Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Playing an invasion with a friend is pretty great if you establish some ground rules. Having colt ignore the transmitter and try to take down the visionary along with maybe 5 mins or so of just doing side quests and the like so Juliana can set up turrets and traps and then only starting to engage when colt is in the process of attacking the visionary makes it a lot more compelling bc there are a ton of places where Juliana can make the usual process go wrong.

This game could really use a Prey style hardcore mode with map randomization. While it’s obv meant to be more majora’s mask than a roguelike, where you solve the puzzles iteratively and eventually have the whole thing solved, I think mooncrash showed the potential to make the same type of game into something really replayable with some tweaks like that.

Personally I’d like some dlc that expands the main maps and makes things more dynamic and reactive, like new powers/trinkets/perks or something like ways you can bump the visionaries around the time periods and maps so it’s more of a sandbox, though it seems like arkane’s past dlcs usually just involve separate campaigns

FrancisFukyomama fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

It feels like there should be one more tier of items. Wonder if blue trinkets being green in the worldspace is a remnant of that.
There only being 5 possible perks for weapons is a bit disappointing, especially when there are a bunch of weapon perks that feel like they could easily have been given to more weapons, like charged shots or the damage buffs on consecutive shots, if only for variety
This game feels sorta short to me but the last single player fps-ish game I played was FNV, which is 50+ hours, and I’m told that 20-30 hours is about how long most immersive sims are: longer than something like Doom 4 but shorter than an open world game.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I loved how excited colt is learning about the LPP and hoping that it’s some kind of scifi superweapon bc it might mean that hes also a genius super scientist and how crestfallen he is when he realizes that he’s just a security guard

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Sivart13 posted:

Man I have never stealthed long enough at the party to see half of this stuff

I didn't have any notion that there's any cannibalism or meat grinding going on, 5 minutes in the only party anyone is having is racing into the same doorway to attack me.

There’s so much party dialogue and animations that I feel like it was planned for there to be a way to disguise yourself at some point that was cut for time

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I think there should have been at least one more tier of items and the quest rewards been unique trinkets, since by the mid game you’ve pretty much got one of every trinket so there’s not much reason to do side quests. I hope they increase weapon perk variety in updates too since as of now there’s a lot of perks that are restricted to a single weapon even though there’s no reason they couldn’t be applied to the others with minimal effort.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Basic Chunnel posted:

Or more interesting special weapons!

Over time it's become more and more disquieting how limited this game feels to me. Far Cry, a game that hasn't tried to be a proper immersive sim for like 9 iterations, feels like it has more interactive systems than Deathloop... Tossing meat to attract predators, booby trapping cars and alarms, throwing proximity mines on your alligator pal and sending him forth, etc. Not to mention FC's most fundamental immersive sim feature, fire catching and spreading. It's harder to appreciate the little things Arkane implements through the time loop concept - eg, leaving the Karl's Bay guitarist alone all day to find his skill has improved, the maskmaker arc, etc - when so many gameplay systems feel fairly static. The first thing I really noticed was that the world felt static; they streamlined out all the physics objects which, on the one hand, makes Karnesis only do fun stuff and avoids the "oh was this the gauze bandage you wanted to throw forcefully?" problem of Bioshock et al, but on the other hand gives the weird sensation that the entire gameworld is coated with some invisible resin.

It does feel like there’s a lot of rudimentary systems that imply that there’d be more to them than one time uses. Like how the candy machines easily make you imagine there’d be spots where you could shoot pipes and have jets of flame or freezing water come out or how the nullifiers seem like they’d be useful if there were some sort of very tough slab using enemy that came in numbers, but aside from some very specific circumstances that are pre scripted you never actually use them bc no eternalists use slabs and the advantage you might get against a slab using visionary is completely eclipsed by the massive disadvantage for the player.

I hope someone pokes around in the data files and sees if there’s any cut or unimplemented content that could be reactivated like Prey’s hardcore mode, since that they programmed in functionality for systems like that but restricted them so heavily implies that they may have planned to give them more uses but were cut short by covid.

There seems to be a lot of places where it feels like things had to be cut for time, like all the quests with generic rewards, the relatively low amount of lore everywhere, and all the signs pointing to that Alexis’ mansion would be infiltratable.

Speaking of cut content I distinctively remember seeing a pre release video where the rapier had multiple rounds in its magazine, but using the 1 round reload animation, and I can’t figure out any scenario where that would be possible, nor can I find any mention of it anywhere. Maybe big box worked for the rapier as well pre release and was only disabled later? That some of the launch day guides recommended big box for the rapier and big box isnt unselectable implies that

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I hope we get a new game+/roguelike mode in a future update like they did with prey. More randomization would be fantastic for a replay even though the base game is clearly designed with a majora’s mask approach rather than a roguelike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I have to say if they were to do dlc for this game I’d rather they do something that adds more reactivity and content for the main loop. You can tell they were stretched thin for this one with all the loose ends and unfinished feeling content and if they were to do a new location or a mini campaign I think it’d have the same issue.