Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I was going to say "Tell us you're an Apple fan without telling us you're an Apple fan."

Even Apple lets you move the dock to the side of the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I disabled the new Notepad because it has a propensity to crash randomly.

The old Notepad might be blindingly bright in a dark mode desktop, but at least it won't lose data.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

redeyes posted:

Are you on windows 11 because I had random crashing and programs closing all over the place.

Yes. I don't see random crashing and programs closing in traditional Win32 apps on Windows 11; and I don't run a lot of 'modern' stuff outside of what ships with the OS so I don't run any of it enough to see if it also has crashing problems -- but Notepad crashing is a headache I simply can't excuse. I've used Windows for 30 years and never had Notepad crash before Windows 11 outside of, say, trying to open enormous files with it.

And yeah, as mentioned, it doesn't even have the decency to tell you that it just crashed and lost your data; the window just disappears and a new, empty Notepad opens a moment later.

If I wasn't on an Alder Lake CPU, I wouldn't be using this pile of garbage OS.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Nobody other than people writing articles cares about whether the ODBC Data Sources configuration tool has an updated interface or not.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

nielsm posted:

Then there's Windows 10 too, but Microsoft kind of intended to stop making "major releases" as such after that

No they didn't; and there were several releases that would be categorized as "major" within Windows 10's lifespan, they were just called 'updates' instead for marketing reasons.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
If you're too delicate to open regedit to change a configuration value, you're exactly the sort of person who shouldn't be seeing system files in Explorer.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I don't understand why the option still being available in regedit isn't "Accessible" enough for people and that, of all the streamlining of the user interface Microsoft has done over the years, this is the one where some people decide to start crying foul.

The overlap of people who should be messing with system files and the people who don't know how to use regedit is approximately zero. Of *all* the features to remove from the friendly side of the UI and shove off into the regedit pile, 'Show protected operating system files' is right there at the top of the list of the most appropriate things to go.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If someone wants to put the OS into sport track mode and turn off traction control, they should be able to, especially if that's what they're used to in the first place.

Yeah I guess my point here is that for this feature, they're still able to. It's not even particularly difficult to and is well within the expected skillset of someone who'd actually need the feature in the first place, so I'm not exactly seeing what makes this change worthy of pages of lamentations about Accessibility and Transparency and This Is Why Kids These Days Don't Know Computers. Compared to other changes to Windows over the years, and Windows 11 in particular, this one has got to be up there as one of the least impactful changes imaginable.

It even lured out a "switch to Linux" discussion. And man, if you're upset about having to read some documentation online and go into regedit to enable a feature, you might want to sit down because I've got some bad news for you about running Linux as your daily driver.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Things I like about Windows 11:

* The subtle animations when windows open, minimize, maximize, or close; and on other little inconsequential actions.
* Windows remembering where they should go when DisplayPort monitors go to sleep and wake up
* The Settings app finally feels like a finished interface and not a half-assed attempt at porting half of Control Panel over
* Being able to run Android apps (and hack Google Play onto it) because Google won't loving finish the web interface for Google Home
* The UI's styling feels more consistent overall everywhere and less of a hodge-podge of the last 25 years of Windows history
* The emojis look less like rear end
* Proper support for big.LITTLE CPU scheduling

That's about it. The rest I'm pretty indifferent about, stuff that annoyed me when I first upgraded are things I just eventually got used to because it turned out they were mostly just matters of taste and familiarity with how things used to be.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Just embrace the inevitable and accept that the only UI toolkit in the future will be HTML.

And WinForms. Because nothing can kill WinForms.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

redeyes posted:

Well just look at the video. The idea the CPU is causing this is stupid.

Why is it "stupid" when the CPU is causing it (or at the very least, the mobo chipset)?

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 17, 2023

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

redeyes posted:

What evidence do we have of this?! How could it be possible that some minor increase in latency would cause Explorer to poo poo its pants so bad?

Just because some youtubers say so, with literally no evidence doesn't work for me. No, videos of their explorer lagging out is not proof.

I mean if you choose to ignore their DPC latency comparisons on identical software and drivers comparing between CPU generations, and you ignore their observation that disabling the CPU's E-cores has a drastic improvement (disabling CPU C-states also helps); then yeah I could see why you'd think they have "literally no evidence". It really helps in declaring there's no evidence when you just don't acknowledge any evidence.

If your CPU interrupt latency goes through the roof, you're going to see strange performance regressions in places you wouldn't expect to see them, while other operations are unaffected. It all boils down to whether what you're observing is sensitive to interrupt performance (for instance, I/O... but it's not like Explorer relies on I/O, right?).

