Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I got my new computer in March. It did not pass the health check :bang: .

I’m not (too) upset, I don’t secure boot but I do know where and how in the BIOS to enable it. I already am in UEFI mode.

Where in general do you find or enable the TPM (1.2 or 2.0) in the BIOS? If sure I have it available to me simply from having all brand new parts and hardware, so I just (naively?) think it should be available unless there is a new trick through software to activate the function from the Win10 desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Thanks! I know it’s early, but I also went a bit nuts getting a new GPU so all I can see is some piece of tiny hardware that scalpers will buy up. I’m not too worried though: I’m sure I can find one (if it’s even needed by then) before Win10’s stated EoL :pram:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

codo27 posted:

Man what was the name of that program I think I got on a PC gamer cd 100 years ago that transformed your desktop into an actual 3D space station looking room that you could walk around and interact with the icons and junk in a totally superfluous way

I had a TotL Packard Bell from Sears in 1997 as a gift from my wife’s mom, and it had a program (not a drat “app”) that was a 3D trip around a house that was really slick the way you could find and utilize the different parts of a room to do stuff on the screen. Space Ship version sounds baller AF so I look forward to seeing it, too!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kreeblah posted:

That would have been a later version of Packard Bell Navigtor. Dunno about this space ship thing. That sounds interesting.

That was it! 128Mb RAM and 56K v.90 modem in a ISA (pretty sure) slot. I might still have the modem, and a separate later model PCI-slot 1st gen discrete gpu in a box, too!

Also, the comments on that YouTube link say there are precursor “skins” AND “themes” in the options and one is sci-fi themed.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

hooah posted:

Ctrl+shift+esc has been how I open Task Manager since that shortcut became a thing.

Does CTRL+ALT+DEL not work anymore? I’ve used it from Win3.11. Win11 has some really non-Windows UI changes that if I wanted it to be a Mac I would’ve bought a Goddamn Mac.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Buff Hardback posted:

ctrl+alt+delete always works, ctrl+shift+esc isn't a hardware interrupt so if your PC is really locked up it might not open task manager

Thanks, man. I didn’t know why it worked, just that until a very short time ago, it was the only way to bring up TM. Now (Win10) I can right-click the taskbar and it’s an option, but I got a bit worried for about ten minutes that I shouldn’t do it anymore because I could damage something.
Hell I didn’t know about WIN+R until last week.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

hooah posted:

Sort of. It brings up a screen where you can choose task manager, lock, sign out, or switch user, but ctrl+shift+esc directly opens the task manager.

Ok. To be honest I’ve never in 46 years “needed” to bring up TM as quickly as that! I thought adding a mouse click on the task bar was clever. All my DOS cmd voodoo jumped ship during Win98. And of course the keyboard shortcuts went with it :ssh:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Hell I thought the Windows key on a standard keyboard was just to open the start menu.

I actually use the “run” program a few times a day. When y’all said “Win+R” I had to see others and there is like a billion webpages on the shortcuts! How have I been online since before the www and never saw any of this? gently caress I’m older than DOS!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

FuzzySlippers posted:

wasn't there a new feature that let you assign different 'desktops' to different monitors? That would allow some useful differences from a normal multi screen setup. It's hard to google since desktop is such a common word.

My 8yr old laptop has a TPM chip but I’ve never dealt will a Dell for BIOS. I upgraded from a 2013 to 2021 BIOS, and finding the TPM switch to “On” with no problem. I’ve never seen a BIOS like this, and I don’t understand where an equivalent to “Secure Boot” is located, or if it’s just called something different on Dell’s part because it’s not in the Boot option or Security tab, either.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

redeyes posted:

The guy that wrote taskmanager back in the day is on youtube and describes how it works. Im not entirely positive but I think it hooks into the Kernel itself with CTRL ALT DEL.
[edit] Dave's Garage

I love Dave’s Garage because of his age and experience forming his answers. He not only was a programmer and hardware guy, but was a bigger cog in development than some others. Even if Microsoft burned down today and the entire company failed to ever deliver a single new product, it would still be worthwhile knowledge for existing systems because of the sheer amount of Microsoft products that exist today in August 2021!

