Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Shaocaholica posted:

Will win10 pro keys work for 11?

I did a fresh install of 11 last month using a 7 key I had lying around, so 10 keys should still work just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
The automatic storage of Bitlocker recovery keys definitely saved me a lot of hassle when I got a new laptop and pulled the SSD from the old one without really thinking about it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I have a relative that I sometimes run tech support for who had external hard drives for backups, and it sorta worked at first. But then a computer died and there were important documents that hadn't been backed up yet, so the drive was pulled and then there were two external drives. They aren't especially computer savvy, so there is sometimes confusion as to exactly where things were saved. Over the years a couple more laptops died and the drives were pulled and things are just scattered everywhere but we're never completely confident we grabbed everything important to feel safe disposing of all the old drives.

Now they're on a cloud storage service and it's far easier to manage. It's not necessarily the absolute safest backup method, but having exactly one location accessible on all devices has been a big help in simplifying everything to manageable levels.

isndl
May 2, 2012

~Coxy posted:

If you turn on "never combine", and hover over an entry on the taskbar, do you get the stupid thumbnail?

The thumbnail is sometimes useful when you have several Explorer windows open and you need to double check which one you're dragging files to at least, and ignorable if you're moving quickly.

I just want them to hurry up on getting never combine windows into full release so I can switch windows with one click instead of two.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Pvt. Parts posted:

Not trying to rustle any jimmies here but aren't most G2A keys of equal "dodginess" to our SA store ones basically? I'm mostly just salty that I spent like $130 CAD for a key through retail but also how is such arbitrage possible it is madness.

Non-authorized key reseller sites often get their keys from credit card scammers and thieves, basically as a money laundering operation. Sometimes keys may be revoked as a result. Resident goon threads at least have some degree of trust-building and reputation to lean on.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

ungrouped taskbar items are much better but it does look weird because they didnt make the items a uniform length

Not only is it not a uniform length, it'll change when the window title changes (e.g. when loading a new browser tab) so every once in a while you'll get distracted by the entire task bar moving a bit.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Programmer Nwabudike Morgan posted:

RAM exists to be consumed. And consumed it will be, if not by this process then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright? None I say! Let us take what is ours, chew and eat our fill."

isndl
May 2, 2012

imperiusdamian posted:

Oh Carmack on a crutch. I am never buying another keyboard as long as I live. Right Ctrl is the Jump key for every FPS I play.

Are you one of those arrow key movement players? I didn't know there were any still around.

isndl
May 2, 2012

biznatchio posted:

I imagine arrow key movement is popular among lefties?

Numpad gets you way more keys in easy access, though.

isndl
May 2, 2012

GI Joe jobs posted:

This wiped out a custom proxy script on my work machine and I spent a day tracing it down.

Sure, but did it fix Windows?

isndl
May 2, 2012
Has anyone else noticed the DCOM process being pegged at 5-10% CPU utilization in the last week or so? Disabling Defender's real-time protection seems to end it. Quite annoying on a laptop since it's keeping the fans from spinning down.

isndl
May 2, 2012

DerekSmartymans posted:

I've got the weirdest problem with some (not all) of my Windows 11 programs. The text and icons, whether on buttons or in text fields, get "blurry" or "smeared out" a couple of seconds after opening up correctly. This doesn't happen with things like word processing or web pages/web text, butt mainly seems to show up in game launchers such as Steam or Epic Games launchers (and the new Eve Online launcher), as well as the new default Outlook. Usually you can move the mouse over the smeared text/icon and it will clear up to "readable" right away, but may fade back to blurry after a second or two. I recorded a short video with ShareX of my Outlook getting wonky and it shows the transitions quite well. This is Windows 11, all current updates, but has been happening for a while now and doesn't seem to be clearing up on its own!

Does your system have display scaling enabled? If so, try setting it to 100% to see if that changes anything.

isndl
May 2, 2012

biznatchio posted:

And not just errors, Windows displays status information on the boot splash screen in many instances as well (notably when installing updates, e.g., "Installing updates (50%)...") and all that is localized as well.

And the entire thing needs to scale to whatever resolution your pre-boot environment is running under.

This sounds like a lot of work. Why not just say "Something happened :("?

isndl
May 2, 2012
So far the only time the Start Menu has been notably bad for me in ~6mo of W11 is when it bugged out and nothing would happen when clicking the button. May have been related to Windows Update since the machine rebooted that night and the problem went away.

The lock screen is absolutely terrible though, it used to be you could slam the keyboard and start typing your password and it would work but now it needs a bit of time before it starts registering inputs. Worst of all it seems inconsistent with how much time it needs so I have to give it a full second before continuing.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Setting aside that it will get reinstalled the first time you install an app that needs it, filing it under "crapware" is a hell of a choice. What a sketchy application.

Is that modifying the system settings panel to add all that? The text looks like a stock Windows description and then suddenly there's "Bloatpilot" and "crapware".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012

nielsm posted:

I think the answer is, don't try to use a wireless headset with Windows, that doesn't have its own dedicated USB dongle.
But also, check if the headset manufacturer has any kind of control panel software.

I've run into issues with my dongle based headset too, kept getting number increments presumably because it was being plugged into different USB hubs at various times and then one of the three virtual devices disabled itself for no apparent reason.

Uninstall and reinstall is a good first step for any headset related issues, dongle or not.