Is it an issue with the CPU hardware or microcode? Very possibly. Is it an issue with a certain motherboard chipset? Also very possibly. Is it an issue with Windows drivers for either the CPU or the chipset? Also possible. But given that settings outside of Windows impact the performance, and that this issue isn't universal and seems to happen only in very specific hardware setups, then that very heavily suggests it's not Windows that's the problem and suspecting the CPU isn't at all a "stupid" conclusion since it's one of the two most likely suspects. But somehow it's not at all "stupid" for you to just point the finger at Windows 11, and actually doing so with "literally no evidence".

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 17, 2023

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Wouldn't be so bad if the file association interface in Settings wasn't a total disaster of modern UI making actually getting things done a chore.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

K8.0 posted:

Does anyone have a link to a good guide on how to de-gently caress OneDrive's bullshit? I want to stop %documents% from pointing to the OneDrive folder so I can be rid of it for good.

Right-click the My Documents library and go into properties. There’s an option in there to change the directory location.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Rinkles posted:

Ever since the latest update, Explorer takes a good 5 seconds to load the Home page.

Make sure you don't have any unavailable network locations in the quick access pane on the left. They'll block loading of the rest of an explorer window until they fail/timeout.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

wa27 posted:

Even Bing uses Chrome.

X (formerly Cralokestriө)

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I hate system-wide spellcheck so much I gave up on using computers entirely and took a job in construction because god help me no man or beast can make me go into Settings and toggle it off like a normal person.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

VostokProgram posted:

well that's the fun part, even an admin cmd or powershell couldn't delete it. the permissions were truly hosed up

Administrator doesn't necessarily have access to everything in the same sense that root just gets a free pass to everything on a Linux system; they're still bound by whatever the ACL on the resource is; and it's a very valid (and common) scenario for Administrator to not have access to certain files -- the simplest go-to example for why is that you don't want your IT admins having read access to payroll files. (As an additional fun fact: the 'Backup Administrators' group almost always has more access than Administrator does because in order to run backups of files, it does need read access to basically everything.)

What makes Administrator 'special' is that they almost always have the "Take ownership of files or other objects" security policy assigned to them; which gives them the ability to forcefully take ownership of any securable object regardless of whether they'd otherwise have access to do so or not. And then once they own the object they can give themselves full access by updating the ACL to grant themselves such access. So if you ever find yourself in a situation where your admin powershell prompt can't touch some files, the solution is very nearly always to take ownership of the files first, then grant yourself access, then do whatever you originally wanted to do.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I get angry when my computer uses the RAM I put in there to make my computing experience faster.

I've resorted to just keeping a pile of DIMMs on my desk so I never have to worry about running out of unused memory. If I ever feel stressed, I just look at the pile. It's right there.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

A friend and I were talking about this phenomenon recently. When Linux idles, it idles and doesn't do anything. When Windows idles, there's all kinds of bullshit running in the background that can make your computer chug even if it's a powerful system.

It's true, there's whole departments at Microsoft that absolutely hate letting the CPU go into idle state, so they're just constantly coming up with all kinds of bullshit to do instead. Sometimes I pop open Task Manager and there's a process running that Microsoft put there that's just sitting there creating animated GIFs of oranges rolling down stairs. Even on my powerful system, it just can't keep up with all the oranges it has to chug out. Nobody even sees the GIFs, but I feel a lot better at night knowing that they're there.

You better believe that Linux doesn't have any oranges.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

ziasquinn posted:

I read this as Windows sucks from biznatchio too

Not sure how you got that from my post. I specifically said I felt good about the oranges.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

ziasquinn posted:

the registry is evil and should be banished from existence, a unix file system is proper and good

The great part about using the file system for configuration is that every application's developers can express themselves by storing their configuration settings in their own unique way. It might be in an INI file for the oldster developers who are afraid of curly brackets. It might be in JSON for the hipster developers yearning for the day when everything is node. It might be in YAML for masochists. It could even be XML. It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get!

Only scurvy-hating squares want configuration in a centralized location in a standardized format. Where's your fuckin sense of adventure?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
12GB of ram ought to be enough for anybody

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Branch Nvidian posted:

Short of excising it via the registry, you can only disable copilot via a gpo, and according to a couple friends who manage enterprise deployments, it turns out that gpos are only supported on Enterprise and Education editions of Windows 11 as of 23H2. Windows 11 Home and Pro apparently just loving ignore gpo settings now. It's possible I've missed something or configured something wrong, but I cannot disable copilot without doing registry edits.

Fun fact: GPOs are just a basic UI system for editing the registry.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

nielsm posted:

Get the best of all worlds: Store your config in a REG_BINARY registry value that contains XML-wrapped YAML that, for the most part but not everywhere, is formatted to look like JSON.

