Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I would like Microsoft to explain why my i5-7600k isn’t supported officially despite having all the hardware features they want for whatever the hell they’re cooking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Snow Fire posted:

I can see why people would call it mouse unfriendly as it ignores certain UI design considerations like the 2nd fastest place to get to is the corners of a screen, yet the start button is by default in the center where it moves left and right depending on how many programs are open destroying muscle memory. Thankfully you can at least restore it back to the left, but another couple of examples would be the start menu and context menu. The power button, all apps, and settings used to right next to the start button when the start menu is opened, yet now they are flung quite a bit far away from the start button. As for the context menu, if you use 7-Zip and other programs that add context entries, you now have to go to the bottom and click show more options and then select what you wanted. It's very inefficient requiring more clicks and mouse travel. One more example is being able to move the taskbar, like to the left if you're on an ultra wide~

As for the grouped icons, maybe he uses the never combine option, so instead of grouped icons, they are separate entities on the taskbar with labels, which is much more efficient and better than grouped icons in my opinion. Though with Windows 11, grouped icons is the only option, they removed the option to not combine~

Personally hope all these get addressed as I keep my taskbar on top of the screen and don't like grouped icons on the taskbar or having useful context menu entries hidden away~

please break your tilde key off your keyboard, your permissions are revoked~

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i still want to know why my kaby lake processor isn't officially supported

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Klyith posted:

No, CPUs with built-in TPM enclaves long predate what's on the W11 support list.

The CPU support thing is ironically a way more well-founded and reasonable demand! Using a hypervisor to isolate the OS kernel and defender from everything else is a good anti-malware defense. But it would kinda suck for people to get a surprise performance hit from upgrading to 11, so a tiny support list is rational.

So that's a case where I actually agree with MS that their next major OS should require CPUs with that feature set. But I think that forcing the changeover this fall is insanely early.

And I’m still waiting for why my 7600k isn’t on the supported list. Not from you, but it pisses me off there’s not even a peep from MS about why it’s not included.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

The main goal is probably forcing OEMs and mainboard manufacturers into making these new requirements their defaults, so they can be enforced when Windows 12 comes around.

Mainboard manufacturers especially are notorious for super conservative default settings.

One of Ars Technica's recent pieces at launch pegged it to being a DoD requirement, in which case Microsoft needed to force it to get system integrators on board. So the hassle/trouble on your own desktop you built yourself is so Microsoft can sell other licenses on other computers to the US military.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EngineerJoe posted:

Are Canadians able to get the android subsystem?

US only for now: https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/10/20/announcing-android-apps-on-windows-11-preview-for-windows-insiders-in-the-beta-channel/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

Windows 11: The New Kindle Fire

that's literally it, yes - the windows android app support uses the amazon store, not google play

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

Not really, having to individually open every subsetting instead of being able to scroll down is very annoying when setting up a new system.

it's better for tablets though

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

it's better for tablets though

I’m very sorry if my shitposting actually convinced anyone to install windows 11, my sincere apologies

Also I picked up an M1 iPad Pro as a laptop replacement recently for university and it’s great, but most of my work is reading and marking up PDFs so it fits that form factor really well. If I had any coding needs it wouldn’t have worked for sure

e: buying Apple’s laptop keyboard + trackpad folio was a non-negotiable addition though

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Is there a good reason for the other non-performance cpu requirements? My old desktop meets them all, except for the cpu not being whitelisted.

the guess for kaby lake in particular is that testing found some instability/performance regressions, since it meets all of the cpu requirements but is not on the whitelist.

however, there are CPUs from surface models that windows 11 explicitly supports despite those CPUs specifically not having the security technologies windows 11 requires.

in short, the whitelist seems to be whatever made microsoft themselves the most money and is the easiest lmao

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BrainDance posted:

In later builds it got better, the start menu got trimmed down and resembled the XP one more. I think that extra useless space on the left got cut off somewhere in the early 24** builds. The little blocks in the title bar became more prominent where it fades from light blue to dark blue.

And then suddenly build 2428 everything was blue and green and bubbly and stupid for no reason.

I know it sounds like a really nerdy thing to get all hung up over, it's just that it was perfect. It was still simple, really simple, like "classic" Windows UI. But also modern, it wasn't just grey and blue menus and bars everywhere. It would have been so much better, and I really don't understand why anyone would be looking at that and say "no, we're going with Luna."

