Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Vaccine trip report: had a cold this week, returned a negative covid test, mostly over it but still had a cough this morning so when I filled out the check in app details honestly I was not allowed to enter the vaccination clinic.

Thanks for your honesty! Next available appointment is in September.

Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

freebooter posted:

This always bugs me. More so in the UK where I was lucky to get a GP appointment at all within three weeks (and where you're forbidden from going anywhere other than your local GP that you are registered at), but even here, I don't think I've ever had a regular GP in my life.

Both times I went for covid tests, I got looked at as if they'd just realised I was driving a spaceship when I answered "no, I don't have a regular GP". I'm in my mid 30s.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Ian Stewart Mellowship refused bail after allegedly threatening to harm Treasurer Josh Frydenberg

quote:

A West Australian man accused of travelling to Canberra to "flog" Treasurer Josh Frydenberg is behind bars after he was refused bail in the ACT Magistrates Court today.

The court heard Ian Stewart Mellowship had gone to the Treasury building as well as Parliament House, telling security staff about his plan.

Representing himself, he told the court he should be released.

"I'm one of the kindest people in the community – there's no need for bail to be refused," Mr Mellowship said.

Chief Magistrate Walker refused him bail, and also refused to accept his guilty pleas.

She invited him to seek legal advice, suggesting the stakes were high.

"You are looking at the prospect of going to prison," she said.

She also told the court she had concerns about Mr Mellowship's fitness to plead.

In response, Mr Mellowship said there was no need for an assessment about his fitness to enter a plea.

"I'm understanding ... I am not a retard," he said.

The case will be back in court next month.

Honorary Queenslander.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-23/zero-covid-just-not-possible-gladys-berejiklian-says/100400692

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Doc Holliday posted:

It makes sense for Tasmania because their ICU and specialty wards are effectively in Melbourne. It's been years since I've been to Tasmania but at a guess I'd say Royal Hobart is still a glorified triage unit in terms of capability. Like sending anything more than a stubbed toe in Broken Hill to Adelaide for treatment.

Yeah pretty much. The Royal has been at/over capacity for a long time and from what I've heard ramping is well... rampant. The government knew if we got a serious outbreak we'd hit critical levels of space/staff in a short time, so they went early and hard with the border closure.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Yes it's all part of god's plan.

Actual reasoning why Catholics (some) are against IVF.

Not really; Catholic opposition to IVF stems from the fact that a lot of excess embryos are created and are generally destroyed at the end of the process.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

The Artificial Kid posted:

This the kind of religious consistency that I feel a certain sly appreciation for.

"No you can't wear a rubber, but you also can't get IVF. Knock your wife up as God intended IMMEDIATELY, if you even can, loser!"

Yeah, you obviously need to accept the central premise, but it all has a somewhat consistent internal logic (having a few millenia to get your ducks in a row helps).

Capt.Whorebags posted:

True, but I have had this conversation with religious types and talked about donating unused embryos but any form of ART hit a brick wall of "God has other plans for you". I don't talk to those people anymore and it's a win-win.

However, on the other hand you get lots of things it seems like they'd want to be able to say "yes" to (like assisted reproductive tech, or allowing the impotent to marry) but have to say "no" to because they already said "no" to a bunch of other fun stuff that would make them contradict themselves.

There was a theologian (not Catholic, probably not even very mainstream Protestant) I found quoted I was reading up on earlier this year who had a different interpretation all the anti-gay stuff, who said something about his approach that boiled down to "any interpretation of scripture should hold the value of 'love' as most central" or something like that. It sounded a lot more to me like something Jesus would say than "you can't jerk it into a test tube to get your wife pregnant", but I'm far from an expert on anything.

I mean, I get why the Catechism and canon law and all this stuff exist, but as an outsider you can't read all the bits in the New Testament with Jesus having a go at the Pharisees and not go :thunk:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

i know somebody who was real hesitant and only gonna get vaccinated because they werent allowed in the pub again otherwise. now theyve heard the governemnt said come december unvaccinated peopel will be allowed to do whatever, theyve decided to wait it out lol

This is very believable :(

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Synthbuttrange posted:

‘A COVID-positive 31-year-old NSW man who arrived in Tasmania without a valid border pass fled hotel quarantine and was found by police yesterday afternoon at an address in Hobart's northern suburbs, Premier Peter Gutwein says.‘

There goes tasmania I guess

It boggles my mind that apparently airports/airlines can't get their acts together enough to actually check if someone has a valid G2G pass before allowing them to board a flight . This is the same thing that happened in Launceston a month or two ago, except the idiot had the decency to stay in the room they stuffed him in overnight before he hopped back on a plane to where he came from.

Speaks volumes for how effective we can expect the "show proof of vaccination for entrance" restrictions to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Southern Tasmania's 3 day lockdown ends at 6pm tonight - no new cases in the community, record levels of testing over the weekend, etc. I think of the 14 close contacts (people in the house with him) a plurality had returned negative results, with the rest currently pending.

A mask mandate remains in effect through 6pm Friday - Tasmania didn't have any kind of existing mask mandate outside of the state-run vaccination clinics here owing to the lack of community transmission for so long. There are a lot of things on - the Royal Hobart Show, some WBBL games, and a bunch of Year 10 Leaver's dinners, that look like they're going to go ahead with masks.

The evidence we have so far (negative tests from all the close contacts, who were in closer, more sustained contact than the people out in the community) suggests maybe the guy from NSW wasn't shedding a significant amount of the virus, which would be a very lucky thing. Between that and the kid in Launceston jumping quarantine to go to the IGA, Tasmania seems to have dodged a few bullets, hopefully that luck holds.