Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm not clear on where the Android apps are coming from - it sounds like it's from Amazon via the Windows Store. I avoid Amazon as much as possible, so if it requires something to do with them I'm a little less than thrilled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Apparently my mobo has a TPM connector, although I would have to have a drat compelling reason to switch to a new Windows version until it's been out a year or two.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MikusR posted:

That doesn't matter because your CPU is not supported.

It's a Ryzen 3600X so it's on the list anyway. I'd just never had a reason to look at TPM before.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The only time I've really run into Microsoft secure recovery stuff is on a Windows tablet I own that I basically don't use anymore, and after needing to repair Windows it needed a decryption key. I can't remember if Bitlocker was involved or not, but having the tablet tied to a Microsoft online account actually made it fairly simple if annoying - I log into that account on one computer, then type the decryption key on the tablet manually. It wasn't that bad, but I'm also a nerd with multiple computers and an understanding of this kind of stuff.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

that's as bad as when google made it so "reopen closed tab" no longer appears on tab right click menu, forcing you to mouse over to some empty space in the title bar first.

This was and is one of the stupider UI things they have done with Chrome. I've been shifting more and more of my browsing to Firefox because Chrome has gotten progressively worse over time.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DerekSmartymans posted:

Hell I thought the Windows key on a standard keyboard was just to open the start menu.

I actually use the “run” program a few times a day. When y’all said “Win+R” I had to see others and there is like a billion webpages on the shortcuts! How have I been online since before the www and never saw any of this? gently caress I’m older than DOS!

Windows key shortcuts are handy. I recently switched to a wireless keyboard that doesn't have a PrtScrn button, and found Win + Shift + S will launch Snip or whatever Windows 10 is calling their screenshot utility. I went ahead and bound the same thing for screenshots in Linux, and it's fine.

I also have a shortcut to Task Manager on my desktop.

I wonder if Windows is going to try to make it so you need to use Windows Hello or whatever the gently caress it is to take a screenshot for Windows 11.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Under accessibility/ease of access you can remap snip to prtscrn.

Powertoys has a feature that displays like every windows key command if you hold it for 2 seconds.

Keyboard shortcuts make me a wizard to zoomers and olds.

This keyboard simply doesn't have a PrtScrn key. Adopting the Windows key combo and then mapping the same thing in Linux was the lowest-effort solution.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I figured out this keyboard has function keys like a laptop and Fn + Insert also triggers PrtScrn. The tiny little icon looked like one of those useless Home buttons, but I guess it is supposed to be a camera. Having redundant hotkeys isn't a bad thing, though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've applied all updates, so I guess I'm stuck with it for the time being, until a future update theoretically unfucks it.

You might try doing a thorough disk cleanup in case it's something corrupted in a cache or the like.

Edit: I misread which thread I was in and thought it was the Windows 10 thread - the above might help, but since it's Windows 11 :shrug:

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 21, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

From what I've been reading the UI regressions, especially on the taskbar, are so bad that I'm going to avoid Windows 11 until they fix that or I have a really compelling reason to upgrade, like significantly better game performance. On my non-gaming machines I'll probably wait out or possibly skip it altogether, depending on what they end up doing with releases.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

redeyes posted:

Yeah The Windows GUI shouldn't be hosed with like this.. its another touch bullshit thing. Im getting to the point I might start wasting my time learning how to make a linux desktop system not suck.

I've used Linux as my daily driver for years, for various reasons. I pretty much only use Windows at work or for games - most of my the time my personal machines are booted into Linux. I've run dual-boots since the early 2000s, so I'm kind of used to it.

Forcing grouped icons on the desktop is absolutely loving insane, and would have a serious negative impact on my workflow, as well as increasing demand for tech support from my family. Just in the last month or so I had to help family with problems which would likely not have been a problem if it weren't for the default of grouping taskbar icons (and these family members tendency to run everything full screen).

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This sounds like something the Windows team might tell themselves, which would be hilarious since the negative feedback extremely pointed and specific. (hint: Don't make your desktop OS a touch OS with no options to make the mouse a first class input device).

Agreed. I also agree with the people above comparing this to a Windows 7 vs. 8 situation. Quit loving with the taskbar, Microsoft - Windows is a desktop OS.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't see why they couldn't have a toggle for desktop mode with a fully-functional taskbar and dumb mode where they can let out their weird touch-screen masturbatory impulses.

