Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Yeah, that manual never mentions TPM, and doesn't explain PTT at all.

At least the AMD version is called fTPM so you can infer it's a TPM setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

My install of the leaked build just got an update to the new preview build.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

I used uupdump.net to build an ISO for this release that includes Education and Enterprise versions. It successfully went through Intune onboarding and activated using a Win10 volume license.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

I set up the preview on VMware Horizon VDI, and so far almost everything works normally. FSLogix is taking an extra 10-15 seconds to load profiles for some reason, and loading Win10 profiles causes a bunch of graphical glitches. Hopefully they'll have some system for converting profiles by release.

I was worried performance would be bad because my server has no hardware acceleration for graphics, but the UI actually runs smoother than Win10 does. RAM and CPU usage are a bit higher, but I haven't done any OS optimizations for VDI yet.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Windows store apps, including Windows Terminal, do not show up in that folder. That's probably the same as Win10 though, I never checked.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Zeta Acosta posted:

i have a old xeon 1246 and a h81m-e33. no windows 11 for me?

Not officially, but if you really want it I'm sure people will find a way around the install restrictions fairly quickly. It only took a couple hours for people to bypass it on the initial leaked preview build.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Microsoft made a blog post about compatibility with older systems. https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/08/27/update-on-windows-11-minimum-system-requirements-and-the-pc-health-check-app/

Basically the hardware requirements will only be enforced for upgrades through Windows update, not upgrades or installs from installation media*. And they've added these CPUs to the officially supported list:

Intel® Core™ X-series, Xeon® W-series
Intel® Core™ 7820HQ (only select devices that shipped with modern drivers based on Declarative, Componentized, Hardware Support Apps (DCH) design principles, including Surface Studio 2)

They claim that AMD Zen1 CPUs have 52% more kernel crashes than later AMD CPUs, and should be avoided for W11. They also go into more detail about the justifications for the hardware requirements.

*That's what The Verge's article about it claims, but I don't see that anywhere on the actual windows blog post.

E: Here's the updated supported processor lists:
Intel
AMD
Qualcomm

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 27, 2021

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

corgski posted:

With the hardware and TPM requirements they’ve ensured that they’ve locked themselves out of upgrading the vast majority of windows 10 systems.

Various media outlets said yesterday that the requirements won't be enforced when upgrading/installing from media instead of windows update. I didn't see an official Microsoft source for that claim though.

I'm a little sceptical of Microsoft's claim that unsupported CPUs have 52% more kernel mode crashes in win11. They give the same 52% figure when discussing AMD Zen1 and for unsupported CPUs in general. Doesn't make sense to me that they'd have the exact same rate of failure. They also don't give any context at all for those crashes.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

ben shapino posted:

How can I do this? I can't really get into any Settings screens.

From the login screen hold shift and select reboot to reboot into recovery. Then Troubleshoot > Advanced > System Restore.

Some people on Reddit are claiming that the problem is an explorer update that installed separately from the windows update and so system restore didn't fix it for them. Worked for me though :iiam:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Normally I'd say this kind of bug is the kind of thing you sign up for when testing, but it's a bad sign that this is still happening on the beta branch of an OS launching in 1 month. A lot of the issues from the first public preview builds still haven't been addressed.

One of the first things I reported in the feedback hub is explorer going into a crash loop at login if you had the taskbar on the side when upgrading from windows 10. That's still happening in the beta channel.

Another issue I found is explorer buttons being nearly illegible if you load a Win10 FSLogix profile in W11:

FSLogix is the profile solution MS uses for their cloud hosted VMs. I hope they fix that before release. They haven't really said much about W11 for enterprise deployments. I haven't reported that one because I used a third party tool to expose the Enterprise/Education options on the ISO and I can't rule that out as the cause.

If you go back to W10 with one of those profiles the clock/date disappears from the taskbar. Surprisingly those are the only bugs I've encountered moving profiles back and forth.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Okay, what do I have to type to get My Computer/Computer/This PC to appear in search results? In 7 I just typed 'compu', in 10 it was 'this pc', in 11 I can't get any such result and have to open file explorer then navigate there myself. It isn't a huge issue, but kind of annoying.

Also I can pin This PC to start, but not the taskbar for some reason. I think it was the same in 10 as well.

It will show in a search if you enable the desktop shortcut then pin the shortcut to the Start Menu. The option to enable the desktop This PC shortcut is hidden away in the Personalization > Themes > Desktop Icons menu of all places.

Alternatively you can make 'This PC' the default page in Explorer from the folder options menu.