Most of his vids on YouTube are 15+minutes long, but since my home finally got a connection broad and fast enough for WiFi, I watch some longer ones that are q&a from n00bs (me) to professional coders and IT folks. Even answers questions I would not have known to ask, but are useful cases to learn about.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Hungry Computer posted:

Not officially, but if you really want it I'm sure people will find a way around the install restrictions fairly quickly. It only took a couple hours for people to bypass it on the initial leaked preview build.

Don’t forget (discussed in the GPU thread) the crypto currency’s breaking some of the hardware/software by Nvidia meant to restrict hashing schemes so their long term (and loyal) users would not desert them over the supply problems of 2020 and beyond!
Some things must be done a certain way down to the molecular level that hasn’t been changed because that’s just the best way to work at all, like breaking codes between English speakers still have to follow English grammar, alphabet, and punctuation to be legible to the recipient. There are billions of ways a computer can crack a code, but if your code between English speakers comes out in plain Swahili text, the intended reader won’t understand it anyway. Networks and hardware/software, for general use, has to follow rules for their own engineers and employees, and smart people can usually unwind it with big brain(s) and focus/time/incentives.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I understand they want to upgrade and change things in the default WinX GUI, and I like some things promattically with Win11.

What kills me isn’t even having hardware requirements I had to look up before understanding what they even were, but I think that the GUI devs (who have direct, proprietary access to Windows’ code) won’t stop loving around trying to make an interface that not only looks like a completely cloned competitor’s GUI but won’t allow you to use or even try to build your own FrankinGUI from Win3.1 through Win11! If I could click a “Theme” button to change colors and cursors, why can’t I have “remastered GUI” button to run a Win98 SE style GUI? Tinkering with settings for computer nerds is almost as popular as for gaming nerds (lots of overlap). I spent the first hour of Natalia: Bladepoint playing pretty pretty princess with my avatar’s face and hair and went to bed having not even learned how to play or looking/adjusting keybinds!

Change is fine, do all you want. Don’t force me into a “touch” interface with my mouse-forward desktop, and give me a way to customize my own UI with old “skinning Windows Media Player” technology.

Ninja edit:

tildes posted:

Power toys works well for me, but I also don’t use visual studio so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Completely off topic, so will be brief: Cleaned room/closet, found over 150 software CDs, old game CDs, and a bunch of cdrw of .mp3s (from Napster). Among this, I found a VB6 non-pirated collection I used to make a BattleTech ProtoMech builder small enough to fit on a 1.44” floppy if zipped. Would it be possible to run it on a Win10 Pro/Win11 Pro without a lot of trouble? VB6 is the only language I am solid on, although I have a tiny bit of proficiency w/C & C++ for waaaaay old genetics-type scientific software. If there is an easier language (C#?) to learn for a hobby (so Free!), and dip my toes into UE4/5, any recommendations?
Appreciate comments or flames 🔥 :allears:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

nielsm posted:

Yes Visual Basic 6 is 32 bit so it should be able to run on all recent Windows versions too.
But seriously consider getting the free Visual Studio Community Edition if you want to write new things. It supports C#, Visual Basic.NET, C++, and a ton of other languages, and also various game engines and more.

(Windows NT 3.51 from 1994 has 32 bit versions of Paintbrush and Write, those EXE files run without any fixes on 64 bit Windows 10.)

Awesome! I’m 100% not coming at this as anything but a random hobby, but I still have some VB6 “teach yourself VB6 in 6 toilet breaks a day” books that helped me look stuff up before the vast sections of the online tutorials/videos were available, and FREE to access! I downloaded UE4 & 5 overnight after a couple of videos on YouTube just looked fuggin’ great on my computer, especially the few that some dude recreated World of Warcraft in UE5. I saw those graphics for 15 years, and the upgrade from the retail background to the “remastered” version was incredibly lifelike. All the add-alongs like blender and others are available, and if you have lots of time alone building a short movie or (very) simple 1p game looks like fun.