I have a limited sample size, but my Boomer mom uses both the touch-screen on her laptop and a mouse, for different things. And the loving grouped icons led her to have error windows hanging around behind full-screen browser windows which made her think she was getting an error every time she closed the browser. It is just so, so dumb to intentionally make a GUI worse, but Microsoft seems hellbent on doing it with every other release or so.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I like Windows 11 so far and I'm not sure what people mean about it being mouse unfriendly? I haven't had a chance to use touch yet, so far it's just replaced 10 for me and works absolutely fine in that regard.

I especially don't get this. Hasn't Windows had grouped icons since at least 7? I haven't noticed any different behaviour there in 11.

You can turn off the grouping in windows 10. I want a taskbar entry for every open window, not just the app shortcut being bolded. I think it's dumb grouping is the default in windows 10, and aghast that it is the ONLY option currently in win 11.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Snow Fire posted:

As for the grouped icons, maybe he uses the never combine option, so instead of grouped icons, they are separate entities on the taskbar with labels, which is much more efficient and better than grouped icons in my opinion. Though with Windows 11, grouped icons is the only option, they removed the option to not combine~

Yes, this.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Klyith posted:

New, centered start menu is either close to a centered start button that's also a moving target, or far away from a left-side start button

Start menu puts the top of the pinned list (which is where you'd naturally put your most favored links, from a top-down reading attention pattern) the farthest away from the start button, and puts their "recommended" junk (which will no doubt have ads later on) between the mouse and where you're going.

The way to see your complete app list is hitting a tiny button, after which you get a flat alphabetical list. Goodbye categorical organization. Who cares, it's not like hierarchical folders are some important principle of computers!

No task bar placement, no useful context menu on taskbar (it's a huge target surface, empty taskbar space is now useless)

Popup menus are huge for touch-centric interaction or at the very least super-high DPI screens

Removal of text on many interactive buttons favor of textless, uniform-size icons

Some people take longer to adapt than others. :shrug:

(OTOH I don't know what browser his mom is using that still generates separate error messages underneath normal windows. Chrome & FF both put javascript message boxes and errors related to web content inside the tab they're generated by, and general error messages that make an actual windows dialog box should be on-top.)

They were defunct Google windows generating a 404, and since they were separate windows would only show up in the taskbar if you hovered over the launch icon thanks to the idiot grouping.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

beuges posted:

Because MS would have to spend a lot of time and money and resources to maintain 5 different UIs. Which will have one or more of the following outcomes:
- people will complain that they are spending time maintaining a Win98 ui when Explorer still doesn’t have tabs/Task Manager still doesn’t have dark mode/The volume control Popup still doesn’t have rounded corners/whatever
- people will complain that the Windows 98 UI doesn’t support all of the fancy new features that are available in the Win11 UI despite those features not existing in win98
- MS will not pay as much attention to the Win98 UI and it will break in strange ways and people will get mad that their 23 year old interface is not working as they want it to
- MS will complain that maintaining support for the Win98 ui is preventing them from implementing new features and functionality that they need to implement, so they are dropping support for the old ui.

Maintaining software uses a lot of resources and costs a lot of money. That’s why MS made win10 free (and used some dodgy practices to try and force as many people on to it as possible) - it was all to get people off older versions and onto the current one, so they don’t have to spend as much time maintaining older versions of Windows. Maintaining multiple versions of Windows is effort enough, trying to make sure that multiple versions of the UI can coexist on the same code base is extremely challenging - every change you make has to now be assessed for how it will impact 5 different shells instead of just making sure it works on the current one, which leads to either
- things not getting implemented for fear of unknown side effects,
- things taking 10x as long to implement because of all the refactoring that’s needed to ensure that all of the coexisting versions aren’t negatively impacted, or
- things being done in convoluted and fragile ways to try and work around the intricacies of each of the versions that need to coexist, resulting in more instability and bugs

At some point you need to decide if it’s really that important to cling to a ui that’s decades old, or to try to adapt to things that may not be as big a deal as you expect.

Counterpoint: Designing a desktop OS as though it were intended to be run on tablets is bad and dumb.

I want my taskbar to show me open windows, not highlight the launcher for the program I am using. This is not a big ask.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

codo27 posted:

Just to be clear I'm onboard for win98 UI (even though my first pc was 2001 so XP) but I can see why they aren't going out of their way to cater to crusty old goons like us

I'd be happy if they just maintained core functionality and didn't remove things that are important to my workflow.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

Grouped taskbar icons have been the default since windows 7, I’d be stunned if more than 5-10% of people were still using old style ungrouped or text labels still.

