change the chat thread back to the trump thread since he is campaigning again and almost died meaning we almost got 15,000 Donald J Trump named schools. He deserves at least a thread named after him for his service.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Not to get too much into it, I posted in D&D for a really long time before Cspam existed, and honestly it it too has its ebbs and flows over the years. Right now, I think the divide is about as stark as the LF-era but at the same time I am a bit of a romantic about provoking discussion regardless of the forum. Also, it may be low-key my fault for trying to merge the D&D Trump thread and the 2018-era version of USPOL in the first place...which may have had a bit of a domino effect.

As for c-spam modding, to be absolutely frank, I think it is just in a very awkward position at the moment and it is unclear what cspammers want or if what they want is workable. For example, I have nothing against Larry (just an example) but I might find myself in a position where I would need to probate him and I don't know if I quite trust cspammers not to come after me. Even if it was legitimate probation and I have my reputation or whatever but I rather not have a target on my back. I like cspam, but I think a lot of cspammers have rhetorically trapped themselves into a position where it is a very difficult to make it work.

(Btw I know the whole back history of why this is so, it is just what I see going on right now.)

C-spam responds best to not being treated like absolute dogshit. Mods/Admins that actually ask for input or don't dismiss us as a howling mob generally get a way more positive response and are given way more slack than some dipshit bursting into the democ**t or glenn thread ready to LAY DOWN SOME FORUMS LAW

The Troubles generally only happen when someone gets hit with a serious punishment for no reason and then the staff doubles-down on the bad decision and circles the wagons. This has never once ended well for whatever bad mod started it, and inevitably leads to a hilariously embarrassing revelation followed by a self-ban.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
One of the top complaints about forum usability (besides dark mode) is/was "None of this poo poo makes any sense." It's why we have extended forum directory with subtitles now.

The meme is "Dead, dying forum" but, that's not super true, so new people trying to find a place to have a discussion about the topic they want are/were having issues.

I'm a moron so this may be a bad example, but 2 days ago I had to ask for the covid thread link (it's renamed to something now), so it happens. In my own forum I have [Thread Title] - (Whatever joke title), so if you need to find the AFC South thread, it's a quick look.

I think the brackets here help a fuckton if the community wants 98% joke title coverage.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Yinlock posted:

C-spam responds best to not being treated like absolute dogshit. Mods/Admins that actually ask for input or don't dismiss us as a howling mob generally get a way more positive response and are given way more slack than some dipshit bursting into the democ**t or glenn thread ready to LAY DOWN SOME FORUMS LAW

The Troubles generally only happen when someone gets hit with a serious punishment for no reason and then the staff doubles-down on the bad decision and circles the wagons. This has never once ended well for whatever bad mod started it, and inevitably leads to a hilariously embarrassing revelation followed by a self-ban.

Yeah, like I people got salty about the ban+30 for the whole Larry debacle. But the real poo poo started because he got permaed for an explicit threat with no humor or mirth.

Or that time Taintrunner almost didn't get banned.

Not that I'm trying to dig up all this old garbage, but there are multiple times the posters here had to get extra lovely because it seems like the only way to get a genuine and/or timely response to issues.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Yeah, I don't disagree that it makes identifying which thread is which easier, it's just that no one is going around to give every thread some sort of descriptor right now.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Athanatos posted:

One of the top complaints about forum usability (besides dark mode) is/was "None of this poo poo makes any sense." It's why we have extended forum directory with subtitles now.

The meme is "Dead, dying forum" but, that's not super true, so new people trying to find a place to have a discussion about the topic they want are/were having issues.

I'm a moron so this may be a bad example, but 2 days ago I had to ask for the covid thread link (it's renamed to something now), so it happens. In my own forum I have [Thread Title] - (Whatever joke title), so if you need to find the AFC South thread, it's a quick look.

I think the brackets here help a fuckton if the community wants 98% joke title coverage.

That's fair, it's more of a personal gripe than anything

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Please leave the brackets so I can navigate the threads tyia

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Yinlock posted:

honestly i feel like if you mostly have IK's who are chosen by threads being the primary instigator for the mod showing up and laying down some forums law, at least you have a very straight forward mechanism of making it not feel like the trump thread is probating all the marxists again

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

frankenfreak posted:

Yeah, I don't disagree that it makes identifying which thread is which easier, it's just that no one is going around to give every thread some sort of descriptor right now.

:twisted: rogue ik action winning again

copy
Jul 26, 2007

I'm fine withe the brackets; they're part of this place's weird charm.

I think the past month or so has been pretty decent in the threads I've been reading here. I will say that I haven't seen cumshitter since reading a few things they wrote in the economics thread during the gamestop bonanza and that style of posting felt completely and utterly alien to me coming from the other stuff I read here - it was like if byob found some mr potatohead angry eyebrows and glued them to its forehead. I think if one of the goals of this is to make a better mod-picking policy, maybe don't pick ones that are only known to regulars of one single thread that has a tone that is unrecognizable to members of its outgroup.

edit: not making a value judgment here on the quality of the posts. just saying they were super distinct and that divide in culture has probably contributed to some of the "us vs them" feeling that cspam modding has engendered here sometimes.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Yinlock posted:

Some of it has to be just that it is difficult to find someone to be a mod who gets along with all the threads at once. There have been various complaints that many (some say all but that seem unlikely) previous mods came from the Trump thread...but at the same time it is a very active thread and it is clear has a loyal following. If anything the feedback thread has shown everyone loves their favorite threads and think they should stay how they are...but they really don't like "that thread" over there. How do you actually like to moderate a subforum that balkanized unless you administer it like Bosnia? The system runs itself...until it doesn't.

Basically, you just need bazillion iks and then mods could only step in if absolutely necessary or otherwise they could spark a "diplomatic incident."

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:23 on Jun 29, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
the brackets specifically are inoffensive. I thought they were dumb and when I was first made IK I was thinking of removing them from a bunch of the threads, but couldn't really think of any good replacement titles, so I just got silly with the brackets instead and mostly left them alone. They were unnecessary but fine

e: yeah what ath said about joke titles. I think the joke titles are great and it's hard to keep a balance of a title that's funny and also indicative of thread content so the brackets are a good compromise

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Ardennes posted:

Basically, you just need bazillion iks and then mods could only step in if absolutely necessary

i have no idea why this is presented as a "bad thing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Some of it has to be just that it is difficult to find someone to be a mod who gets along with all the threads at once. There have been various complaints that many (some say all but that seem unlikely) previous mods came from the Trump thread...but at the same time it is a very active thread and it is clear has a loyal following. If anything the feedback thread has shown everyone loves their favorite threads and think they should stay how they are...but they really don't like "that thread" over there. How do you actually like to moderate a subforum that balkanized unless you administer it like Bosnia? The system runs itself...until it doesn't.

Basically, you just need bazillion iks and then mods could only step in if absolutely necessary or otherwise they could spark a "diplomatic incident."

It seems like a simple, on paper, way to handle this would be for the mods to largely just run the queue on largely basic, general forums rules and to consult thread IKs when something kinda eh comes up in a thread they largely have nothing to do with.

More important, though, would be an openness to realizing that the way one thread runs does not necessarily translate to all others (nor should it) and a willingness to act with some level of contrition when they clearly clash with a thread's culture. This is not a "thread regulars get anyone out of trouble" thing so much as a "just read the room" thing.