Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There actually isn't a single thread in CSPAM that is not explicitly political, even if the discussion at the time seems fairly casual of "off-topic". It only seems that way because you have not properly studied the immortal science of dialectical materialism and do not comprehend that nothing in our lives escapes the forces of history and power whose synthesis is what we refer to with the short hand of "politics"

as for megathreads, I don't get why they're such a worrying concern. The games megathread has actually increased my activity in the Games subforum because sometimes a fun game will come up and I'll go to the dedicated thread to discuss it when the thread moves on, something that wouldn't happen otherwise as I tend to be a bookmarks sort of guy

Mostly though I just don't see what you'd do about them, because they are forming naturally as a result of a demand for them, so unless someone has the stomach to go truly draconian they're just gonna come roaring back. I, personally, have created quite a few threads over the years and almost all have had people find them and post in them just fine. It's not too hard because the chat megathread being so active means you can just post "hey I made a thread for X, come post in it" and like 600 people see it

Epic High Five has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Jun 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I like lurking cspam even if I'm a bad poster. From October - 1/6 it felt like a reincarnation of LF with a bunch of crack pinging happening, best posts on SA in years.

Given the background is... the US Capitol exploding under siege, I think most goons get this isn't the SFW space that games or gbs might be. I like the lighter moderation.

Chat thread is cool, would be cooler to have a separate chat thread + thrumpster thread given how fast it moves.

Theres a GOP primary speculation thread you could post in, that I'm neglecting because thinking about DeSantis fills me with apocalyptic dread, or you could make one. Or PM someone an OP so they can post it if you're a committed lurker

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The trump thread was reborn anew each month and the chat thread probably will be as well. I have no idea if that helped drive engagement in the other threads or whatever, it was done because the first thread got so big the page select drop down was about to break the server. Megathreads should be left alone if only because they'll just pop back up again because people obviously want them, so it'd be a lot of work for no real satisfying conclusion

I'm ambivalent to a formal ban on posting things people are saying elsewhere on this public forum because I don't do it and wouldn't miss it, but I would put money on implementing that causing the frequent fliers in your report queue just finding something else rather than being mollified and your lives made easier. All I'd ask is that it be made forums-wide and not CSPAM specific

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Athanatos posted:

Yeah, I dont mean to imply I'm holding CSPAM responsible for every rear end in a top hat. It's just when those type of discussions happen in CSPAM, it spawns assholes.

IMO, let morons be morons in other forums. It's like TVIV...if you hate it...stop watching?

They are dealt with

edit: But then sometimes people bitch because "FUCKIN MOD JUST LET US POST poo poo, WHY PROBE MY FRIEND"

I'd say if that response isn't appropriate, the hammer should also be dropped on that poster. Were I IK, and I'm definitely not volunteering, that'd probably be my response but I'm also a stone hearted ML. As is I'd probably expect that to be the norm since it's tolerated everywhere else on the forums, including QCS which is the most formally restrictive of them all, so barring some sort of broader shift in forums culture it's probably not a position I'd try to find myself enforcing.

My general belief is that people whose primary issue is that they can't look away aren't going to stop spamming the queue because of any changes made to CSPAM one way or the other

HookedOnChthonics posted:

jazerus, i understand why you might have this perception, but i want to challenge it--as an extremely unscientific measure i just copied the top posters lists from the top 6-7 threads in cspam rn into a notepad doc and started doing ctrl-f with big names from the trump thread leaderboard, and there's not a lot of overlap!

and yeah if you did the full social graph maybe it's a core group of very prolific thread-specific posters and then everyone who doesn't post that much is a generalist, but it's not at all an inaccurate statement, i think, to say that the trump/chat thread 'core group' is pretty insular

just to disclose my own biases i kept up with trump thread pretty closely from the primaries on and then a few months ago was subjected to the phrase 'former lurker Child A' one too many times and had the scales fall from my eyes

The top poster in the chat thread has authored 4% of the posts. The top poster in the biggest D&D thread I could find has authored 3% of the posts there. The leaderboard isn't terribly relevant for anything unless you're trying to find out who is an insomniac working nights or works from home with 7 hours of free time a day. CSPAM is really big, GBS and Games big, so probably only astral of Jeffrey could do real overlap modeling

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

D&D would never tolerate one so it wouldnt be a real fix but if you want something to respond to QCS whiners like you said itd be some good ammo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Barreft posted:

There's like a core group of 3 people and if you don't say you're wearing a full gasmask you're poo poo on. That thread needs help.

I post in there all the time and I wear a mask over a beard at most and haven't had a fight about it. Maybe the problem is people coming in and calling people mentally ill for wearing the mask who arent prepared for the obvious pushback and instead mash that report button or run to QCS

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Barreft posted:

I haven't. I still wear a mask.
I'm just saying I've seen them run people out, that's all.