I saw a guy create a server and an MMORPG in 8 hours using Unity with 0 coding. It was using all-free software, too, and the “gameplay” was gorgeous even on YouTube. Maybe those thousands of pages I wrote over the last 35 years could be a game or animated movie short. Or a fun screenshot green screen :allears:

Edit: How long/what size is the Win11 install? I want to try it on my older (i5, GTX 970) system that qualifies instead of my bought-in -April main (don’t want to risk my games/software including programs downloaded in 2014 on to futz a drive or corrupt a hardware driver until it’s a reliable version). I ain’t as worried about my old machine. Yes, they are backed up offline, but the time to install 800 Gb of 500 to 700 small programs individually is maddening even though I at least won’t have to re-download them.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 30, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

beuges posted:

Because MS would have to spend a lot of time and money and resources to maintain 5 different UIs. Which will have one or more of the following outcomes:
- people will complain that they are spending time maintaining a Win98 ui when Explorer still doesn’t have tabs/Task Manager still doesn’t have dark mode/The volume control Popup still doesn’t have rounded corners/whatever
- people will complain that the Windows 98 UI doesn’t support all of the fancy new features that are available in the Win11 UI despite those features not existing in win98
- MS will not pay as much attention to the Win98 UI and it will break in strange ways and people will get mad that their 23 year old interface is not working as they want it to
- MS will complain that maintaining support for the Win98 ui is preventing them from implementing new features and functionality that they need to implement, so they are dropping support for the old ui.

Maintaining software uses a lot of resources and costs a lot of money. That’s why MS made win10 free (and used some dodgy practices to try and force as many people on to it as possible) - it was all to get people off older versions and onto the current one, so they don’t have to spend as much time maintaining older versions of Windows. Maintaining multiple versions of Windows is effort enough, trying to make sure that multiple versions of the UI can coexist on the same code base is extremely challenging - every change you make has to now be assessed for how it will impact 5 different shells instead of just making sure it works on the current one, which leads to either
- things not getting implemented for fear of unknown side effects,
- things taking 10x as long to implement because of all the refactoring that’s needed to ensure that all of the coexisting versions aren’t negatively impacted, or
- things being done in convoluted and fragile ways to try and work around the intricacies of each of the versions that need to coexist, resulting in more instability and bugs

At some point you need to decide if it’s really that important to cling to a ui that’s decades old, or to try to adapt to things that may not be as big a deal as you expect.

You are absolutely correct. I have been spoiled by a decade of World of Warcraft addons and og Skyrim mods. I’m not a programmer or graphic artist, and obviously don’t “need” the Win98 UI. I’m really interested now in the UI process works, and I know I won’t be forced to upgrade for a few years. Is there a reason (copyright, unable to repair on older systems, UI doing stuff that would reveal proprietary Windows code) they cannot release old UIs for modding/tweaking settings? Im a bit jealous at some graphics in some flavors of Linux, like being resizable down to how many pixels tall your taskbar is!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

codo27 posted:

Only people like my mother who use the computer strictly to play slot machines on facebook should be on ChromeOS.

And you guys need to drop it with this blah blah tablet blah blah touch stuff. You're blowing it way out of proportion. The only real problem I've encountered so far is the inability to disable taskbar icon grouping. That, and the new start layout is unintuitive.

I guess that is a better, more focused question than my earlier one: Why irreversibly make this happen? I’m sure for many people this is cool. But for almost as many, why not put a slider button to disable this if you don’t like it? You already did it! I can’t think that putting last year’s taskbar code would be either expensive or time consuming for a developer.

I guess I’m also thinking of the different computer voices available in the menus: If you would rather hear a soft Australian woman’s voice you can download it for free instead of the default American male voice. Nobody is forced to do it, and it’s not even many users even know is possible. They keep Sam by design, like grouped buttons, but I can download a regular Win10 style one I just prefer. Charge me $0.99 for it, I don’t care. Hell, put out a slew of tweak-able stuff for $40/year like you used to. I bought it all the time even if I just needed a featureless two out of twelve. Having to hack the registry to get rid of Cortana can break your install if you aren’t careful, but you can add things or revert them if you need! No development time or old code maintenance needed.

I could be wrong, and Microsoft doesn’t owe me anything. I just cannot understand why a dev would strip out a “Use grouped icons-Use Win10 style icons” feature. It’s not the icons that bother me, it’s the simple fact that I don’t even have a simple radio button to change back to last version’s style.

And if you want to use old Win95 menus, I would think an optional $9.99 “DLC” would make a bit of profit while XP, 7, and 10 style features would be great on the MS Store as an option.

Maybe it’s too involved with the guts, but that’s a problem both MS & Apple share. I just can’t see how a radio button to ungroup taskbar widgets would require a major time/money focus or impossible development issue. Maybe it’s too hard, maybe the one VB6 program I ever made was easy (not because of my galaxy-brain, because the tutorials walked me through the process while I spent more time on the program’s style and colors in a GUI, the code for all of the features was auto-piloted in and I only had to come up with a few in:out statements and trigonometry for the math.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 31, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Ungrouping icons is something that they could and should bring back, and if enough people complain in the feedback then they likely will. I don't need it or particularly care, but it won't be hard to do.

