Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
That’s one way to spin it I guess

https://twitter.com/new_narrative/status/1410574698388279304?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

hell, even the URL is doing some work

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Shatner was also a colossal rear end in a top hat under all that charm, like his entire life. I'm shocked most of his ex-cast members ever stayed friendly with him. Probably the only reason was for the convention cash (and that wasn't enough for James Doohan, who loving hated him).

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Jealous. Alabama is dragging its feet on implementing its very restricted medical pot law. I'd put money that the legislature really just wants Biden to legalize it and take all the heat off them.

Hell, they're straight up stealing kids from out of staters with valid medical marijuana.

https://www.al.com/crime/2021/06/alabama-removes-toddler-from-michigan-family-found-with-marijuana.html

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Cenen posted:

Weren’t there two? I could have sworn they got pretty heavy sentences but it has actually been awhile since all that went down.

Yep. Upon reading the details, I don't really have a problem with this. Served 3.5 years of a 25 year sentence in a mental health facility, will be monitored until she's 37 and the sentence runs out. I'm sure if the victim was in my family I'd be mad, but this makes sense.

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/01/1012330011/judge-orders-release-of-wisconsin-woman-in-slender-man-case

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Cenen posted:

Makes a lot more sense since I could have sworn they got heavy sentences. So did just one of them get a deal or both?

Just the one; I don't think it's a deal so much as she met certain treatment milestones for conditional release. The other got 65 years.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/robertjamesii/status/1410769486827999234?s=21

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

what the gently caress is white sauce for bbq

Mayonnaise-based. Sounds disgusting.

However, a good one is fantastic on smoked chicken or turkey. They're horrible on anything darker.

And before you blech, remember that most other bbq sauces either start with tomato sugar or concentrated douche.

I spent 20 years here in the state that invented it making GBS threads on the idea before I tried it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

In current events, the military continues to be lovely to victims. The big independent commission report (no, not that one. No, not that other one either) just dropped on SECDEF's desk. Here's a link to the whole report if you'd like to seriously bum the gently caress out of your holiday weekend:

https://media.defense.gov/2021/Jul/02/2002755437/-1/-1/0/IRC-FULL-REPORT-FINAL-1923-7-1-21.PDF/IRC-FULL-REPORT-FINAL-1923-7-1-21.PDF

Here's one big takeaway:

https://twitter.com/Meghann_MT/status/1411051411022905344

Every. single. one.

Thwomp posted:

I hadn’t heard of white BBQ sauce until this Babish episode dropped last week. I’ve had BBQ from drat near everywhere but I guess keeping out of the Deep South kept me in the dark on white sauce.

Just looking at the preview, no thanks. I can't stress it enough, white sauce is heinous on any kind of pork or beef. It's magical on birds and birds only.

Sarern posted:

Is that a cooking term I'm not familiar with?

Douche is vinegar diluted with water.

Vinegar is the basic ingredient that is (heavily over-)used as the basis of the BBQ sauce in a certain Southern state that is pretty decent in everything other than their ability to cook meat.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Wonder Free posted:

Thats’s me. We’ve got one P-3 flying it from Aruba and then my crew is going to pick it up early Sunday morning when they come back. G-IV has longer legs so they will keep flying from Florida until it gets too close. We probably won’t evacuate planes for this but probably will have to reposition somewhere out of the path so we can fly it until landfall.

Hurricane upgrade took everyone by surprise, GFS has been calling it to be a weaker hurricane with ECMWF saying it won’t even form. Kind of odd. The TS forecast May be a bit of NHC hedging their bets between two forecast models.

How bad does it get where you guys fly? I'm assuming this isn't the full Hurricane Hunter experience like the P-3s

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/sydneyelainexo/status/1410380254544281602

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Some fun poo poo coming out of the NRA bankruptcy lawsuit

quote:

The leader of the National Rifle Association said in a deposition that he fled to a private yacht out of fear for his safety following the Sandy Hook and Parkland school shootings.

The 108-foot yacht ― complete with two Sea-Doo WaveRunners and a staff of four people, including a cook ― was where Wayne LaPierre, chief executive of the gun rights group, fled after those mass shootings of schoolchildren in 2012 and 2018.
Advertisement

“They simply let me use it as a security retreat because they knew the threat that I was under,” LaPierre said in a weekend deposition in Texas, where he hopes the NRA can file for bankruptcy to avoid a lawsuit brought by New York Attorney General Letitia James.

LaPierre said the decision to flee to his friend’s yacht, named The Illusion, was due to threats he received after the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting that left 20 children and six adults dead. LaPierre then fled to the yacht a second time in 2018 following the Parkland, Florida, school shooting that left 17 dead, according to his deposition.

“And I was basically under presidential threat without presidential security in terms of the number of threats I was getting,” LaPierre continued. “And this was the one place that I hope I could feel safe, where I remember getting there going, ‘Thank God I’m safe, nobody can get me here.’ And that’s how it happened. That’s why I used it.”