E: just saw that you already tried pinning it to Start, dunno why that's not working for you. The reason it can't be pinned to the taskbar is that 'This PC' is a special system shortcut, not a not a file shortcut to explorer.exe. It's a weird holdover from older versions of Windows.

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 5, 2021

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

The CPU limitation is a legit worry for my work. It's a public school in Alberta, which is has basically no funding due to conservative governments cutting our budget by a few % nearly every year for last couple decades. At this point we only replace PCs if the cost of replacing is lower than the cost of repair. By 2025 >50% of our machines probably won't have a supported CPU. That leaves us with either forcing Win11 to run on unsupported hardware, or switching half our machines to Win10 LTSC 2019.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

MS Game Pass is the main reason Windows is on my home PC. As far as I can tell there's still no way to run that or any UWP apps in Linux.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

As far as I know they haven't released info on how upgrade paths for the release version will work for enterprise. The closest is this blog from Sept 2 about upgrading to\installing the beta in enterprise environments. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/commercial-previews-for-windows-11-and-windows-10-version-21h2/ba-p/2676467

FWIW I've set up VMs for people to test critical apps at work, and so far everything that works in 21H2 works the same in Win11 beta. There are a couple apps that don't work in 21H2 though, and one of vendors told us they don't currently have plans to support Win10 21H2 or Win11.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

:same:

Open-Shell still works, if you don't mind having 2 start buttons.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

That's the channel for builds that could be RTM, but will likely(hopefully) have additional bugfixes before release. I don't think there have been any W11 releases in that channel yet. The announcements on their blog still only mention Dev and Beta channels.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Oh I'm sure it'll get patches etc., I'm just wondering if I can install Windows 11 now and when it's officially released I don't need to do a reinstall with another ISO or whatever.

Yes. If your system is on a Beta or Release Preview build when the final is released you can unenroll from Insider Preview and update to the RTM. https://insider.windows.com/en-us/leave-program

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Of course right after I posted yesterday that there were no builds in the Release Preview channel: https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/09/16/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22000-194/

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

url posted:

E: Sorry, I quoted the wrong post....

Somebody a couple of pages back was upset because shiift-click on an open application in the taskbar wasn't opening a second instance (as has been the case since 7)

In my couple of hours using 11, I was randomly clicking a variety of key-combination & clicks because I do use several instances of an application at one time.

I did get one UAC pop-up, but otherwise Ctrl+shift and click on the open application opens a second, etc instance.

Apologies if I am wrong (or have some wiers unique setting enabling this), but I didn't see anyone reply to the upset goon.

Ctrl+shift opens a program with elevated permissions(as admin), which is why the UAC prompt comes up. You really shouldn't be running programs elevated unless you have a specific reason, and should probably never run a web browser elevated.

It's useful for the new Windows terminal, because the task pin doesn't have a run as admin button in it's right click menu like PowerShell does.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

site posted:

installing 11 now isn't worth it unless you have an obsessive need to tweak your computer when it's not even broken like i do

If you have an obsessive need to tweak your computer there's always Linux. I installed Pop!_OS on my PC on the W11 release day and only boot into W11 to play games that wont work in Linux. Now I'm considering switching to an Arch distro because 95% of my Linux experience is with Debian.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

On Pro versions you can still use Group Policy to configure Windows Update to notify but not automatically download. I know it works on 10, haven't tried it on 11 yet to confirm.

E:
Here's instructions for configuring that policy or configuring the equivalent registry values. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 22, 2021

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Question: am I able to dual boot between Windows 11 and Linux distributions? I vaguely remember something about Secure Boot needing disabled or something similar.

You can still dual boot, and most modern Linux distros support Secure Boot. You will need to disable fast startup in Windows if you want to mount the windows partition in Linux.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

hooah posted:

What could cause a USB drive to be unrecognized by Windows Explorer, but show up in the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" system tray thing?

Have you checked Disk Management to see if the volumes are being detected there? Sometimes Windows doesn't automatically assign drive letters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

Nah, it's active and real with a wide variety of reports across different forums and repos. Enough that I doubt I'd experience anything different trying myself. 2023 might be "new" but it's not doing anything cutting edge with its speaker system.

https://insider.razer.com/razer-support-45/razer-blade-16-speakers-linux-48233?sort=dateline.desc#comments

In this case it looks like Alienware hosed up the firmware and had to add extra code to their Windows driver to work around it
(from that link)

quote:

From my tries to make sound work (even reverse engineer windows driver) I am to conclusion that this is BIOS bug. There is no pin assignment listed in ACPI table to enable speakers and is left to windows driver to do heavy lifting. Speakers are working only with windows realtek driver ...