I won't clutter up the Windows 11 thread with more pictures of 20 year old betas, but you can see one of the later builds that did it well here https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_XP_build_2419_(idx02.010113-1154)

you're posting in the tech forum of a dead comedy website's internet forums (a largely dead technology themselves) in 2021 in the dedicated thread about the new version of windows

everyone here is already a turbonerd, don't worry

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Keito posted:

I can't say that I open programs large enough to max out the SSD read bandwith with any common frequency...

i'm hoping one day i can find an ssd that'll keep pace with my collection of fork bombs

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikusR posted:

Continuing on hdds. Onedrive/Edge/Office/Windows Store/Defender/Windows update all have different independent update mechanisms that kick on boot. And have to compete with each other/Defender for the hdd. Add to that Chrome/Discord/Dropbox with their updates also running on boot. Add to that Chome running essentially additional antivirus full system scan on first launch after update. And the poor hdd can't keep up.

Chrome runs its own antivirus? What?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Criss-cross posted:

Tons of malicious browser addons and hijackers out there that target Chrome. Just look at any tech support forum on Reddit, people definitely get infected with that garbage all the time.

The people that click on those Bonzi Buddy ads? They still exist.

Oh I knew about that and browser sandboxing. I just didn’t know Chrome ran it’s own antivirus. Today I learned, no big deal.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Klyith posted:

No, and there's actually a mostly* good reason for the CPU requirements: a hardware feature called Mode Based Execution Control that is important to the security system going forward. Using HVCI aka Memory Integrity, Defender and the windows core are* protected by the virtualization hardware. Neaning that even if you click yes on a UAC prompt a normal program can't muck with their memory.

MBEC isn't totally necessary to use HVCI, but it is a massive performance impact in some conditions. MBEC was added in the AMD Zen 2** (ryzen 3000 desktop / 4000 laptop) and Intel 7000 CPUs.

*none of these features are active by default yet, so...

**but MS made an exception and put Zen+ CPUs on the supported list because they were selling a Surface laptop with no MBEC when they announced Win11.

And yet intel xx-7xxx processors aren’t on the supported list for some reason, which is really weird. MS STILL hasn’t said why.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

repiv posted:

i didn't get that startup screen this time

a:b testing for how much bullshit people are willing to put up with

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Why the hell is it an app and not a setting? The bloody Xbox has it!

There's no setting so the guy wrote an app to do it instead.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pvt. Parts posted:

Windows 11 is stable and pretty but the worst part is and will forever be all the weird legacy stuff Microsoft seems to not have the balls/care to ditch. Some settings are still laid across various types of control panels dating back to like I dunno Win 7 days? If you are going to release a new major OS version, make it a new major OS version, users be damned. That said in the grand scheme of things this is a minor complaint and the OS is good when it is working properly (tip: clean installs are King).

I forget where it was but I saw an article peeling back the layers in Windows 11 - here’s an element from 10, this still uses an 8-style picker, that kind of stuff. The article ended with an unholy old ODBC selector still using a Windows 3.1 file picker.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Exciting new vectors for security flaws

it's like activex all over again

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm really curious if I'd choose to use this over either LICEcap or just the Game Recorder on the desktop. This is the closest to a real feature Win11 has though, so I guess that's a step.

Lice in my PC sounds bad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I dunno, I think some of the regressions in Windows 11 were really arbitrary and dumb. No small taskbar icons. No ungrouped taskbar. No moving the taskbar to the side of the screen. These were really basic UI elements that have been standard and expected for years, and Microsoft yanked them for little or no reason.

it sounds like they probably rewrote the taskbar code for some reason and didn't have time/resources to implement the other stuff. like it's a feature regression overall, but not arbitrarily removing things to go gently caress you.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikusR posted:

Linux is great if there is a dedicated team supporting it. Like SteamDeck or Raspberry Pi

what the linux kernel mailing list isn't good enough for you, smh

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Perplx posted:

The only thing that’s really different is that the start menu is stuck in baby mode.

no that was windows xp with the teething toy start menu

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

On Win11 Windows Update seems to just automatically grab anything it has and that's worked out well for everything I've used it on.

Well, except for the GPU drivers for the Surface Pro 5, but Snappy got those so whatever, probably just MS being dumb

windows update not getting the correct drivers for a microsoft branded computer is pretty funny

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

What's the cheapest way to get a windows 11 key nowadays?

Or in other words, are sites like g2a.com and vip-urcdkey.com legit?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898368

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

And I'd be mad about it! Literally clippy 2.0! "It looks like you used the contraction 'it's' when you meant to used the possessive 'its' - do you want me to autocorrect this for you??"

