Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

College Rockout posted:

The fight was one sided enough that I don't really have much interest in a rematch and I'd much rather have Yan vs TJ instead.

Aljo has been pretty cringey with how he’s been handling the whole thing, and it also seems to have sent Yan completely over the edge, so I’m pretty excited to see Yan execute Aljo before the TJ fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Yea it's surprising how bad he's been about this considering how well he handled it immediately post-fight. He really didn't look like he wanted the belt when Buffer announced him as the winner and in the incredibly medically irresponsible post-fight interview he kept on saying that wasn't the way he wanted to win. Recently brain-damaged Aljo has more self-awareness than regular Aljo :shrug:. Yan going full Ivan Drago for the rematch is a fun angle at least.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It was stupid of Yan and he should have known the rules to not throw it.
But I'm also not going to say that a Russian person who isn't a native English speaker (I don't know how much verbal English Yan understands) in the heat of the moment and 19 minutes deep into a championship fight is going to have as good of a grasp on the rules as a native speaker would in that situation, so his failure to initially understand why it was a foul and anything they went over back stage might not have had sunk in as well.

Sterling sucks and the fact he acts like a champ is embarrasing for him.

He knew the rules been in ufc since 2018, just hosed up is all i agree with the thought that he may have expected aljo to stand up right then, just didn't wait until he could be sure or his corner hosed up and said it was good to throw

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

CommonShore posted:

This and the Eddie Alvarez dq led me to my unpopular theory that remaining in a position like that, where you're basically offering illegal strikes and you're only being protected by the rules, should count as grounds for TKO.

I still believe it, but I don't post about it.

Much.

I have always claimed that if you give up your back while mounted you should be disqualified.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I mean, the entire MMA world decided Aljo was a stupid lovely faking loser who sucks the literal moment he decided he couldn't continue, including Yan, so at a certain point why would you try to play it off nicely when everyone including the dude whose fault it is that you have the belt has already made up their mind

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

david carmichael posted:

I have always claimed that if you give up your back while mounted you should be disqualified.

long time no see!

Nah I'm more talking about those spots where all someone is doing is exposing the back of their head and not trying to improve their position: hanging out in a spot where the threat of a DQ is all that's keeping them from taking a life-altering blow to the dome. Most people who lay there with someone on their back without trying to improve their position or get out get TKOed anyway. It's not the being in the position that annoys me, it's when fighters jut stay there.

world b lee
Feb 1, 2006
Is it a frog? Is it a toad?
I think if you present your back to your opponent during a fight, at any point in time for any reason, it should be registered as a submission and you should have to give your opponent livestock as penance

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

no one saw this one coming

https://twitter.com/ryanmckinnell/status/1420424255242522629?s=21

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
if i put myself into a guillotine and i dont know how to get out, it's your fault if i jab my grubby lil gremlin claws in your eyes to try and escape, that's just fair

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

double negative posted:

no one saw this one coming

I don't know much about Weidman's habits outside the ring. He's always come off pretty disciplined with training.
Is this implying he messed up his PT/recovery somehow?

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

CarlCX posted:

I mean, the entire MMA world decided Aljo was a stupid lovely faking loser who sucks the literal moment he decided he couldn't continue, including Yan, so at a certain point why would you try to play it off nicely when everyone including the dude whose fault it is that you have the belt has already made up their mind

This is a good point and I think the reasonableness of this community has warped my perspective a bit. I appreciate that the only issue people here had was that the ref didn't stop the fight immediately and kept asking Aljo how he was doing even though he physically couldn't stand up without stumbling.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

kimbo305 posted:

I don't know much about Weidman's habits outside the ring. He's always come off pretty disciplined with training.

He is historically very injury prone, in and out of the cage.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

if i put myself into a guillotine and i dont know how to get out, it's your fault if i jab my grubby lil gremlin claws in your eyes to try and escape, that's just fair

What's the correct escape for a self-gogoplata

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

i was kinda following him as he was documenting his recovery/return, and his PT seemed hosed up from the jump to me and my non-doctor eyes, with him getting back to running and then training extremely quickly.

on the subject of injury, suarez’s situation makes me sad too

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
The Ultimate Fighter recap!