Trying to be honest.

And I think you'll find a commonality among a lot of them is that they aren't prepared to deal with a thread culture that's still taking it seriously or - as is often the case - ever took it seriously and doesn't believe there's a rugged individualist answer. The COVID is over people have all the rest of the internet to post in, I will never understand why the CSPAM thread existing makes people who don't even read it or post in it so mad

Basically, it comes down to "I'm not gonna wear a respirator, I feel like it's overkill" isn't gonna get you dogpiled - that's my own stance and I've been posting there since last February - but the people who actually complain and I suspect spam reports aren't leaving it there. Hell I've even made fun of people for min/maxing their setups but everybody knows it's in good fun because i'm not obviously there to pick a fight

THAT SAID, I don't know how much the COVID thread even has to do with anything beyond larry taking a pot shot at the posters there for no reason, unless it's clarified that it's the source of a lot of reports, so I have no idea how useful this discussion actually is

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shine posted:

Hello, I am here now to take all credit/scorn for what has been entirely Athanatos' chats with y'all while I was working, sleeping, sleeping in, doing my ASL lesson*, running errands, and deadlifting things. I probably won't a ton to say unless I'm directly asked something, as I'm generally more a lurker admin than a :words: admin (sup Ath), but I am reading the conversations.

I appreciate the topic of "what should mods do here?" being addressed by the community. C-SPAM gets shitloads of reports (not D&D levels, but way more than, say, Games or GBS), many of which are for things like "posting bad opinions," but I've always understood this to be a relaxed rules forum where people are encouraged to post at each other about stuff and only use buttons for slurs or spamming or whatever, so hearing feedback about what y'all want a mod to do is hella useful. I'd encourage anybody else reading to add to this conversation.

I will be around this evening. Thanks for having us!

*If anybody else is a new ASL student and wants a practice partner, holler.

what program you runnin, 5/3/1 or have you outgrown it? you should post in the CSPAM fitness thread btw, it's become overrun of late by degenerate cardio freaks talking about shoes like fetishists and I'd love more representation of no-neck freaks who just want to move some iron

also, "large scale immunity" is something that is entirely made up and does not exist in the reality of the world we live in. It really sucks that acknowledging this gets one labeled as "mentally ill" but it's true and for every MadJackal living in a blue paradise of 80% vaccination you have 30 posters like me living in blood red states where nobody has been wearing masks at all, ever, with 30% vaxx rates and blood gargling chuds saying the exact same stuff the sensible liberals are saying now that it's a blue guy at the top so a lot of us get a little crazy from the gaslighting. If I have my timeline correct it's only been 2 weeks since all of the smart approved authorities agreed that COVID is spread through the air so excuse me for dismissing them as cranks and just doing and recommending what humans have done since 50,000 years ago to stop respiratory virus spread

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Terror Sweat posted:

Once a week, close all megathreads and then close every thread that goes over 10 pages, megathreads stifle creativity

Once a week, probate this poster for a week, to encourage them to produce more creative posts

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Athanatos posted:

I am of the opinion you don't kill or try to limit "megathreads," you just reboot them every so often. Depending on what the thread runs out. Just as an example, most sports threads on this forum go by month. Start of the month, great time for new people to show up and get involved. It's the same thread, the bookmarks just change.

Plus, maybe people have to look at the thread index and see other cool poo poo and don't have to be prodded to only browse their bookmarks.

This has been the norm for the "trump" thread for years now. Unfortunately it was killed thanks to QCS whining, but with any luck its unofficial replacement will follow the previous precedents though of course it being entirely unaffiliated means it has no obligation to do so. It'd be foolhardy to do exactly what a previously instant banned thread did, so it's hard to say

In either case speaking as someone who makes weird focused threads from time to time, I am confident that I will be fine because I will be able to in either case make a post in the megathread about my niche thread and anybody interested will bookmark it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rutibex posted:

doom posting is appropriate because our world is doomed. there are lots of places where people can pretend things are fine, we don't need another one. thank you for your time

luv that MadJackal posting is the official baseline when I live in a blood red state totally disconnected from comfy liberals making loads of cash in their own safe havens so that just documenting my day to day life makes me an insane doomer worthy of a permaban lmao

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tiler Kiwi posted:

da joker forum

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it’s a shame Walter reed didn’t give him sugar pills because him dropping dead four weeks before the election would have been so loving funny

speaking as an Indiana native, President Michael Pence would be 100x worse than even what we have now, even leaving aside the penchant for liberal conversion of the commons to private ownership we are currently seeing in the infrastructure bill's insistence on selling publicly owned infrastructure to rent seekers and landlords

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

i know that most people saying shitposting mean the same thing I when I say casual forum but that term pisses me off so bad lol. As if you arent supposed to try to be funny or interesting anymore. I'm not saying mods need to solve that at the point of probe but it drives me nuts when people handwave bad posting as being 'shitposting'. if you post badly you should try harder, and I generally flame people who do. even a bad post that is funny is still Content because people will riff on it. but bad, boring posts are just awful because nobody reads them. and when everyone posts like they don't expect anyone to actually read them, you get some real white noise poo poo going. kind of a general subforum culture problem.

