Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I have an interesting problem on my hands.

I got a Windows 10 installation, with product key, through Microsoft's student program. I installed it on an air-gapped computer, and never actually bothered to activate it (because, y'know, air-gapped). It turns out W10 never actually complains about activation if it is never connected to the Internet.

Flash forward ~5 years.

Now, I would like to install Windows in Parallels Desktop on my M1 MacBook. I fished out the W10 product key with regedit* and entered it into Windows 11, with intent to use it as an upgrade... and it rejected it, with the dread Error 0x803FA067.

Now what? I do not particularly want to give Microsoft $250.

*I don't know if it's the same product key as I got originally, but it may be quite some time before I can find the install disc I burned again to know for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Internet Explorer posted:

There's some goons who sell Windows keys in SA-Mart for quite cheap. I've used them successfully in the past. Not an endorsement, etc., etc.

I tried him. It worked great! Win11's now activated.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Now that I’m up and running, can someone recommend a debloater/antitelemetry suite for W11 that will work on ARM? A friend recommended WinAero Tweaker, but it’s Intel only.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MikusR posted:

Winaero Tweaker should work on arm.

I tried it. It refused to run, with a dialog box specifically citing being compiled for either x86 or x64 architectures.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What's the thing about KDE that has always annoyed me. Something about copy/paste?

VostokProgram posted:

I can't get over everything starting with a k and konsole is just really ugly

Kopy/Paste?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

More then anything in the land of software, I want WinUI to go the gently caress away and for WPF to just be the defacto, supported way you build apps in WIndows.

I got my wish once with the death of UWP. I'm asking for another miracle.

What, not banking everything on .NET MAUI? :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So I'm building a new machine for gaming and was thinking of going with Windows 11 this time. However, I really don't want to have to use a Microsoft account at all. I've been reading Microsoft has been doing everything possible to make it hard to impossible to use a local account. How tricky is it to do on a basic new setup of Windows 11 Home? Is it still possible? Or do I have to shell out for Pro for that?

It looks like it isn't that hard:

https://techbit.ca/2022/12/setup-windows-11-home-with-a-local-user-account/

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ihmemies posted:

Something is force toggling DND mode on. If I disable DND mode, it gets retoggled to on automatically, loving up notifications. How do I prevent anything from adjusting DND settings? I don't want it to EVER be on.

E: wtf:

That usually means a group policy is affecting it. Check in the group policy editor?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

8-Bit Dracula posted:

I've just built a computer, installed Windows 11 and all necessary drivers and downloaded games, software etc.
In the install process I used my old key (which wasn't declined although I realize I wasn't actually connected to the internet) which was a Windows 10 Education key. Later in the installation, this was declined and my Windows is now unactivated.

I'll buy a license from some place since I'm no longer at the university (DigitalChillMart is legit and sells retail-keys afaik?) but it seems a downgrade from Windows Education to either Pro or Home isn't possible without a fresh install? I'd much rather not have to go through the entire process of setting up a new computer again.

Any advice on activating a Windows Education installation with another license? Googling the issue gives somewhat complex solutions and "hacks".

This fellow sells Windows keys to goons for cheap, and responds quick fast. I can attest to getting a Windows 11 Pro key for $20 in a few minutes. That might be the simplest way to sort it out.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Really? I got my Win11 key from this guy and everything went fine.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Last Chance posted:

Immutable windows when?

I mean, macOS added the Sealed System Volume thing years ago…

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

VostokProgram posted:

lol they should just make this a registry key so everyone can set whatever word they're most comfortable with

I'll change it to say "Doki doki" :j:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Obviously arrow keys on right hand (for movement) and ZXCV on left hand (for actions) is the ideal control scheme. :smuggo:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Recently, my job gave me a new (Dell Precision) laptop, running W11. It mostly works fine except: I was in the habit of leaving my old laptop (W10) asleep overnight.

If I try that with my new one, it won't start in the morning - the power button starts something in there but won't fully wake it up, and I have to hard shutdown it before starting again.

What do?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is Dell Optimizer installed on it by any chance? If it is, uninstall it and see if that resolves the issue. Dell Optimizer is notorious for causing all sorts of issues.

