Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Everyone with old hardware is going to end up running Windows 11 in a vm with gpu passthrough just to emulate, tpm, secureboot, uefi and cpu-id.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Has microsoft even said why they need all this security stuff, besides making sure you are booting genuine windows are they adding drive encryption out of the box like apple?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

If people haven't realized this new virtualized security bs is perfect for creating a DRM platform that is uncrackable. Imagine porting a game from Xbox to pc. Now you can be assured those dirty pirates arn't going to hack your game and throw it on piratebay.

That is true, it also means working anti-cheat so there can be real benefits. I think microsoft is more concerned about corporate users, windows is the official crypto locker OS.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

Actually Im honestly questioning whether somehow people know more than what MS themselves publish AND with literally no history to know. I remain skeptical until proven wrong.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Microsoft also said free upgrades from 7 to 10 would on July 29, 2016, yet it still works today.

Even if windows update stopped working I doubt they would block downloading and installing the monthly cumulative update manually.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
As far as I can tell win11 is win10 for activations.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If they actually did HCI testing and published white papers documenting how the changes were measurably better I'd begrudgingly accept it, but they don't.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I have some smart lights and would get more stuff, but I'd only go with stuff that has strong encryption and works without the internet so only apple homekit, open source or industrial.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
They are just leaving the door open to resetting it under the cover of fixing a bug.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The only thing that’s really different is that the start menu is stuck in baby mode.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Another good way to install windows 11 is to use the enterprise trial, you can make a local account with hacks, the start menu is devoid of 3rd party apps and you can change it to pro after install.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure the cheap keys are for poor counties. It’s not possible for Microsoft to enforce region checks with vpns and people legitimately moving between counties, also they don’t care because they pivoted to adware.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I see your :spergin: and raise. I install proxmox on a seperate nvme, then create a vm for windows using pcie passthough for its nvme and then reboot bare metal into windows with all my other drives untouched.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

SpaceDrake posted:

So as far as removing bloatware from a new Win11 install goes, is this blogpost still largely accurate? Are there more elegant ways to do it at this point, or is it still largely down to using PowerShell to cleanse with fire?

Something I discovered that I haven't seen anywhere else. There is almost no bloatware if you install Enterprise then convert to Pro.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Where does one get the Enterprise ISO and how does one convert to Pro?

Use the windows media creation tool to make an iso.
mediacreationtool.exe /Eula Accept /Retail /MediaArch x64 /MediaLangCode en-US /MediaEdition Enterprise

Enter the win 11 enterprise kms key NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43 when prompted, its posted on microsoft.com

After install go to activation and change your product key, it should change it to Pro* I haven't actually done this with a retail key, just kms.

This also has the side benefit of bypassing the microsoft account.
Screenshot of an of an test install I just did:

edit fix screnshot

Perplx fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 29, 2023

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Whoops I was in a hurry, windows 11 works the same, even uses the same key.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress your muscle memory, talk to the ai if you want switch windows

Edit: thought this was yospos, I’m keeping it up still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

A friend and I were talking about this phenomenon recently. When Linux idles, it idles and doesn't do anything. When Windows idles, there's all kinds of bullshit running in the background that can make your computer chug even if it's a powerful system.

Remember when some guy sped up gta online loading by 70% because he found the it was loading a 10MB json file and parsing and deduping it using the slowest algorithms imaginable. I'm pretty sure that's what windows is doing all the time with the registry.