A solid contender for configuring WSL 3

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
The reason the registry exists is because of COM. That’s why it’s called the registry, because it’s where COM registrations lived.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Hyper-V is a very solid hypervisor and is plenty capable of running Linux as a guest. What are you looking for specifically?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I imagine arrow key movement is popular among lefties?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Klyith posted:

if you put a truetype system into the kernel you can have errors in whatever non-ascii languages without needing to bitmap the whole of UTF-8

And not just errors, Windows displays status information on the boot splash screen in many instances as well (notably when installing updates, e.g., "Installing updates (50%)...") and all that is localized as well.

And the entire thing needs to scale to whatever resolution your pre-boot environment is running under.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
If there's a network drive in pinned/favorites section on the left bar of Explorer, that will make Explorer perform terribly whenever that network drive is unavailable or needs to be initially connected; because loading that bar's contents blocks the entire window until its complete.

Every time I've seen explorer start to crawl it's because a network share found its way into that list.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Forcing the update to 11 won't do a whole lot unless they also drop the secure boot requirement and relax their requirements on supported CPU lines. This isn't 2009 anymore where machines a decade old are hopelessly out of date and can be ignored; there are a lot of decade-old machines out there today that run just fine and nobody has any intention of upgrading and will continue to run Windows 10 because they just can't run Windows 11 with its current minimum requirements.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Those original 2013 laptop specs are still something that would be considered to be a useable entry-level machine today. It's absolute insanity for Microsoft to continue to put a "recent hardware only" bar on Windows 11 and dropping support for everything older because the personal computer space just doesn't work like that anymore.

The path forward Windows needs to be taking (and will probably pivot to sooner or later once they realize they've got a mess on their hands with lots of Windows 10 machines that can't upgrade to Windows 11 or 12 that they're going to be held responsible for in the public square if they stop providing security updates to) is to have a ongoing, supported core Windows that can run on basically anything Windows 10 can run on today and whose minimum requirements rise very slowly over progressive releases if at all ever so as to ensure they can run on 95% of the PCs actually being used out in the wild, and then have progressive feature enhancement editions that can optionally be stacked on top of it to unlock more capabilities for more capable hardware. And then individual software vendors can choose where on the ladder they want to/need to be able to run as a minimum requirement. Something like a Cyberpunk 2077 might say "Windows 13 Super Mega Edition required" because they need some of the advanced APIs only available in the top-level edition and/or they're not likely to even be able to run on old hardware anyway; while Chrome might say "Windows 13 Core Edition capable" because they want everyone in the world using Chrome no matter what.

The days of "the base OS needs more and more every release" are done. The time to transition to sustained baseline requirements is here.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
All of the individual parts of that chain of disaster make sense in isolation, they just add up to a whole that's pants-on-head stupid.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

CatHorse posted:

Tldr. Microsoft has started to turn windows store links into downloders/installers like download.com, sourceforge and every mallware site befire and since.

It's not malware. It's an installer that does the installation management stuff that the Windows Store app used to be required to do (handle prerequisites, additional downloads, etc.), so it removes a click from the install process because you no longer have to click the "Open Microsoft Store" dialog from your browser and you can just get (and keep) a download directly. Basically going from this:

to this:

No longer being dependent on the Microsoft Store app is a good thing.

If you're concerned about Microsoft authored code running on your system being malware, then you might be shocked to know that they're already inside the house and don't need to rely on installer programs to get your computer to run things.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Tiny Timbs posted:

Isn’t that what the checkbox is for? Having a Microsoft Store app link open Microsoft Store to install the Microsoft Store app seems like the better approach to me vs. downloading some installer.

I suspect what Microsoft is really after here is wanting to take power away from third-party browser configuration for how protocol handlers are handled (and blocked); but it's much nicer overall to have these downloads work like every other installer download you've ever worked with in your life.

The DLL hijacking issue with the current installer package is a very unfortunate mistake, but I'm sure it'll be fixed quickly given it's an enormous security problem.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Looks like the installer doesn't bundle any actual content about an app other than metadata; it fetches and downloads the full assets from the store at runtime. All of the installers are ~703KB.

They don't actually launch the Windows Store app to do the install, they host their own UI shown by the installer EXE's process itself; which is almost certainly just the same code that the Windows Store app itself uses to show the installer UI, just pulled out into a standalone executable -- though I doubt it's actually fully done within the EXE itself, it's probably calling to an API to show a system-provided installer window XAML island in-process.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 22, 2024

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

nielsm posted:

The biggest feature that got lost/killed in the Windows 11 Start menu that I'm missing is jumplists. I really love the workflow in Windows 10 of right-clicking an application icon and then selecting a recent file to open.
They still exist on pinned task bar icons so it's not like they are forgotten, entirely? But why are they missing in the Start menu.

If you search for a program using the Start menu, it'll show the jumplist.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

doctorfrog posted:

Ok, now I like this and you're gonna have to tell me how you did it.

A similar effect can be had in Photoshop really easily:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Korean Boomhauer posted:

here's a normal version:

Looks like an extreme closeup of Barney Gumble's stomach.