Yes, it came with the computer, I think.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Upon inspection, Dell Optimizer is disabled in every aspect already except fan speed management. Will an uninstall help?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Got it. What do you recommend I do for fan speed management instead?

(Preferably, whatever it is doesn't need an extra installation. I don't want to have to bother my IT department if I don't have to - they're pretty busy.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

OK, confirmed that the fan settings are replicated in the BIOS and uninstalled Dell Optimizer (it didn't even need an admin password).

Will test overnight tonight.

EDIT: it took a LONG time to restart post-uninstall.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 6, 2024

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

...yeah, I think I'll stick with setting it in the BIOS. Thank you for the suggestions, though.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The computer still won't wake up after sleeping a while, despite Dell Optimizer being long gone. Might try chipset or BIOS updates. If that doesn't work, it's a formal ticket with IT.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Could be. Either issue - especially hardware issues - is firmly IT territory, seeing as this is my work laptop (and it's also a brand-new Dell Precision, to boot).

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

down1nit posted:

A driver update is firmly within your control, as is a bios update, as long as IT haven't locked you out of running as Administrator. If you need some step by step we'd be happy to help

I work as a developer, fortunately - I do have local admin for reasons, though I'm only supposed to use it for those specific reasons.

I think the Dell Command updater program that installs the BIOS update might not require admin to use, interestingly enough. I'll try that next.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Celexi posted:

dell commander wont update the bios if the bios is locked down and you don't have the password

Good to know.

I will update you when I have new developments.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The BIOS Update was successful. I'll check its overnight sleep performance next week.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

down1nit posted:

Nice! Any chipset updates come in? Any goons from IT arrest you yet?

Ask me on Monday. :tgif:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

it's just waifu2x

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The BIOS update appears to have fixed the sleep issue.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

https://lodgenorth.com/

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Vic posted:

No irony here: I want windows to just work for people with zero prior experience with windows.

The grognards and industrial legacy support is the reason we're suffering

So you want Windows to be more like macOS? :smuggo:

edit: oh my god what a snipe :69snypa:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Branch Nvidian posted:

How the gently caress?

All-in-one computers.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

~Coxy posted:

This is genius.
(although it does seem to defeat the purpose of having multiple factors, not that I really care)

I mean, the additional 'factor' is still having access to the computing device, right? So if they pilfer your password (i.e. from a breach), they would also have to get your authenticator secret out of your phone or computer.

It won't help if your computer is attacked specifically, but it makes things a lot less risky if a cloud service got breached instead.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

~Coxy posted:

Yeah, that's true.

Although the point is moot since MS have already removed the Android Appstore from the Windows Store.

KeePass has an option to store 2FA codes. Other password managers do as well though I recommend against using a cloud-connected one in this case for obvious reasons.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Basically, every other major Windows version is good.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

imma still call bing 'bung'

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I mean, I would still pay an eye-watering amount of money for a license to a version of Windows that Doesn't Suck™.

And I'd pay an extra $5 for a key from Lodge North. :getin:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cross-Section posted:

One day they’ll implement an “Update and Shutdown” button that actually does what it says instead of updating and… restarting.

One day.

I just want to note that this worked properly in Windows 10.

Somewhat unrelatedly, I have switched my computer from 'Fast Startup' (i.e. pseudo-hibernate on Shutdown) to actual shutdowns after one power management mishap too many.

(A computer that you can't start is one thing. A computer that won't shut down, rebooting if forced, is worse.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Koskun posted:

Can you defer MacOS updates? I know it won't update past a certain point if the system is "too old" or the like, however it does pretty much force updates on the user right?

You can. Indefinitely. It can get annoying but it won’t force you.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Thanks Ants posted:

Why wouldn't you do the DSP thing in firmware :psyduck:

Apple thinks they know best.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

down1nit posted:

I'd love to be in a world where we could do hardware mods to systems still to bypass drm.

Imagine wiring a resistor between pin 1103 and +5v to enable universal offline mode...

I mean, that's arguably the state of the game console world right now. Hardmod the machine to let you modify the OS, then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I just wish you could drag a file onto an app's icon to open it like you can in macOS.