Episode 9: Clocked

Things are all tied up going into the semi-finals, baby! Both Volko and Ortega lost their #1 bantamweight picks, so that's fun!

Bryan Battle and Ricky Turcios are ~V I B E B R O S~, hanging out by the pool, talking about life and whatnot. We move to Team Ortega's morning practice session, and there's, uh, no Coaches from Team Ortega. One of the fighters says "You know they won't be here for another 40", so I guess T-City is a municipal district without a single clock. Rettinghouse says "we just learned to deal with it"

As a prank, Volko stuffs the Ortega locker room with clocks and put "Ortega Time: Better Late Than Never" posters up. Ortega is adamant that the prank is not good and also lame.

Liudvik likes Ricky and his crazy style. Volko says Ricky is a weird and also cool dude. Ricky wants to stay behind his jab, a theory that could put him among the smartest MMA strikers in a long time. Ricky's key for his victory is to be unpredictable in the cage.

Dana says because the fights have been so good (they honestly have), he is going to give the semi-finalists a reward: a call home, you know, like if they were prisoners. Liudvik is very appreciative seeing his family again, noting that it doesn't matter if he wins or lose, these are the people who have been with him from the beginning, and will be with him until the end. :3: Liudvik asks what's going in the world, and his friends say Elon Musk populated Mars. Fun times with the Sholinians!

Ricky calls his dad in El Salvador, and they reconnect in a very touching manner. Ricky's dad says he's been sending his son good vibes and energy every day, so that's where Ricky gets it from. They end the call with both men double bicep flexing, shouting LET'S GO to each other. Hell yeah, baby!

Both guys make weight with no issues. Kemran calls this potentially the fight of the season.

Today's The Ultimate Fighter Flashback, presented by Toyo Tires (Remember when it came out that UFC was going to reward whoever got KO, submission, and Fight of the Year a new set of Toyo tires, and that's it, that's all they received as a bonus?) is Jon Gunther from season 27, Cormier vs Miocic. Gunther is the weirdo who shears alpacas for a living. Isn't it wacky to be involved in such a profession?? Gunther got choked unconscious almost instantly in his first fight. Wacky!

Uh, anyway, it's fight day. We got 20+ minutes left on this one, so expect a 3-rounder, friends. (Oh, the semi-finals are already set for 3 rounds. Well, don't expect sudden victory, then)

Tale of the Tape

Ricky Turcios
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 135.00lbs
Reach: 72"

Liudvik Sholinian
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 135.50lbs
Reach: 70"

Round 1

Ricky trying his yell "ablooga blooga" technique to draw out feints, to no reaction from Liudvick. Both guys throwing single shots, jabs and low kicks. Ricky rushes in with a combo, misses everything but the last strike, a nice body kick.

Ricky pops Liudvik coming forward with a solid jab. Both guys getting a little brawly. Ricky shoots for a takedown, gets Liudvik against the fence. Clinching on the cage, little flurries of punches. Liudvik separates, and we're back to distance striking.

Ricky using the jab well, Liudvik with a stiff cross. Ricky goes in for the clinch against the cage. Few punches in the clinch, but they separate again with under one minute in the round.

Ricky starts landing good shots, Liudvik looking a little hurt against the fence. Ricky should take that with his output at the end of the round. Liudvik has a cut near his hairline, he claims it's from a clash of heads.

Round 2

Ricky pumping his jab. Liudvik keeps pulling straight back to escape. Liudvik shoots a double and gets the takedown. Ricky throwing elbows from bottom. Ricky elevates with his butterflies and gets back to his feet.

Liudvik clinching Ricky against the fence. They separate, back to distance striking. Ricky pressuring forward. Both guys trading jabs. Ricky shoots, Liudvik sprawls, Liudvik gets top position in the scramble. Ricky explodes, looking for Liudvik's legs. Liudvik tries to take Ricky's back. Scramble, both guys grabbing, but they get back to standing.