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Ricky Williams should get half of that, considering Master P's incredibly stupid loving contract that he negotiated for him

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What's Latin for "Floating Bolthole?"

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/somnio-worlds-first-yacht-liner-unveiled/index.html

200+ feet longer than a Burke-class, displaces over three times more. I'm calling it now, we'll see the first private luxury aircraft carrier in this loving decade.

Let's be honest, everyone in here- if you saw this poo poo got USS Cole'd, would you even pretend to be sad

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Nooooooooooo! All that magnificent alcohol!" :cry:

That is....not a bad take.

Seriously though, if Al Qaeda limpet mined Jeff Bezos' galactic frigate, could any of us really get our hackles up

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

I laugh at anyone using kaspersky anything. I remember a thing that just mysteriously vanished about a decade ago when they started getting big about the Russian government leaning on them to put in backdoor code, which made me distrust them,and really any Russia based security firm.

Yeah Kaspersky is a pretty hilariously thin FSB front at this point. No moral outrage from me, considering the NSA compromised virtually every American tech company too.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

If you aren't already sick of Donald Rumsfeld grave-dancing, here's an extraordinarily cute attempt from a jackass to join in:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-rumsfeld-princeton-encounter_n_60de4430e4b0e01b6b1c6b89

"Donald Rumsfeld was mean to me as a college sophomore. Also, please look at this sexy picture of the author as a young man, and yes I will point out that is a Princeton class ring I'm wearing"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

I am conflicted.

Do I want us out of Afghanistan? Absolutely.

But weirdly, the way we just left Bagram in the middle of the night just makes it even more clear how much of an utter waste my time in the military was.

I guess I got free school out of it? Something I think everyone should get anyway?

We peaced out quietly because if we told the Afghan army we were leaving at 2200 on this day guess how many rockets and VBIEDs would somehow magically be waving us goodbye

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Japan literally cannot cancel them. Only the IOC can.

Lol what?

Pretty sure Japan can pull the plug on them happening in Japan.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

US Berder Patrol posted:

I personally like watching vanilla olympic women's volleyball. Big legged women in short shorts are a very nice bonus, but honestly it's just a fun sport to watch that most people know the rules to.

The only two sports I saw in the '96 Olympics live were men's soccer matches in Birmingham, and the women's beach volleyball (first time it was an Olympic sport). Yeah, that was nice.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

US Berder Patrol posted:

Are personal loans a popular product? I can't think of anyone I knew who ever just got a straight up loan, not home equity or auto or whatever from a bank.

Signature loans are a thing, although usually only for higher earners or strapped middle incomes. Low earners don't have the credit to sign unsecured loans, and credit cards are more convenient for everyone else to use. That leaves major single purchases or projects as the big reason for those loans, and that's usually either a home remodel or debt restructuring.

The APR they offered was from 9.5 to up into the low 20s, so they're essentially a credit card.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Apparently they’ve advised customers that this could adversely affect their credit score.

This part of it is being greatly oversold- it doesn't hit as a delinquency or anything, it just affects the part of scoring concerning average age of open accounts.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Carteret posted:

FWIW, motorcycles and stuff like that, when financed, are classified as personal loans

Since I've never shopped for one, do they have APRs around that credit card area, or can you get comparable rates to buying cars?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

A cop in Huntsville, AL was convicted of murder. He's still on the payroll because the police chief is a giant infant, and the mayor is a white supremacist shithead.

I already knew this, but it gets worse- the police chief sent an email around the department soliciting cops to donate their leave to an anonymous police officer with an unnamed issue. The same day that the cop was convicted and sent on leave.

https://www.al.com/news/2021/07/huntsville-still-paying-police-officer-convicted-of-murder-two-months-ago.html

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Kesper North posted:

She was the first writer I ever wrote fanmail to (via CompuServe, aged twelve). I asked her how she created such consistent Rihannsu-language dialogue. She responded back very enthusiastically - within about twelve hours! - and sent me the source code of the program she'd written in C to generate words based on phonemes with the right sounds. Unfortunately I lacked the means to download said code from a Compuserve account at the time, or to compile it - but it was a darn cool thing to do for a kid fan, and absolutely typical of her from what I can tell.

I always liked that she tried to make the Romulans a 3-dimensional culture long (long) before writers started re-evaluating how they wrote antagonists.

Gene Roddenberry was a piece of poo poo to her.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

gently caress that dude with a pipe wrench. I work at SSA.

He literally killed off telework 2 months before COVID hit.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I hope they just delete his profile and don’t take his calls. Call the 1-800-772-1213 you worthless gently caress. Wait two hours for a half-trained teleservice rep.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

CainFortea posted:

Dude nixxed telework, and then teleworks?

Yes. Complete rear end in a top hat

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

I may be an rear end in a top hat for this, but I’d love for a mil base to be named after Obama just because of how chuds would react.

Even better would be if Bragg got renamed for Obama, or one of the big Texas bases.