Hiding extensions of known file types has been the default for at least that long - still doesn't mean it's a good idea or that users shouldn't be able to toggle it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

:lol:

*Microsoft sees Cyberpunk 2077 release go horribly wrong*

Microsoft Windows 11 team: "Hold my beer."

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Unless I somehow get a 10 fps boost in games or something from Windows 11 then I'm not seeing much of a reason to change from 10. The Android app support could be cool, but that's not ready yet anyway, so I'm kind of getting a whiff of a repeat of Windows 8 being quickly followed by Windows 8.1 to fix their stupid fuckups and UI regressions.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BrainDance posted:

I did like the gif keyboard thing, I miss that.

Were other Windows beta periods this fast? I swear I remember them going by a lot slower, with a lot of builds in between.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

:lol:

*Microsoft sees Cyberpunk 2077 release go horribly wrong*

Microsoft Windows 11 team: "Hold my beer."

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The desktop I built in 2011 around a Phenom II 965 BE is still running and performing fine, under both Windows 10 and Linux. It can't keep up in games anymore and is missing some CPU instruction sets, but for 99% of use cases it is still fine.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

That’s what I mean. Often they’re still capable machines, but we can have good reasons for getting replacements. But what do you do with the old one, if you don’t need two desktops?

There are often computer refurbishers/recyclers who can make good use of them, but you're right that's not an option everywhere. I keep mine around because I'm fond of it and still make use of it, but I'm also a nerd and have a stockpile of equipment just in case.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hungry Computer posted:

The CPU limitation is a legit worry for my work. It's a public school in Alberta, which is has basically no funding due to conservative governments cutting our budget by a few % nearly every year for last couple decades. At this point we only replace PCs if the cost of replacing is lower than the cost of repair. By 2025 >50% of our machines probably won't have a supported CPU. That leaves us with either forcing Win11 to run on unsupported hardware, or switching half our machines to Win10 LTSC 2019.

I feel like Microsoft is staggering around weirdly and relying too much on institutional inertia while different branches of the company set up a situation that is not good for the company as a whole.

The OS guys release an intrusive dumbed-down Mac-like respin of Windows 10 and there is a lot of hemming and hawing about what systems will support it, or systems where you can install it but it won't update, and so and on so forth.

Meanwhile the Office team is pushing hard for web-based versions of everything that work independent of OS, making a local install increasingly superfluous. The Edge team is working to make it handle PDFs as capably as Adobe Reader, like decent fill and sign options. Office and Adobe are two of the things keeping me on Windows for work, and if I could reliably work on .docx and fillable PDFs in a browser then most of those reasons go away. I think my office is still running the local network on Windows Server, but I'm not sure how dependent we are on it. Other departments may have some more proprietary Windows-based stuff than mine, but I'm guessing it could be virtualized if needed.

More than 90% of my own workflow is fine using a Linux desktop instead of Windows. Hell, I'm currently running the Linux Edge beta and it's perfectly fine.

The main reason I ever run Windows on my personal machines is for gaming, and if that continues to reach parity on the Linux side then I really won't have any need for Windows except maybe as a backup OS or for niche purposes.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't get these claims about webifiying Office. The current web versions are a clusterfuck, IMO, and the rumor about "rewriting Office" really just pertain to Outlook.

I feel like this demands an obligatory "old man yells at cloud" joke.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Here's my hot take: gently caress the web as universal solution to everything and their mom.

I don't fully disagree with you, but I see it more as a case-by-case kind of thing. Like once webmail matured the idea of running a dedicated email client became anathema to me. Pre-pandemic I still made some use of Outlook on the desktop, but at this point I am so used to Outlook on the web that I will actively avoid the local version. I haven't run an email client on my own machines except for archival purposes since no later than 2005, because it is pointless and superfluous to me.

I do install office suites on my machines, but left to my own devices it's going to be Libre Office. I only use MS Office under protest, and have done so for even longer than I've used exclusively webmail.

I'm fine with digital delivery of games, but don't like the idea of not having local installs.

poo poo, I don't even like streaming music - I rely on my library of mp3s for that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've run dual-boots back to the early 2000s, with Mandrake Linux starting off as my go-to. Over the years the balance of time shifted more and more to the Linux side of the dual-boot for me, but still having to use Windows when I'm at the office or using my work laptop. Like I said, I don't have to run much in the way of proprietary software, and have been too lazy to find workarounds for the few things that I do.

