Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Must support TPM 1.2 but will show a warning if not 2.0

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/windows-11/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Kreeblah posted:

I do wish they'd had some more news on ARM Windows, though. I'm looking forward to my next laptop upgrade, but it's gonna be an ARM Mac, so I'd really like there to be some sort of version of Windows I can virtualize for the rare times when I need to use it.

You can already virtualize Windows Arm. And fall update should bring x64 emulation in addition to 32bit one.
As for news Windows 11 will allow 64bit arm programs use x64 dlls.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Kreeblah posted:

At that point, drivers are going to be my only real concern, so hopefully my poo poo gets ARM drivers (which it probably won't, since it's all niche stuff like multimeters, a KryoFlux unit, and so on).
For that you use a dedicated not network connected pc that runs whatever misconfigured/old version of windows they support.

Kreeblah posted:

I thought it wasn't possible to buy ARM Windows outside of an OEM, though. Or does it just use the same keys?

You can't buy. You :filez:

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm not clear on where the Android apps are coming from - it sounds like it's from Amazon via the Windows Store. I avoid Amazon as much as possible, so if it requires something to do with them I'm a little less than thrilled.

There probably is sideloading. And the Amazon stuff probably just shows that you can add additional stores to Windows store.
Additionally in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egZ82QGshX8 they show that a store entry can be, for example, simply a link like https://get.videolan.org/vlc/3.0.16/win64/vlc-3.0.16-win64.exe. no manifests or special packaging.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Big same. I love the tactile feel of touch interfaces, and the new haptic support on Surface pen they talked about sounds kind of intriguing too.
Haptics require new hardware.

On a lighter note: Microsoft sells a 4800$ Surface Studio 2 that has 7th gen intel cpu. So is not officially supported.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Apparently my mobo has a TPM connector, although I would have to have a drat compelling reason to switch to a new Windows version until it's been out a year or two.

That doesn't matter because your CPU is not supported.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's a Ryzen 3600X so it's on the list anyway. I'd just never had a reason to look at TPM before.

Then it's a setting in uefi

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
That DWIZZLE creature sounds like that "NT Kernel engineer" that showed up a couple years ago. Claiming that ReactOS simply must be stolen NT code because everybody at Microsoft is a genius.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

lazydog posted:

I have a little HP desktop with an i5-6500 and it fails microsoft's windows 11 check.

Initially it said it failed because the system didn't support secure boot, so I enabled it and TPM in the bios, and I flashed an HP update to upgrade the TPM from 1.2 to 2.0, and now it fails with a generic "the processor isn't supported" message.

Only gen 8 and up Intel CPUs are supported.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Small keyboard still not available in my language. Also performance of the on screen keyboard is awful on my laptop. The whole UI experience reminds me of running Windows Blinds on Windows 95.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Dunno, but speaking of office, I gotta say I'm not hugely thrilled with the refresh. It's pretty on the surface, but one thing that they're losing that a lot of UIs are losing these days is the use of contrast to help separate and group control groups. They went the right way between 13 and 16 but now they're going back to a sea of pale.
Not only that. They moved the quick commands from title bar to an additional bar below the ribbon.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

Oops! If MS's own, nearly-new Surfaces can't actually run win11 without heavy performance problems, it's gonna suck for them.
Top of the line/newest/still being sold 4000$ Surface Studio 2 has 7th gen Intel cpu and so does not support Windows 11.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Speaking of which, there's a Surface event on the 22nd, and if it turns out they're bringing back the Surface Neo before it gets too out of date and trying to push this out in time for release then :laffo:

They removed Surface Neo information from their website. It's dead. Intel even discontinued the CPU it was using.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

Maybe Intel sent MS a list of CPU's they are allowed to support in order to sell more new CPU's? :tinfoil:

Microsoft promised the oems that they will get a new os to sell to customers - windows 10x. It was bad even by Microsoft standards. So they cancelled it. Oems still demand new os. So microsoft slaps togeter windows 11

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Doccykins posted:

so not sure if when it comes to RTM they keep me on preview builds or dump me back to 10
They said it will stop updating and you will stay at whatever build was last released. Going back to 10 will require reinstall.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

cage-free egghead posted:

I thought the Steam Deck is only going to run a modified Arch distro?

It's a pc. You can put anything you want on it. I bet within first week it will be running Macos.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Vic posted:

Any news on when will they launch the android app support?

9 days ago.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

Snipping tool is the “legacy one” while snip and sketch is the “current one” . Snipping tool has not been removed to avoid legacy apps crapping out if the old exe was missing.

