Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Homora Gaykemi posted:

one of the new sydney icu cases is apparently a teenager so good thing we spent the last year saying kids can't get it/are fine if they do

Yes but you see delta variant means you can claim that you were right at the time and don't have to learn any lessons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Animal Friend posted:

Sydney removalist was in SA and Victoria while infectious.

loving hell.

This was bound to happen with an open border

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We're just cheeky larrikins doin some covid crop dusting

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
As long as long covid is a thing I don't know if "just another flu" will be acceptable

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Centusin posted:

It’s very dumb that we have a delta outbreak, a mountain of AZ nobody wants but apparently we can’t use that and instead need to talk about redirecting Pfizer. Based on the current numbers if you vaccinated all of SW and W sydney like 3 people might get blood clots? Just start a campaign encouraging everyone in the area to get an AZ shot, and Pfizer can remain the preferred option for young people in other states.

Apparently 1 dose of AZ does bugger all against delta and the gap between AZ doses is pretty long.
Seems like it won't be a solution to this current outbreak

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We got gay marriage.
Have the 2032 opening ceremony be a mardi gras

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wizard Master posted:

So footage has emerged of the man who is now infamous for "punching" a police horse in yesterday's Sydney protest (See the bottom of this page)
https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/syd-lockdown-protestor-horse-punch/

Except if you watch the footage it's clear that he didn't punch the horse at all - he merely nudged its head with minimal force to get it out if his personal space. The notorious photo just managed to capture the exact moment his fist was contacting the police horse's head. I'd encourage the posters who were baying for his blood this time yesterday and bemoaning how easily influenced people can be by selective/biased media to do a bit of self-reflection.

Wow, he really doesn't punch it. I feel like a bit of a sucker.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Konomex posted:

Doesn't matter how gold standard your contact tracing is if it gets overwhelmed because you didn't lock down HARD and FAST.

This is one of the main lessons with delta I reckon, it moves faster than contact tracing

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Should be 10 X $30m prizes. Everyone would get it done.

That's a good point.
Make it a punt

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Periphery posted:

6 cases in Vic today including the 1 reported yesterday. 3 of them are still unknown sources.

I'd be shocked if we aren't back in lockdown soon. gently caress you Gladys and gently caress you Scomo.

Yeah, I've written off the next few weekends

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

Cool to hear Gladys finally say the quiet part loud today - 'we might just have to learn to live with delta'

get fuuuuuucked.

Could this be a way of saying "there will be more lockdowns and you'll be wearing masks for ages" rather than "letterrip"?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also Dandrews needs to start holding his press conferences in places that don't look like freezing cold windy concrete hellscapes. Just watching this is making me want to put a jumper on.

He could just cross the road to Fitzroy gardens and do it in the conservatory with all the lovely ferns
Probably not covid safe now that I think about it

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There was probably a bit less general covid fatigue last year for Melbourne's big lockdown

Dan seems a bit less scripted in his media briefings

Aside from the mess at the start, the whole city was in the same situation, which maybe created a feeling of solidarity?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eediot Jedi posted:

Am I chicken littlin' or is melbourne about to get owned? Mystery cases aren't going down, number of people infectious in community holding steady, new covid wastewater detections across the city in various diverse suburbs. Seems seeded pretty well and we're waiting for it kick off.

We're in lockdown and can't go outside without a mask. If it's going to kick off what could we do at this point?
You could run around saying the sky is falling and the goose would agree with you

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wow, the police minister is also an epidemiologist.
What a multi skilled chap

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lua posted:

How do you all think the next few years are gonna play out in Australia?

We’re talking about ‘opening up’ at the end of the year, but that’s apparently considered unviable if NSW still has thousands of cases. How are we ever not going to have hundreds or thousands of cases if we’ve returned to some kind of normality? We can barely contain it now, when we’re locked down half the time. Vaccines will help, but the uk is 70% vaccinated and has 29,000 cases per day.

Alternatively, what’s ever gonna change once we’ve vaccinated most people? Is the implicit strategy that we go in and out of restrictions for the rest of time? Domestic eradication with even harder borders? Letting her rip?

When most people are vaccinated we don't have to worry about them ending up in hospital.
Then it's treated like the flu, England style.
Dunno if this is a good idea or not but I reckon that's their plan

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solemn Sloth posted:

Curfew and playground closures are the vibe more than anything else.

Playgrounds are gathering places for shitloads of parents with masks around their necks drinking coffees pretending to keep an eye on their kids
Yesterday was wild in melbourne with the decent weather

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Seemlar posted:

Closure of playgrounds and parks is just another extension of "look at how many people are on a beach in this photo taken with a telephoto lens" nonsense. A pointless punitive measure that makes no difference at all other than making peoples lives that little bit worse.

