Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Anidav posted:

loving clown government.
What if their plan all along was for us to die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

TheLastRoboKy posted:

QLD still has to take responsibility for Clive Palmer so they shouldn't get too cocky here.
Don't forget One Nation.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Fatso returns.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

QLD getting a lockdown starting at 4pm.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Konomex posted:

Just one question, did it escape hotel quarantine or leak from NSW?

At least they're going into a snap lockdown instead of sitting on their hands and waiting to see what happens first.
A student at a high school in the inner south had it and her family, her tutor and someone else got it. The deputy premier said it was implement quickly since it is the delta variant.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

QLD lockdown has been extended to Sunday 4pm.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Wouldn't this mean the trans-Tasman travel bubble will be scrapped?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Well done NSW. As in well done in turning the state into a petri dish.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Konomex posted:

What is this hell world and how did the boomers manage to pull one over us all once again? Don't millennials outnumber them yet?
Boomers get vaxxed while millennials will die off in sufficient numbers to always be outnumbered by boomers.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

I just booked my vaxx. First will be on the 17/09 and the booster 3 weeks later :/

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

10 new locally acquired cases in Qld. All in home quarantine. 1 from overseas in hotel quarantine.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nobody asked to be born here
You didn't leave therefore you have implied you wanna die here.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

The next NSW election can't happen soon enough.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Someone sent this to me. I didn't see it posted.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

save us queensland

Things must be very dire to say that, even in jest.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Konomex posted:

.She was trying to leave Australia via caravan.
I had to look it up. The Principality of Hutt River dissolved last year, Brenda is gonna have egg on her face when she fronts up before the magistrate!

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

go_banana posted:

1029 cases in NSW, 3 deaths.... we won!

What is the next milestone? 10k?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

PalaNIN posted:

NSW's "couch to 5k" is progressing at amazing speed!
It's not a race until it is!

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

That didn't happen
Really?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

droll posted:

Are you all insinuating that he was deliberately infected with either COVID or some other disease? Or are you all claiming that he didn't die of a disease but was murdered by some other means? Or did nobody read the article?
No one is suggesting that he was deliberately infected? He was a doctor treating sick patients of COVID at the beginning of the pandemic, I am not surprised he died of COVID.

quote:

Li warned colleagues on social media in late December about a mysterious virus that would become the coronavirus epidemic and was detained by police in Wuhan on 3 January for “spreading false rumours”. He was forced to sign a police document to admit he had breached the law and had “seriously disrupted social order.”

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

ShoeFly posted:

Political parties are exempt from most of the Spam Act apparently. I also lodged a complaint with ACMA
I submitted a complaint to them too.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

freebooter posted:

I was born and raised in WA. I think not being able to see my family for two years is a small price to pay for their ongoing safety and 2019-esque freedom while I've spent what feels like a million years inside my one-bedroom apartment in Melbourne. But I would like to see them again eventually.
You can see them in a Zoom'd funeral.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Nuclear powered subs? The newly build Queen Elizabeth Aircraft carriers weren't nuclear since (one of the reasons anyway) the UK maintains no surface vessels that are nuclear powered so if they wanted it to be nuclear powered they would have to get technical expertise from France and the US. This is a country with experience of maintaining nuclear submarines. Now we are going to do it to and as evilbastard said we already have problems manning our current forces. As for the whole nuclear power range argument, you still have to get resupplied for ammo and food, part of the French deal was that we could use their bases in their overseas territories to resupply our ships.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Animal Friend posted:

All this does is complicate poo poo not just with China but I imagine Indonesia is going to extremely wary about this.
Indonesia might be wary of Australia but they are dealing with China's 9 dash line bullshit and Chinese fishing boats deliberately targeting their waters. China is pissing off all their neighbours for different reasons we might have to chose sides between China and the rest of Asia.

Animal Friend posted:

We're pawns. And racist ones at that.
Yes

Animal Friend posted:

The narrative is always us against China in the media and no mention of say, Indonesia, Singapore, Philippines ect who are between us and China and tend to feel strongly about their own sovereignty too. But they're the yellow horde, I guess, while we're "civilised". Still counting on ANZUS and the Commonwealth.
Those countries hate China more than us. Their grievances with China go back longer than us.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

This doc file from the wikileaks dump sums up how analysts see Australia's geopolitical position. It does come to the same conclusion as the guy in the video but gives more detail why.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Before work started today we had a toolbox with our company's head safety supervisor. Our company wants to keep a record of who has and who hasn't had a vaccination - this is QLD but I am mildly surprised it has taken this long to get going. I chatted with the onsite safety manager about it and asked him if vaccines be mandatory. He said company policy will probably head in that direction. The attitude around work seems to be apathy, we are in QLD so who cares until you get Covid or you are required to have 1 for work? I got my first Pfizer dose last week.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Well done on calling it so soon.