Nobody is saying the expectation of being funny or interesting is gone, in fact tons of complaints come from the fact that people whining about this or that aren't being funny or interesting and they got roasted as a result when they aren't used to such a thing. It's not a "subforum culture problem" if people think your jokes are stupid and your gimmick is lame

The funniest and weirdest and most uniquely strange posters in CSPAM almost never get brought up in these whine threads and there is a reason for that

Epic High Five has issued a correction as of 06:55 on Jun 26, 2021

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I’m guessing it’s madjackel going “remain calm! all is well!” and the handful of lab leak morons

Hey now let's be fair, lab leak is 100% likely and provable (the leak came from Fort Detrick and the causitive event was the Wuhan Military Games just like happened in 1918 and is the model of what happened in every pandemic that ever happened in human history)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Some of us still post in D&D with semi-regularity! Though I do so knowing that I am ever at risk of probations that are such horseshit that even my "posting enemies" object. Such is just the way of the world, and I feel like my contributions to the discourse are worth it because otherwise the "left" would be entirely neglected

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

speaking as someone in a "all weed is maximum illegal death sentence gently caress you" state, the whole beefers and poofers posting mocking me for this is definitely something that should be probe-worthy

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

jarofpiss posted:

people keep saying this is a leftist forum for leftists to talk about things but i look around and mostly see liberals

turn on you are monitor

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the thing to understanndd about CSPAM is that Little Shop of Horrors is the best musical in the history of the genre, with Hedwig coming in as a close second, lacking only in its lack of a Greeek choir

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TropicalCoke posted:

C spam is a good forum

agreed

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

cumshitter posted:

YouTube "little Shop ya never know" and skip to about 2:12 in. song that gets the most out of the chorus singers who are way more talented than the regular cast

Hedwig is practically Disco Elysium in its themes and doesn't get proper love and credit imho

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dreylad posted:

I know you're joking but people would probably enjoy their experience here more if they worried less about what other people on other forums were doing and saying

This is true but when people whining about forums they don't even post in is proven to be a good way to get things changed in that forum for no real reason, a war footing must be adopted. Like we are a day away from some QCS regular posting "CSPAM is a politics forum, why do they have a cooking thread" and the thread getting closed because the rest of the regulars rush in to paint it as some kind of ultra low carb thread making people mentally ill, so if Athanos is posting here for some CSPAM context to better tell those idiots to pound sand, I think we'd all do well to provide it

spacemang_spliff posted:

Shitposting for all who want it

Affordable access to shitposting for people who have started at least 3 OPs and posted for 5 years in impoverished forums

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Harton posted:

it wouldn’t let me put an exclamation point after Beefy! though

it's important that civility when titling threads is maintained, please do NOT get too excited

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

a Loving Dog posted:

this, honestly. just put the chat freaks in the chat freak subforum where they belong, its simple

Actually the CSPAM chat thread should be in CSPAM

The Glenn thread however definitely belongs in RGD however since Glenn is a social media personality

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I definitely don't want D&D closed, if that happened a lot of them would start posting here, and it's really frustrating arguing (which is good) with people who treat it like debate club (bad). I'm very happy they have their own forum to do that sort of thing in, and I suspect most of them are happy to have all us "a debate's best form is a screaming fight in a bar at 2am between Marxists" contained in our own

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Glenn is a moron but so is Trump, but I still supported the Trump thread because it wasn't really what it said on the tin. I don't want the Glenn thread closed and I am content to do battle with its posters one on one without calling for their home to be pulled down much like I think it was stupid that the Trump thread was forced to be renamed for no reason

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

I don't think it'd be split along chat vs whatever lines. Just old/established vs spontaneous/short. It's just a solution to bookmarks/crews. The idea is how do you promote engagement against threads that already have their groups established. Not necessarily effort vs no effort. Would such a structure actually do anything? Nobody knows...

Megathreads are a boon for small threads because you can post "hey I started a thread for X, come post here if you're interested" and you get like 600 people seeing it instead of just hoping interested people stumble across it before it gets knocked off page 1

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

You would still be able to do this if they were if big thread land was the cspam subforum

Then there isn't any need to needlessly reorganize everything in the first place

the simple fact is that every online space like us has spent decades trying to avoid megathreads forming and yet they always do. People want them regardless of if it annoys some people. If you create a space with strict bans on anything too active you've created a doomed space

The notion that the chat thread should be moved for no actual reason than 2 posters in a single thread don't like it is frankly lunatic

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Carving up the forum into one for big and small threads feels like changing something just to change it. Strictly categorizing threads does not seem very c-spam. The best answer might be making the button to sort by thread creation time more prominent.