No - gently caress off. I'd rather my bad grammar be immortalized then ever see my computer comment about it.

meanwhile macos has system level spellchecking and autocorrect that just work and have for years

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to start a MacOS versus Windows war, just clown on how bad Microsoft is at basic system use poo poo these days.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Someone was like "why is Windows maxing out my CPU cores" the other day and without thinking I just rattled off three completely useless dogshit services that do that stuff randomly. Why is it doing that? I don't know, but I wish it would stop.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Does MS sell Win 11 ARM licenses to consumers? I recently learned you can install Win 11 on some Snapdragon devices, but was wondering how you do that legally if it's not preinstalled. (Not that I have that kind of device myself)

e:maybe you can use regular win11 keys?

A regular Windows 11 Pro key works. See the note at the bottom here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...bc-121baa3c568c

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If neoliberal capitalism didn't exist you'd have more of a point, but as it is...

don't worry that poster publicly advocates for privatizing health care being a good thing, they absolutely know what neoliberal capitalism is

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

It’s the ASL for pizzeria, which is taken from the movements you make to shape a pizza crust. This one is actually just a coincidence.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So if the whole tower is the hard drive why aren’t your files there, not on your monitors? What do they think a hard drive does?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

beuges posted:

I’ve never seen this sort of info before but don’t those screenshots literally show that the block applies up to some version number? So all the devs need to do is to rebuild with a higher version number, after hopefully fixing whatever bugs are causing MS to block them? The dev is focusing on the *startallback* entry while ignoring the very next line that says “block up to version 5.x.y.z”

And MS allows devs to subscribe to crash reports for their apps. I don’t know if it’s their responsibility to be contacting everyone whose apps are unstable or not, but I’d imagine if I was building software that relied on mucking about with internal undocumented operating system data it would be in my best interest to keep track of if my software is breaking users machines or not.
People are going to respond to this saying that MS added the app to their blocklist so they could have contacted the dev at the same time. I’m pretty sure that block list is a) huge and b) derived from crash report telemetry which just has raw executable and process info in it, which doesn’t contain helpful info like the authors email address.

The first screenshot shows a version-specific block that's used for safety reasons. The second screenshot shows a block that just checks for executable name and does not check version at all, which is what's in effect now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

down1nit posted:

I use the start menu just fine. I like that run as admin comes up as a choice when searching. I like having icon folders, I like not having to open "All programs" immediately after hitting start.

I did have to spend time customizing it. Sucks it doesn't sync. It's iphone level functionality, you're barely able to customize it, but you can. It drags bigger or smaller, does search pretty OK anymore, and only crashes every other day. It's kinda slow too so I get that part but Jesus gently caress it's just a menu for pictures and words.

Have you guys tried actually using it or are you just being edgy? You just click on a picture the same as I do and the program runs. Right? Am I missing something?

It sounds like a flippant question meant to insult but I really don't see any real reason to say it sucks, other than it's new (and slow sometimes).
I don't like groupthink and how it can progress into grouphate like you shits post sometimes.

Be realistic, think about it just a little bit more cool headed than you've been. See if it's actually a problem or if you're just getting triggered by changes and w h i t e s p a c e.

Anyone wanna do a start menu sucks effortpost? Maybe you'll uncover some excellent points and I'll look like some shill

"it only crashes every other day" excellent very stable core part of the operating system experience. how about they stop stuffing it full of poo poo and it crashes never

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm confused as to why the software engineers don't try to fix stuff like this. Don't they use the software they create?

Large software companies aren't just nerds writing pure code and focusing on what's performative and offers good features. When you start getting into teams that are large enough to have more than one manager, factionalism, not invented here, and infighting over who's idea are best (so, politics) become an increasingly larger part of what goes into the actual software. Microsoft in particular is infamous for this. People weren't kidding up thread when they discussed how the Start Menu was getting stuff stuck into it by other teams; the AI people in the Windows 11 development team have lots of political credit, so they spend it pushing AI, or Cortana, or web integration into the Start menu. Then the people who are actually responsible for the Start menu (if there even IS anyone who's specifically responsible for it) are told to do that integration with their development time, not focusing on making it more stable or performative. Stability gets pushed back to the bugfixing phase of development, and then you're doing triage on showstoppers and the Start menu being slow is less priority than it crashing on systems using Dell trackpads or some poo poo, and that's how you get where you are today.

Basically, people know that it's bad, but they're powerless to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

corgski posted:

It's not random partitions - it'll create an EFI boot partition if that doesn't exist yet (and usually too small at only 100MB, so you're better off making that with a linux installer) and a 300MB recovery partition at the end of the disk/free space and then the partition you tell it to make right after the EFI partition, which will gently caress you later when you run out of room on the EFI partition.

What’s the issue with the EFI partition being too small? Is this something Windows users generally run into, or is it only a problem when dual-booting or similar?