QLD confirming it is the worst state.

quote:

The Guardian
Another said: “NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.”

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

StrangeThing posted:

It wasn't prudent.

No one should be blocked from leaving the country.

Ever.

For any reason.
So someone who publicly admits going overseas to fight in the Syrian Civil War should be allowed to leave? Nice moral absolutism.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

StrangeThing posted:

We actually do have a choice, in that people should be allowed to leave the country.

Like, I don't even see how this is an argument. We are the *only* country in the world, apart from North Korea, that enacted the type of exit laws we saw during the pandemic. Not even New Zealand did.
You can still apply for a travel exemption? You can't just fly out of the country because you want to get poo poo faced in Bali.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

StrangeThing posted:

It wasn't prudent.

No one should be blocked from leaving the country.

Ever.

For any reason.

StrangeThing posted:

Ah yes, because I’m totally talking about allowing all types of criminals to do what they want. Mmhmm. You are a genius.

These 2 posts conflict with each other. Unless you don't consider criminals humans or something. Also are you ok with law abiding citizens to do what ever they want? You have no nuance in your arguments. You have gone from a very extreme policy position to something more moderate in 4 posts.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

quote:

ABC.
The hospital's chief executive Bernadette McDonald said a parent of a patient had visited before testing positive.

The ABC understands that person was on the cancer ward from Saturday to Monday.

Patients and their parents were told in a letter they must isolate for 14 days in their child's hospital room or at home if they are being discharged.
Oh god, I really hope a patient there doesn't get COVID.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

I got my second Pfizer dose this morning so I am ready now to be coughed and spluttered upon.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Sorry you got to wait about two weeks after your 2nd shot before you can safely return to that exquisite being coughed and sputtered on pre-covid delight. :(
Well poo poo. It has been 6+ hours since my shot and no side effects so I guess I dodged the symptom bullet.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

hooman posted:

The problem with nuclear is the ramp up time, where the wait for reactors and skills is going to be long, which doesn't exist for renewables. We can build the renewables right now and transition, we cannot do that with nuclear plants.
If you asked me 15 years ago should Australia get nuclear power I would say yes. But renewable energy is so good now and continually improving I don't see the point in a place like Australia with a low population and lack of energy intensive industries make it a viable option. So nuclear is a non-starter for myself in Australia for that reason alone.

I think your argument can be turned on its head. Why not invest in the future of power generation? We might build our first reactor in a generation's time but it will give our country more options for power.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

QLD knows what's up.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

StrangeThing posted:

You guys are absolutely hosed. I'd be much more tolerant of you if you just admitted that you're fascists.
Nice avatar you got there.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Glad to see so many people are okay in this thread. :unsmith:
Unsmith emote for a Tim Smith thread? All is not well for our member from Kew!

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Nice url, ABC.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/AnnastaciaMP/status/1457865151873310720/photo/1
QLD is about to open up once it reaches 80% double dosed or Dec 17. Whichever comes first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Surprised this hasn't been posted.
Paul Keating is still v.bad at foreign policy

quote:

The former Australian prime minister Paul Keating has denounced the US- and UK-backed plan for nuclear-powered submarines as “like throwing a handful of toothpicks at the mountain”, declaring Australia should avoid being drawn into a war with China.

The former Labor leader on Wednesday accused the major Australian political parties of losing their way on foreign policy, while dismissing the credibility of the UK’s “tilt” to the Indo-Pacific region.

“Britain is like an old theme park sliding into the Atlantic compared to modern China,” said Keating, who was Australia’s prime minister from 1991 to 1996.

Keating also played down criticism of China’s militarisation of disputed features in the South China Sea by saying “big powers are rude”, and said it would be wrong to insist the increasingly dominant economic power could be only “a stakeholder” in a US-led system.

While he said Beijing was “in the adolescent phase of their diplomacy” and had “testosterone running everywhere”, Australia had no alternative but to engage with an increasingly powerful China.

Keating was most critical of Australia’s plan to work with the US and the UK to acquire at least eight nuclear-propelled submarines, as part of the Aukus partnership, with the first of them unlikely to be in the water until about 2040.

He said Scott Morrison’s Coalition government was wrongly “trying to find our security from Asia rather than in Asia”.
I like how he thinks Asia is some monolithic bloc. Some good barbs tho.