Liudvik with another takedown, Ricky rolls, but Liudvik has mostly taken Ricky's back. Another scramble, back to standing. Ricky pushing Liudvik against the fence. Round ends with both men throwing. Tougher round. Liudvik didn't do a whole lot with his grappling. I could see it 19-19, but Ricky being up 20-18 is a strong possibility.

Round 3

Ricky yells LETS' GO at the start of the round. Both guys exchanging punches. Ricky shoots, Liudvik sprawls, Ricky rolls, and we're back to standing.

Liudvik starts winging these overhand, slapping punches. Ricky with a good jab and low kicks. Ricky rips to the body, landing elbows to the face. Ricky landing some nice 1-2s, Liudvik throwing back, but not landing as much, or as cleanly.

Liudvik getting tagged consistently, and Ricky is avoiding most of the return fire. Liudvik shoots, Ricky sprawls. Ricky cements his Max Holloway status by pointing to the center of the cage with 30 seconds to go and inviting a brawl. He gets tagged with some hard shots, but lands against Liudvik. Round 3 and the fight should go to Ricky.

Winner: RICKY TURCIOS

God dang, that was a great fight!

After the fight, it seems like a producer is trying to get "just one quick question" answered by Liudvik, but he's not in the right state, mentally, to answer, so he bails. Good on him, man.

NEXT WEEK! Team challenge. It looks like their are changing tires. Uh, ok. sure. Also, Bryan Battle vs Andre Petroski in middleweight action!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Brut posted:

Yeah maybe if he doesn't get kneed there Aljo eats a punch on the way up, stands up, the round ends, but then what?

I dunno, obviously it's MMA and anything can happen, but it seemed pretty clear what was going to happen this time.

My personal take is that Aljo didn't win, but Yan chose to lose. I don't care what Yan's corner may or may not have said, if he didn't internalize the rule that an opponent with a knee down is considered a grounded opponent (this isn't something that changes in the altered rule sets, so one can't use that excuse), that's on him. This isn't some obscure rule from an edge case in the Semaphore days, this is a fundamental part of the UFC's unified rules.

I also don't think the belt should change hands on a DQ. It should go into escrow until they create a new matchup, ideally involving the person who "won" due to DQ (if they weren't too wrecked to continue competing) and someone else. If the DQ committer wants another shot, they gotta get back in line.

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I also don't think the belt should change hands on a DQ. It should go into escrow until they create a new matchup, ideally involving the person who "won" due to DQ (if they weren't too wrecked to continue competing) and someone else. If the DQ committer wants another shot, they gotta get back in line.

I don't think this is a horrible idea, but what about a situation where one fighter is winning easily then gets struck with a blatant foul and cant continue?

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

This is the UFC we're talking about though..

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I like the belt being traded on a DQ, not because it's a fair and even-handed policy that considers every possibility but because it's an uncompromising black-and-white policy that discourages gamifying the championship rules

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Aljo being tired and stalling is definitely true. Yan being a really dumb man is also true. I don't think it needs a rule over haul to figure out a solution to it.

IIRC someone posted - somewhere that Yan's corner yelled "hit him, hit him" or "you can hit" and Yan threw the knee but obviously they meant punches.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

I wrote way too many words about the real card of the weekend and here they are

Troy Queef posted:

Oh, Bellator. From your early days on ESPN Deportes, despite all commentary being in English (where a young--THIS FIGHT CLOCK IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY MODELO--commentator by--WEARING THE BLACK AND GOLD BEFITTING A CHAMPION--the name of--THIS THIRD ROUND IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY P3, PORTABLE PROTEIN PACKS--Jon Anik got his start in MMA), to its move to MTV2, to Viacom buying out Bjorn "My Dad Was The Winnebago Man" Rebney as head of the promotion, to its move to Spike when the UFC did the Fox deal, to bringing in Scott Coker once his non-compete was up, to abandoning the old "season" format (where certain divisions would have an eight-man tournament with the winner given a title shot each year), to signing every old guy you can think of up to and including Ken Shamrock, to Kimbo Slice vs Dada 5000 (which, it should be noted, is still the highest-rated fight in promotion history), to adding kickboxing, to hiring Mike Goldberg because of the nostalgia factor, you've certainly been a weird promotion in a weird sport. You've given us sneaky good fights combined with total squash matches and nostalgia rematches no one really asked for. Now, you've decided that 10 years after it got bought out by Zuffa, you're going to try and bring back the old Strikeforce magic. Hell, you've even moved to Showtime and put Mauro Ranallo on main commentary. And as luck would have it, one of the best fights your promotion could make just so happens to be the first card you're doing outside of your pandemic base at the Mohegan Sun, as well as a card going up against a frankly lovely UFC card over on ESPN.

I'd just like to tell you good luck. We're all counting on you.

The card:

Main card (Showtime)

:bahgawd:Featherweight GP Final and Championship: Patricio "Pitbull" Freire (c) vs. AJ McKee

Patricio Freire is undoubtedly one of Bellator's biggest names. Born in the poorer northeast of Brazil, Pitbull had his first pro fight in 2004 and quickly racked up an 11-0 record in events with names like "Leal Combat" and "Fight Ship Looking Boy". He was signed to Bellator for their Season 2 tournament, which featured 145-pounders, and promptly tore through the field and subbed Wilson Reis in the final to set up a date with Joe Warren for the tournament crown. He lost by split decision, but would be back at it in the Season 4 tournament, beating Georgi Karakhanyan (more on him later) and Reis again to set up a final date with Daniel Straus. Against a much taller and longer fighter (Patricio is only 5'6"), Pitbull expertly controlled Straus with an elite ground game and improved striking, winning a UD and a shot at then-champ Pat Curran. He lost, again by split, and would have to do another tournament to get another title shot. Patricio came to Season 9 with much more facial hair--this is important, you see--and again mowed through everyone to win the tournament and get a rematch with Curran. He made no mistake, getting a UD win and the belt. Patricio would defend it twice, including once against Straus, before dropping the belt to Straus in their trilogy fight. Following an ill-advised move to lightweight which saw him lose via leg injury against Benson Henderson, Pit came back to 145 and subbed Straus in their fourth fight to take back the belt. He's since defended it five times, but during that time his brother Patricky, then the lightweight champ, walked into Michael Chandler's hometown of St Louis and got violently knocked out. Patricio confronted Chandler afterwards and vowed to avenge his brother, which he did, by knockout, to become the promotion's second double-champ.

The son of former MMA veteran Antonio McKee, AJ McKee has spent his entire MMA life within Bellator. If there's one thing Coker can do, it's identify and nurture prospects, and he's played a blinder with McKee. "The Mercenary" has racked up 17 wins against progressively stiffer competition, steadily moving up the card in the process from pre/postlims to main events. He's claimed wins over John Macapa, Curran, and Karakhanyan, and in his most recent fight beat Darrion Caldwell with what was the fairly unanimous Submission of the Year. Just watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dv9u3KoGMI&t=170s. (Yes, the commentary is bad. It's a Bellator problem.)

:siren:Featherweight: Mads Burnell vs. Emmanuel Sanchez

Burnell is a Danish fighter who has finished four fights, per Tapology, by way of Japanese necktie. He's an experienced, fun grappler who had a brief UFC run in 2017, losing to Michel Prazeres via north-south choke, beating Mike Santiago, and then losing to Arnold Allen. He then went on to win the Cage Warriors 145-lb title before joining Bellator, where he's beat Saul Rogers most notably.

Emmanuel Sanchez trains out of Roufusport, a gym that like a few others (notably SBG Ireland and Team Fedor) has been moving more of its fighters to Bellator. He's spent most of his career in the promotion, beating stalwarts like Straus, Daniel Weichel, and Karakhanyan while losing twice to Pitbull, including his most recent loss. Well-rounded and fun on the feet, he should make for a good fight.