Nope. With Windows 11 Snipping tool is the current one (new icons and updated looks) and snip and sketch is discontinued.
https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/08/12/first-set-of-windows-app-updates-rolling-out-to-windows-insiders-for-windows-11/

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Sickening posted:

I love the new terminal. I don't love the hoops you have to jump through to put things like python on your loving terminal.
You write python and it opens store to install. What hoops?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

My audio glitches are definitely gone after disabling fTPM.

I mean what the gently caress.

It's possible that enabling it turns on either the Virtualization based security or some other device security features.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Captain von Trapp posted:

I just want a system that can encrypt the drive such that the laptop is a brick unless they have the password. This used to not be hard. How do I do that?

Use Veracrypt or https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/39888-delete-bitlocker-recovery-key-onedrive-microsoft-account.html

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The drivers, oh Jesus the drivers! Starting up Device Manager with a bunch of yellow !!!!! everywhere!

Still a thing with Windows 11.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

redeyes posted:

Not really actually, not at all.

I installed fresh on my laptop. Still a thing.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

~Coxy posted:

Windows 10 is this way now. Not even starting from the GM.

You probably didn't experience the end of Windows 7 with the exponential increase in update time (and updates breaking at some point). With Windows 10 you just install the latest full build on top of any previous one. And the the latest rollup.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

SpicyPete posted:

The dev build released today lets you put the clock on secondary monitors, along with being able to reduce the size of the recommended section.

Have they added the unheard of revolutionary feature known as drag and drop to taskbar?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

karoshi posted:

WAG but check if dwm.exe has ballooned in size. Mine does sometimes get to 3 GB. Killing it, or restarting the service if you feel fancy, fixes it. I blame Firefox, just because.

It's a known problem with Intel Gpu drivers and Windows 20h1 and up. You need either latest 101.1191 or much older driver.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Good news! Pro version will also require an account and internet during install. https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2022/02/16/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22557/

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm thinking it would reduce the chances she could install malware.

Teamviewer and Anydesk work on linux (They are used by scammers). So a Ublock origin + postit with text "don't call random numbers on internet" should be enough.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

No. It's possible to have your entire user profile be located on a different drive, but not possible to split it across multiple drives via any automatic process.

But you can use symlinks. For example by using http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Sickening posted:

The fact its no longer a button tells me someone at Microsoft not only didn't like the option, but also didn't want other people to use the option at all. That person, team, or leader is loving stupid.

There is no button because there never was a button. The taskbar/start menu in Windows 11 is from their dual-screen mobile device Surface Neo.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Tapedump posted:

So, goddamn you for being responsible for making me aware of this, okay?
It was used as product placement in Wandavision

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

qsvui posted:

you can enter "shutdown" from powertoys as well

Can also press the big button on case. It initiates the proper Shutdown procedure.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Sickening posted:

The right click menu changes.

That's the only visual thing about 11 I like

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

Everyone else in the world already knows about MPC-HC and VLC.

Any MS-made Media Player bundled into the OS, when those two very good options exist, is gonna be made for the people who saved a video off their phone and don't want any options other than double-click -> play.

MPV or Plex/Jellyfin

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

Isn't hibernate a bad idea in the SSD era?

Only if you have 128+ GB of ram and hibernate every 2 minutes.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Keito posted:

1. Can you tell Windows to connect to an already paired Bluetooth device somewhere? I haven't found a way to initiate this from the Windows side, so I've been removing and pairing again every time this was needed.

You just turn the device on and it connects. At least my mouse does.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Vic posted:

K-lite codec pack is the automatic choice

It wasn't a choice 10 years ago and still isn't.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

codo27 posted:

Should basically never upgrade from within Windows. Major OS installs should always be done cleanly. It might tell you that its not capable of W11 when you try though.

Those twice a year updates Windows 10 had. Those all were major OS installs. I understand habits learned from using Windows 95 die hard.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

codo27 posted:

Our power grid is loving third world and we had an unexplained outage yesterday. Are surge protectors even worth it? (Jumping to conclusions here)

If you have that kind of power grid, get an ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Continuing on hdds. Onedrive/Edge/Office/Windows Store/Defender/Windows update all have different independent update mechanisms that kick on boot. And have to compete with each other/Defender for the hdd. Add to that Chrome/Discord/Dropbox with their updates also running on boot. Add to that Chome running essentially additional antivirus full system scan on first launch after update. And the poor hdd can't keep up.