I don't hate Windows, and never have, but Microsoft has been really good at loving up the user experience over time. I do generally dislike Office, and I think the last version that I didn't detest was Office XP. Removing or hiding options is not something I take well, nor is being "helpful" in ways that end up with me fighting the program to make it do what I want instead of what it thinks I want. So far what I hear about Windows 11 sounds like a lot of the same kind of misguided approach - remove options, limit choices, force things on the user.

If they don't unfuck Windows 11 I'll probably avoid it or just view it as specifically for gaming. I can't imagine work updating to 11 - we only went to 10 about 2 years ago.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Heran Bago posted:

Love the extra spacing between elements for touch screen use. It makes the whole thing so much more manageable for small operations with fingers. Stylus usage for precision is less of a requirement now. Odd that it's on by default in desktop mode but whatever.

I've adjusted to the top bar that no longer has tabs or ribbon menus. Kind of neutral on it at this point. Again lots of room for touch, but things don't have to be so tucked away.

Ugggggggggghhhhhhhh. I am using a mouse, Microsoft - stop pretending you're a phone OS.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've been reading more bad reviews of Windows 11, and today found out they apparently also removed the option to use small icons on the taskbar or resize it, which is another huge reason for me to avoid it. You're going to force huge icons on the taskbar and make lose screen real estate for no loving reason? Really? One of the first things I do on a fresh Windows 10 install, if not the first, is to set the taskbar to use small icons.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

I think going from The Motion Picture to Nemesis I'd suggest the star trek movies were:

good-decent-decent-good-godawful-good-good-decent-good-borderline bad

If you put Wrath of Khan below The Motion Picture then I question your judgement.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

codo27 posted:

Something that isn't being talked about enough is software updates. I'm so tired of opening up programs like qbittorrent or da vinci resolve to find theres an update (like a fuckin 2gb one in the case of the latter). I know its not that easy when it comes to win32 apps but god drat it they ought have a baked in way by now for devs to get their updates taken care of with windows update or whatever.

They've been working on a Windows package manager for a while, and it has been usable for a while, too. I haven't tried it, but it is a thing.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/package-manager/

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Let me know when they unfuck the taskbar.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If you're running a recent spin of Windows 10 you can turn on all the security doodads that Windows 11 requires, which I would think would be a good indicator of the machine also being able to run Windows 11. I went through this week and turned on all the enhanced security stuff on my work laptop, and it just took manually removing some old drivers which were blocking the memory isolation feature.

My personal desktop would definitely run it, but I don't have all the extra security turned on because I would have to do some minor work to make my Linux install use secure boot properly and :effort: (the Nvidia drivers won't load unless I mess with the keys, leaving me with crap video output).

This was largely a theoretical exercise for me since I feel no reason to go to Windows 11, especially if they haven't fixed the taskbar yet.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hooah posted:

Not sure if this has come up, but apparently there's an easy way to make the start button and open program icons left-aligned.

If I have to do a registry edit to have small taskbar icons then I don't consider it fixed.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I know it might be conspiracy theory adjacent, but the idea that Microsoft was planning a surge in revenue from 10X and slapped 11 together to try to salvage some of that revenue makes a great deal of sense.

What I have learned of Windows 11 so far has been bad enough I haven't even bothered to try it in a VM, much less consider installing it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Windows 11: Making you run MacOS on a Steam Deck

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I just realized the one device I own that I might be willing to try Windows 11 on is an old Toshiba tablet that I upgraded from 8 to 10 a couple years ago, but it's got an Atom processor and almost assuredly doesn't meet specs for Win 11.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Krakkles posted:

Is there a way to change the width of taskbar ... buttons? Window labels? I'm not sure what to call them, to be honest, because everything I've tried has resulted in suggestions about icons, which isn't what I'm looking for. Ever since a recent update, windows has been making the ... whatever this is ... considerably wider than it should be/ever was before. I have a widescreen monitor and these things are 7 freakin' inches wide. They do eventually start getting smaller at 4+ windows open, but it's really weird. In case it's not totally obvious, the arrows are at the edges of the (label?) for one window.

I don't mean to be insensitive, but this is hilarious. From what I've seen it is truly impressive how badly Microsoft mangled the taskbar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Wiltsghost posted:

That's windows 10

Ah, well at this point if I see something terrible in a screenshot of the taskbar, especially in this thread, I assume it's Windows 11.