I think it's playgrounds, not parks, ovals etc.
A playground near the cafe in my area was as packed with adults as any outdoor dining area.
If we accept that crowds are dangerous at the moment it seems like a consistent measure

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

gay picnic defence posted:

57 in vic, thanks Gladys

The ABC article seems to be saying this was expected as a result of 13 day tests coming back or something, I dunno, scary number though :(

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They found lots of wild deer in America with covid apparently

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

droll posted:

Children spread COVID and masks don't cause harm. Why are the Australian governments not enforcing children wearing masks with Delta spreading exponentially?

I think initially the idea was that they wouldn't wear them properly anyway, and people are still in denial about the risk to them.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

droll posted:

The one that the data says is less efficacious. Can you share your data that suggests they're all the same?

If you ask a doctor they will tell you to get vaccinated as soon as possible with whatever is available now, they can interpret data too. Virologists don't even fully buy into the "x% efficacious" numbers, it's way more nuanced.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm not over 60 and I had utterly no hesitation to get AZ. Because the scares over blood clots in the media was loving ridiculous.

Same, it's pretty hosed how the messaging about az got hijacked

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

abigserve posted:

One of my wife's friends in the US is saying that it's spreading through their school even with vaccinations* :( we aren't safe even with the vaccine :(((((

* in idaho, the third lowest state on vaccinations lmao

Vaccines don't prevent infection or spread, they prevent serious disease
There was a lecture by the royal children's Hospital in Melbourne for new parents and they said every child will get covid at some point.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm at the "applying for non-combat entry level tech positions in the ADF" stage of depression and unemployment.

I did the entrance exam for the loving cops when I was 19 depressed and had no idea what to do
I went to a housewarming the night before, got real drunk and stayed up all night, did really well on the exam and then found out I'm significantly colourblind during the medical.

To this day I'm very glad I didn't join cops

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

Do they not let you in if your colourblind, so they can make sure you can identify who to left off with a warning and to throw down a flight of stairs or something?

: Depressing dad joke :

That's what I was thinking, I can't read the numbers hidden in the dots so maybe I couldn't admininster the paper bag test

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

StrangeThing posted:

This is some pretty serious fear-mongering. Pfizer effectiveness reduces against transmission, yes, but maintains its effectiveness against serious disease and death.

The Melbourne roadmap is completely reasonable and I've yet to see a realistic alternative..

Yeah they were talking about this on twiv recently. They can measure a decline in antibodies of one kind but no real change in outcomes of hospitalisation and death. The booster issue is debated among legitimate scientists.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Breetai posted:

How about Astrazeneca? I got my first shot a day before the initial disallowment for under 40s and since had my second shot, but won't likely be able to access Pfizer until Australia has its booster plans sorted whenever that is.

Same deal as the mrnas, it remains effective at preventing serious disease

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's been vaccine scepticism as long as there's been vaccines.
We have the internet now though, and diseases are less rampant in general so people think this is the natural state of things and not an achievement of medical science

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Rightly or wrongly, some people have a visceral dislike of violence, regardless of the justification.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lolie posted:

Really feeling for Melbourne today. I remember what it was like watching our numbers go up and up with no end in sight.

I just ignore the numbers cos caring about them is basically self harm at this point.
I care about all the damage it's causing to people but I can't do anything, can't get much more lockdown-ed than we are now and it's not working so I just mentally surrendered and focus on running and making art

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think there might be a limit of lockdown duration that the population will tolerate before compliance starts breaking down.
Maybe Melbourne has used up all it's lockdown

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Essendon fans know how important it is to get the jab at least

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tomberforce posted:

Seems about right for international or interstate family. I haven't seen my family in the UK since mid 2018 and would generally go back once every 2 years. Covid hit towards the end of that period so it's been significantly longer than the restrictions have been in force.

But you were able to see them until about last March.
In the sense that you weren't prevented by covid measures

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

teacup posted:

But these people aren’t saying “I was able to see my parents but haven’t” they are saying “I haven’t seen my parents in x years”

It’s not that difficult to understand and pretty lovely to pick on folks who miss their family. Plenty of people have been affected in different ways due to this pandemic.

Sorry I wasn't trying to be pedantic to people missing their families
I was trying to illustrate where the disagreement lies

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lolie posted:

That's worse than the highest number of daily cases NSW has had during the current outbreak. Vic health system is already groaning under the weight. I don't see how they can stick to the roadmap at this time.

We're staying under the doona forever, thank you very much

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We've been through this, Melbourne used up all it's lockdown compliance, now we just do whatever

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Australians being rule followers will maybe result in a high rate of vaccination when it's all said and done

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hashy posted:

Can kids get vaccinated?

This question worries me but there seems to be a sense of inevitability to opening up and back to school now for better or worse. I haven't heard the government address it much beyond talking about ventilation. I think Pfizer is getting eua in America for young kids pretty soon, probably too late for kids here though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eediot Jedi posted:

I love stories like "I was undecided about getting vaccinated, but when it was made mandatory I decided not to". Powerful I'm 12 years old you can't tell me what to do now energy.

I like how googling a few anti vax sites and watching some YouTube is called 'research' now.