An old school UI pack is a pretty sizeable undertaking if you want it to actually play nice with all software out of the box. There's probably scope to do an XP or Win 95 styled theme through recolours and such, but actually fiddling with the nuts and bolts of the OS to add thicker borders, offset the close button, etc and have it work with all software, especially software with a custom UI like Steam, is not going to be a quick and easy task. It might be doable, but it's best left to a third party dev than wishing for Microsoft branded DLC.

Yeah, you’re right. Most of the good stuff I enjoy in Linux is third-party labor of love free stuff, but the freedom of even picking out and making a one of a kind shell is neat. I got what you meant about whole old UIs; that makes a lot of sense. I don’t get upset by the big blue wallpaper on all the screenshots because I know I can switch to a different one or color change it or tile it (yuck). I don’t really want to go back to DOS 4, but I’ve seen enough reviews on pro-am tech YouTube to know I don’t like the fingerprints on my TV I use as a desktop monitor (it’s not a loving touchscreen!) or the thirty years of muscle memory going left to click “Start” because it has every path-to-programs I use on my desktop. Some people just work with PowerShell or a single program all day at a workstation. Most of the folks I know that do work with a computer don’t want to come home to the same screen they see all day, even if both computers use the same OS. It’s the same with exotic cars and vaginas (a good friend is an OB/GYN at the Med, married to an OB/GYN, and teaches future OB/GYN students; felt the need to explain that choice of examples).

Just hopefully they give me the option, because if I wanted a MacBook I would buy a Mac Book. I’ve always liked Windows, I’ve used it for decades through almost all consumer versions. Either they aren’t getting a broad spectrum of Windows users in their focus testing, or Apple snuck a bunch of designers into the group. Just gimme a button 8 layers into settings menu. And if you want to buy goodwill, give us UI tools or templates so third party Win11 lovers can waste time.
Like using Black Notepad (power toys 32-bit) instead of regular Notepad because the large white light washes the text into a blurry mess because of my eye problems.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I understand that, too. And I also used the whole Stardock themes stuff (I really, really want my 100% complete collection of After Dark screen savers back, especially the one with the package that included the cat-killing lawnmower and one that was like an invisible physics teacher writing hard math on a chalkboard, with sound!).

I’d be happy to have a choice, though. I really like my Win10 setup, and I’m not bitching as an opponent of trying something new. I also bitched about New Coke; why not keep plain old Coke and release New Coke as a new product alongside the good tasting stuff? Same with many UI changes: try new, give me a choice to use the old if I prefer while I can maybe slowly come around. I’ve done it my whole teenage to middle-age life with all versions, but I always had the option to drop back a release or two as the new features become familiar and better over time. I’m already in the program, and I just haven’t dl’ing 11 yet. But I have seen it’s use many times, and the touch-features on a desktop are weird and have caused folks trouble, and not being able to move the taskbar around or ungroup the group seems horrible. Or give the Stardock guy a job.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The Lord Bude posted:

Grouped taskbar icons have been the default since windows 7, I’d be stunned if more than 5-10% of people were still using old style ungrouped or text labels still.

I agree, but this seems like a rather plain discussion and nobody is a rabid for/against fan. Unlike any other community online. Which is why I bring it up here because I can get opinions from real, working devs and shut-in nerds (me) at the same times. After all, we obviously all like Windows or we wouldn’t care enough to post suggestions itt! I follow lots of threads, 99% of which I’m not an expert in the field of. And I almost always walk away feeling like I learned something!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

SuddenlyAri posted:

I'm enjoying Win10 1/2 I mean W11 so far. All jokes aside I actually do like the aesthetic better than 10 but that might be an unpopular opinion.