I think this is what was agreed on some pages back and I agree

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

croup coughfield posted:

if its a containment zone, all the more reason to move it to the containment forum

every thread is a containment zone to someone who doesn't like it for any reason at all

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Athanatos posted:

If you think "getting rid of megathreads will let other threads have more space a thrive" I can see that argument. I've made it myself for more often rebooting megathreads.

Saying "It's bad, move it away from my eyes so I don't see the title in the thread list" seems pointless.

It's an especially odd demand here for it to be closed or moved because the thread in question is rebooted monthly lol, or rather was and we'll see what is done with the chat thread but the Trump thread was killed for no reason and it was back within hours so I don't know what the people calling for its destruction once again expect to happen

My take is that it's obviously an inevitability in online spaces like SA, so it should be harness instead of resources spent fruitlessly trying to suppress it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'd definitely like a thread where especially stupid reports made by CSPAMers or against us are posted for us to mock and jeer tho. I don't know if this would fix anything but I would find it very funny so I encourage it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I agree with showing all the reports that are not acted upon, not so much "get a load of this guy" but rather to show who's a protected class/which habitually bad posters skate by by virtue of being friends with one of the 65 bad IKs

I disagree because that sort of thing is usually obvious anyway and I suspect most reports are boring and unfunny

Athanatos posted:

While a lot of Politics Forums reports are Misc (no action), we have had issues in the past where people refuse to report anything for whatever reason. It lead to things horrible things just sitting in threads for weeks and people going "Why wasn't anything done about this?"

I don't want to discourage people from reporting things and get into that situation again.

Think like, the Taintrunner report being revealed. I doubt that cooled the heels of anybody reporting legitimate stuff on account of it being so egregiously dumb and it was super funny

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

croup coughfield posted:

i guess i lean heavily towards the former and would like to see those preferring the latter scattered and destroyed

Cspam is as big as GBS, it's literally impossible for it to become some laser focused space for a handful of subjects. Youd be better served pitching some form of sub forum for CSPAM for that if you have a clear enough vision of what youd like it to be

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lol why does it always come back to calling a huge group of people ill in some way because they post casually sometimes. Theres no need to pathologize your distaste for threads that arent sufficiently on topic of stuff you consider proper, doubly so since you in fact that those threads already

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Plinkey posted:

I don't think CSPAM is a politics forum anymore, it was a place to gawk to stupid poo poo (like Trump) which are tangentially related to politics, and it's in a good place where it's at.

Recycle the chat/trump thread (whatever you want to call it monthly) and go from there, there is literally zero cost to entry to post there and don't if you don't like how it goes on any given day, give it a few hours and come back, I don't see it as an issue at all.

It definitely is, we are used to it and consider it normal but its Overton window is shockingly left for online spaces and there basically isnt anything else like it even in the dedicated spaces of actual socialist orgs

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Plinkey posted:

I mean, the other problem is that everything is political now

It always has been. Everything now is just more immediate and harder to wave away

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm not one of the people who just instantly despises anybody with any amount of authority but I'd just like it said that I support us still having a full cohort of mods even if most actual day to day stuff is to be thread IKs if for no other reason than CSPAM's viewpoint is not excluded from any discussions that happen in mod spaces

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I dont think a right winger would be like, instant banned or anything, but there is a reason why every one that was around ended up self-banning with a racist screed or similar and it wasnt targeted harassment campaigns, it was because they dont actually want to debate or argue about anywhere where there is no manager to cry to and there are shitloads of places on the internet that cater to that they so all left (or declared themselves the god of communism after a cough syrup binge)

Hell we made boosted an IK and he STILL wouldnt wear the hat

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i also think chat threads are more vulnerable to that kind of shift in character. not even making GBS threads on them this time, it's just what happens with an online group you roll with. discord, steam friends, old tf2 servers. they're parasocial memories now.

People come and people go over years, and as such essential character will change. It's a thread that was on topic like a laser when something was going on, it just didn't slow down much when there wasn't. Very much a laboratory of postocracy where good ideas are forged in the fires of mass critique and bud off into their own threads sometimes when people get tired of talking about it

What I didn't like most of all about the moving it idea was the pitch that it would both not change anything for those who post there and they'd be welcome in other CSPAM threads, but also it would keep bad chat thread posters from polluting other threads or whatever. Both can't be true and it's a wholly unnecessary thing to do in the first place. Just let threads who feel especially aggrieved by Harton get their own Forums Resource Officer IK they can speed dial to make him stop or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

when you think about it, nobody makes more lists of posters than astral