I've said for years that my first big Powerball purchase would be to fund a new football stadium for the local college. (They finally did end up building one). But only under the condition that it literally be named Barack Hussein Obama Celebration Field. Everybody usually chuckled. We joked about how quickly it'd end up with a racist nickname, or how the admin would try to weasel out of it by giving it some semi-official nickname like the BHO.

I ended up going to that college (Univ of South Alabama) in my mid-30s as a business major. I got pretty friendly with a lot of the professors (they liked having a former wrench-turner in their classes for a bit of diversity), including the chairs of several of the departments. After graduation, I'd go to some of the business college alumni mixers, because I liked talking with the profs again.

At one of those mixers, it was around the time Powerball was up at one of those ridiculous jackpots like 600 mil or so. So in a circle of business PhDs, some of them retired CEOs or high level executives, everyone was dropping their Powerball wishlists when I dropped mine.

I could not have killed that conversation deader with the smelliest fart in human history.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Good. Rich white people need to remember their place.

It was a definite "oh yeah that's right, these are definitely not my people" moment.

When I told my dad about it, he talked about when he just made warrant officer, and got friendly with a few of the officers in the wardroom, until a CW04 pulled him aside and told him quite plainly "they only let you eat there". Pours some cold water on you to be reminded of the difference between who you are friendly with, and who you are friends with.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Am I a bad person for wanting to see CPAC live and in-person?

US Berder Patrol posted:

The individual services have different cultures regarding Warrants. They're generally very highly regarded in the Navy, and the USMC warrants are basically never going to be disrespected. Army has lots of warrant officers in comparison to the maritime services tho, I wouldn't be surprised to learn they're treated as an officer* rather than an officer.

He was a Navy warrant from 1964 to 1992; warrants were in a weird spot of being professionally respected but socially frozen out, as they weren't one of the actual nobility. More of a valuable commoner.

Mustangs actually faced a tremendous amount of disrespect and bullshit back then. I'd imagine the culture changed across all services as they got more common (it was rare back then); I know when I was in my last year in doing TRADOC cadre for the Signal Officers' Basic Course, I was shocked at how high the percentage of 2LTs were prior enlisted.

GD_American fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 10, 2021

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Do they still do that dumb poo poo about not allowing vasectomies for someone with no kids or being judged as too young?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

TheWeedNumber posted:

how many navy seals would show up though

The proper plural collective would be a book signing of Navy SEALs.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

That guy that posted an ask/tell thread about Nuclear MASINT and then got reamed so hard he killed himself

Holy poo poo i remember the dude but didnt know that happened

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Yeah he died. His dad was the commander of the 55th, and even then he hosed up so hard he took his life rather than anymore licks from Uncle Sam.

Sad story honestly.

Again:

:sigh:

Aw, gently caress. I remember I either banned or super-probated him and edited out several of his posts in GIP when I saw them. It scared the poo poo out of me, how much he was just blithely talking about.

I remember because grover had appointed himself Infosec Fuhrer and that’s the only time I had to step in

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Do I remember reading that the fbi basically won't ask you something unless they already know the answer?

Ask Martha Stewart.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Crab Dad posted:

I guess verbal commands to surrender go out the door if you ram a cop. Still he at least prepped him for the EMT.

"hey uh move your car, let me take 10 minutes cutting his shorts. Move your car, dude. Oh, that blood? Cmon, move your car, bro. Uh, yeah, massive gunshot head wound. I'll get to it"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Bored As gently caress posted:

The cop made an amazing shot, and stopped the rear end in a top hat from shooting more innocent people.

Oh yeah. I noticed right away he wasn't doing the usual magazine dump that you see cops do. Then when I saw the guy on the ground I whistled. That was a fantastic shot.

It makes sense what you're saying about his procedure. I imagine there's a healthy bit of "gently caress this guy" there too.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Crab Dad posted:

Look it’s really hard to think properly when you have a massive boner and looking forward to the hottest sex of his life that night.

He did about as well as any normal human could do after doming an alleged homicidal maniac.

Oh yeah I'll cop to 100% Monday morning quarterbacking here

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

lightpole posted:

JIT was great for overall efficiency but it sure struggles to account for variability.

I know the pivot will take several years bit I would to love to see how biz school curriculums evolve from this. Journals like HBR were jizzing over things like open offices and servant leadership when I was in undergrad, then 5 years later in postgrad they hated them.

JIT will probably go down in history with Lamarckian evolution and phrenology as dead end ideas. We’ll have a period where robustness and redundancy become fetishes in corporate strategy. Companies will overbuild so much that in 2085, a single researcher at University of Miami (Atlantic Ocean) will blow the dust off an ancient tome. “Six Sigma”, he’ll mutter to himself. “Interestingggg”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmutRqkMx3g&t=272s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

God bless Nas X. It's that old dril tweet about turning the racism dial up and looking back for approval, except he keeps turning the gay dial up and looking back and cackling at the increasing amount of hair-rending