Don’t worry about it. If you like it that way, that’s completely ok. Your opinion is perfectly reasonable and popular. I disagree, but that’s just because we liked different ways of the same thing. I love my iPhone 8, but I don’t want to do anything much besides take photos (I broke both camera and flash in an unfortunate open-closet-door accident last week, though) and take care of my emails and various hobby forums/SA/Reddits. I don’t want to use iOS or any of its features for actual work. I just would rather get the option (like personifying the Taskbar) to use all the good features of Win11 but without a Mac cloned UI. Or wait six months for some third party fix a la’ Stardock.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Actually though. Both as a user of computers and as a developer of software, gently caress the web

I just get tired of people calling everything on a computer an “app.” I really don’t understand why it bothers me at all; I’m not a programmer or IT person, and I have both an iPhone and iPad running apps all day long.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I mean, it’s shorter that the alternatives

What did we use to call them, programs, executables…

Pretty sure that switch to calling everything an app was a Steve Jobs thing

Programs. Computers run programs. I mean, it’s not like it’s against the law to refer to them as “apps,” it’s just grating to my 47 y/o ears. I am still posting on a 22 year old dead gay forum, after all.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Klyith posted:

Application programs

Yeah I know, I just wanted to be crotchety because I just got off a Zoom “meeting” with my 8 y/o niece and 5 y/o nephew thanking me for a box full of like Disney, SpongeBob, Jurassic Park, and various “learning” games (Blue’s Clues, Sesame Street, etc) while digging through the box (they got the DVD-R USB from Amazon two days ago) and talking about the various “apps” that looked like fun. They were for my now 22 y/o son and boxed up as he got older. My nephew is falling behind because of a Covid breakout at school, and his grandmother (sis-in-law) said he’d said he’d never seen so many apps before.

I bit my tongue. :airquote: :3:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Now y’all jus tryin’ to piss me off… (that commercial is brain poison :argh:)

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

That’s the windows tic-toc isn’t it? Every other version is good

Star Trek movies, too.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The Lord Bude posted:

The last good Star Trek movie was Insurrection though.

Haha, true.
And I love The Orville, too.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

You'll need something like a third party app called "VB6ScrollWheelFix7" to scroll in the VB 6 IDE. I have it somewhere if you can't find it on Google, let me know. Installing Visual Studio from the year VB 6 came out will make you install MICROSOFT JAVA IIRC also, which you will want to uninstall immediately upon completing the VB6 install. I also remember using compatibility mode and recommended settings for the installer. ALSO, you probably want to make sure and install VB 6 SP 6 which has a lot of bug fixes.

I really wish MS didn't kill off VB. A lot of crappy software was made with it, but the same could be said of many languages. It's a really good tool for throwing together something to fill a niche need or for prototyping. At least they still support the runtime.

I saved this in a *.txt file and sent it to my computer because it will be much easier to install knowing the tag-alongs without all the Google searches. Thanks!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't mean to be insensitive, but this is hilarious. From what I've seen it is truly impressive how badly Microsoft mangled the taskbar.

Yeah, not laughing at your expense, either, but it is amazing to me how hosed up my (admittedly anecdotal) user experience is just from the taskbar and start menu changes. That was two of the things I actually thought they had perfected and could’ve moved on afterwards.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

AlexDeGruven posted:

But you go ahead and be a sea lioning dick

What in the world is “sea lioning?” Is it like “gaslighting,” “dog whistling,” “virtue signaling?” Or is it just terms to sound like moral superiority over commies & chuds depending on who is losing the debate at the moment? (edit: not a slap of either one of you two, personally; I’m behind the times because I don’t go on Twitter and haven’t logged into Facebook in a few years.)

I can’t find my Urban Dictionary app for my iPhone so I’m not able to search :shrug:

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 7, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Fame Douglas posted:

Why would you have an "Urban Dictionary" app, lmao. Urban Dictionary is a garbage site where everybody can post whatever they want, it has zero relevance to anything.

Mainly for exactly the situation I find myself in at this moment: Looking up slang like “thicc” or “neocon” or “gaslighting.”

Words you see used only on the internet between groups of people to score points on the “other side.” It takes a little while to get into the Webster’s app, plus the UD App can have both very detailed to lmao-definitions of the new phrase and ways to use them correctly. Nobody I communicate with daily/weekly uses these words, so I have to look ‘em up.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

site posted:

You could just Google sealioning since it's literally the first result

I learned in 2000 not to ask Google for anything I read on this gay, dead website. I’m probably on sooooo many lists…
:gonk:

edit: That cartoon is great!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

:confused: Is this a bit? Just type it into the search bar on your home screen and let Google take care of it.