Lightweight: Usman Nurmagomedov vs. Manny Muro

To answer your question: yes, he's Khabib's cousin. Usman is 12-0, with most of his wins coming on the Russian regional scene (including Khabib's EFC promotion). He was picked up by Bellator earlier this year and made his mark beating Mike Hamel by UD. This was the only fight of his last 5 he has not finished by strikes.

Muro is 12-6, and based out of Oklahoma. This is something notable about Bellator in two ways: they work a lot with local promoters to put their guys on the undercard, have them sell tickets to friends, give them a bit more cash and puts butts in seats, and also run many shows out of Indian casinos, which since they're on tribal land mean that they have their own, more flexible commisions. One of them is WinStar in Thackerville, OK, which is the closest gambling hall to the DFW Metroplex. His best win is a split decision win over Nick Newell. This fight takes the place of Raufeon Stots vs. Magomed Magomedov, pulled due to injury and moved to another card.

:siren:Lightweight: Islam Mamedov vs. Brent Primus

Oh yeah, this is fun. Mamedov is another Dagestani making his Bellator debut, but he's not a stranger to US fight fans. He was a WSOF/PFL veteran who claimed a win over tournament winner Natan Schulte, and reached the knockout stages of the PFL twice. He was unlucky in both: he beat Thiago Tavares in 2018 only to pull out of the final due to injury, and then drew with Loik Radzhabov in 2019 and missed out on the final due to a tiebreaker. He's riding a 18-fight unbeaten streak.

Primus is a grappler from Oregon with an absurd life story: he only saw his biological father either on Cops (no, really) or in prison and his abusive stepfather kicked him out of the house at age 13, after which, depending on what you read, he either started a wildly successful landscaping business or got rich selling pot. He eventually discovered BJJ, earned his black belt in six years, and got into fighting. He racked up a 7-0 record before getting a shot at champ Michael Chandler in 2017, winning the title after a low kick injured Chandler's ankle and the doctor stopped the fight. Primus would drop the title in the rematch and has not fought since February 2020.

160 lb Catchweight: Goiti Yamauchi vs. Chris Gonzalez

Another Coker trademark is a "contract weight" bout, and this is another fun one. Yamauchi was born in Japan to Brazilian parents, who moved back to Curitiba when he was a kid. He took up kickboxing there and was Parana state champ (beating some guy named John Lineker for the gold) and racked up an undefeated amateur and regional record before signing with Bellator. His career has been up and down, with wins over names like Saad Awad, Daniel Weichel, and Ryan Couture, but losses to Chandler and a young Bubba Jenkins, plus repeated problems making weight. It got so bad that after weighing in eight pounds over before a fight in December, the Mohegan Tribal Commission head told him that he could only fight at 170 going forward. (This meant nothing: his most recent fight was at 155, and he lost a decision most people regard as a robbery.)

Gonzalez is a former US national Greco-Roman wrestling champ (once again, Coker loves himself some star amateur wrestlers) with a 6-0 record, most recently knocking out Roger Huerta.

Prelims (Youtube)

Women's Flyweight: Vanessa Porto vs. Ilara Joanne

Porto is a Brazilian veteran with a 22-9 record who first came to the US in 2015, with Invicta. She beat Roxy Modafferi before losing to Jennifer Maia, and then rattled off a three-win streak which gave her a shot at the title (vacated after Maia signed with the UFC) versus Pearl Gonzalez. Porto dominated the fight until Gonzalez inadvertently poked her in the eye in the 4th: under Kansas commission rules, they went to the scorecards and Porto won a technical decision. She never actually defended her title, though: her first scheduled defense was against Karina Rodriguez, who missed weight, which turned their scheduled fight into a 3-rounder that Porto won. After that she signed with Bellator and in her first fight lost to Liz Carmouche

(Fun fact: the head of the Kansas athletic commission? Former Bellator and current BKFC commentator Sean Wheelock, who is from Overland Park. Now you know why Kansas is the only state north of Tennessee to host a BKFC event.)