I wish. I don’t really fear to look up something on Google (I’ve been goatse’d and Rick Rolled for decades now), but I really just like to get why a word or phrase I don’t recognize is used. The person using the phrase will often explain not only the generalized use, but the specific way they are using it in the conversation I’m reading. Doesn’t seem to be more prevalent on either “side” of anything discussed online, and frankly, I enjoy the context more than a dry Google search or Webster’s definition 😳.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 7, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Internet Explorer posted:

If I can't tell if you're being really dense or just trolling, I am going to assume the later. We all have Google here, we can try using it and then posing questions.

Apologies all around. I am dense, though. You got that part right!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm installing windows 11 on my main desktop, which has an i7 3770 from 2012. No secure boot, no TPM, and CPU is unsupported. Every practical neuron in my brain is screaming at me that this is dumb and I'm ignoring them because doing stupid poo poo is fun and this is less stupid than the time I worked on my house's wiring while drunk.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone knows what the actual purpose is of registry entries that let you bypass requirements? Like, is it intended to serve some legitimate purpose for end users, is it a remnant from the development process that got overlooked, or what?

I’m not sure in this case. One of the techie channels I follow on YouTube linked to an official Microsoft walk-through of how to edit the registry to allow it. It’s not some OS hacker in Serbia, it’s an actual Microsoft support page. I don’t understand and there is no reason given.

I mean, poo poo. It’s a free download. It’s not like unlocking DLC and charging for essential new features. In my (non-business) estimation, it would actually be costing them money for bandwidth and servers and staff to have multiple millions of users attempting to download when they really shouldn’t even be trying in the first place because their rigs aren’t supported.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Fame Douglas posted:

The main goal is probably forcing OEMs and mainboard manufacturers into making these new requirements their defaults, so they can be enforced when Windows 12 comes around.

This does make sense. I stopped worrying about planning for the future in my late 20s. I’m also not on the board at an international company; I believed Windows 10 was the last version, and it would just update with the times.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

BoosterDuck posted:

how do you remove recycle bin from the desktop again

Put it inside itself, silly!

Worry about the ripped hole in Spacetime later.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
This work in 11, too?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Koskun posted:

The second, and this one is a pretty major one for me, is quick sound output switching. With Win10, a quick click on the speaker brought up a selection menu of all available sound output options. Now you have to go to the Settings and then select. There used to be a little program that did this in the early days of Win10, but then they simply added it in as default.

I use SoundSwitch. I have a decent sound system setup on my desktop, as well as a solid headset w/microphone. I went and set a toggle, which is easy with only two options. Right ctrl+NumPad 0 instantly switches between the two and back the second time. It may be on the MS Store, but I got it so long ago I forgot.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's an "upgrade."

You also cannot toggle it to your preferences, either, like you have been able to since 1998 (not sure of exact version if I’m wrong, but it’s been a long, long time). I cannot believe that they’ve doubled down on actually having a Linux kernel as a system and yet you can’t place your taskbar on the top border like many Linux distros have by default. They already have your newest OS, are you just trolling the WSL2 computer people?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The Lord Bude posted:

After a couple of decades of humouring people* in their perversions, they've finally struck a blow for righteousness and decency by enforcing correct taskbar placement.

*I don't actually know who these people are, in all my life I've never actually encountered a real person in the flesh who puts the taskbar anywhere other than the bottom.

I don’t have a lot of expertise in Linux and its different distros (getting more comfortable with WSL2 and virtual machines), but anecdotally I always see that Linux GUIs default to the top. I just figured it was a setting to differ itself from Windows. But while I know others who put the TB on the side, I’ve never seen a Windows user lock it to the top, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The Lord Bude posted:

yeah a number of linux distros do top, and Mac of course has the menu bar at the top and the dock at the bottom. But I notice Linuxmint which has become the new major 'easy' distro for home users is very windows like in its UI - taskbar at the bottom.

I’ve seen the videos on “Linux that looks exactly like Windows/MacOS” and wondered what the point was. I admit to having a checklist (around here somewhere-it’s actually on paper) to run through configurations for “new” Win10 installs in Extended God Mode. But it’s just default Win10 to customized Win10. Why anyone would voluntarily attempt to make any Linux look like MacOS besides a hobby is beyond me.

After things get fixed due to demand or something I’ll probably get with the program and put Win11 on my main desktop, I just don’t want to have to depend on third party scripts or regedit to “fix something” that wasn’t broken. Especially something as a couple of constantly used tools like my Taskbar and Start Menu.