Ilara Joanne trains with the Pitbull Brothers, but that's not important. You probably know her best because her nickname is "Arya Stark". She has a win over Bec Rawlings but also lost to Kana Watanabe. This fight was supposed to be a couple months ago, but got pushed back due to injury.

150 lb Catchweight: Gadzhi Rabadanov vs. Daniel Carey

Rabadanov is a Russian fighter whose previous US experience came in the PFL: he was part of the 2019 featherweight tournament, where he beat Steven Siler before getting defaulted out after missing weight against both Daniel Pineda and Lance Palmer. He has a combat sambo background, which is always cool. Carey is 7-4 and fights out of Arkansas, but not Westside MMA with Bryce Mitchell: his most notable fight is a loss to Aaron Pico.

Featherweight: Khasan Magomedsharipov vs. Jonathan Quiroz

Yes, it's Zabit's little brother. Khasan has racked up a 5-0 record on the Russian regional scene, with all but one coming by stoppage. His beard's coming in nicely, too. Quiroz is a 3-4 Mexican fighter who has fought for Combate Americas/Global, lost to Kyler Phillips in LFA, and picked up a win on a California regional card called "The Meryl Streep Showcase". (This was in 2017, after the star of Sophie's Choice and The Devil Wears Prada said that "if you kick foreigners out of the US, you'll have nothing left to watch but mixed martial arts--which are not the arts" while accepting a Golden Globe for her role in The Post. The Golden Globes aren't serious awards, anyway.)

180 lb Catchweight: Johnny Cisneros vs. Joshua Jones

Remember when I said that Bellator likes to work with local promoters to fill its undercard? We're getting to that bit now. Cisneros, aka "The Tattooed Terror", is a veteran of California Bellator cards whose most notable fight is a loss to Curtis Millender. He's 13-7. Jones is 10-5, fights out of Antonio McKee's Bodyshop gym, and has mostly traded wins and losses, including a win on the Golden Boy MMA card. Remember that? Good, now you are thinking of elder abuse.

Lightweight: Georgi Karakhanyan vs, Kiefer Crosbie

Another thing to note: Bellator has a broadcast deal with the BBC, and has recently taken to putting British/Irish fighters on earlier to make up for the time difference. Georgi Karakhanyan is a 30-11-1 veteran who's fought just about everyone: he was an original Bellator fighter, lost to Pitbull in Season 2, beat Din Thomas in an LFA card back when they were on HDNet, has wins over PFL darlings Lance Palmer and Bubba Jenkins, and has lost to two other fighters on this card, namely AJ McKee and Emmanuel Sanchez, the latter twice. Crosbie is an SBG Ireland prospect signed as part of Bellator's European expansion, made possible by Viacom wanting cheap content on its Euro channels. He lost to Mike Jackson, but not the same Mike Jackson that beat CM Punk.

Bantamweight: Brian Moore vs. Jordan Winski

Moore is another SBG Ireland guy signed as part of the Euro plan. His Tapology page has as many cancelled fights as it has wins. Winski is making his Bellator debut and, again according to Tapology, is nicknamed "I'm Gonna" Winski.

190lb Catchweight: Justin Barry vs Daniel Compton

Barry is making his pro debut and Compton is a 3-3 Cali regional fighter.

There it is, far too many words about Bellator. It should be a good card despite the insipid commentary, questionable pacing, and the ring announcing "skills" of Michael C. Williams.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Lol at Bellator having fighters like Khabib's cousin and Zabit's little brother. They're probably from real but it really contributes to the knockoff feel.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

My personal take is that Aljo didn't win, but Yan chose to lose. I don't care what Yan's corner may or may not have said, if he didn't internalize the rule that an opponent with a knee down is considered a grounded opponent (this isn't something that changes in the altered rule sets, so one can't use that excuse), that's on him. This isn't some obscure rule from an edge case in the Semaphore days, this is a fundamental part of the UFC's unified rules.

Agree with the first bit, strongly disagree with the second bit. If you lose via DQ, then you should have all the same trappings of losing via decision or any other normal way.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

BlindSite posted:

Aljo being tired and stalling is definitely true. Yan being a really dumb man is also true. I don't think it needs a rule over haul to figure out a solution to it.

IIRC someone posted - somewhere that Yan's corner yelled "hit him, hit him" or "you can hit" and Yan threw the knee but obviously they meant punches.

The way I understand it, is that they used the Russian word for "strike", which like English can mean both kick and punch. "Do I strike him?" "Yes, strike him!" I think DC said Khabib told him this is what happened.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

quote:

This past weekend at BKFC 19, Liddell was part of a special commentary team doing an alternate broadcast for the event on FITE TV headlined by ex-UFC star Paige VanZant and Rachael Ostovich.

During the event, Liddell’s podcast partners from the Drinkin’ Bros network asked him what kind of offer it would take for him to crossover into bare-knuckle fighting.

While he scoffed at $100,000 as a possible dollar amount, Liddell didn’t completely shut down the idea as long as the money and the opportunity were right for him.

“It would all have to depend,” Liddell said during the broadcast. “We’d have to talk about it. Yeah, if they pay enough money, sure. It all depends on what they come up with. We can talk about it. If they’re interested come and talk to me.”

Liddell added that he has chatted with BKFC President Dave Feldman in the past but didn’t say if they’d ever discussed a possible return to the ring.

Liddell, 51, hasn’t competed since 2018 when he suffered a first-round knockout loss to longtime rival Tito Ortiz in a fight for the now defunct Golden Boy MMA.

I like chuck a lot as a personality and a former face of the UFC and hopefully he never fights at BKFC. The most recent Chuck Tito fight was probably the lowest point for me as an MMA fan.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

world b lee posted:

I think if you present your back to your opponent during a fight, at any point in time for any reason, it should be registered as a submission and you should have to give your opponent livestock as penance

Spinning backfists own though. Also that genki sudo clip where he starts looking over his shoulder

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/RyanMcKinnell/status/1420424255242522629

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Weidman really ought to commit to retiring if his leg isn't healing right. A shame for him. I don't like him as a fighter but he deserves better.

Fingers crossed that Conor's doesn't heal right. gently caress Conor.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I wouldn't be confident in either of those guys being capable of taking a physiotherapists recommendations seriously.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1420794421528911874

but dana promised me covid wasn't a problem anymore

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

That really loving blows.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Well that just loving sucks, goddamnit

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Sucks for her. Pena survies for a bit longer

Rest of the card is a good fight night card but not a PPV.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
lewis/gane is a good meme fight and aldo/munhoz, chiesa/luque, yadong/kenney and green/fiziev are all secretly really good fights imo.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
The bolsonaro supporter who lives in Florida getting covid really coming out of nowhere

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

A bunch of twitter commenters who have been paying attention to Chris Weidman's situation are saying he has been training on it, against doctor's orders. Welp.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Stealth Tiger posted:

A bunch of twitter commenters who have been paying attention to Chris Weidman's situation are saying he has been training on it, against doctor's orders. Welp.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQMp4Z3DN4d/?utm_medium=copy_link

oof

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I hope Amanda at least got vaccinated this time around, given last July:

quote:

Nunes said on Thursday during a virtual UFC 250 media day that she had all the Covid-19 symptoms when she returned from Las Vegas but cannot confirm it as she wasn’t tested.

“I was in a convention in Vegas, with people from all over the world, right when the Covid-19 thing started,” Nunes said.

“I left the convention here in Vegas and went home. I started to get real sick when I got home. I’ve never felt that in my life; I was in bed for two or three days.”

Nunes also revealed that she feels that her fiancée Nina Ansaroff caught the virus as she also showed symptoms of the disease. Ansaroff is pregnant and they are expecting a baby boy in September.

“And when I started to get better, Nina started to get sick too,” Nunes said.

“I recovered at home, I was in total quarantine, and Nina went to the emergency [room] real fast because of the baby.

mewse
May 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I hope Amanda at least got vaccinated this time around, given last July:

How's vaccine availability in Brazil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

mewse posted:

How's vaccine availability in Brazil?